• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
PWN8n3S.gif

Lemme tell you a tale

It takes place 360,000....

no.....14,000 years ago.

Well, to me, it seems like only Yesterday.

To you, it could be tomorrow.

In an abyss of infinite chaos,

God created light.

God then created a Ptolemaic system around the planet Ceta as well as Lucifel.

However, when God sensed the presence of ego,
the Metatron plan was introduced.

The plan was carried out by the righteous man, Enoch, and Ceta was destroyed.

After that, God created the planet Ryuta within a Heliocentric system.
This planet became what we now know as Earth.

Enoch, after fulfilling his duty, dispersed his remaining strength into 72 shards.
As Lucifel fell into a deep sleep, he dreamt of wandering the Earth.

This story is about one of the shards that fell to Earth.

KQZuL8Q.png

Release Date: 6/19/2018 (NA-Out Now!), 6/22/2018 (EU), 7/06/2018 (ANZ), 08/24/2017 (JP-Out Now!)
Developer: Kadokawa Games
Publisher: Kadokawa Games (JP), NIS America (NA, EU, ANZ)
Genre: JRPG/Dungeon RPG
Platform(s): Switch, PS4, PSV (Digital Only)
Price(s): $49.99/£49.99/€49.99/¥6800

3tRgFlO.png

McT5MxE.png

Occult journalist Hayato Ibuki encounters a strange girl during his investigations into a series of mysterious suicides in Tokyo. She implores that Hayato must live, before bestowing upon him a mystical device that allows him to capture celestial and arcane creatures. He is now thrust into a world beyond our own, home to horrific monsters and celestial beings. In it, he must delve into dungeons called Layers and solve the mystery of the device. Where his journey leads him could decide the fate of our world...

gYnIzei.png

The Lost Child is a dungeon crawling RPG with monster taiming in the vein of the Shin Megami Tensei series, specifically harkening to Soul Hackers with its modern day non-post apocalyptic setting. It is also a semi-sequel to the 2011 action game, El Shaddai. Hayato, the main character, is a journalist working for an occult magazine investigating all types of urban legends and myths. These investigations will bring you into the midst of a war between Heaven and a legion of demons led by a series of Lovecraftian horrors.

XEhMLrv.png

The Lost Child plays largely like a straight forward dungeon RPG. You have a hub menu representing Tokyo, with numerous locations and dungeons to visit from the menu. As you progress further into the story, more dungeons, each with their own gimmick, will become available as Hayato investigates various urban legends and myths spreading around Tokyo.

Dungeons, known in game as "Layers," themselves are traditional first person dungeons, often multi-leveled, and all having their own gimmick (eg: Akihabara, an early dungeon, features on-rails trolleys and rail switches, while Minakamiyama is based around magma tiles and pit traps). Within each Layer, you will encounter numerous "Astrals" (the game's equivalent of demons) in random encounters.

T1fIHaV.png

Combat in the Lost Child is standard for Dungeon RPGs, right down to maintaining the traditional first person view for combat as well as dungeon exploration. You, your angel companion, and your summoned astrals will take turns fighting with enemy astrals in a typical turn-based combat system. As with older-MegaTen games, your main character, Hayato, will not typically have access to magical spells himself, but will have the ability to manage the party's roster of summoned Astrals. Lua, your angel companion, and your summoned astrals will all have their own array of magic abilities that often correspond to a specific element.

5H0TtIH.png

Like MegaTen, the Lost Child features an elemental strengths and weakeness system that rewards you for exploiting enemy weaknesses through significantly increasing damage, while similarly punishing you for hitting enemy strengths.

The game also features a Special Attack system, called the Astral Burst, allowing Hayato, who typically does not have access to magic spells, to load up to three Astrals into his Gangour gun and shoot them for a specialized magic attack that utilizes the strengths and elements of the Astrals used. Hayato has access to this unique ability whenever you have filled the Astral Burst Gauge, making it a limited but powerful ability.

Finally, combat often results in the party finding treasure boxes with precious items. These chests lead to a brief lockpicking minigame where Hayato and his party can use various abilities to try and unlock the treasure chests without springing a trap.

wtJXc2k.png

Astrals are both your enemies and your recruitable allies. Almost any enemy you fight in battle can be captured through the usage of your Gangour tool, which also serves as your means through which you manage your Astrals (it is, in effect, the COMP/GUNP from the MegaTen games). Astrals can be used after they are captured, but must be Purified by spending Karma. Astrals who are knocked out in combat are reverted to an unpure form and must be purified again in order to be used again.

The Lost Child handles building up your Astrals similarly to older MegaTen games, wherein they can not indefinitely level up like the player character can. Each Astral has a limited number of levels they can reach before hitting a cap. Astrals who hit their cap can then have their level reset in exchange for starting over with better base stats and skills. Astrals level and evolve through spending karma points earned in combat. Astrals can also be EVILved into stronger forms upon reaching a certain level. Astrals can also randomly learn new abilities through combat based upon how and when you use them.

Finally, Astrals fall into three categories: Angels, Fallen Angels, and Demons, each of which all have their own motives and roles to play in the war between Heaven and Demons.

X07QdsU.png

4U0SygY.jpg

KWHCUgU.jpg

1h4iggR.jpg

8qFWalq.jpg

2Ns4Hy0.png

(more to be added)​

Q: Wait, so this is a sequel to El Shaddai? The action game? The game that was most certainly not a JRPG?
A: Weirdly enough, yes.

Q: Really? These two games couldn't be remotely the same.
A: Yes, really. Not only is this story a semi-continuation of El Shaddai with Lucifel still present, Enoch is a recruitable party member.

Q: So, semi-retro MegaTen clone. Seems simple enough. Any other notable differences?
A: For starters, the biggest difference is that there is no fusion in this game. Also, while you can freely summon Astrals to and from standby, adding them to standby from storage is limited within dungeons. Once you use up your number of transfers within a dungeon, you are stuck with whatever you have active and on standby until you return to town.

Q: What about Karma? Does it function like Magicite? It sounds like Magicite.
A: Sort of. You do need to spend Karma to purify a freshly caught/revived Astral and make it available for use, but you don't need to spend it to actively summon them nor does your karma get sapped by moving around the map as it did in older MegaTen games. Karma's primary purpose, at any rate, is leveling up your astrals.

Q: I noticed multiple types of karma elsewhere. What's up with that?
A: Karma effectively comes in three separate types and is gained differently depending on how you act in combat and what you kill.

Q: How challenging/unforgiving is this game?
A: Current reviews and impressions have it sounding like it's on the easier side of MegaTen. Like modern MegaTen, it also has a moderately forgiving gameover system where you can spend money to restart a lost battle or spend karma to rewind to before the battle started and prevent the encounter from having happened entirely.

ZsFJgyv.png

(more to be added)​

Gamepitt 8.5/10
The Lost Child is both a great game and a very frustrating one. It does a lot of things really well, the dungeon crawling, the story, the voice acting, the combat, and the puzzles themselves. Yet, it also has issues with the lack of tracking your investigations well, the difficulty spike at certain points, the too-frequent random battles, and the vagueness of some of the riddles. However, as a whole, the game was great to play through as it only got more interesting the more you got into it, and it was very satisfying to both solve the puzzles and unlock 100% of each floor. If you're a fan of games like Etrian Odyssey or Demon Gaze and would like to play a great story with awesome music and voice acting whilst solving puzzles/riddles as you work your way through the dungeons – then check it out!
Nintendo World Report 8/10
It would be an easy task to find faults simply by focusing in on individual aspects of The Lost Child. The vast majority of the game can be traced back to another JRPG that probably did it better, and if you can't get passed that, than you probably aren't going to enjoy it. But what I can't deny is that when I just stopped caring about how much was borrowed from previous titles, I had a lot of fun, and that's all that really matters.

Digitally Downloaded 8/10
I was disappointed that The Lost Child failed so completely to do something meaningful with the Lovecraftian concept. In fact, the game has so completely missed the mark on that that it's almost insulting that the developers used names like "Hastor" and "Cthulhu" to describe your foes, rather than replace them with more original monster names. Once I settled past that disappointment, though, I discovered that The Lost Child is also a game that so cleanly represents everything good about the dungeon crawler genre that I found it hard to put down. The fact that it's the perfect introduction to the dungeon crawler genre also makes it the perfect first example on the new hardware.

Everyeye 7/10
Even if the intricate and very traditional history could not capture your attention, the bestiary collection and its evolution could keep you glued to the screen for weeks.

Push Square 5/10

The Lost Child isn't a game bereft of merit, and we're sure that there's a number of people who'll enjoy the visual novel slash first person dungeon crawler approach taken here. But it's certainly a game with limited appeal - even among the role playing game demographic - thanks to the lifeless battles and cumbrous dungeon design. It's a game that pays more than a passing nod to numerous other RPGs - Pokemon, Persona, and other Shin Megami Tensei titles - but sadly, never approaches the quality of any of them.

(Coming Soon!)​
As we all play through the game and as those who have already played the Japanese version, here is where community driven advice will go.

(more to be added)​
The Lost Child homepage
NA eShop
NA PSN

Last edited:

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I want to play this one! Sadly Amazon appears to have decided it doesn't exist, and Best Buy's not offering any release date or early shipping anywhere around me. :/ I wonder if it'll be a low-ish print run?

At any rate, when I find a copy I'll give it a shot.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Price(s): $49.99/£49.99
NISA, pls...

Looking forward to playing this, even though I'm not sure whether I'll buy it day 1.

OP
OP
Nairume

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I want to play this one! Sadly Amazon appears to have decided it doesn't exist, and Best Buy's not offering any release date or early shipping anywhere around me. :/ I wonder if it'll be a low-ish print run?

At any rate, when I find a copy I'll give it a shot.
Amazon has been out of copies for a while. I wasn't even able to get one in time and am now just going to get it digitally.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm interested in picking this up. Not Day 1 though, but by the end of June.

Any known differences between PS4 and Switch (besides portability)?

Edit: Actually now I'm worried about getting a copy. BestBuy has only 3 PS4 copies for pre-order and 18 Switch. Do you guys think this is gonna be a 'rare' game? Amazon.ca is sold out of Switch versions right now as well.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Amazon has been out of copies for a while. I wasn't even able to get one in time and am now just going to get it digitally.

Yeah. They did still have it for the Switch a few days ago, but even that's gone now. I had assumed the lack of PS4 copies was the usual mystery Amazon/Sony beef and it would pop up eventually, but I guess it's just a legit lack of copies.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I'm reviewing the Vita port, but the game isn't up on Sony's servers yet. Hoping this will be good, as it's NISA's very last Vita title after all these years.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Actually now I'm worried about getting a copy. BestBuy has only 3 PS4 copies for pre-order and 18 Switch. Do you guys think this is gonna be a 'rare' game? Amazon.ca is sold out of Switch versions right now as well.

yeah i don't think games like this get reorders unfortunately.

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
Could'nt wait for the game to arrive but the more I wait the more I'm questioning myself. It stinks of the type of rpg that you buy because some of the creators are cool / it's one of the first of its kind on a console, but when you actually play the game for 10's of hours you suddenly want to hit your head against a wall for buying a piece of shit.
I mean, ffs, I know that it was a tall order after glorious artists took care of designing demons for years, but the non human creatures in this look like shit.

Oh, that last character looks like HPL... I think I will do something I will regret tomorrow.

D4rth Man7iz

Mar 30, 2018
Wait.. El Shaddai sequel is hours away from being released? I was aware it was on its way but like until September or later. Unfortunately I don't have a PS4 and I sold my Vita a long time ago. I plan to get a Pro around black friday, I'll definitely pick this up by then.

Great work OP! Thread Watched :)

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
This looks interesting and I really enjoyed El Shaddai for the most part. I'll wait for impressions before I pick it up, though.

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
My Switch copy should come in today!
I'm interested in picking this up. Not Day 1 though, but by the end of June.

Any known differences between PS4 and Switch (besides portability)?

Edit: Actually now I'm worried about getting a copy. BestBuy has only 3 PS4 copies for pre-order and 18 Switch. Do you guys think this is gonna be a 'rare' game? Amazon.ca is sold out of Switch versions right now as well.
For really niche stuff like this, the sooner the better when it comes to physical releases.

Noire

Oct 25, 2017
Were the Japanese impressions positive on this game? Can't decide if I want it or not... or what platform to go for. Dx

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Visually this game looks awful. Like looking at vomit on acid.

Really ugly. I'm not a fan of the hodge-podge of aesthetics. The humans look generic and the monster designs look like ass.

Look at this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Barf.

Last edited:

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Big fan of dungeon-crawlers but my backlog is too thick to take on a new one.

Thanks for the thread though. I'll keep an eye on impressions.

Oct 25, 2017
The void
Ordered for in store pick up. Will decide by tomorrow if I wanna keep it. If there's a chance it will be difficult to find later, I'll just keep it.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Nice OT, should have my copy tomorrow. Any idea if there are multiple endings or important missables?

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Great, now I am starting to get worried that if I choose to get this, there won't be any physical copies of the Switch version around.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
DRPGs aren't my favorite genre, but one by the maker of El Shaddai, with Lovecraft stuff? I'm in.

I've had the Switch version preordered for a while now. Hopefully they actually send me one.

I'm going to hold off on playing it until SDCC, though. Seems like the perfect game to grind while in lines / panels I don't want to be in.

Hibiki

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Considering this game, but having a hard time deciding between Vita or Switch...

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Push Square's review slightly less glowing. 5/10

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/the_lost_child

The Lost Child isn't a game bereft of merit, and we're sure that there's a number of people who'll enjoy the visual novel slash first person dungeon crawler approach taken here. But it's certainly a game with limited appeal - even among the role playing game demographic - thanks to the lifeless battles and cumbrous dungeon design. It's a game that pays more than a passing nod to numerous other RPGs - Pokemon, Persona, and other Shin Megami Tensei titles - but sadly, never approaches the quality of any of them.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
This game looked intruiging until I went in here and people complaining about the visual style which does look bad. Colours and mish mash of designs all over the place.

Also that Push Square review has done it no favours.

Think I'll pass or wait for a really deep discount like £10 or something.

I wish there was a DRPG on PS4 that wasn't just a port of a vita one as the ones on there have too much fan service, crap stories with pointless dialog and annoying girls scantily dressed for no reason. I've never been able to play those even if the dungeon bits are good. The whole look and story just turns me off. Demon Gaze 2 is supposed to be good but just look at the art style and fan service and crappy conversations in the game. I just can't get past it.

Why can't they make a decent DRPG like the Etrian Odyssey series of games or like that classic game from PS2 era, Wizardry Tales of the Forsaken Souls?

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I will probably get this eventually. I'm gtting to a point in my life where gaming will be a luxury so I will have to wait on a sale for this, but it should satisfy the MegaTen urge until SMT5

Hickem

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I have a review copy and i'm playing through the game but i have a question (maybe a reviewer is here and can help me)

How can i get the material to befriend the bosses? Post game or the secret dungeon?

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
So like it says in the F.A.Q., it's not EO or most of those dungeon crawlers hard...? does it have difficulty options...? I like these kind of games but can never finish them because they usually are too hard...I have 4 Etrian Odyssey games and finished none of them but I enjoy them while it lasts.

Three freely selectable difficulty settings. On easy, you can auto battle just about every encounter, even some bosses if you stop to heal with Lua once in a while.

Hibiki

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
This game looked intruiging until I went in here and people complaining about the visual style which does look bad. Colours and mish mash of designs all over the place.

Also that Push Square review has done it no favours.

Think I'll pass or wait for a really deep discount like £10 or something.

I wish there was a DRPG on PS4 that wasn't just a port of a vita one as the ones on there have too much fan service, crap stories with pointless dialog and annoying girls scantily dressed for no reason. I've never been able to play those even if the dungeon bits are good. The whole look and story just turns me off. Demon Gaze 2 is supposed to be good but just look at the art style and fan service and crappy conversations in the game. I just can't get past it.

Why can't they make a decent DRPG like the Etrian Odyssey series of games or like that classic game from PS2 era, Wizardry Tales of the Forsaken Souls?
Yeah that's something that has bugged me a lot about so many DRPG on Vita.I'm trying to looking past it so I can enjoy another DRPG, but it's hard.

OP
OP
Nairume

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got some time to start playing. It was a nice surprise for the opening to start out the same general way as El Shaddai.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I've played for like 2-3 hours so far maybe. Game is fun, but super easy on Normal. I might bump the difficulty up if it doesn't get any harder after a while. I'm also not really sure what type of Karma to use to level up the Astrals. Does it matter? I've just been using the red one so far mostly since that's what the game recommended.

platypo

Jan 9, 2018
I can't wait to start this game tonight. I feel DRPGS are a very unique and immersive genre and love it when they have an ambitious narrative.

There's something about tight hallways and abstracted movement that make these games kind of creepy, tense and atmospheric.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Surprised that there are already more reviews for Ys VIII Switch than this considering the former is not even released yet.

I'm mildly interested here but need to see more opinions.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Just got it digitally on Switch. Hated Natural Doctrine, but enjoyed God Wars, so was torn on getting this. Figured I would take a chance since I love dungeon crawlers . Reviews seem about what I expected.(6-8 range)