• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Dude, it's going to make a billion.

And no, it would not make a billion if they tried to make something new.
Why not? Right now it's only making money because of its title. Aladdin strays way off from the original (compared to TLK) and is also on its way to a billion, anyway. Favreau's own Jungle Book also did its own thing and grossed almost a billion dollars for that matter.

TLK is just a hollow retread of the same movie, right down to framing and shot composition. It brings in so little that is new that it's actually kinda pathetic. I would downright qualify it as creatively bankrupt.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
This would make a billion dollars at the BO on The Lion King name alone. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.

When Pumbaa said "fart" at the end of the Hakuna Matata song, i thought that they will write the word "SEX" on the sky when Simba was imagining his father to complete the 20+ years memes of The Lion King 🤣

Here is an article about it if you don't know the story
LINK

This spawned a point in my life where I started digging deep into Disney conspiracy theories and subliminal messages hidden in their movies. Dark times.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I liked it. Not entirely sure it needed to be made, because it wasn't as good as the first, nor was it different enough to warrant a remake.

The voice acting (outside of Timon, Puumba, Zazu) was not good. Even Mufasa had a lot of... "off" lines. Beyonce's Nala was way better than Glover's Simba.

"Spirit" should have been replaced with "He Lives In You."

Timon and Puumba elevate this movie in a similar way that Will Smith did with the Aladdin remake.

Zimmer's score was amazing.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Saw it yesterday. Movie is garbage. Literally nothing redeemable about it. What the fuck was that dung beetle fur sequence. Like why.

Then there's making Scar obssessed with Sarabi like a loser. Jesus.

The kid sitting in front of me wanted to watch videos on his phone instead of the movie which added to the shit show.

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Saw it yesterday.

It's almost impressive how something that had so many millions funnelled into its creation left me feeling absolutely nothing at all.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Timon and Pumba were outstanding. Baby lions were cute. The opening was... not as good as the original, but still good. Everything else was worse by a clear distance. Which is kinda in line for these remakes. Only Alaadin is redeemable for me based on quality. The rest are just not good enough to justify watching over the originals.

Oh and I adored the Beauty and the Beast reference. Glad I didn't get that spoiled.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The Lion CGIng taught me that warthogs are horrendous-looking creatures.

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I have sympathy for Scar. How come his King brother have a few-hours born child and he goes and rub it in his brothers face that this new born is going to be the future king. If I go with the assumbtion that Mufasa thinks that his brother Scar is a bad person and isn't fit to be king, then how does Mufasa know that Sima is going to be better than Scar in the future? The movie didn't show us why Scar is not worthy. It only showed his reaction after the fact that he was neglected.

Also the scene when kid Simba goes to Scar and rub it in his face that he will be the future king. Poor Scar.

I want the new LIon King 1.5 to focus on Scar's point of view rather than Timon and Pumbaa :)

WormNeck

Oct 31, 2017
It's crazy how bad the voice acting was in this movie, pretty much top to bottom. The only thing I wanted to do when I left the movie was immediately watch the animated film.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
So... I ended up watching it anyways. The animated movie was my favorite movie of all time and I still have it fresh in my memories, setting up a recipe for nitpicking. I thought I could use the CGI to appreciate it more. Well I watched it and...

giphy.gif

Now I feel bad for giving money to Disney knowing it will be a mediocre product. Be Prepared was shoo-ined as I predicted none of the song sequences compared to the original

Even taking out of context of the original, the voice acting wasn't that inspiring Even Earl Jones acted like he was phoning it in at times. The CGI animals made it hard to convey emotions from them. The new song... was decent.

I think the movie should have added some more new elements of the film besides the hyena leader who was a side character. They could have added some ideas from the musical as well. I felt Disney wanted to keep things as much of the same as possible given it's a perfect movie, but it only invited negative comparisons from the original.

Overall, the most disappointing and painful experience in a while. 5/10.

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
TLK 2019 is a piece of giraffe shit, handled by a dung beetle /s

I think it was alright, impressed by the animal tech (expressions not so much), and disappointed by the music direction, regardless of Zimmerman's excellent composing career. It didn't feel that long, either.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
So people shouldn't criticize something if it's also bad another way and it makes money.

Did you think this line of logic through?

Oh you can criticise away. But...

The movie will undoubtedly make money but certainly not as much as this project could have made had they aimed higher to create a Lion King for a new generation.[\quote]

... I'm going to mock takes like this which aren't thought through at all.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Both Pete's Dragon and Cinderella are my favourite live action Disney films, even if neither of them set the box office alight. I even enjoyed The Jungle Book too, given that the animals are animated and expressed in a somewhat cartoonish manner. Also helps that the songs are still a joy to listen to!

But this?

I thought Dumbo and Aladdin were just okay, the latter of which was mostly carried by Will Smith's Genie however, The Lion King is just a consistently average film — feels like watching those David Attenborough narrated BBC documentaries with the animals talking and/or singing.

It's a shame this did not resonate with any of the kids in my cinema showing either...

Glad at least one person remembers that movie. Highly underrated gem.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Finally watched this yesterday with my mom. The original is our favorite movie and we've seen the broadway play together so seeing this was a foregone conclusion.

I can't really describe how or why but something about the voice acting didn't sit right. Maybe it's because I've seen the original so many times but the pacing and the cadence of the delivery just felt "off" pretty much all the time. Maybe because my head was expecting one thing then got another.

Also Can you Feel the Love Tonight was ruined by Beyoncé and why the hell is it daylight?? That Spirit song was horrible too, my god. It should have been He Lives in You. Beyoncé sucked basically and I wish she wasn't in the movie.

End of the day though the music was so good and the story so timeless I couldn't help but enjoy it. Worth the money.

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
donald-glover_gettyimages-848696898.jpg

Regarding Donald Glover (voice actor for Simba). In my opinion he is a very talented, unique, and smart actor. He is famous for his laid back/low energy delivery and the (I don't care) attitude where his role in the show Atalanta is perfect for him. My point here is that I don't see him fit to do voice acting. His expressions and how he carries himself is his selling point.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this over the weekend.

• Can't believe how terrible the hyenas were. They butchered them. They even skipped the "if you ever come back, we'll kill ya!" which was one of my favorite scenes
  • Beyoncé is fantastic, but was not good this.
  • Voice acting overall was subpar.
  • Rafiki wasn't good.
  • Some scenes felt oddly paced.
  • "Be prepared" was fucking ruined.
Overall, pretty shite. It was a beautiful movie though (outside of the lack of soul and emotion in the characters themselves which is why the 2D animation is infinitely superior). I could watch faux-nature documentaries that look like this any day. Just not Lion King.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
donald-glover_gettyimages-848696898.jpg

Regarding Donald Glover (voice actor for Simba). In my opinion he is a very talented, unique, and smart actor. He is famous for his laid back/low energy delivery and the (I don't care) attitude where his role in the show Atalanta is perfect for him. My point here is that I don't see him fit to do voice acting. His expressions and how he carries himself is his selling point.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Finally saw this, Timon and Pumba were the highlight, the rest was very average. "Lions, attack" is one of the worst lines I've heard in a long time.