• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
Just read that this movie smashed the all time opening weekend record in the Netherlands, even beating Endgame? Wtf...?!

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it. Thing is, even with the loss of visual variety and poorer voice acting The Lion King is still a fundamentally good movie base, so basically ripping it off still produces something good. And when he wasn't phoning it in, James Earl Jones still got me choked up with his emotional high points.

Don't get me wrong, I'll never watch it again as the animated version is far superior, but as a one-off cinema experience it was really enjoyable and the CG was amazing.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here seen it in a non-English language?

One of my biggest beefs was the poor acting, so I'm planning to watch it in German to see if it's improved by having professional dubbing actors instead of Disney stunt casting.
(Plus, they got the original young Nala actress back to play adult Nala, which is just the most wholesome thing ever.)

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
The movie was OK. I didn't like the voice acting.

And the animals lack of expression ruined this for me. Especially the Timon and Pumba parts.

It felt flat and dead.

Housecat

Oct 25, 2017

One of my biggest beefs was the poor acting, so I'm planning to watch it in German to see if it's improved by having professional dubbing actors instead of Disney stunt casting.
(Plus, they got the original young Nala actress back to play adult Nala, which is just the most wholesome thing ever.)

I like the original Norwegian voices and songs more than the original English ones, but the new Norwegian ones aren't great based on the songs and trailers. I'll check out the new Norwegian version when I get the chance though.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it. Thing is, even with the loss of visual variety and poorer voice acting The Lion King is still a fundamentally good movie base, so basically ripping it off still produces something good. And when he wasn't phoning it in, James Earl Jones still got me choked up with his emotional high points.

Don't get me wrong, I'll never watch it again as the animated version is far superior, but as a one-off cinema experience it was really enjoyable and the CG was amazing.
Exactly how I felt after watching it.

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

The German dub is one of their poorer efforts in recent years (compared ie to Star Wars, which has some of the greatest dubbing efforts ever recently).

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Me too...

The emotional scenes hit me as hard as when I first saw them in the cartoon.
i'm really curious how people who never saw the original react to this movie
i feel like the memories of the original are "filling in the blanks" for this movie
would most people like it as much if it wasn't just reminding of the original?

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

I plan on seeing the Japanese dub when the film hits next month.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
i feel like the memories of the original are "filling in the blanks" for this movie

Very good question actually ... I don't even know for myself.

Oct 2, 2018

I felt bad for the kids in my cinema. There was no laughter. Nothing. Not even during hakuna Matata *which is like the funnest song ever - also * I cant wait to be king.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
I felt bad for the kids in my cinema. There was no laughter. Nothing. Not even during hakuna Matata *which is like the funnest song ever - also * I cant wait to be king.
Kids at my showing laughed and reacted .... It's all anecdotal evidence...

My theory on this film is your enjoyment depends on how much of an animal lover you are. The animals are so realistic and not anthropomorphized that you can't relate to them the same way. But having always lived with cats and dogs, it never bothered me. I can read my animals' emotions without them smiling or laughing.

Last edited:

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Oh man, my audience ate this movie up, especially all the jokes with Timon and Pumbaa. I'm sure the kids had a good time.

I feel bad for anyone that discovers this new Lion King before the original because damn.
I direct high school theatre and we did Beauty and the Beast last year. The kid who played the Beast still hasn't seen the original cartoon, the live-action version is all he knows.

We're old, dwi.

Oct 2, 2018
Oh man, my audience ate this movie up, especially all the jokes with Timon and Pumbaa. I'm sure the kids had a good time.

I direct high school theatre and we did Beauty and the Beast last year. The kid who played the Beast still hasn't seen the original cartoon, the live-action version is all he knows.

We're old, dwi.

the only person that laughed heaps was some old sounding dude in the back row. The rest of the 80% full cinema was dead quiet throughout. Even during the comedic bits. I laughed at beyonce's terrible line delivery.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Kids at my showing laughed and reacted .... It's all anecdotal evidence...

My theory on this film is your enjoyment depends on how much of an animal lover you are. The animals are so realistic and not anthropomorphized that you can't relate to them the same way. But having always lived with cats and dogs, it never bothered me. I can't read my animals' emotions without them smiling or laughing.

I think there may be some truth to this. I disagree with the "lack of emotion " criticism, but maybe it's because I picked up on the body language cues. I'm not even an animal lover, but joy, fear, love, envy/disappointment , anger - I could read it on these characters. Emotions weren't written solely on their faces though

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think they wanted to avoid the goose stepping Hyenas as the song already is basically Trump talking to his supporters and republican congress pre 2016.

They didn't need to goosestep. It would have been physically impossible for them to do that anyway with the film's photoreal angle. But they just did nothing with it.

how is the 3D guys? going tomorrow IMAX 3D

There's depth to the image but made little difference to be honest, except when there was a bunch of particles on screen, like water or pollen or something.

Last edited:

a916

Oct 25, 2017
It was kind of hollow... a solid remake but it ultimately came across as hollow. Also Glover sounded like he just mailed it in lol, he was half asleep or baked during some of those lines...

Him and Beyonce was an odd pair when they were singing together. Beyonce was crooning her ass off and Glover, no offense, can't do that... so you end up with this mishmash that ultimately just sounds so off. They can't match each other and I wonder if that just Beyonce's refusal and her always wanting to be the one shining.

The action at the end was also really messy and had problems with readability. A lot of dark, blur, big shapes going on... which was going to be an issue trying for something realistic.

John Oliver and Seth Rogan were the best parts of the film.

Also, is there a reason the Hyenas weren't nearly as funny as before?

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
For whoever was wondering, it was Jon Favreau that pitched the idea behind this remake to Disney, according to himself.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, here it is:
5c693b7085e01d09acd5d225
Why wasnt there a NSFW tag, I blurted out laughing so loud...

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I went in with zero expectations and ended up liking it, think it was pretty good actually. Which is the opposite of what happend with Aladdin.

But man, a few of the voices fell suuuper flat (Nala for one, even Simba at times) and I didn't care for them at all. Which is a problem when they're supposed to be the main characters. O_O That's the only shame.

Oct 26, 2017
My kid sister wanted to see it so I took her, wouldn't have gone otherwise.

Very curious to know if this film can stand on its own as even the parts that deviated from the original contained plenty of references to it.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
took my kids...meh...felt a little flat. They enjoyed it but I didn't get 'wow' from them, like how people originally reacted to the original. Hard for me to judge though because I'm 38 and not a big Disney fan anyway.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I love the original lion king and I wanted to like this one. I'm also a huge sucker for nostalgia. This remake just did nothing for me. I didn't hate it but I felt no real emotion from movie.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
I'm a fan of the original and loved the remake.
Obviously don't think they are comparable, but each has their own unique thing that sets them apart for me.
Seeing them as realistic animals was really dope, specially seeing Pumbaa and Rafiki move, it was so good.

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
One positive I will say about the movie is the circle of life in the beginning was well done. Shot for shot remake.

After that though...I just kept disliking the film. I barely laughed. My hardest laugh came from mufasa's death.

I also felt like most the acting was done in one take.

I do like that the song "he lives in you" is in the movie... but it's in the credits (after "never too late") and not in English. Still it's a beautiful song.

It looks like a good spectacle movie with a hard hitting emotional score and great cgi.

If only those things were what make a movie good. This would be great to me.

Feb 10, 2018
One positive I will say about the movie is the circle of life in the beginning was well done. Shot for shot remake.

After that though...I just kept disliking the film. I barely laughed. My hardest laugh came from mufasa's death.

I also felt like most the acting was done in one take.

I do like that the song "he lives in you" is in the movie... but it's in the credits (after "never too late") and not in English. Still it's a beautiful song.

If only those things were what make a movie good. This would be great to me.

Depends on the viewer, I guess.

Orcastar

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
Review published in Turun Sanomat, the third largest daily newspaper in Finland:

OJt9Une.jpg

Quick translations of the highlighted parts:

The new version of 1994's Lion King featuring real animals falls flat compared to the original.

A classic story with real actors

The new movie tells the same story, but with real animal actors.

In the new Lion King, they've made the mouths of real animals move believably in sync with the dialogue.

...that it is much more difficult to direct a real animal to give a desired performance than it is with a cartoon character.

Real animals made to talk...

So yeah, the reviewer legitimately thought that they used real animals. The paper later published a correction.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I did a thing because I was bored this afternoon. I really the arrangement of I Just Can't Wait To be King in the remake. Has its own flair while keeping true to the original. I definitely prefer Rowan Atkinson as Zazu by a massive margin though.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I'm happy this movie happened cause it was an absolute technical achievement for cinema. I don't see it being beat for the Academy Award for VFX.
As for the movie itself, quite possibly the most un-original movie I've ever watched. Beyonce was quite terrible and it's disappointing they expanded that role just for name value when they didn't need to and she wasn't up to the task.
Timon & Pumba stole the show.
It's not bad cause it's still The Lion King, but it improves on basically nothing and lost a lot of the charm of the original.
I enjoyed Beauty & the Beast, absolutely hated Dumbo and this one falls in the middle. It's ok, but just watch the original. Really only reason to watch is it is such a technical achievement.

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I did a thing because I was bored this afternoon. I really the arrangement of I Just Can't Wait To be King in the remake. Has its own flair while keeping true to the original. I definitely prefer Rowan Atkinson as Zazu by a massive margin though.

Atkinson was the original Zazu? Learn something new everyday.