• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
It's why I'm so thankful I have three great kids and a wife. Not to mention a sister and large family I see all the time. I can't imagine being alone all the time.

Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like this seems worrying but at the same time I have no desire to raise a kid and even less to get in a relationship with someone just so I might not be lonely decades from now

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems petty to be bigoted against somebody because of the time period they were born in. I think it's an issue that instead of wanting everybody to be better off he would rather just have them be worse off.

Like I said, I just take it as them targeting those that did this.

It's not like it's a small subsection of Baby Boomers. From the owners of companies, to labor leaders, to voters, and leaders. Baby Boomers had overwhelming control over U.S for decades... only now are they losing majority voting bloc to millennials and because they are dying.

I do want to reiterate for those that dont see my first post, that I think that post was unnecessary for the topic. I just understand the ire that poster is demonstrating towards a generation that ruined a lot of things and blame the youngins anyways. People tend to speak in generalities when impassioned, though it can be dangerous.

It is pretty if a person thinks people should be thrown to the wolves just because they were terrible to others, barring extreme circumstances.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
I leave to work at 4:30am and get back at 6pm. I don't time have to develop relationships. The pursuit of financial and career security really messes with some of us.

Last edited:

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
The most I have is friends on Discord but it's not so bad. It has been several years since I've had an actual in person human connection though.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
You all seem to not understand the scale at which the Baby Boomer generation has screwed up U.S and continues to do so because many of them do not understand how to adapt.

They were the largest voting bloc for decades and therefore almost single handedly responsible for all of the shit you see today.

Talking about issues from housing, zoning, campaign finance, foreign policy, wage stagnation, and to the debt crisis. More that I wont list. They adapted on some social issues congrats to that, but backwards thinking really stymied U.S progress when it had the best opportunities to.

I view anyone saying "fuck cops" and "no sympathy for ______" as them specifically talking about those that caused the issue. It's not hard to separate.

Now... I understand that's it's not tactful to go into a thread and basically shrug about the issue because of grievances, in some cases its needed (McCain and Bush Sr. death threads). In this case I do think it wasn't.

With this said, we shouldn't act like we dont know why one would say this. For those that dont know, you can read up on it, it's quite the undertaking.
Agreed.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be so terrible for Millenials when it's our time.

So many of us are child free, paying off student loan debt, and forced to relocate constantly for work (thus making it hard to form lifelong relationships).

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i know hispanics families tend to stick together but wonder if after a couple of generations it will be the same for the majority. many millenials are still living with their parents so maybe the stigma of moving out no matter your financial situation is gonna go away.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
You all seem to not understand the scale at which the Baby Boomer generation has screwed up U.S and continues to do so because many of them do not understand how to adapt...

I'm not sure it's fair to say they all don't understand. Regardless, it's not the point of the OP, and is honestly a different discussion. The consequences of this trend may be most observable with the Boomers right now, but it's coming for generation X, Y (millennials), etc. I've already told people I know that I can easily see a future for myself where I'm stuck/alone.

Last edited:

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
The boomers will get no sympathy from me.

Amazing how everyone proceeds to denigrate this guy but you hear the exact same sentiment or worse in "millenial struggle" or Trump threads and no one bats an eye.

The hypocrisy is real.

I know you're getting dogpiled for this but I support you. People expect millenials to be saints and have pity for the generation that fucked us and continue to fuck us every day. It's wild. They gnash their teeth and wail about climate change and health insurance and Trump but turn around ago "don't be mean to the Boomers though". The obsession with performative compassion is disgusting.

"It's not their fault, they didn't know any better."

HAH.

Give me a break.

(Take care of your parents, not because they're pitiful boomers but because they're your family.)

This guy gets it.

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
My mother passed away this year and that's close to what I felt.
I took care of her in her last year when she was diagnosed with terminal cancer and always acted as a fairly good son out of filial piety, but there are plenty of things I can't forgive her given the awful childhood I had and how she wrecked what little family I had.

The funny thing is she got better support then I will whenever it's my turn, even if she fucked me over, because I don't have children.
That thought alone is really depressing.

i get this. yours is a very personal reason as to why you'd feel this way towards your mother. i'm sorry you went through what you did. i guess my question was more towards someone wanting to despise their parents just based on being of the boomer age at all.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
anyone else feel like their parents stay together just so they won't have to face this kind of reality?

Deleted member 48205

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 30, 2018
I wonder if the internet is something that helps me cope with loneliness or the thing causing it. Like if I decide to stop using the internet tomorrow, will that be enough of a motivation to try and go out and do something with myself, instead of browsing ERA and watching youtube videos about videogames. Kind of off-topic sorry

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Well that's entirely your decision to put your career above friends, family and relationships though.
How do you know how much of that is a choice on his part? I'm making the "choice" to work 50-60 hours a week when I only have to work 40, but I don't have the choice of needing to work that much to make decent money and save up for things I need.

Anyways, as for the Boomers, they kind of made their own bed. As far as I can tell they started the trend of dumping their parents into nursing homes, and their children watched and learned.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
what if we as society stopped shaming people for wanting or enjoying being single and being childless.

But also fuck most boomer for being selfish pricks and scorching the our schools and infrastructure to gain the wealth they did.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I had an uncle that passed from supposed loneliness- the actual cause of death was a heart attack, he was in his mid-fourties)- I also know of an elderly man that died 6 months after his wife passed; I guess he was lonely and heartbroken afterward, he couldn't recover.

It really is a killer, take care. I'm lucky I got a big family

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't want kids so I guess I'm intentionally planning my own downfall. /S.

There are other ways of social interaction beyond having a spouse and children. You could even get a roommate at older ages.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
I'm genuinely concerned for my father if my mother dies. I feel it's much more likely that my dad will die first (he's got some health issues), but he's much more attached to my mother than the other way around and has kind of a co-dependency problem, and everyone just kinda knows that he'd fall into a deep depression if he were suddenly alone. I'd seriously give him maybe six months if my mom died. None of my siblings nor I are in any position to be able to live with/care for them and won't be any time soon.

Deleted member 22649

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm cynical enough to believe that, over time, we're increasingly going to see more industries focus on selling panaceas for loneliness-- movies, TV shows, books, games, etc that try to make you feel like you're not alone, when in fact you are.

Perhaps we should take a lesson from the Okinawans and start forming moais. ...Hmm, but then someone's going to create a Moai Finder app that just works like Facebook, and we'll be back to where we started.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
It's why I'm so thankful I have three great kids and a wife. Not to mention a sister and large family I see all the time. I can't imagine being alone all the time.

Me neither.

I dream of staying home from work by myself and gaming all day.

When it does happen......I dont like it. Hell My baby girl is 3, I usually keep her home with me lol.

I cant be alone. Ive told my wife I need to die first. I cant do it.

Especially as I get older. My wife is my lifeblood. Kids will grow up and move away. I hate being alone and luckily I never have been

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
I'm genuinely concerned for my father if my mother dies. I feel it's much more likely that my dad will die first (he's got some health issues), but he's much more attached to my mother than the other way around and has kind of a co-dependency problem, and everyone just kinda knows that he'd fall into a deep depression if he were suddenly alone. I'd seriously give him maybe six months if my mom died. None of my siblings nor I are in any position to be able to live with/care for them and won't be any time soon.

Its true , especially as men get older.

Call it sexist or whatever but men as we age get dependant on our SO. We try and act tough but we arent. Many times when the wife dies and they are older 60+ the men are not long behind. We csnt handle it.

Women are just stronger that way. Women keep the family together and thus if the man dies the women are able to live longer because they still have a duty to the family but men just break down alot.

I need my wife amd im not afraid to admit it. I may be atlas trying to hold the world up but my wife is the world and without her Id be lost

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Who said alone and lonely are the same thing?

I'm alone but I'm never lonely as I've always got things to do.

Those always going to parties, having lots social events to attend..those are the people the shrink should worry about being lonely. These are the people that will freak out if they don't receive any text in a single day

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
This isn't a good thing. A fractured and individualized society is literally incapable of forming the bonds necessary to overthrow those in power, leaving them there with enough freedom to finish off the world with their neoliberal greed.

Mankind will literally die if people don't fight back against apathy and stop feeling content to remain in their pathetic cocoons.

Are you alright, mod?

UFOkidd

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna really open up about this Shit so bear with me if I type out a huge essay

I'm Pakistani, first born. Have a baby bro and my mom. Live with my mom in the building we own. Bro lives with uncle on his own, trying to figure life out.

Since a young age been attached to the hip to my moms. Dad passed away in my teenage years. Have had struggle of hardcore depression through the years with certain struggles.

Undocumented (still waiting for that magic bullet), obese/disabled (spinal injury), getting older (1 year away from 40)

My outlook on life has changed tremendously. Now I think about life not for me but for my mom. I struggle that I will not survive without her. I have this past in my head that is when she goes I go.

There's not much to look forward to for me. Never had a girldriend, reached third base kind of as a pity, don't think I'm marriage or even remotely compatible with another human being, but I'm ok with that

Don't want kids, I already can't handle myself and I'm not dropping burden on 2 other people and be selfish to just carry a name.

I do have this weird social anti social tic. Few days I'll be all welcoming and a few days I'll just shut down or shutoff

I'm High School and College super popular, known very well. Now 0 friends. Shit games are my defector escape. Crazy as it is still I'm OK with this.

Like my long term goal is to at leas hit 50. Everything afterwards is golden. Like my mom jokes on my morbid talks with her that I can't live without het, she goes how are you gonna play the new PlayStation then. She means well. Still I have that dark cloud in the back ready to be released whenever that time comes, I know suicide isn't the way, but life for me hasn't been the best, I get the you only get 1 life, but I think I've enjoyed and had my good share of it.

It sucks knowing that I really do have a great family of uncles and aunts and ungodly amount of cousins that I am really attached too, but the pain I feel that 1 by 1 I'm going to lose them (elder uncles and aunts) and one day will come when I'm the only one left due to me being the next generation of that family and the everyone below me will feel hurt due to their parents loss but I will feel it the most cause I've been attached as the branch of the family that links old family generation to new family generation

I don't think I can withstand that much heartache, my mom alone is gonna fucking killing me, yet if I survive the incoming deaths of uncles and aunts will just finish me off

I've cried many years in my bed wondering about these scenarios. Usually a 38 year old doesn't think of these things, but in my mind death is all I worry about, not for me, but my family.

Shit gets real when type this stuff out.
The eventual passing of my remaining parent keeps me up at night as well.

I hope you find more life for yourself out there bro, if you want to.

Oct 25, 2017
This thread has me all sorts of fucked up. Need to call my grandparents and parents more.

anyone else feel like their parents stay together just so they won't have to face this kind of reality?
There are some family members where I question why they're still together when they seem like they despise each other.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think it's a problem with American culture that people don't keep their parents in their households after they leave the nest so to speak. Honestly it's rather appalling that as a society we decided the people that raised us deserve to be alone in their old age.
Agreed, it's a disgusting culture.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's a problem with American culture that people don't keep their parents in their households after they leave the nest so to speak. Honestly it's rather appalling that as a society we decided the people that raised us deserve to be alone in their old age.

It's not just America. This is a major problem in Japan as well, especially with their aging population. The shrinking nuclear family is a phenomenon everywhere.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
i get this. yours is a very personal reason as to why you'd feel this way towards your mother. i'm sorry you went through what you did. i guess my question was more towards someone wanting to despise their parents just based on being of the boomer age at all.
I don't think it's just based on age, it was just a (likely overly broad) generalization.

I will say, based on personal experience in Indiana, almost every single (white) Boomer I've ever interacted with was a real nasty piece of shit, with some seriously fucked up/toxic/antisocial views and values. That includes the vast majority of my own family. Again, the original post I think was overly generalized and unneeded in this exact topic, but I get what the poster was getting at. There's a very severe pile of cultural issues pervasive in Boomer aged people. It's not just a few bad apples, but obviously it's not all of their faults either.

Maurice Hamblin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Apr 6, 2018

So many of us are child free, paying off student loan debt, and forced to relocate constantly for work (thus making it hard to form lifelong relationships).
I don't think we'll have this issue to be honest. Saying this assumes that everything will remain the same socially and technologically which simply isn't possible given what we've seen in the last decade alone.

I think they (the nerds) will come up with other forms of companionship that won't really require human interaction. They're already giving the elderly robot dogs and babies. The baby boomers are just caught in this lull where all of these things are now becoming a reality but aren't widely accessible.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know you're getting dogpiled for this but I support you. People expect millenials to be saints and have pity for the generation that fucked us and continue to fuck us every day. It's wild. They gnash their teeth and wail about climate change and health insurance and Trump but turn around ago "don't be mean to the Boomers though". The obsession with performative compassion is disgusting.

"It's not their fault, they didn't know any better."

HAH.

Give me a break.

(Take care of your parents, not because they're pitiful boomers but because they're your family.)

Man, if only people as smart as you and I had been born in the 50s! Never mind that corporations, media, the government, and religion were all telling them lies that lead to a lot of the beliefs and policies that defined the 20th century. It seems like you have the slightly arrogant belief that you'd be part of the exceptional few we can look back to and say "well, they had it right".

I can't wait until I'm old and youngsters are blaming me for all the shit that's wrong in the 2060s

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Aren't you a millennial? They're already blaming you for their tepid real estate investment growth, failing small businesses and eating too much avocado toast. There's an industry dedicated to it.

Oh and before they died the decided to kick us in the nuts twice, once with Brexit:
_90089868_eu_ref_uk_regions_leave_remain_gra624_by_age.png

And again with Trump:
20161109_Election.jpg

We'll be cleaning up behind them long after they're dead.

Last edited:

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Ok seeing a lot of people talk about cultures where the elderly go to nursing homes is negatively viewed. But at a nursing home you have the company of many people your age and people who take care of you around the clock.

Better than living alone at home.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018

Gen Xer's here (well, my wife is more an earlier millennial I guess). We really don't feel that way at all, even as child free types that moved for our jobs. All that money saved from not having kids will buy years in a luxury home in old age with activities and social events to make new friends there etc. Once you're bedridden, if you get to that point, it is what it is as that's just going to be lonely. Neither of us would want people coming and visiting us out of pity then anyway as it's boring as hell to sit next to someone bedridden for more than occasional visits.

Hell, my parents (baby boomers) have always been clear they never wanted any of us kids taking care of them if they got to that point and saved plenty for that type of home if they end up in that kind of shape. So it's not just kids failing to take care of old parents, lots of parents--at least in the US--find the idea of being cared for by their adult children as abhorrent. Especially in the upper middle class and above.

Ok seeing a lot of people talk about cultures where the elderly go to nursing homes is negatively viewed. But at a nursing home you have the company of many people your age and people who take care of you around the clock.

Better than living alone at home.

This too. Nursing homes are just viewed less negatively by some cultures than others for sure. It's not such a norm for kids to take care of aging parents in some cultures like the US--especially in the middle class and above.

Money plays a huge role too as there's a big difference between nice facilities for people with decent money and the worst of the worst for lower income elderly people who can barely afford any facility.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's disturbing that so many people in the west believe that being alone means you'll end up being lonely.

If you've made it through your life without understanding that the only person who can make you happy is you, then you really haven't learned very much. Happiness absolutely exists within you. It can't be found in other people.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
It's disturbing that so many people in the west believe that being alone means you'll end up being lonely.

If you've made it through your life without understanding that the only person who can make you happy is you, then you really haven't learned very much. Happiness absolutely exists within you. It can't be found in other people.
This can be true to a point, but to state it as strongly as you did goes against mountains of evidence that social ties are vital to mental and even physical health.