• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Remk NG

Apr 16, 2018
Wait, the Vita version is only digital AND 50 bucks? Wthat the heck Nisa that is one poor swan song

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, the Vita version is only digital AND 50 bucks? Wthat the heck Nisa that is one poor swan song
More like the kind of price that will garner just the level of sales to justify no further Vita releases, just like Koei Tecmo did with Attack on Titan. Same price too.

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious to see how this turns out. I'm still busy with Strange Journey Redux for now but i've been keeping an eye on this game

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot to actually cancel this. I still have SMT games to play and I just got SMT Strange Journey recently and have nave yet to open it. So this is going back to Amazon when I get it. I can't afford to spend the money on this at the moment if I'm not going to be playing it anytime soon. I also want to see how it turns out and maybe I'll grab it off the eShop at a later time.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Any impressions from you guys? EU here so wont be able to play until friday.

Griffin

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka
I posted up my own review earlier today. I thought it was a very middle of the road dungeon crawler. The big bonus dungeon has some interesting gimmicks, but most of the labyrinths didn't do much for me. There's a lot of creatures you can capture and raise, but going by other reviews we all seemed to pick exactly the same ones! Echidna and Enoch are too strong. Also, while it's interesting to see a JRPG covering the Cthulhu mythos, it's weird to see an indescribably horrifying elder god talking like Bubsy.

cz5PFzP.jpg

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
I posted up my own review earlier today. I thought it was a very middle of the road dungeon crawler. The big bonus dungeon has some interesting gimmicks, but most of the labyrinths didn't do much for me. There's a lot of creatures you can capture and raise, but going by other reviews we all seemed to pick exactly the same ones! Echidna and Enoch are too strong. Also, while it's interesting to see a JRPG covering the Cthulhu mythos, it's weird to see an indescribably horrifying elder god talking like Bubsy.

cz5PFzP.jpg

This is hilarious.
I need this game.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Not far into the game, but it's about what I expected. Not great graphics, okay music and story, and pretty fun dungeon crawl. Still not sure about what difference the karma makes. I mainly use the red to level up demons. Also not sure if I should be conserving it and not level them up much higher than the two main characters.

I will say I'm surprised that so far the voice acting and localization is much better than I expected. Especially for a low budget game .

Red or Alive

Oct 28, 2017
As much as I liked El Shaddai, I'm not sure if there's anything here for me.

That the wonderful aesthetic of El Shaddai has been replaced by such an uninspired, almost generic anime look is extremely disappointing. No Jason Isaacs, either.

I could actually go for a less punishing take on a mainline Shin Megami Tensei game but the ÂŁ50 asking price is just too high for me to take a chance.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017

cz5PFzP.jpg
Shrieking with laughter at this. It's kind of selling it to me. I can't justify a purchase right now but I might get it digitally down the road if it's sold out when I have the time to play it.

Griffin

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka
Not far into the game, but it's about what I expected. Not great graphics, okay music and story, and pretty fun dungeon crawl. Still not sure about what difference the karma makes. I mainly use the red to level up demons. Also not sure if I should be conserving it and not level them up much higher than the two main characters.

I will say I'm surprised that so far the voice acting and localization is much better than I expected. Especially for a low budget game .

Later on you'll get to recruit fallen angels and eventually angels, which get more experience from the two other kinds of karma. Of course you'll encounter more powerful astrals later, but you might as well spend that red karma now.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Later on you'll get to recruit fallen angels and eventually angels, which get more experience from the two other kinds of karma. Of course you'll encounter more powerful astrals later, but you might as well spend that red karma now.

Cool. Thanks for the info. My impressions of this are rising a bit as I continue. One other question, what stats are best to focus on when leveling up? I realise weapons and armor boost the def and atk stats so should I focus mainly on others like speed, evasion and critical, or put some in atk for Hayato and Lua?

I do like how rng determines the skills the astrals can learn. It makes for some interesting skills. Opening treasure chests with the simple mini game is kind of fun as well.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Fantastic Thread! I hope to contribute advice as time goes on, I'm really digging this game!

I was always down for this, because I Love El Shaddai, but I was initially sceptical of the change in design, considering the strengths of the previous game.

ten hours later, those worries left me, and I find this a really fun dungeon crawler, and a pretty awesome sequel, if a little different to get used to. even with a change in setting, it fits in with the other game just fine and I love how they reference El Shaddai on occasion, like one of your responses in a conversation is "No problem, everything's fine."

I hope everyone has a good time! I'll throw this one in quick;

In a special dungeon, a powerful god roams and blocks your path. His strength is based on the current levels of your protagonists, and he fights through a proxy Astral. He's always defeatable, but be wary, as his stats are pretty great!

Hickem

Oct 26, 2017
Italy

cz5PFzP.jpg
Need help from you:p
Mt. Fuji part 2 floor 4. Can't find the unlucky way:(

Also: materiali to befriend bosses is in the secret dungeon?

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up the LE and it's a beaut.

Don't know when I'll be able to play this but I may have to bump it up the backlog!

zivOaUm.jpg

EuEEHGf.jpg

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
oh man, the puzzle in lvl 5 of R'lyeh is really busting me up, any tips?

since an astral EVILving yard it back to level 1, but with a new skill and a better potential for power, you might actually want to hold off on doing that until you stockpile enough appropriate Karma to get it back into shape. or, just keep them at max level, don't EVILve them until later, and have them act as your muscle until you need them to get much stronger.

with smart, focused Karma management, your astrals will consistently be your most powerful and high-stated characters, so try to take advantage of that by getting a few of your best MP and MAG ATK ones to learn a little healing, if you can score a multi-heal, you'll be set for a very long time!

With that in mind, your main characters DO have an advantage over your astrals, and that's focused stat development! if you can help it, try putting a ton of points into stats that don't raise naturally, like Speed, Evasion, Hit and Crit.

Speed is most important to focus on early, since it'll serve as your "safety net," where you'll always be able to count on getting an item or heal in at the start of a turn when it's needed!

a bit of Hit will go a LONG way to keeping you from missing attacks too often, which is a frequent hassle!

Evasion will save your bacon more often then not if you can afford to put points in, but since Magic is usually pretty accurate regardless, it's importance should probably be weighed against more pressing effects.

Criticals happen more often if you hit a weakness, so depending on your equipment, you might not even need to put that much in to see a difference! It also affects spells, so I wholeheartedly recommend putting a bunch into it after covering speed!

and of course, since damage raises and lowers greatly depending on the difference between DEF and ATK of both kinds, try getting a few points into the offensive stats of your characters, just to keep up with your astrals, you'd be surprised how quickly you can!

Last edited:

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
When you unlock stamp for big purchases and sells at the book store, if you want to get a ton of them quickly, you can purchase all the Byakhee Warps you can carry, and sell them all back!

Byakhee Warps:

Buy for 140 Yen
Sell for 100 Yen

and you can get an extra 10 yen back with the Black Card, which makes stuff you sell him worth 10% more, purchasable with 300 stamps!

if you end up drowning in Yen, and want to see what neat stuff you can get with the stamps, I'd try this out!

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
How is the story? Is it more cyberpunk or just modern occult?

It has a definite interesting thread in it's plot about Fallen Angels and the reasons and motivations that lead them to live with humans instead of with god! there's more, but that's a particularly interesting hook for me!

also, there IS a cyber priest, who's represented by a computer monitor, and he has cats hanging out on it. it's pretty great.

to actually answer your question, it's Modern Occult, mixed with a bit of lovecraft for Demon flavor, and Tron-like Computer demons as the Fallen Angels.

your main character is even a journalist for an Occult magazine, and you investigate various spooky places to uncover Occult mysteries, both as the main quest, and several side quests. it does a pretty good job of wrapping it's gameplay and atmosphere in modern occult style!

Last edited:

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I can't find this game on Switch in Mexico it sucks, I may be forced to go digital on it.
From everything that has been said on this thread it seems really interesting take

OP
OP
Nairume

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Er, I don't mean in quality. It's comparable in the sense that it involves a newspaper/magazine reporter investigating into the occult.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
For those in the know, what do abilities like "H Rate +-% do? I'm assuming that's Hit Rate, but it could also be for Hostility Rate. Trying to determine if that effect is worth keeping akin to how I'm pretty sure Damage -% is good for defense as well.

The game could do with some clarification on what stats/effects do.

Also, the difficulty balancing in this game is kind of bad. I did Hard all the way up until Hastur where it seemed like it'd be literally impossible to win due to how much damage he could put out unless I super grinded. Switched it to normal and beat him on the first try and now the game is, for the most part, super easy. It'd be one thing if there were a bonus for playing in hard, but there's literally no reason too since XP gains are the same and putting it in hard just makes it so that enemies do a billion more damage.

Last edited:

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Still not out on EU eShop. Blazblue is out though which also releases today and also had no predownload (I think?)... What's happening?

Edit: Game is out now, downloading!

Last edited:

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Still not out on EU eShop. Blazblue is out though which also releases today and also had no predownload (I think?)... What's happening?

Edit: Game is out now, downloading!

Have fun, man! only piece of advice I'll give right now is to save often! it helps if you make a decision that you regret afterwards, or if you want to get a bunch of xp stocked up, and want to try your options before spending all of it!

don't be afraid to ask in the thread if you want advice!

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
For those in the know, what do abilities like "H Rate +-% do? I'm assuming that's Hit Rate, but it could also be for Hostility Rate. Trying to determine if that effect is worth keeping akin to how I'm pretty sure Damage -% is good for defense as well.

The game could do with some clarification on what stats/effects do.

Also, the difficulty balancing in this game is kind of bad. I did Hard all the way up until Hastur where it seemed like it'd be literally impossible to win due to how much damage he could put out unless I super grinded. Switched it to normal and beat him on the first try and now the game is, for the most part, super easy. It'd be one thing if there were a bonus for playing in hard, but there's literally no reason too since XP gains are the same and putting it in hard just makes it so that enemies do a billion more damage.
On Normal, this is probably the second easiest DRPG I've ever played. The easiest is Ray Gigant, probably.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Have fun, man! only piece of advice I'll give right now is to save often! it helps if you make a decision that you regret afterwards, or if you want to get a bunch of xp stocked up, and want to try your options before spending all of it!

don't be afraid to ask in the thread if you want advice!
Thanks and will keep that in mind!

Played almost 2 hours now and I actually really enjoy the game so far. It's not SMT but honestly not that far from it either. Can I capture as many demons as I'd like or is it like SMT, a limit?

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the OP -- my Switch copy is arriving from Best Buy today; GCU may be on life support, but it makes it possible for me to afford games like this.

I'm also working through Strange Journey Redux right now ... It'll be nice to move on to an easier dungeon crawl after lol

Alboreo

Jan 31, 2018
This looks right up my alley, as I love dungeon crawlers. I really don't like the art, though, and the price seems quite steep (albeit I'm used to buying my dungeon crawlers on Vita/3DS where games are generally cheaper anyway). If the art were more pleasant to me I'd probably jump on it anyway. I'll likely end up waiting given Octopath and Shining are just around the corner, but I'll pick it up on a half-decent sale.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Visually this game looks awful. Like looking at vomit on acid.

Really ugly. I'm not a fan of the hodge-podge of aesthetics. The humans look generic and the monster designs look like ass.

Look at this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Barf.

Reminds me a lot of Shin Megami Tensei. have learned this is just not my style, no matter how much I dig the first-person RPG approach.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I'll admit, I think the music in this game is fine, there are few standouts but overall it's fine, but listening to El Shaddai music makes me kinda wish that out of all the little things they put in this game, that they could have just poached the El Shaddai soundtrack and put it in this game.

I mean, listen to this stuff!

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Game is much better than I expected but I am only about 4h in. Most of the music is actually decent and the characters so far are more interesting than I expected them to be. Sure I didn't expect much but still, glad it's a decent game.

I am a bit confused about weaknesses and exploiting them, how do I know what the enemy is weak to?

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Game is much better than I expected but I am only about 4h in. Most of the music is actually decent and the characters so far are more interesting than I expected them to be. Sure I didn't expect much but still, glad it's a decent game.

I am a bit confused about weaknesses and exploiting them, how do I know what the enemy is weak to?

There's a different reticule when you target an enemy with an attack that target's their weakness.

you'll eventually be told in the loading screens hints, and one of them gives you the elemental Hierarchy, which is,

Water beats Fire
Fire beats Wood
Wood beats Wind
Wind beats Lightning
Lightning beats Water

it's not Critical (actual it is!) to split hairs about weaknesses, but you do get extra damage and increased critical chance, so look out for good elemental spells if you can, like Tree Whip.

If I could give any piece of advice, it'd be to continue to level up and invest in Enoch, he's sooooooo amazing! an indispensable trap ability, great stat growth, and when fully EVILve'd, he gets to the highest rank, and therefore get's a ridiculous max level! with him in your squad, you'll be saying:

No problem, Everything's fine.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Is the witch girl like Nemissa/the general SMT female protagonist?

Yes, very much. She learns new abilities in the same way as your astrals, but she has a unique move set, including songs that affect your stats for the rest of a battle, and healing abilities.

Unless you can get a bunch of equipment that raises her MP, I'd be careful with how much she has left, especially considering how powerful her abilities can be with the right powerful weapon!

which brings up a great tip, the power of an equipped weapon affects both physical and magical damage, so if you have a really strong single attack weapon, put it on Lua to empower her abilities! since she can use attacks that deal more then normal damage, it certainly pays off!

and in case nobody read up, invest in Hit rate and Crit rate, It'll be immeasurably useful!

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Finished the game a bit ago. I thought it was decent, but it definitely has problems. I ended up using Enoch, Echidna and Yamaoto-Takeru like the whole game even though there are a ton of Astrals to choose from since I had no real incentive to change due to the game being so easy. Probably not going to bother with the 100 floor bonus dungeon.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Finished the game a bit ago. I thought it was decent, but it definitely has problems. I ended up using Enoch, Echidna and Yamaoto-Takeru like the whole game even though there are a ton of Astrals to choose from since I had no real incentive to change due to the game being so easy. Probably not going to bother with the 100 floor bonus dungeon.

Yeah Normal seems pretty easy for regular battles. Is Hard much different? I will say some of the boss battles have been tough. Actually got destroyed by the early boss Hastur the first time.