• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
There will be at least a fourth by the end of the year:

yEAnPRI.jpg
IDK why but this angers me more than anything. I never even saw the original!

It just reeks of desperation, haha. Fugg.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
You know, some part of me was thinking the trailers were just awkwardly shot, but that there was still some good here. I mean, this was the one remake they put all their marketing money in.

Aladdin and Dumbo kind of came out of nowhere, they showed some trailers and posters were distributed shortly before release, but that was it. Every single big movie I've seen since April has had The Lion King trailer attached, I saw posters for that movie since March. Eveything pointed towards Disney having immense faith in this, just to fall flat on their faces.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Jesus, that Hakuna Matata clip is bad. I don't mind Donald Glover's singing, but why would you take a scene that was previously made up of characters dancing through multiple different environments and make it a long tracking shot of them just walking through one?!

And that's without even mentioning the lack of personality in the animals, which everyone else has covered.

I'm genuinely surprised the film has turned out like this; Favreau is a good director, and The Jungle Book was a decent adaptation.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
everything is so generic looking im having trouble imagining what the merchandising will even look like. a simba toy will look like your average lion. a pumbaa toy will legit be too disgusting/horrifying. rafiki can still work, i think.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell. The new version totally lacks soul and charm. Wonder what the new version of "I just can't wait to be king" looks like.

AV Club review

Early showstopper "I Just Can't Wait To Be King" was practically a Busby Berkeley number. But because real animals could never stack on top of each other like that (silly!), the new version finds Simba and love interest Nala (Shahadi Wright Joseph at first, Beyoncé later) trading lines while… running through a stream.

ThankfulPortlyJapanesebeetle-size_restricted.gif

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, how did people think that musical number would realistically go down?
To be fair, the people in charge should'v realized TLK wouldn't work with this misguided aesthetic direction.

I always figured it was going to be lame compared to the original sequence, but it seems like they did nothing at all.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly The Fox and the Hound live action could work. The original material it was based on was a lot darker than the animated one and would likely make all the children very upset though.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
Beyonce and company would have been better off putting out a Lion King tribute album than just dubbing over some Animal Planet shit.

Mulan will be the best live action film.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
It's like people see these films out of some strange obligation.

Disney is the most creatively bankrupt studio in existence and they own the most market. Sad state of affairs.
Disney movies are just inherently... safe. Both kids and adults are familiar with the properties, so it's easy money for Disney, and an easy buy for parents and those nostalgic for the IPs. Parents will want to take their kids to see a movie, see that Lion King is coming out again and feel safe that their money will be well spent on quality entertainment for them and their kids. Old fans will not want to "gamble" their money on a potentially bad or boring movie, but recognize the Lion King and feel safe spending $12+ on a movie ticket. Something more experimental and weird such as, idk, Midsommar, may be perceived as a "risk" to spend their hard earned money on that movie. Many people go to the movies just for fun, and many may be deterred by "weird" movies coming out. Lion King is a safe buy, whether it's good or not.

However, the whole realistic approach may backfire in regard to it being "safe" for parents, imo. If the movie is equally as menacing as the original but with the utterly real design, I can see kids being scared and parents wary to take their kids to another live action Disney affair.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
My only hope is once they remake as much as they can live action. They'll surely be forced into bringing back 2D animation something for the nostalgia bucks.
"A Classic Disney style finally returns"
Marketing writes itself

That would be the dream.

Never happening tho.

This probably is even worse than Lion King

Did they pick the right dog breed for the tramp?

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, how did people think that musical number would realistically go down?

Many people didn't think it could go down with this style, which is the problem. It's also the problem they face with the Peter Pan remake, considering the Hook/Smee/Crocodile slapstick interactions are a big part of what make the movie, and they absolutely can't be done in live action. But I guess they're recognizing this and changing that remake up, which means it has a potential that this one never did.

Like, imagine this scene but in live action, played straight.

It couldn't happen, and just making it be a scene where Hook and Smee are chased out of the cave by a realistic looking and acting crocodile would be completely worthless. But that's essentially what they did with this movie. Bizarre.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Nope. I'm good thanks. Why couldn't we get the hyper realistic look, but also the charm and fun of the original classic. Was that too much to ask? This version seems really boring and dull.

Did we really need to see Nyla take a shit mid song to make it realistic to the real world?

I'm out
I'm pretty sure he was joking.

..pretty sure. I could be wrong!

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Anyone in this thread who progressively likes the new version of "Be prepared" the more you listen to it? (Or at least changed the "This fucking sucks" initial view)?

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Before any other Live Action movies by Disney are made, we need The Country Bears 2

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Many people didn't think it could go down with this style, which is the problem. It's also the problem they face with the Peter Pan remake, considering the Hook/Smee/Crocodile slapstick interactions are a big part of what make the movie, and they absolutely can't be done in live action. But I guess they're recognizing this and changing that remake up, which means it has a potential that this one never did.

Like, imagine this scene but in live action, played straight.

It couldn't happen, and just making it be a scene where Hook and Smee are chased out of the cave by a realistic looking and acting crocodile would be completely worthless. But that's essentially what they did with this movie. Bizarre.

Well Spielberg found his own unique solution in Hook.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

Who asked them to make this film be Planet Earth but the animals talk? They could have made a CGI Lion King but have the animals be fantastical in their behaviour and expression like they've done in Narnia and other live action films with animals.

tumblr_ppuyrwy0QA1re4j67_540.gif

This is from 2005.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Well Spielberg found his own unique solution in Hook.

Yeah I was going to say, I have no doubt that Hook and Smee can be completely nailed in live action because Spielberg showed that it can be done. But the Crocodile will have to be completely retooled, and thus the tone of the movie will have to be completely retooled, in a live action version of the story from the animated film. Which apparently is what they are doing, which is a good call. The point being, for Lion King, if they were dead set on this ultra-realistic take on the story, they should have considered something other than a line for line remake.

With Peter Pan, if you remove the comedic nature of the Crocodile, and rightfully do away with all of the "red man" stuff, you basically lose half of the scenes in the movie, and have no choice but to retool everything. With Lion King, if you remove the expressiveness of the characters, you're also losing half of the movie, and would be better off retooling it as well.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
This looks like it's gonna suffer from the exact same exact problem as TLK. I'm just imagining two photorealistic dogs with blank stares and straight faces slowly eating a spaghetti noodle until they meet in the middle and you realize that dogs kissing each other is kinda gross.

At least it's intended as an homage to those movies where they just put voice overs over normal ass dogs like Homeward Bound and the like.

-------

Hopefully the reception of this movie is a fucking wake up call for Disney.

Pull your head out of your ass and quit the realism bullshit. Noone gives a fuck how "realistic" your remakes are. Put more effort into these if you have to do them. Almost all the voice acting, acting, and songs all sound so tired and bored.

These have basically all looked like the Sonic movie to me and it blows my fucking mind that they've done as well as they did.

I see Beast's design in the remake and it's just no better than Sonic's movie design. And that movie was a huge success. Like what the actual fuck.

I mean

maxresdefault.jpg

fucking really?