• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
7jzNVgS.jpg

Germany, 1979. When a bomb goes off in the diplomatic quarter of Bonn, senior Israeli intelligence agent Martin Kurtz flies in to investigate. In Greece a fiery and brilliant young actress is drawn into a high-stakes game of international espionage by a mysterious stranger. Adapted from John le Carré's spy novel.
Written by: Michael Lesslie and Claire Wilson
Directed by: Park Chan-wook

Where can I watch it?
US: AMC | November 19 9/8c
UK: BBC | Sundays 9 pm | first three episodes currently available on iPlayer
Nordics: CMORE | December 13
France: Canal+ | first three episodes currently available on myCanal
Australia: BBC First | November 14

WstOWof.jpg

iT5ehAB.jpg
lEetg7K.jpg
HSd69vj.jpg

Florence Pugh | Alexander Skarsgård | Simona Brown

2rO9FIN.jpg
VkFA3ZU.jpg
yIEDucf.jpg

Michael Shannon | Lubna Azabal | Amir Khoury

f5TTtLj.jpg

The Guardian: "It's all brilliantly, beautifully done and the dialogue sounds as good as everything else looks" [4/5]
Indiewire: Park Chan-wook Delivers an Alluring Thriller [A-]
The Independent: a beautiful and oddly disconcerting piece of filmmaking [5/5]
Variety: directed with near-fetishistic glee by Park ... this is international intrigue to bathe in rather than hurriedly binge
Vanity Fair: Florence Pugh Proves Herself a Star in The Little Drummer Girl

rTuel7s.jpg

The Guardian: how Le Carré's Little Drummer Girl predicted our dangerous world
EW: Michael Shannon didn't think he could play a spy
W Magazine: How Florence Pugh, Star of The Little Drummer Girl, Became Hollywood's Most In-Demand Actress
The Guardian: Does The Little Drummer Girl help us understand modern terrorism?

Ybysu3J.jpg

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
It's so good, you guys. From Florence Pugh being incredible, to Michael Shannon's accent and mustache, to the gorgeous production... plus it has a couple of Chan-wook flairs!

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Bomb ass director and cast on this one. If anything can take on maniac for my favorite TV this year its likely this

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Oooooh, I forgot about this! Chan-wook keeps moving from strength to strength.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Just a warning, don't expect crazy Chan-wook. There's a couple of moments where he reminds you he's there behind the camera, but it's a very classical 70's political thriller type miniseries.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Park Chan Wook being an international success is heartening when so many other directors falter once they start making movies outside of their home territories.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Just a warning, don't expect crazy Chan-wook. There's a couple of moments where he reminds you he's there behind the camera, but it's a very classical 70's political thriller type miniseries.
This does not lessen my hype, if anything it amplifies it.
Is this going to be on Netflix or some cable channel in South East Asia? Anyone know?
It's pretty plausible it will end up on AMC Asia, The Night Manager aired there iirc and this has the same producers in AMC+BBC, Endeavour Content, and Ink Factory. But nothing announced as far as I know.
I think this is the most complete list of confirmed territories, I uh, gave up on adding more in the op after trying for way too long to find any useful StarzPlay info for Germany and it just drained my will to live (seriously Germany why are you spectacularly bad at this)
France Canal+
Germany STARZPLAY
Italy STARZPLAY
Benelux STARZPLAY
Ireland STARZPLAY
French Belgium BeTV
Holland NPO
Spain Movistar + Spain
Sweden TV4 (CMORE)
Norway TV4 (CMORE)
Denmark TV4 (CMORE)
Finland TV4 (CMORE)
Iceland Stod 2
Israel Hot
Australia BBC First
New Zealand TVNZ

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
On the list. Loved THE NIGHT MANAGER with Hiddleston and Laurie, this is looking even better.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Just don't expect it to be like The Night Manager going in. I've only watched two episodes so far but this feels very different -- more Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy than James Bond, if anything. I also found Michael Shannon's look and accent a bit distracting but maybe that's just me.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
I've only watched two episodes so far but this feels very different -- more Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy than James Bond, if anything.

This is good news, then. I always loved the quiet and understated elegance of Tinker Tailor. Although, the star-studded cast of the TTSS carries a lot of weight.

Looking forward to this.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Park Chan Wook being an international success is heartening when so many other directors falter once they start making movies outside of their home territories.

Of all those big korean directors' English language films, Stoker was the only one I really liked tbh. Glad chan wook is back in the game

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
This is good news, then. I always loved the quiet and understated elegance of Tinker Tailor. Although, the star-studded cast of the TTSS carries a lot of weight.

Looking forward to this.

It's a good comparison. It's a quieter, more internalized character-driven show, and about how far someone is willing to go for not only country, but even love.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Michael Shannon is having the most fun in this role, it's just great to see him work so outside his usual roles.

It was a given with Park Chan Wook but this is a beautiful looking show.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was about to say, first 3 episodes are already out there. Had no idea Park was in on this. It's a looker though, and has stars. Shit, maybe i need to get to watching.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Not sure if I'm liking it. It looks great and shiny, but pacing is very slow and some of the performances don't do it for me. Overall, I think the start of the Night Manager was more interesting.

Tbro777

Nov 24, 2017
Germany, 1979. When a bomb goes off in the diplomatic quarter of Bonn, senior Israeli intelligence agent Martin Kurtz flies in to investigate. In Greece a fiery and brilliant young actress is drawn into a high-stakes game of international espionage by a mysterious stranger. Adapted from John le Carré's spy novel.

Did Kramer write this lol, reminds me of this

You see Elaine, Billy was a simple country boy. You might say a cockeyed optimist,

who got himself mixed up in the high stakes game of world diplomacy and international intrigue.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I was at the premiere of the first two episodes. Apparently the book is one of Park Chan-Wooks favourites and it shows.

I'm liking it so far but it lacks that little extra ommph his best work contains.

Oct 25, 2017
This was excellent, one of the best le Carré
adaptaions IMO, and I feel like I'm the only person who watched it. Superb acting and direction and a really wonderful score. I hope they put this out on blu-ray at some point.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, shoot. I missed this (kept saying, oh it's so far away, and then today, realized it was past haha).

Is it going to be on again (I don't see it on the schedule on AMC) or am I left to find it elsewhere?

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, shoot. I missed this (kept saying, oh it's so far away, and then today, realized it was past haha).

Is it going to be on again (I don't see it on the schedule on AMC) or am I left to find it elsewhere?
The AMC website says;
The full season of The Little Drummer Girl is available to stream on iOS, Apple TV, Android, Windows, Fire Tablets, Roku, Xbox One and amc.com. Full uncut episodes are available to stream for AMC Premiere subscribers.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone watch(ing)?

I just finished the third episode and I think it's good so far, but I was confused by a couple plot things in the third episode. Like why the thing that happened at the end happened. Doesn't it totally mess up their whole plan? 🤔

EDIT: Oh, guess not. Looks like I misunderstood the specifics of what they were doing with Charlie.

Last edited:

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Skarsgard was terrible as always, and the story was nothing special, but the direction, Florence Pugh's performance (and character), and the incredible cinematography made this well worth our time. The music (both soundtrack and score) was good, too.

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still can't believe this only got a one page thread! A fantastic series and one of the best-looking shows ever to grace a screen. And Florence Pugh is going to be a star.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Florence Pugh was incredible. And it looked good. Overall though, I didn't think it met the hype. The Night Manager was better imo.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I've been watching this for the last two days. It's super intriguing, but you have to pay attention at all times. Sometimes a few happenings confuse me, but I got most of everything under grabs I feel like. I'm crazy about Florence Pugh's acting, she is so incredibly talented and it shows. It pours out of the screen here how good she really is. I also think Alexander Skarsgaard is solid, I really like him in the role, and he fits that role to perfection. For many years I wasn't a fan of Michael Shannon, but I liked his work in The Shape of Water, and I'm actually fine with it in here too. The soundtrack is killer, and the cinematography and visuals oozes of atmosphere, colors and it's very pretty to look at.

I got one episode left, and I'm about to watch it.

Did I pick up on the general story? Mind you, I know almost nothing about the subject matter of the show, and it's made in a little difficult to follow at times.

Back in 1948 the Zionists (they say they are Jews who wants to make an independent Jewish state) from Israel bombed and slaughtered Palestinians in their own country (But why? Was it because they wanted to build an independent Jewish state in Palestine? I picked up it has to do with Great Britain as well but I don't know what part they played?), a disaster Khalil and his siblings has remembered growing up. So they are now hiring Westerners to bomb Jews in the Western world. The group we follow who says they are all Israelis picked up on the intro's bombing and Khalil and his family. So they have been hiring people with the same ideals, politics and beliefs as themselves and who are also good actors and has orchestrated the life of Salim and his girl, so that Charlie has the experiences on her to genuinely convince the Palestinians (and these folks from England) that she knew Salim, and so they could get rid of Salim and Anne his "au pair" in the shadows. It's also to gain the Palestinians trust, which has made Khalim trust her enough to see her (ending of Episode 5).

There's a few parts I'm confused about. It's been a little hard to figure it all out. I still don't know why that [episode 5] briefcase switch happened.

Made a Google search on the term zionists and is reading this article to understand it better. Dunno how accurate it is.
[edit] Apparently it's a swearword nowadays. I meant no offence by using it, and used it only because that is the term being commonly used on the show, and I'm trying to learn about it all to understand the show better.

Last edited:

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Hadn't heard of this, but after being blown away by Pugh's performance in Midsommar yesterday, definitely gonna bump this to the top of the list (among other reasons...can't believe this wasn't on my radar at all)

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I didn't know this had its own thread. Mays as well post my impressions here.

Little Drummer Girl: Only saw episodes 1-4 (with 5-6 left) as I didn't have time. This is very nicely made by Park Chan-Wook with really great evocation of maybe not the era itself but the spy/espionage thriller genre of filmmaking and fiction from the era. It's also a little boring and absurd which prevents me from really loving it. The attempt to meld fiction and reality, to put us in the minds of these spies who are seemingly losing their grip on reality doesn't really work. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (the BBC series) this is not but it's still an engaging watch, mostly because I think it manages the political and moral complexities of the subject matter quite well. Pugh and Skarsgard excel in their roles. Michael Shannon feels extremely out of place with his scenery chewing and put me off the show until his character took a back seat. I know this is sacrilegious to say here but I don't like Shannon from what I've seen of him (except in Take Shelter).

Having seen the remaining two episodes, my estimation of Little Drummer Girl has risen a bit. It's fantastic. The big ending sequence when the fiction comes to an end is cathartic, though it could have been even more effective if it had sustained those interactions a bit longer.
"Who are you? -I'm an actress -So you don't believe in anything?"
A bit on the nose but goddamn that was a great moment. It's certainly going down in my best of 2019 list.

I keep kind of flip flopping on this. While I still really like it, I think it engages in too many caricatures to be truly great but it's good fun regardless.

Last edited:

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Hadn't heard of this, but after being blown away by Pugh's performance in Midsommar yesterday, definitely gonna bump this to the top of the list (among other reasons...can't believe this wasn't on my radar at all)
Her performance is incredible in this! I can't wait to check out Midsommar next week as well.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I've been watching this for the last two days. It's super intriguing, but you have to pay attention at all times. Sometimes a few happenings confuse me, but I got most of everything under grabs I feel like. I'm crazy about Florence Pugh's acting, she is so incredibly talented and it shows. It pours out of the screen here how good she really is. I also think Alexander Skarsgaard is solid, I really like him in the role, and he fits that role to perfection. For many years I wasn't a fan of Michael Shannon, but I liked his work in The Shape of Water, and I'm actually fine with it in here too. The soundtrack is killer, and the cinematography and visuals oozes of atmosphere, colors and it's very pretty to look at.

I got one episode left, and I'm about to watch it.

Did I pick up on the general story? Mind you, I know almost nothing about the subject matter of the show, and it's made in a little difficult to follow at times.

Back in 1948 the Zionists (they say they are Jews who wants to make an independent Jewish state) from Israel bombed and slaughtered Palestinians in their own country (But why? Was it because they wanted to build an independent Jewish state in Palestine? I picked up it has to do with Great Britain as well but I don't know what part they played?), a disaster Khalil and his siblings has remembered growing up. So they are now hiring Westerners to bomb Jews in the Western world. The group we follow who says they are all Israelis picked up on the intro's bombing and Khalil and his family. So they have been hiring people with the same ideals, politics and beliefs as themselves and who are also good actors and has orchestrated the life of Salim and his girl, so that Charlie has the experiences on her to genuinely convince the Palestinians (and these folks from England) that she knew Salim, and so they could get rid of Salim and Anne his "au pair" in the shadows. It's also to gain the Palestinians trust, which has made Khalim trust her enough to see her (ending of Episode 5).

There's a few parts I'm confused about. It's been a little hard to figure it all out. I still don't know why that [episode 5] briefcase switch happened.

Made a Google search on the term zionists and is reading this article to understand it better. Dunno how accurate it is.
[edit] Apparently it's a swearword nowadays. I meant no offence by using it, and used it only because that is the term being commonly used on the show, and I'm trying to learn about it all to understand the show better.
I think a bit of reading on history and even current events will help answer some of your questions.

The switch was a fakeout, just another step to establish trust I think but also (light spoilers for ep6)
a way to create a story to get it in a more desirable location later.

Last edited:

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the show just now. That was tense as hell in Charlie's shoes. And I think I picked up the gist of what was going on. Subject matter was interesting, and the show intriguing in how it set it all up and rolled with it. The acting pulled me in, and how Park Chan-wook executed it all made me stay. It's definitely a show I will want to revisit when I've done some reading. If this released in the US in 2018, then it's my favorite show of said year, or at least in the top three.

I found this Wikipedia entry about the Nakba that I'm going to read.