• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
i believe your tag on the old forum was something along the lines of "i am full of shit, pure creamy shit" thats what this thread is.

I dont even know where to start with this, but holy fuck. The wife and I just watched all 3 extended editions yesterday since we were stuck inside. They are master pieces.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I quite like movies where you get to see characters on an actual journey, since modern blockbusters like to cut through globetrotting antics like you can travel across various parts of the world in what feels like minutes.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
pS20VRZ.gif
I love the movies but I love this more everytime I watch it

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
This used to be one of my favorite trilogies ever but I revisited them recently and I found that they are boring, meandering, drawn out and self-indulgent.

This is a 10+ hour series that consists of endless roaming and travelling. The plot is stretched across three movies and nothing really "new" or interesting happens other than the fellowship travelling across Middle Earth and escaping the clutches of the "enemy." They travel, they fight, some characters live and some characters die. Armies clash, and clash again. Sméagol is good, smeagol is bad. Will he or won't he? How long did they draw this out? Did anyone really think he was going to turn out good? There are sequences that go on endlessly. Like Shelob. How long is that scene? Does PJ have to stretch out EVERY scene? There is so little narrative and plot that moments and scenes in this move are always stretched to the extreme. He also repeatedly employs the same framing device: the camera pushes in on an actor and then that actor narrates a scene or explains the plot. This happens with Gandalf, Saruman, Galadriel, Elrond, Faramir. Wash, rinse, repeat. If you watch the extended editions, this is even more egregious and almost impossible to get through. I think by the time I got to ROTK, the constant use of this same "device" just broke me. And then I had to sit through yet another battle of clashing CGI armies. And then yet another drawn out fight between Sam, Frodo and Sméagol for possession of the ring. Endless slow mo, endless fighting back and forth, push ins on Frodo's struggle with the power of the ring. Etc etc. I don't see any way this trilogy can justify its ultimate running time.

Nope not at all.

Just weatched the extended trilogy about 6 weeks ago for the first time in a while and it was glorious.

Oct 30, 2017
Lol, they were literally considered unfilmable until PJ took the reigns. The trilogy that was delivered is far and above what everyone thought was possible. It is a landmark in cinema. You think it's meandering? Like others have said, don't read the books then. The editing that was done to make the series as coherent and approachable as it was is pretty incredible.

Yam

Dec 27, 2017
I'm with you, LOTR movies were the only time I've ever fallen asleep during a film.

What made you like it the first time around?

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Should have asked the eagles to take the ring to Mt. Doom. Then the Fellowship could have skipped everything.

Or a catapult.

T9CBQ.gif

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Nope, can't agree at all. Every time I catch five minutes of the trilogy, any five minutes of any of of the three movies, I'm immediately hooked back in and want to do another marathon. I'll never get tired of these movies.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I will admit I get a little bit sleepy during Fellowship of the Ring, but the other two movies are amazing.

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I created a thread on the first one and was called everything from an idiot to an alcoholic. I did finish watching all of them. Only second movie is kind of decent as a film.

The HUGE positive of watching extended editions of these films is that I learned to REALLY appreciate movies that are 2 hours or under!!! Movie watching is waaaay more enjoyable now.

The whole Back to the Future trilogy felt shorter than one LOTR. Also MUCH better trilogy. As is Planet of the Apes.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I created a thread on the first one and was called everything from an idiot to an alcoholic. I did finish watching all of them. Only second movie is kind of decent as a film.

The HUGE positive of watching extended editions of these films is that I learned to REALLY appreciate movies that are 2 hours or under!!! Movie watching is waaaay more enjoyable now.

The whole Back to the Future trilogy felt shorter than one LOTR. Also MUCH better trilogy. As is Planet of the Apes.
1 you were called these things because you said LOTR was derivative of game of thrones and a freaking video game, the Witcher. Let's not pretend that you didn't present a ridiculous, un—informed opinion.

2 your third paragraph proves the point even further.

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1 you were called these things because you said LOTR was derivative of game of thrones and a freaking video game, the Witcher. Let's not pretend that you didn't present a ridiculous, un—informed opinion.

2 your third paragraph proves the point even further.
Not what I said at all. Have fun insulting me though. I'm sure it will make those movies better.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Seriously, the books were way worse. But that is what he was adapting. Jackson gets shit for cutting out the most useless and meandering stuff still.
The books were way worse? The fuck you talking about. The books are literally some of thr best books written last century.

And why are there two of these threads?

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its extremely long and drawn out, but I like it that way. Easily the best films ever created, in my opinion.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
I dunno how people can't be captivated by these films, they are wonderful.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Not what I said at all. Have fun insulting me though. I'm sure it will make those movies better.
bull fucking shit, dude. bull. fucking. shit.
it is what you said to the point you had to go back to your OP and edit in that you saw GOT and played the witcher first so while technically they're not derivative thats how they feel derivative.

where did i insult you in my previous post?

do us all a favor and save us from your review of the Godfather, a movie isn't good or bad because of its length, i feel like this shouldn't have to be explained, but alas some people have the attention span of a gnat. There, now i've insulted your attention span.

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
bull fucking shit, dude. bull. fucking. shit.
it is what you said to the point you had to go back to your OP and edit in that you saw GOT and played the witcher first so while technically they're not derivative thats how they feel derivative.

where did i insult you in my previous post?

do us all a favor and save us from your review of the Godfather, a movie isn't good or bad because of its length, i feel like this shouldn't have to be explained, but alas some people have the attention span of a gnat. There, now i've insulted your attention span.
Do you really think that I didn't know that LOTR came out before Witcher 3??? What point are you even making? LOTR fans are the most defensive bunch of people I've ever encountered. Calm down, you can still enjoy your movie.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Totally agree.

The first one put me to sleep in the cinema and the theatrical was already far too long. Then some masochistic lunatic thought it needed to be even longer and released an extended edition.

The only redeeming feature of the trilogy is that it acts as an amazing insomnia cure.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
They're great epic cinema and masterful filmmaking (even more impressive compared to how badly botched The Hobbit films were). That said, like what you like, dislike what you dislike, but don't try to tell me LotR isn't great. Don't try to retcon reality, just sit there and be at peace with your bad taste.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
We really need to clean up the off-topic section of this website. "Super-popular thing actually suuuuucks" is getting old as a thread subject.

I don't really feel compelled to talk about things I don't like. Not sure why so much of the Internet is concerned with convincing each other they have bad taste.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I hate the movies as adaptations, but I can still say that they are triumphs of film. Just watch the behind the scenes stuff. The amount of effort, attention, and love that was poured into them is incredible.

BUT OF COURSE PJ HAD TO MAKE LEGOLAS SURF DOWN THE FUCKING STAIRS AND COMPLETELY CHANGED FARAMIR.

edit: oh wait, I can kind of see how you'd find them long and boring

The Faramir change was probably an improvement. The extended editions in particular really fleshed out that character.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
The saddest part for me is the end of RotK where Frodo reveals he is leaving and how the shire wasn't saved for him, the journey changed him forever.

Lucumo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, these threads are one of the first times in my life where I wanted to smack younger generations for not appreciating good things. Like, goddamn, people really don't have any attention span these days.

Ugh. Get off my lawn.
Has nothing to do with younger generation. The trilogy is boring. It wasn't that noticable back in the day as you only watched one movie but when watching all three right after another, it really shows. Especially the CGI fights really drag it down. Still, the beginning of the first movie will always be excellent.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
Weren't you the "full of creamy shit guy?" If yes, then damn, you're doing a great job living up to that!
I digress! I actually know a lot of folks who thought the same thing. The movies and books are definitely not for everyone and there is a lot of meandering for sure. I personally think they're among (if not the) best movies of all time and luckily plenty of people agree. Out of curiosity though, what sort of movies are you typically into? Can you name some favorites?