• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mike Michaud sounds like a downright awful person.

Doug & Rob though? ehhhh, sounds like they are/were simply inexperienced in managing people and are rough to work with, and a lot of their ideas didn't pan out, thankfully none of the stuff I'm reading here makes me think of them less as people and they do alot of good charity work/fundraisers.

I hope the work environment has been better for Tamera & Malcolm.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Always figured they were kinda shitty given the rather huge talent exodus over the years. And most of them, at best, had neutral things to say about the experience.

The NC and a lot of the shows on there have kind of aged terribly with their comedy stylings and skits even outside of the brouhaha.

Seems clear to me they haven't managed to evolve with the times and are going to go bust eventually and have been desperately scrambling to retain what they have. Might just be me getting older but looking at recent trends it feels like people don't really want the wacky character parts of youtubers as much anymore, they want the person (or someone that feels like a person).

Last edited:

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Mike's done a lot of racist comics, I think they've been shared here a few times.

I did a picture google of "mike matei racist", and holy shit you are not joking. I won't repost the comics here, because I don't feel the need to spread manure on this forum, but ...yeah.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I did a picture google of "mike matei racist", and holy shit you are not joking. I won't repost the comics here, because I don't feel the need to spread manure on this forum, but ...yeah.

I still feel bad if I were to hold the shit Mike does against James. They seem to be childhood friends, it's really hard to drop someone like that, even if they're a shitbag. Also IIRC, those comics were really old or something? I dunno if we can make a proper picture of current Mike over these - Not to defend Mike, I just feel bad for James.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Associates with" is an extremely light term for their relationship. That's like saying Quentin Tarantino only associated with Harvey Weinsten.

Oct 27, 2017
Never really watched much other stuff from the channel, but I used to watch a lot of Nostalgia Critic content until I just stopped maybe 3-4 years ago. Not entirely sure why, but it's a bit of a bummer to find out he's a dick. I'm glad Lindsay broke away though and made it on her own. She's one of the best YouTubers and I think has gone from strength to strength over the years.

Cronen

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed the NC videos, having stumbled upon them when Doug first started doing them. When he brought the character back after retiring it, I tried to continue watching them, but I just didn't enjoy the skits at all. Haven't watched the videos in years, and I imagine in hindsight that they probably don't hold up. But yeah, I am not surprised by any of the stuff mentioned in the OP at all.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this is all rather surprising to see.
Seems every second YouTube personality I've liked has ended up being a duck.
Unsubbed.

I'll need to check out Lindsay's stuff now though from sounds of it.

Btw, since those videos that GG guy posted on CA drama were mentioned in the OP, anyone know why this is such a topic of interest to them? Like, I looked up "Mara Wilson Lindsay Ellis" and the first response was an alt-right forum. What gives? Is it because of the video Dan made that drew their attention or something? It'd be nice to learn more about the topic without worrying about its source.

Ok that's weird, what's the story here?

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
Well, bad stuff get out of the closet if you have been on youtube/internet for 10 years.

Not many YouTubes have been around that long yet

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, i've heard stories like that along the years.

Still, i'll always keep a fond memory of the old days of NC. Without it, some of my favorite youtube channels would not exist (at least not under this form) so there's that. Benzaie turned out fine when he left for example.

But i kinda stopped watching a few years ago. The quality never changed. It's like they are stuck in the 2000s. Wich is disturbing since much smaller channels can churn up so much more quality work today.

If you want want to find something close to NC without the controversies, you can check out these frenchies work (there's usually english subtitles on most videos after some time) :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugs9HASX4rA

They started with making a french version of AVGN but quickly turned to be the spiritual-successors of NC. They are now probably the most respected youtubers you can find in France even tho they don't have the most views or subscribers.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Can someone sum up the mentioned Doug-anti lgbt stuff or recommended a video about it?
I heard about this a couple of times but never know what it's about.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Now I get why all of his videos still look like they're stuck in the early 2000's youtube era.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
TGWTG felt dated because YouTube introduced a new online persona for video creators that Doug simply didn't know or didn't care for. They saw themselves as the old fashioned tv/movie/content studio types where they came up with ideas and skits (without creative assistance and extra contribution), hire actors and tried to distance themselves from online characters (Nostalgia Critic) and start something more credible like Demo Reel. Problem is, they weren't good at it and by the time they realised their mistake - turning their back on core fans who just wanted more of their view count/ad-cash cow - it was too late.

So now they've resorted to resurrecting Nostalgia Critic (and using the actors they hired for those awful skits they produce) and scamming their core fanbase via indigogo. Thank goodness for Patreon.

Last edited:

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Oh yeah, I agree, it's just that it was about... how GG was a tip of a shit iceberg and there was so, so much more lurking underneath. Like the alt-right!

And yeah, I can't... help but feel like... there's going to be a lot of shit coming out about the early years of Youtube in general. Shit was a lot worse than we expected it to be.
Remember the youtube rant community? God that shit was so small scale in retrospect but felt so big. Also kinda an early beta test for the alt right,. Bunch of angry white dudes that are "liberal" but don't want to be told not to make sexist or racist jokes, in the name of free speech. Would go on to leave the left or whatever. Bunch of angry white teenage boys. Some of this shit needs a documentary.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Jebus, nice work compiling this. I started watching them when they started becoming popular. Cannot believe it's been 10 years. I was even a "premium" member cuz I donated to their CA site way back. Mike seemed nice and responded to fans back in the day. Not sure what he's like now. As for the Walkers, well, they should respond to these accusations if they care.

I discovered a lot of awesome content creators through NC and CA like Angry Joe. Shame that some of this stuff happened.

Could of just summed it up as 'YouTube Drama.'

Well, when they first started, they weren't even on YT. I followed the site when all the videos were still hosted somewhere else including the now defunct Blip. I remember reading about the drama with other creators like Spoony way before which was mentioned in OP.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to say I appreciate the OP being exhaustive; I read a lot of this myself yesterday but missed a good amount of the details due to all the threading/replies.

Me and some friends were big fans of Spoony in like... middle school, and mostly only watched other content if it was a crossover, but due to him slowing down on releasing content I stopped going to the site entirely. Then he imploded a while later, and so I never went back.

Why misfortune? He's since apologized, and not drifted off into that sort of shit he imploded over. He's also gotten much better psychologically.

Did he also apologize for how he treated certain women in the games industry following Gamergate, and such?

Last I saw of Spoony was him whining about Zoe Quinn daring to be interested in wrestling, but that was probably a while ago at this point, so...

Last edited:

Albert

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped watching when To Boldly Flee came out, but all this stuff makes me wish I had done so earlier.

Christ, that original draft. That's just awful on so many levels.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Did he also apologize for how he treated certain women in the games industry following Gamergate, and such?

Last I saw of Spoony was him whining about Zoe Quinn daring to be interested in wrestling, but that was probably a while ago at this point, so...

I never even heard anything about Spoony in terms of Gamergate.

EDIT: After googling a bit, looks like Kotakuinaction hates him and there are several posts from around 2014 about him being "anti gamergate now", so that's good enough.

Oct 25, 2017

EDIT: After googling a bit, looks like Kotakuinaction hates him and there are several posts from around 2014 about him being "anti gamergate now", so that's good enough.
Spoony spent the last of his days on twitter before finally being banned complaining about Donald Trump. The last thing he put out was a Last Jedi Vlog with his girlfriend where he came down firmly against alt-righters who hate the more diverse cast. Spoony also apologized for a lot of the gay jokes he made earlier in his career.

Spoony is by no means a good person. He kind of became an absolute complete trainwreck. But he's not the worst person in that regard?

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Can't recall if I read somewhere that everyone disliked the way the anniversary videos were conducted and managed after Kickassia. It used to be a laid back and fun thing to be a part of but people said it all changed after the Kickassia video.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember there was a lot of hearsay about this stuff as far back as the Spoony drama unfolded. A friend of mine used to tell me about regular posts he'd find on 4chan about the clusterfuck that was Channel Awesome since he knew I had a passing interest in Doug's material (unless I recall even Kickassia had production issues). But a lot of it at the time felt just really ephemeral and much of the drama seemed to not center as much on Doug who rarely cropped up in the conversation and just kinda came across as incompetent more than anything - a sentiment that I thought was reinforced after the absolute shitshow that was Demo Reel and how he insists on marching to the beat of his own drum. A lot of the post-revival Nostalgia Critic has been unbearable.

But that this stuff went so deep, well, I want to say I ought to be surprised but I'm really not. The brand that Channel Awesome and TGWTG cultivated is one so rooted in Doug's own narcissism that there being a lot of rotten stories starting at the top is unfortunately something I can believe.

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It always seemed like Channel Awesome was fraying at the seams from the word go. What a strange world that was. Definitely a curio of the mid 00s and another slice of the infinite internet subculture pie.

Still like Brad Jones a lot though, definitely the most likeable, consistent and talented guy out of the whole crew in my book. He even managed to have a divorce with his wife who was a part of his shows without it turning into some horrific internet drama meltdown. The early Snob videos are still highly entertaining. The shitty quality only adds to the whole aesthetic.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Spoony spent the last of his days on twitter before finally being banned complaining about Donald Trump. The last thing he put out was a Last Jedi Vlog with his girlfriend where he came down firmly against alt-righters who hate the more diverse cast. Spoony also apologized for a lot of the gay jokes he made earlier in his career.

Spoony is by no means a good person. He kind of became an absolute complete trainwreck. But he's not the worst person in that regard?

This is good to hear. As much as I miss his old content, honestly I just hope he's doing okay by him.

Downhome

Oct 27, 2017
For years I never missed a NC episode. As soon as a new one went up I wanted to watch it. However, once he retired the character then brought it back, I'm not nearly as into it anymore. The videos since then, and especially lately, are just...well, I'll say it, they are just shit usually. The skits are horrible, sometimes they don't even include hardly any clips of the actual movies they are talking about, and it's just horrible stuff. I still try to watch them, every now and then I find one that's ok when they cut the skits out, but for the most part I don't really watch any of the new videos anymore.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Wait, Gamesack are bad? Avgn and matei too? Someone fill me in.

I watch stuff from Gamesack and Rerez, could you tell me what's up with them? I do not want to support more awful people.

Back in the GG days, Rerez hyped and uploaded a video where he claimed he had found a solution to the "Anita Sarkeesian problem" (a woman having an opinion on the internet). His video explained that the solution was to allow her to create a videogame, and if that videogame failed, then she could fade away from the industry, defeated. Obviously this video did not have the response he expected. Later claimed that "both sides are bad". When he was later on a video about a trip to a game store, and Alpha Omega Sin was there too, I understood what side he was.

A few episodes ago this year, Joe kept mentioning that he was friends with Alpha Omega Sin, who not so long ago sent his considerable followers to harass Retronaut's Bob Mackie, and also tried to bait him into a twitter fight. Mackie wisely did not fall for that.

Rolfe, Matei, Shane, Joe, they all associate with this guy. Just do a google image search for "alpha omega sin sjw" for the youtube video snapshosts of what his content is if you do not know who this is.

Last edited:

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Btw, since those videos that GG guy posted on CA drama were mentioned in the OP, anyone know why this is such a topic of interest to them? Like, I looked up "Mara Wilson Lindsay Ellis" and the first response was an alt-right forum. What gives? Is it because of the video Dan made that drew their attention or something? It'd be nice to learn more about the topic without worrying about its source.

Because before Gamergate became a thing, quite a few of their producers (Nostalgia Chick, Linkara, etc.) defended Anita Sarkeesian when she was getting harassed. And you had the same proto-Gamergate guys harassing Jesuotaku and Lupa during all of that Spoony fallout.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Reading other people's dropping off stories sounds similar to my own. I was a fan from around 2009-2012. Around that time I wasn't feeling the videos as much. The skits were becoming more prominent and weren't getting much better. Also realizing the damn reviews were about as long as the movies they were reviewing, mostly just clips of said movie. I thought Kickassia was pretty dumb but fun, I found Suburban Knights bloated and boring. I think I watched one episode of To Boldly Flee before completely dropping the site.

But what really killed it was the one two punch of the way too public Spoony drama followed by the retiring of the NC character. At the time, Spoony was one of the best reviewers on the site, so losing him was a big blow. That being said, he was way in the wrong for how he acted during all of that, from the time he made gross joke and refused to apologise to the point where was blocking fans who were just trying to help him.

Granted, Spoony's output had declined a lot since his other way too public break-up with his ex. Seeing all this way too public drama soured the experience watching their videos when you all this people seemed to hate each other. Another reason I didn't bother with To Boldly Flee.

Although that all went down shortly after they finished filming To Boldly Flee, and looking at the tweets in this thread, I wonder if nerves we're already pretty frazzled.

I did check the NC return, but like others have said, was really not feeling it. The skits were bad and way too prominent. In the time since, I learned about their game show debacle and, yeesh, glad I left.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Because before Gamergate became a thing, quite a few of their producers (Nostalgia Chick, Linkara, etc.) defended Anita Sarkeesian when she was getting harassed. And you had the same proto-Gamergate guys harassing Jesuotaku and Lupa during all of that Spoony fallout.

Huh, I don't remember any videos they made defending her, but it makes sense that they would. I guess I'm curious how much of it was CA fans turned GG or outside forces latching on to CA drama as a way to target people like Lindsay, Dan, Linkara, etc.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Why's he a trainwreck? WAS a trainwreck, but everything I've seen from him after he met his current girlfriend seems to be on the positve side. Heck, everything you said is pretty much positive.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Why's he a trainwreck? WAS a trainwreck, but everything I've seen from him after he met his current girlfriend seems to be on the positve side. Heck, everything you said is pretty much positive.

Mostly comes from the fact that he stopped putting out the content he used to. Last I saw he was just doing streams. Apparently there is also an issue of a patreon goal of making a spoony experiment movie that never materialized.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Mostly comes from the fact that he stopped putting out the content he used to. Last I saw he was just doing streams. Apparently there is also an issue of a patreon goal of making a spoony experiment movie that never materialized.

I think he just got tired of Youtube stuff because he finally got a life beyond that stuff. He seems happy with his girlfriend whenever I tune in on him, I'm glad he got himself out of all the shit from back in the day.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

To be clear, I wasn't calling him a gamergater directly, more someone "on the sidelines" (as if there could be such a thing) who leaned towards it as a result of the other stuff he had going on. He was definitely whining about Zoe specifically for a while. But it was a few years ago now, so if he's moved away from that since I'm happy to hear it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Years ago when I actually watched some of the channel and its members, I thought it wouldn't last. It just reeked of unprofessionalism and a group of guys who had no idea what they were doing - and in the end suckering in youtubers to build up their site and give them very little in return.

Their projects, especially the "movies" just reeked of half-assing everything and then the stories that would come out about the production...I just took note of the people I liked (CinemaSnob and Lindsay mostly) and go to them direct. CA is garbage.

The sole owner of all of this, Mike Michaud, seems to not be the nicest of people to work with, particularly the women the site has employed over the years. He's also very difficult to get ahold of and isn't the best at communicating consistent policies to people.

As someone who corresponded with Michaud, I can 100% confirm this. Dude was a hack and no clue how to run a website much less a potential business I would imagine. Sometimes he'd email me back and not remember who I was...like....dude, read the email chain.

Oct 25, 2017
Spoony hasn't made a proper scripted review of anything since 2015. There was the disaster of him having a pateron, the pateron being wildly successful reaching highs of $5,000 a month with promises of a more regular reviews and a movie, only for him to release next to nothing aside from two or three vlogs over two years and low effort streaming where he barely talks and when he doesn't is unstable and hostile towards his audience. His patreon has dried up to $500 a month. And he was so unstable on twitter he got banned. I'm pretty sure he was banned for making death threats at people on twitter and based on his twitter feed he was pretty unstable. And yeah, he was Anti-Trump but he was also an incoherent mess. The dude is not doing well. I don't know how he's living like he is. Him and his girlfriend were talking about how they might lose their house a few months ago because the patreon dried up. It's not pleasant to watch.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Back in the GG days, Rerez hyped and uploaded a video where he claimed he had found a solution to the "Anita Sarkeesian problem" (a woman having an opinion on the internet). His video explained that the solution was to allow her to create a videogame, and if that videogame failed, then she could fade away from the industry, defeated. Obviously this video did not have the response he expected. Later claimed that "both sides are bad". When he was later on a video about a trip to a game store, and Alpha Omega Sin was there too, I understood what side he was.

A few episodes ago this year, Joe kept mentioning that he was friends with Alpha Omega Sin, who not so long ago sent his considerable followers to harass Retronaut's Bob Mackie, and also tried to bait him into a twitter fight. Mackie wisely did not fall for that.

Rolfe, Matei, Shane, Joe, they all associate with this guy. Just do a google image search for "alpha omega sin sjw" for the youtube video snapshosts of what his content is if you do not know who this is.
and now I'm glad I stopped giving views to cinemassacre after screw attack fell off Gametrailer's site.