• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rtv190

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
edit: people couldn't handle the video and decided to take it out on me

Last edited:

s y

Nov 8, 2017
The new combat seems to be slower, has less options and requeries way less skill from the player.
full

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with something different. I'm playing GOW3 remastered right now on Titan(Hard). And really enjoying how it's not treating me a like moron, actually requires me to position myself, time things properly etc. It's also completely over the top which is fun in it's own way. But I'm totally looking forward to the change of pace of the new game. Also I'll likely play it on the hardest difficulty for the gameplay reasons you stated. Which they said changes combat pretty drastically due to different enemy attacks/patterns/speed etc.

The new combat is much more deliberate and impactful which looks like it could be great. Regardless I'll wait to judge until after I've played it.

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy
Some people's resistance to evolution and maturation in the series is honestly rather disgusting to me.

God forbid they dare give some depth to an irritatingly one-dimensional character. God forbid they try to put some of themselves in their own work. They should always only pander to the hardcore fanbase that loves to see more of the same over 10 games of the same franchise because change is bad. /s

Videos like this make me roll my eyes so hard it's painful.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean im fine with this discussion but why is it based on this angry child's video lol

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

(from the video description)
"The new combat seems to be slower, has less options and requeries way less skill from the player. And then there is the attempt to squeze a tear from the "new wave" of players by making it more cinematic and tearjerking like the Last of Us. Problem is, it absolutely doesn't fit God of War and Kratos as a character. The "New direction" doesn't seem new, they are just pandering to the trends."
It's interesting to see how huge of a difference God Of War 4 is from the previous 3 games. (Yes, i am aware of it being a soft reboot of the series) Also, don't read the comments, trust me, they're bad.

Hard to fully talk about combat until we get our hands on it .
GOW was never a game that had a high level of skill needed to beat it even on the hardest level.
Also GOW was one of the most cinematic games to begin with .

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Nuance in storytelling =/= boring. Quite the opposite, actually. I think 2018 audiences just expect more from their characters than 2005 audiences, or even 2010 audiences. Kratos in all the preceding games is an irredeemable asshole. I get that that's the point, but we've had six games of that, and I just don't think that would fly anymore. Greek Kratos is an artifact of the Stussy S era of "cool," Norse Kratos is a necessary re-framing of that character as an actual human rather than a caricature, someone who would need to come to terms with their actions and behavior once their revenge was finished and they'd moved on. I don't think that's pandering, I think that's being in touch with the times alongside some quite inspired storytelling.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017

(from the video description)
"The new combat seems to be slower, has less options and requeries way less skill from the player. And then there is the attempt to squeze a tear from the "new wave" of players by making it more cinematic and tearjerking like the Last of Us. Problem is, it absolutely doesn't fit God of War and Kratos as a character. The "New direction" doesn't seem new, they are just pandering to the trends."
It's interesting to see how huge of a difference God Of War 4 is from the previous 3 games. (Yes, i am aware of it being a soft reboot of the series) Also, don't read the comments, trust me, they're bad.

They are dumb and wrong. The combat clearly has more depth and options. As much as I love the old GOW games. His claims about the combat seem just... wrong.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
What a garbage video. Glad to I don't have to search out these irrelevant youtubers and put their videos on Resetera.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I reserve my judgement until the game comes out.

Both combat wise

And narrative wise.

I of course have far less faith in the latter, but who knows, maybe they can convince me that their narrative can reconcile who Kratos was without it ringing painfully hollow and seemingly like trying to shove a square peg in a round hole.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Ive never really played the games, but the impression I get from the series is that they had hit the point where there was nothing left to do with the old format really, it was tired. New direction was necessary, if it was the same as the old games basically, it would not be getting the press and reactions this game is getting.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
God of War could have easily gone the Gears of War route and just delivered the same old thing. Santa Monica took a risk taking the series in a new direction but they needed to take it in a new direction. I'm all for it.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Some people's resistance to evolution and maturation in the series is honestly rather disgusting to me.

God forbid they dare give some depth to an irritatingly one-dimensional character. God forbid they try to put some of themselves in their own work. They should always only pander to the hardcore fanbase that loves to see more of the same over 10 games of the same franchise because change is bad. /s

I don't understand when people said that DadKratos doesn't really fit Kratos character.

I played GOW 3 a year ago after the GOW4 reveal trailer, and that last arc literally Kratos being a dad to Pandora. He even change his mind at the last second, trying to save Pandora instead of his original plan of sacrificing her to fuel his revenge.

And that last scene literally show Kratos redeemed himself by 'killing' himself to save Greek from the catasthrope he caused.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do people keep balking at the claim that the combat has less options when Kratos seems much less capable than prior games?

Cladyclad

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Time changes a lot

Not to compare my friend to Kratos

But my friend was a legit dirtbag before he had his child. My friend soften up a lot when he had his son. Don't get it twisted my friend still has that edge. And that's how I think this game is gonna be like. Kratos still is going to be a badass. Let something bad happen to Atrius. Kratos gon make GOW3 look like a Barbie adventure

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GOW 2018 looks pretty dull when you put it next to the Playstation2/3 versions.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I get being pessimistic about the new direction of God of War, but at least wait until the game is out and played before making claims like this.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Terrible video. But the combat does look really dull to me. Maybe it'll be fun when I actually play it but it definitely doesn't impress me visually.

blizzardjesus

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So that it's good now is the problem? I played 1 and 2 for the first time this year and had a miserable time with them. Many of the button mashing instances made me wish I had a turbo button. Doors shouldn't be hard to open. A few of the bosses were impossible without checking a FAQ. Most were fine, but some didn't telegraph if you were doing any damage or required some trick.

The games suffered the most from their: let's be as brutal as possible just becase we can attitude.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
The comments alone should be enough to tell you no one should bother clicking the video let alone reposting it.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
So that it's good now is the problem? I played 1 and 2 for the first time this year and had a miserable time with them. Many of the button mashing instances made me wish I had a turbo button. Doors shouldn't be hard to open. A few of the bosses were impossible without checking a FAQ. Most were fine, but some didn't telegraph if you were doing any damage or required some trick.

The games suffered the most from their: let's be as brutal as possible just becase we can attitude.
Did the FAQs say "hit them until they die" for those bosses?

Nov 2, 2017

irishonion

Oct 25, 2017
I had lots of fun with the originals, I'm excited about a new direction. (except for the awfully close fucking camera)

I'm trusting Cory that the combat is deeper than what I have seen in the early videos, and not just based around a axe.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I really love the series and played through all of them except Chains, but really Ascension was the "its time to move on". I think a lot of people point to it still being set in Greece as the primary issue, but the real issue imo was just that the gameplay, encounters, and even the titular huge moments felt the same as they had in God of War 1, God of War 2, God of War 3 and Ghost of Sparta. The tried and true heart of the game had been pushed to the limit and it was no use trying to squeeze anymore juice out of the lemon. Even if the game was suddenly set in Egypt or Nordic mythos, it wouldn't change the tiredness the fandom felt with always angry attitude of Kratos, the similar combat across all of the games, and the impact loss of the "huge moments" that became expected rather than surprising.
The PS4 seems like a huge shake up which I certainly enjoy. I think it is far less about following trends, and more learning from them. How do you make an unlikable protagonist worth rooting for (The Last of Us), how do you define what good action combat is now that stylish action has gone by the wayside (Souls), how do you build a world you don't necessarily need or want to tear down (Recent Open World games). Punishing a game for learning from an additional decade of game design seems silly, and criticizing people for changing tastes as they grew older seems counter intuitive to growing as a person.
I think God of War is one of my favorite series, and I actually very much liked Kratos as a character (its one of the few games where the ferocity of the combat was matched by the ferocity of the protagonist), but I am glad they went back to the drawing board. Otherwise the series would have fallen like many others into mediocrity and disinterest of sequels devs dont want to make and people stop wanting to play.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bit where the Dark Souls logo fades in over the tutorial screen got a good laugh out of me.

This had a lot more effort put into it than the last Crowbcat video, at the least.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't watched the video yet (and from the comments here it sounds like I'm best not doing...) but I can appriciate the sentiment. I trust the God of War devs to craft something amazing but I can't say that I don't have some concerns about the direction of the game from the footage I've seen so far. Something akin to the old God of War games would've been a breathe of fresh air to me in 2018.

Again, I trust the devs to make something great and from first impressions it seems like they've succeeded.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I'm confident this is going to get worse once the game comes out. The audience will be split between those who love it because it pushes the franchise to new directions and those who hate it because it changes the franchise formula too much.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The combat has less options and require way less skill?

Wut

I mean... the 15min footage we got has more depth and gameplay variety than all previous games in the series combined

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
I don't know about all of that, but what I do know is that I have never played or shown any interest in any previous God of War game, but have been entirely sold on this bold, more subdued version of GoW that finally seems interested in making Kratos an actual character instead of the screaming stab bro with a goatee he was for like a decade.

Plus with the way the axe is used, i.e. using it to disable enemies during overwhelming fights etc., this seems like the deepest GoW to date combat wise.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Like others, I feel if you are going to have a hot take on the narrative or gameplay of a game, wait for it to be out first. If you want to critique the designs or the tone and stuff, then fair enough, trailers and screenshots and promotion material gives you plenty for that.

With this though, even if the combat changes are less mashy/AoE heavy and it's slower and more deliberate, it hardly makes it easier, especially compared to the combat of previous GoW games. (also as an aside, I literally just remembered there were SIX GoW and not FIVE. A post earlier mentioned 6 and I thought it was a typo. I ALWAYS forget Ascension. And I've finished it!). And the story/evolution of Kratos should be a welcome thing, Kratos appears to have moved on from having a single emotion into being much closer to an actual character. As someone who enjoyed the GoW games but hated Kratos and his one note "I'm angry because of this mess I made!" I'm super excited to see a Kratos who shares a bond with another character, to see him interact with someone and not literally rip their head off a minute later or just constantly shout and scream at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.