• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Initial reaction to Lion King CG/live action remake footage: "Holy fuck, it's The Lion King, only hyperreal, like a nature documentary. Amazing!"

Several months later, near release: "What the fuck dude, it's The Lion King, only hyperreal, like a nature documentary, ugh!"

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's a shame they went full realism on this, I get this was the intent, but every looks so... bland.
A little more of color here and there would done wonders for the movie visual.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
The only good thing about all these animated remakes is that there are only so many more they've got in the catalog to do.

Who am I kidding, we'll get a live-action Toy Story remake within the next five years.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
hand drawn animation will always beat CGI crap

1994 lion king still looks majestic cause it's art, toy story 1 looks like a ps1 game
Into the Spider-Verse and Promare are both full of CGI and they're two of the best looking animated films I've ever seen.

Even on the low end (or very, very low end) of 3DCG animation there's still some neat stuff that can be done with it that would be prohibitively expensive or difficult to do in traditional animation. Some scenes in Kemono Friends and Kemurikusa come to mind here, or the more bonkers sequences in some of the more out-there idol anime like KinPri. It definitely has its place.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Said it looked soulless in comparison. Reviews seem to indicate that was right on the money.
When I was a kid I never could suspend disbelief that the animals were all sapient but also fine with royalty literally eating them alive, and now this movies getting reviews like "photo realistic snuff film" lmfao

Into the Spider-Verse and Promare are both full of CGI and they're two of the best looking animated films I've ever seen.

Even on the low end (or very, very low end) of 3DCG animation there's still some neat stuff that can be done with it that would be prohibitively expensive or difficult to do in traditional animation. Some scenes in Kemono Friends and Kemurikusa come to mind here, or the more bonkers sequences in some of the more out-there idol anime like KinPri. It definitely has its place.

Ratatouille is still one of the best looking animated movies. There's lots of great looking stop motion movies too.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still gonna be like the first time I watch a Disney (not Pixar, not Marvel, not Star Wars, etc.) at theatres in like a decade. Some of the reactions are predictable after the reveal, but I still think this is gonna resonate well with the public.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The CGI isn't the problem lol

The photorealism looks stunning it's just that it's so real you can't get human expressions that are crucial to musicals

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
How is it even possible for this to feel like a strict, almost shot-for-shot remake when it's 30 minutes longer than the original!?
Yeah, wondering this too, especially because I've seen multiple people mention that the only changes are things that are shortened or cut from the original, making the longer running time very suspect. Perhaps they just fucked up the pacing of the scenes and have all scenes take longer.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, wondering this too, especially because I've seen multiple people mention that the only changes are things that are shortened or cut from the original, making the longer running time very suspect. Perhaps they just fucked up the pacing of the scenes and have all scenes take longer.

animated characters can move faster than photorealistic ones so yeah its probably just a pacing thing

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
4vrREd7.gif
Can anyone confirm if this still happen in the movie?
Some review mention there's new scenes one of which involving Scar.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Some review mention there's new scenes one of which involving Scar.
True, there's that scene and the new Beyoncé song, but at the same time they more than halved the Be Prepared sequence and they cut out the scene where Rafiki hits Simba on the head, so that kind of evens each other out, I'd think. A couple of new scenes probably wouldn't equal half an hour extra.

It's probably pacing.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I figured near shot-for-shot scenes would be the nail in the coffin for critics. It's still bizarre to me how Jon Favreau directed this film because it sure doesn't seem like it.

The landscape alone seems so dreary. You would think furries would be a sure fire hit audience, but instead my timeline is filled with a resounding "Why?"

Either way, I'm sure it will make a billion dollars regardless. Way to go, general audiences.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Any idea what they've done with
Simba's dad appearing in the clouds? Did they keep that supernatural aspect or did they try something more "realistic"

Last edited:

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
This movie keeps looking worse and worse the more stuff comes out.
I'll probably just stream it someday at this point.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna check it out for a purely visual interest, but some of these clips look very uncanny valley.

Alita might end up having the best VFX of the year after all.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Disney always has at least one blunder in them every year. Who knew it would be the mighty Lion King.

Nah, Dumbo had lower reviews and will gross significantly less than this will (Lion King will probably out gross Dumbo's whole run in the first weekend.)

They already have the Blood Sacrifice for next year on hand though (It was originally suppose to be this year's).

220px-Artemis_Fowl_poster.jpg

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What is it with those awful hot takes?
That's not even really a hot take. As someone who liked the movie, I'm not sure what was so spectacular about it to give it near 90% freshness. Hell, TLK scored lower than Thor the Dark World, and you'd have a hard time convincing me this movie is significantly worse than that shit.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Initial reaction to Lion King CG/live action remake footage: "Holy fuck, it's The Lion King, only hyperreal, like a nature documentary. Amazing!"

Several months later, near release: "What the fuck dude, it's The Lion King, only hyperreal, like a nature documentary, ugh!"
To be fair, in a teaser, when the visuals and music are all you have to go on, it's very technically impressive. Like there's no reason why the Circle of Life sequence, which was the teaser trailer, can't translate well to CG because it's just that song and visual spectacle. I've read even the most critical reviews that have praised that sequence.

It's when the animals start talking and it gets compared to the more abstract parts of the original that the realistic imagery falls apart.

Any idea what they've done with
Simba's dad appearing in the clouds? Did they keep that supernatural aspect or did they try something more "realistic"
There's a glimpse of it in this trailer. It's still supernatural.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You meant the cartoon with the blue genie? It is on netflix but i never watched that version before. The only disney franchises that i watched are moana, and wreck it ralph i think (outside of avengers)
Being out of place is the point of Genie as a character. He can do whatever the fuck he wants except free himself.

Why I cannot unserstand is why they didn't make it similar to Aslan.
D_J1Z-2UIAIMacB.jpg

D_J1aPEUwAMndwU.jpg

D_J1ZsLUwAExhxu.jpg
Jon said why. He wanted to go all in on the photo realism angle. If you watched his previous LA remake work with TJB he clearly has a grasp on how to make animals look realistic whilst still emoting properly. I really wish he would have just continued with that style when it came to TLK as well.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
The only good thing about all these animated remakes is that there are only so many more they've got in the catalog to do.

Who am I kidding, we'll get a live-action Toy Story remake within the next five years.
LOL, but also fuck. You know that's going to come some day. I dread the inevitable live action craze affecting Pixar's masterpieces. I sincerely hope they don't touch any of Miyazaki's works.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Disney released three remakes this year alone. Chill, Disney.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
LOL, but also fuck. You know that's going to come some day. I dread the inevitable live action craze affecting Pixar's masterpieces. I sincerely hope they don't touch any of Miyazaki's works.
Actually kind of suprised we haven't seen a western live action Spirited Away attempt to open a gateway to shoddy remakes of all Ghibli films. I'd wager it'll happen at some point.