• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bricks

Nov 6, 2017
FnY4rjWXEAAilUK

Received this issue, and there is a 12-pages article about the game. Here are the bits I found more interesting:
- When they started developing the game, Hexworks set out to create 'Dark Souls 4.5'; while they "braced for impact" when Elden Ring came out, they didn't try to course-correct on the game they always wanted to make

- This is a dream project for many of the developers; said they "stopped their successful careers to work on it"

- The connections with the first game will be tenuous

- The game is much larger than its predecessor, and completely interconnected: "Every level branches out into other levels, like a T-shaped intersection, and every three levels loop back into each other. It's like a chain of pretzels"
- The art direction is conceived as a mix of European gothic horror, medieval fantasy and cosmic horror

- The cosmic horror elements are related to the Umbral, the limbo between death and the afterlife that can be seen in the trailers. From an art perspective its inspirations are, among others, HR Giger, Zdzisław Beksiński and surrealist sculptor and performance artist Olivier de Sagazan

- The lantern the player character is equipped with allows to stare into the Umbral from the living world, as well as to escape from it should you enter it.

- You can accept death and reset the world like in a traditional Souls game, leaving the currency you lost at the point you fell and returning to the rest site visited most recently, or decide to descend into the Umbral as a sort of second chance, searching for unique treasure and then seeking out a 'totem' that slides you back to reality. In this world, however, healing items are less effective and an insanity meter fills if you stay in too long.

- The Umbral can also be accessed through a 'deathwish' ritual that induces a kind of penalty-free demise, since there are items and loot that can only be found there

- The architecture of the real world and the Umbral interact with each other; for example, a chasm in the real world may be bridged in the Umbral, and even when living you could raise the lantern, which shows the Umbral overlaid on the real world as a kind of portal, and as long as the lantern shows the way, you could cross that bridge

- TLotF is a game about "observation and detective work", in which gaps and dead ends should encourage further investigation. As in games such as Soul Reaver, changes in a world may open new paths in the other

- While smaller Umbral denizens cower from the lamp, larger ones may actually reach through the light and drag you to the other side

- There are 9 starting classes to choose from at the moment (the number may change in the final release), and this choice may have an effect on how deeply you need to become acquainted with the Umbral - a necromancer can hardly avoid it
- The game's equivalent of the bonfires, called 'anchors', appear only sparsely at fixed locations, but their number can be increased by crafting them and placing them as you see fit. Their crafting materials can only be looted from Umbral enemies, however, and they wear out with use and can also be destroyed if found by enemies

- During the first playthrough, there will be fast travel between anchors and the hub area, but in New Game+ there will be no permanent anchors, and the warping functionality will be restricted

- Co-op play will be untethered and seamless, so partners will stay connected as long as they want: if you die, you switch to a spectator mode until a companion resurrects you

- There are three factions in the game, and depending on your alignment you will receive a specific currency that can be exchanged at shrines for items and equipment, but the most precious gear will remain out of reach until the combined playerbase donates enough currency to unlock the higher tiers - "We'relooking for players to organize themselves, and start all grinding together as a community"

- There will be crossplay between PC and consoles

And, last but not least...
- There won't be any poison swamps
God bless them.

brb-imagination.gif

You know it's illegal for me to post them.

Gonzito

Banned
Apr 5, 2022
Spain
I never played the first one. Is it good? I did play Surge 1 and 2 and I think they are both very good games

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like they're going to innovate the souls borne genre a little, and I wish them all the luck. Hopefully the game is amazing.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Outside of crafting bonfires, it sounds really good and I really liked the gameplay/cinematic trailer.

Is it expected to come out this year?

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, it's another developer.

Edit: The Surge games are made by the same dev that did the first Lords of the Fallen. This new game is a different company.
Why the hype for this then? What have they made and what happened to the Surge team? It seemed like they were learning.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Lord of the Fallen was the original janksouls, I think. The first clone. It was okay, but nothing more.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Why the hype for this then? What have they made and what happened to the Surge team? It seemed like they were learning.

I mean, there's not that much hype, the expectations comes from the first game being really bad so we don't know how the new one will go and that's... a positive lol. But also, the trailer looked really good even it was just a compilation.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
This Umbral stuff reminds me a lot of Spectral Realm from Soul Reaver games.

That is a good thing.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
I think there is mainly hype for this because the concept art shown was actually good. Many of these Souls Likes look just kinda uninspired but this has my attention purely because of the art.

kaisere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
During the first playthrough, there will be fast travel between anchors and the hub area, but in New Game+ there will be no permanent anchors, and the warping functionality will be restricted

Well I was interested until this line, this just seems tedious and not enjoyable difficulty.

Oct 25, 2017
So while Elden Ring gave players many new QoL features and made traversing the open world very convenient, these devs have decided to make the basic bonfire system more annoying. Best of luck to them.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All the things they are saying are making me curious about it, but I was sold when they said seamless coop

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. All of this sounds pretty exciting! I really hope this is great.

Also crossplay? Thank you!!!

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
After the first one, the only way is up.

Yeah, really can't get much worse than that game unless you try.

A Lot of the different aspects sound interesting: very interested in the Umbral and the way NG+ is mixed up since they're removing the bonfires in that one. Appreciate the candidness of their influence as well, especially the bit about Elden Ring.

Not being forced to play as that boring buff white dude and the Crossplay + Coop sound really good.

Dec 3, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
The game's equivalent of the bonfires, called 'anchors', appear only sparsely at fixed locations, but their number can be increased by crafting them and placing them as you see fit. Their crafting materials can only be looted from Umbral enemies, however, and they wear out with use and can also be destroyed if found by enemies.

During the first playthrough, there will be fast travel between anchors and the hub area, but in New Game+ there will be no permanent anchors, and the warping functionality will be restricted

I'm sorry, but this all sounds awful, especially when Souls-likes are becoming more lenient with this sort of stuff. Hell, look at Elden Ring like they mentioned, you're given free fast-travel, a steed and more sites of grace than you even know what to do with from the get-go.

Also completely backwards to make a NG+ MORE restrictive. Just sounds like a chore to play.

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like what I'm hearing from these details. My early impressions on the tone and aesthetic already peaked my interest so I hope it delivers especially with how big of a passion project it is for the devs.

But no poison swamps? Cowards!

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, but this all sounds awful, especially when Souls-likes are becoming more lenient with this sort of stuff. Hell, look at Elden Ring like they mentioned, you're given free fast-travel, a steed and more sites of grace than you even know what to do with from the get-go.

Also completely backwards to make a NG+ MORE restrictive. Just sounds like a chore to play.

I mean, Elden Ring is an open world game. So it was more required for all of the additional ways to travel. As far as we know The Lords of the Fallen is more similar to a traditional Souls game in layout.

Also I think it's neat that NG+ provides more of a challenge beyond: "Hey these enemies now do more damage and have more health".

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
So while Elden Ring gave players many new QoL features and made traversing the open world very convenient, these devs have decided to make the basic bonfire system more annoying. Best of luck to them.
Reads to me that they're just bringing back the placeable bonfire mechanic that was cut from Dark Souls 3. Doesn't seem to be a replacement for anchors, just moreso a temporary checkpoint kind of thing. I think it sounds pretty neat, and could add some really interesting risk-reward.

And the New Game+ thing doesn't seem like a big deal. It's just there for the extra challenge after you've beaten the game, and I honestly think it could be a refreshing change,.A lot of the Souls' games NG+ experience isn't all that interesting beyond "more health and damage on enemies" with the exception of Dark Souls 2. You could always start a new character if you want to replay it without those restrictions.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they kept the "risk-reward" system from the OG game (that was also in Surge 1 and 2), in that the longer you kept killing enemies without resting, you would start to incur a bonus multiplier of exp but you lost said multiplier if you died or rested.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Hmph. I tried 3 times to play the first one but couldn't get past the first boss. Too slow, unreliable hit boxes, poor collision detection. Hopefully this aims to have much tighter gameplay.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I don't understand why they didn't call this something else. It's not like the first game was particularly well-regarded, and this seems to have very little connection to it apart from the genre.

I can only think that it must've sold really well, but you're going to get plenty of people dismissing this just because of the title.

Cobbles

Jan 19, 2023
they seem to have some pretty interesting ideas, glad they're taking the ritual stuff/bonfire placement that was cut from DS3 and running with it.

still have to see how combat pans out

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
Who needs poison swamps when there's a passive (?) insanity meter build-up, lol

Curios to see gameplay of this.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Heavily interconnected world and Soul Reaver influence in design means I'm much more interested than before.

Kazen

May 31, 2019
First game sold a lot of copies, maybe they got a better budget and team this time to make this good.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
4.5 is such an oddly specific number. Like .5 is usually refers to a sequel that doesn't really do enough new things. So... they're making that kind of iterative sequel to a game that doesn't exist?

"Every level branches out into other levels, like a T-shaped intersection, and every three levels loop back into each other. It's like a chain of pretzels" has me a little worried. What I think most devs trying to imitate From's level design miss is that their levels are kind of only as complex as they need to be, and there's a very fine line, especially without a map (which they might still have tbf). From walks that line brilliantly and imitators often end up with annoying mazes.