• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sometime this year I decided that I was going to finally get up to speed with Lord of the Rings to see what all the fuss was about (I did the same thing with Star Wars recently). Honestly I'm very disappointed. At least with Star Wars I could see why it was a huge deal when it came out.

My biggest gripe with the Lord of the Rings is that the story is just plain and boring with a hint of ridiculousness. And for the first 45 minutes to an hour I was totally on board when it seemed like the movie was self aware, but then for some weird reason they decided to take the plot waaaaay too seriously. I mean you need a videogame level of suspension of disbelief to get through the last hour and a half of the movie. My only experience with high fantasy are video games and Game of Thrones. And while GoT keeps my interest thanks to (at least some) unpredictability the Lord of the Rings is just boring in comparison. Now, when it comes to videogames, I feel like they surpassed what the Lord of the Rings is trying to do. The only redeemable quality of this movie is that special effects hold up really well!

That said I will watch the other two movies. Third one won an Oscar so it has to have at least some sort of a twist I'm guessing...

EDIT: I will take a small step back to clarify. The characters are good. They are kind of fun. That's the main reason why I will stick with it... It's just the plot that bugs me. It's so plain and takes itself so seriously...

EDIT 2: There a lot of replies to this thread that are misinterpreting my comments. So just to clarify:

1. Production values in this movie are AMAZING. Way better than what GoT can do. I'm not disputing that.

2. I cannot go back and pretend that I haven't played the Witcher 3 or Dragon Age before seeing LOTR. And I can't pretend that I haven't seen GoT. So, yes, it's an unfair comparison, but that's all I got. And that's how things can feel derivative when obviously they are not.

3. As much as I can buy the story when people give a bit of context the movie did terrible job selling it to me. After watching the first 30 minutes I was trying to convince my wife to watch it with me because it was so much fun and not taking itself seriously. When it got serious, I was not upset about it, I just didn't think that the plot justified it. (i.e. Start Wars manages to stay fun as the plot gets more ridiculous, LOTR gets more serious)

4. People justifying ridiculous plot points (like seeing a fire from miles away) are not really changing my opinion. LOL (Plus, much bigger issue for me was the fact that they kept running into the black horseman without any use of the ring)

EDIT 3:
OK. I'm half way through the second movie and now I'm REALLY pissed at some comments in this thread. It's complete bullshit that I was not paying attention. In fact the characters have the same questions that I had! Sam had no idea how the whole black horse-rider thing works (they can't die). And Gandalf only becomes a God in second movie. In the first one he was still not that big of a deal.

This is getting late so I will keep watching tomorrow, but some of you guys really lack self awareness. Using the facts from the second movie to imply that I'm an idiot is really low.

Unless there are more of insane tonal shifts, the second movie is much better so far. It strikes a good balance between humor and drama. In fact now I'm even more convinced that the first movie just does not work on its own in 2017. The production values are dazzling, but they can't carry 3 hour high fantasy story that starts of as a comedy and ends that dark. Not having Frodo whine in Two Towers is a huge improvement over the first film.

Last edited:

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
If you didn't like the first movie (which is often considered the best of the three), I don't see how the other two are going to change your mind.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you didn't like the first movie (which is often considered the best of the three), I don't see how the other two are going to change your mind.

It's actually my least favorite of the three, but it's all one big movie. If you don't like this one, I don't see how you would like the other two..

Karnova

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
wrong.jpg

OP
OP
resident_UA

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How is 9 people trying to infiltrate a fortress that is not penetrable by tens of thousands of men is not the most ridiculous plan ever? Also, they could have at least grabbed more than one horse for that first leg of a trip :)

OP
OP
resident_UA

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not good because you were bored? Sounds like a you problem.
Nah, being bored is the lest of the problems with this movie I had. One specific complaint below.
How is 9 people trying to infiltrate a fortress that is not penetrable by tens of thousands of men is not the most ridiculous plan ever? Also, they could have at least grabbed more than one horse for that first leg of a trip :)

Blabadon

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Eh, I can see why.

I remember liking it, but it's plenty plodding that if the characters don't grip you, you really don't have much to go on. I love TTT though, and RotK sits second for me.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Fellowship the most since it's pretty much an adventure movie. Frodo was pretty much thrown into something that was way too big for him to handle.

The next two movies are more about war, which I still enjoyed a lot but not as much as a whimsical adventure like Fellowship. It's why I was disappointed that they turned the Hobbit into something that is way too serious.

Aphexian

Oct 26, 2017
And while GoT keeps my interest thanks to (at least some) unpredictability the Lord of the Rings is just boring in comparison.

You're comparing the story of something that helped pave the way for a lot of fantasy in the future that came out in the 50's to something that recently came out from writers that have no direction anymore and are just making things up as they go at this point because they're out of reference material.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
I've actually come around to the idea of it being the best film in the trilogy.

I used to prefer The Two Towers and Return of the King, but after watching the extended cut of The Fellowship on shrooms I now hold the first film up high lol. It captures the spirit of an epic quest perfectly.

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure I could ever be friends with someone with this kind of opinion, its a hot take on the level of not finding the Simpsons funny or something like that.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Just put this in the controversial movie opinion thread.

It has been a day for hot takes. I think people needed to get their shitposting out after the holidays.

OP, which cut did you watch? Because the EE would be interminable for a first watch and I could somewhat understand your opinion then.

OP
OP
resident_UA

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're comparing the story of something that helped pave the way for a lot of fantasy in the future that came out in the 50's to something that recently came out from writers that have no direction anymore and are just making things up as they go at this point because they're out of reference material.

Sure, but there are good parts of LOTR that could have easily been used to make the plot more interesting. The first half of the movie is self aware and there are constant jokes. I was hoping for more of that...

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
OP did an abysmal job explaining why they don't like the movie. He or she also seems unaware that high fantasy and many videogames are inspired by Lord of the Rings. Exactly how have videogames surpassed LoTR? You never actually explained how. And why is it bad that the movie takes itself seriously?

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Citizen Kane is boring as fuck but I wouldn't call it a bad film simply because film in general has lots of layers.

Last edited:

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fellowship of the Ring is EASILY the best of the trilogy.

Holy shit, OP.

If I weren't on my phone right now I'd go into greater detail, but Fellowship is the best of the tree because it's the quintessential adventure. It's a sprawling journey that takes from The Shire to the village of Bree, to Rivendell, to the the Misty Moutains and the Mines of Moria,

And all along the way we are treated to the delights of a fantastic cast of characters whose camaraderie and chemistry leaps off the screen.

This is film is an epic.

It's an adventure for the ages, a timeless masterpiece.

Last edited:

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
This is seriously awful lmao. Even if the story is "predictable" the scale, beauty, the music and the performances are all aces. The world of a Fellowship is visually so far past every season of Game of Thrones.

Oct 29, 2017
If your position is that high fantasy has to be cynical about the inherent improbability its own premise or comedic, then Two Towers is going to be ever less appealing since that aims for a stronger dramatic entry and very much treats itself with the seriousness a war drama would.

OP
OP
resident_UA

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do we really need a fantasy movie with constant jokes? You can watch The Princess Bride for that.
OP did an abysmal job explaining why they don't like the movie. He or she also seems unaware that high fantasy and many videogames are inspired by Lord of the Rings. Exactly how have videogames surpassed LoTR? You never actually explained how. And why is it bad that the movie takes itself seriously?
Because their plan consists of literally 9 people taking on hundreds of thousands of orcs with nothing up their sleeve. How is not the most ridiculous idea ever? I mean there are Oblivion quests that are more thought out than this.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but there are good parts of LOTR that could have easily been used to make the plot more interesting. The first half of the movie is self aware and there are constant jokes. I was hoping for more of that...

The jokes help give a sense of companionship, home, familiarity, and a good time. Any good adventure has that, but also any good adventure must travel to the dark and serious parts and I think the tone changes well to each part.

Aphexian

Oct 26, 2017

Do we really need a fantasy movie with constant jokes? You can watch The Princess Bride for that.

Dunban

Oct 28, 2017
Post-book Game of Thrones is only 'unpredictable' because the plot is utterly incoherent. I'm not entirely sure that holding it up as some kind of shining ideal is helping your case here.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, being bored is the lest of the problems with this movie I had. One specific complaint below.
But they did have horses. They had to let them go because they decided to enter Mines of Moria.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because their plan consists of literally 9 people taking on hundreds of thousands of orcs with nothing up their sleeve. How is not the most ridiculous idea ever?

The point of LotR, like many epic fantasy stories, is the idea that one person (or a small group) can change the world.

Yeah, they could have just sent a big army in and just threw the Ring into Mount Doom or something, but that's not the point of the story.

Modern audiences are unable to engage with fiction on anything but a strictly narrative level. Theme, allegory, character, etc are all thrown by the wayside in favor of CinemaSins-tier complaints about narrative continuity.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017

Nah. The lighthearted beginning is there for contrast and for setup. The movies get progressively more serious as the stakes raise. RotK is practically an opera by the end.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Because their plan consists of literally 9 people taking on hundreds of thousands of orcs with nothing up their sleeve. How is not the most ridiculous idea ever? I mean there are Oblivion quests that are more thought out than this.
That's not the plan at all.

Their plan is to sneak 9 guys into a foreign country and climb a mountain without being spotted.

Status
Not open for further replies.