• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It didn't help that there wasn't a live-action Kimba to crib from either
rLKfhpR.gif

Oct 2, 2018
curious who saw the early clips of the emotionless animals and thought it was good. they must have worked on the VFX in segments and went and watched the early previz.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
I remember people were harping on Andy Serkis' Mowgli for the animals having cartoony/human like faces, but now we see why they were designed that way. Serkis is pretty much a master of the craft so he knows what works and what doesn't.
Meanwhile both Jungle Book and Lion King will make millions more than Mowgli; Disney knows what sells.

Not harping on the film, but their "live action" fare are clear money grabs above all.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
...why do I feel like those anime gifs we've seen around like the cupcake-trauma dog, wriggling cat, perpetual frowner cat hell even those barn owls cackling and gulping down rats are way more expressive than a freaking million dollars production from motherfucking DISNEY?

Like, what's their end goal here? Making an independently entertaining photorealistic remake for the Lion King or just making another documentary fodder for NatGeo?

My Neighbor Totoro

Alt-Account
Apr 7, 2019
I was expecting the new Lion King movie to be great! It only got a 57% on MC and it's rotten on RT?

So disappointing. The Lion King was one of my favorite movies ever. I love Disney movies. Snow White, Pinocchio, Dumbo, 100 Dalmatians, Mary Poppins, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Mulan

Why don't their Live Action counterparts come even close to their OG?

Last edited:

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting the new Lion King movie to be great! It only got a 57% on MC and it's rotten on RT?

So disappointing. The Lion King was one of my favorite movies ever. I love Disney movies. Snow White, Pinocchio, Dumbo, 100 Dalmatians, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Mulan

Because nobody asked for them. These live action remakes are bald-faced cash grabs.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
In the end, Will Smith and his hip hop Genie won!

Never doubt the Fresh Prince!

giphy.gif
Aladdin is very absurd and stupid. Ewww, there were so many weird stuff that felt so out of place especially during a song number in the gold cave. Hiphop in a middle age era? Hmmm okay, that makes so much sense. And I havent even mentioned other stuff

But for the lion king itself, im kinda excited. My first time watching the movie, not sure if it has the animated version on nx but i think i will watch it later. Been hearing about the good news for the movie, and i also heard that the first lion king was adapted from shakespeare's play?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Because these are pointless endeavors borne out of a cynical desire to squeeze money out of people's nostalgia, instead of originating from any creative desire or direction.

What does turning The Lion King into a grounded, live action lookalike do for a mythical and majestic story presentation? How does robbing the original picture of its wonderfully diverse color palette improve the film's aesthetic? How are the characters bettered by eliminating any semblance of personality or expression from their faces?

It does nothing, it improves nothing, it betters nothing.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Even with the Disney Stamp, a kid's flick, and how strong the base content is. It's amazing how poorly this is reviewing

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
The nostalgia should've come from recapturing the spirit and playfulness of the original movies, not from dull and "grounded" versions of the same scenes. I was looking forward to this one because it was entirely CGI. They could have gone crazy with the visuals and colors to recapture the tone that all the 90s Disney animated movies have, but they didn't.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Aladdin is very absurd and stupid. Ewww, there were so many weird stuff that felt so out of place especially during a song number in the gold cave. Hiphop in a middle age era? Hmmm okay, that makes so much sense. And I havent even mentioned other stuff
Where as those Jack Nicholson, Groucho Marx and Arnold Schwarzenegger impressions were all era appropriate.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Because these are pointless endeavors borne out of a cynical desire to squeeze money out of people's nostalgia, instead of originating from any creative desire or direction.

What does turning The Lion King into a grounded, live action lookalike do for a mythical and majestic story presentation? How does robbing the original picture of its wonderfully diverse color palette improve the film's aesthetic? How are the characters bettered by eliminating any semblance of personality or expression from their faces?

It does nothing, it improves nothing, it betters nothing.
There's a reason the Jungle Book has been the only really good one. It actually had a point artistically. It was much darker than the original film, closer in tone to the original books. It paid homage to the 2D animated film but not recreating its plot beat for beat. Also Mowgli actually had a personality and arc rather than just being carried by the wacky animals.

Last edited:

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017

But for the lion king itself, im kinda excited. My first time watching the movie, not sure if it has the animated version on nx but i think i will watch it later. Been hearing about the good news for the movie, and i also heard that the first lion king was adapted from shakespeare's play?

And jazz in a "middle age era" makes sense?

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
It's obviously a stylistic choice to have the movie be super realistic.. and they definitely succeeded in doing that. But who's smart idea was it to do that in the first place and thought it would look good?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

Disney's original Aladdin had contemporary music, pop culture references and colloquialisms in it. I don't see how hiphop is any less appropriate.

Anyway, lion king is VERY LOOSELY based on Hamlet, apparently

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
It's big budget Air Bud. Been saying this for years now. Real talking animals look dumb as fuck and The Jungle Book gets away with it because the human character anchors the drama.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Of course no. That doesnt make any sense. How come it does?

How old are you?

The original Aladdin had that and much more. And was hugely popular. One of the most beloved animated movies of all time. They're cartoons...

The original had Arnold Schwarzenegger impressions. The genie even turns the monkey into a car in the original.

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...why do I feel like those anime gifs we've seen around like the cupcake-trauma dog, wriggling cat, perpetual frowner cat hell even those barn owls cackling and gulping down rats are way more expressive than a freaking million dollars production from motherfucking DISNEY?

Like, what's their end goal here? Making an independently entertaining photorealistic remake for the Lion King or just making another documentary fodder for NatGeo?
Why I cannot unserstand is why they didn't make it similar to Aslan.
D_J1Z-2UIAIMacB.jpg

D_J1aPEUwAMndwU.jpg

D_J1ZsLUwAExhxu.jpg

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Meanwhile both Jungle Book and Lion King will make millions more than Mowgli; Disney knows what sells.

Not harping on the film, but their "live action" fare are clear money grabs above all.
Both jungle book and lion king are remakes of two of the most popular animated films of all time and Disney has a cult like fan base of course they would make more but mowgli came out on Netflix regardless.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017

It was adapted from the Shakespeare play "Kimba the white dog"

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
When I watched Jahns and Stuckmann's reviews, it pretty much hit a concern of mine regarding the expressions of these "realistic" CG animals. Sometimes cartoons, or "cartoony" designs work BETTER at expressing emotions than realism. The more exaggerated the features, the bigger the eyes, the more you can convey to the audience, especially with non-human characters.

I gave the whole "live action"/"realistic CG" remakes a chance, but generally was let down (only one I'm fine with was Jungle Book). Everything else, even the new Maleficent (saw the trailer and, WTF with another forced "fantasy war", which I could've sworn there was something like that in the first one, and that stupid Wonderland War in Tim Burton's live action Alice in Wonderland, urgh...), it's like the late Eisner era all over again. The era where Disney was releasing too many sequels to their movies and crap like Home on the Range. The dark point that took some time to get through until we got Tangled, then Frozen. Circle's, well, circled back around and nobody learned from the past, and well, seem to be willfully ignorant of it.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
My only hope is once they remake as much as they can live action. They'll surely be forced into bringing back 2D animation something for the nostalgia bucks.
"A Classic Disney style finally returns"
Marketing writes itself

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
So Jungle Book 2016 still the only legit good remake?

I mean I will check this film out just for the shits and giggles! My only gripe with the live action remakes is Disney's insistence of using their more popular IPs, instead of say vindicate the Black Cauldron!

There's a reason the Jungle Book has been the only really good one. It actually had a point artistically. It was much darker than the original film, closer in tone to the original books. It paid homage to the 2D animated film but not recreating its plot beat for beat. Also Mowgli actually had a personality and arc rather than just being carried by the wacky animals.

Agreed. I would always express how "in name only" the animated film was. Also Mowgli was just flat-out obnoxious and unreasonable in the animated film.