• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can get how long, sprawling epics might not be for everyone. When taken in the extended edition format, these are some LONG ass movies. Used to be a time when I'd welcome a movie 2+ hours long. Nowadays I'm thankful for when it's under 2, even more so when it clocks in at 90 minutes.

Still, Fellowship is one of the greatest films ever made and there's a reason the trilogy is considered a classic.

Lucumo

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like you're sitting down and watching 12 hours of movie at once.
Length has nothing to do with it. I usually watch stuff and play games longer than that without pause without getting bored. Sure, you can make a point that they are movies and not series/games but if I compare it to the original trilogy for example, it still falls severely short. (It's also only 9 or 11 hours, depending on the version you watch.)

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Or a catapult.

T9CBQ.gif

That's probably the best thing to come out of LOTR.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I'm with you, LOTR movies were the only time I've ever fallen asleep during a film.
This. It drags on. And on. And on. I fell fast asleep watching all three as a kid, once each while marathoning them. I bet I would now if I bothered to marathon them again.

Hasn't anything to do with length either, I can stay awake through even the extended version of Jackson's Kong, and the Hobbit films are actually enjoyable so it's not Jackson's skills being poor. And I like the novels so it isn't that either. They're just so fucking sleep inducing.

ThatWasAJoke

Oct 28, 2017
Just watched LOTR extended, its not as good as I remembered mainly because its aimed at a family audience and suffers slightly as a result. Still fantastic though. If you don't cry at the "no one bows to you" scene I just don't know what to say.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Do you really think that I didn't know that LOTR came out before Witcher 3??? What point are you even making? LOTR fans are the most defensive bunch of people I've ever encountered. Calm down, you can still enjoy your movie.
You said Star Wars Episode 4 was derivative of Episode 7, which makes absolutely no sense.

It was a troll thread. You blatantly ignored information directly presented to you and blamed the movie for not properly conveying it. The namecalling was weird shit that I don't know why that happened, but if you're going to pretend that the opinion presented in that thread made any sense whatsoever, then that's a rough mountain to climb. It's not that the fanbase is overly defensive, it's that the opinion you presented was poorly formed and borderline nonsensical.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Disagree with the OP on almost every level.

Didn't like the close up shots for dramatic scenes? Should it have been a sweeping shot swinging round the characters slo Mo Matrix style? Maybe a shot from Frodo's hairy Hobbit feet looking up at his face?

Endless roaming and traveling? The main plot is the having to take the one ring to Mordor. Not sure how this is a complaint? Was Gandalf just suppose to teleport them there?

"The plot is stretched across three movies and nothing really "new" or interesting happens other than the fellowship travelling across Middle Earth and escaping the clutches of the "enemy."

Come on now. Did we watch the same set of films. The fellowship is broken up by the end of film one, so saying the whole trilogy is the fellowship casually trekking across middle earth and nothing new happens beside that is factually untrue. Also what do you mean by "enemy"??

Look OP, I respect that not everyone will like LOTR, but some of these complaints are ridiculous!

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I still love them to death and watch them regularily. But I will admit that in the extended editions, in RotK I'm always like "Just.. get.. the god damn ring to the top of that friggin mountain!"

It takes the epicness of finally destroying the ring away because it takes so damn long for them to get it in there. Its like holy hell that just took way too long.

And I mean just the final ascent and actually just throwing it in there. The way there is exciting.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I've started watching the third one literally 5 times and never saw the end because each time I fell asleep somewhere in the middle. That movie is the longest snooze ever.

Paradox House

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In no way are they meandering. Characters move pretty much in line with the plot. The only 'meandering' is Farmir in Two Towers but i dont think I'd call a major character introduction and plot point meandering. Plus we dont have to rewatch Sam and Frodo make up lost ground.

ThatWasAJoke

Oct 28, 2017
No. No. No. Faramir represented the good that was in men. He was the opposite of Boromir.

PJ fucked it all up.
Boromir redeems himself though, they're clearly both shades of grey and presenting men's struggle against corruption as an existential battle that exists within each individual. I'm about the to watch TT again for the first time in a while and I'll get back here but i remember liking the changes.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
The length is just perfect.

By the time I'd finally finished RotK, I felt like I had accomplished something. Like I'd been on an actual journey.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
No. No. No. Faramir represented the good that was in men. He was the opposite of Boromir.

PJ fucked it all up.

He was still that. Faramir was invincible to the ring in the books which didn't make sense. He had his brief moment of temptation but ultimately he rejected it and he was a more reasonable character because of it, IMO.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
I hate being enraptured for too long

Brilliant. Joking aside Peter has a tendency to be very hesitant to edit. He makes lavish epics and probably should have someone known to be a little more economical in the room. That sad, I adore both trilogies. I rewatching once a year because they transport me to a world I love with characters I love. I do the same with the books.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
If only we had Tom's singing... It's make the best movies ever. But without them, it's nothing! I jest, of course. That guy and his songs... Oh my god. Gaaahh!

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
I'm with you OP. Experiencing those movies in the cinema was the greatest thing ever. Loved those movies, it was magical.

Watching them a couple years later on DVD, I was shocked at how bad they aged and how ridiculous they were.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the whole point is that it's slow.

It's an epic, it's one 12 hour movie they had to condense and chop down into 3 2 1/2 hour movies. That's the whole point.

Oct 27, 2017
Two Towers is pretty meandering since it's 90% setup.

But Fellowship and Return are masterful. Return of the King is the most emotionally satisfying sequel Ive ever seen. It's incredible. And I didn't like the books at all.

onepiecefan

Oct 29, 2017
Make sure you steer clear of the books then that's for sure lol. We seem to be getting a lot of these LOTR bashing threads recently, not sure why that is, have modern films just made people impatient?

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
This week in "Water is wet," somebody realised that a film of an epic fantasy novel contains a lot of travelogue, lots of narrow escapes and so on. What were they expecting? A romantic comedy, a detective story, a spy thriller?

Next, I expect somebody to start complaining that Jackson's writer obviously stole the idea of a horcrux from JK Rowling.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched the extended Blu Rays again last week over a couple of days.

Yeah, they need editing. But fuck it, they're a strange and wonderful beast. I love the trilogy and vividly remember seeing each instalment in the cinema for my birthday. Read the book when I was like 10 and fell in love.

It's still pretty amazing they managed to make these come out over 3 years. I know that's years of prep beforehand, but once they released Fellowship, the schedules must have been super tight to make sure 2 + 3 released on time.

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the extended Blu Rays again last week over a couple of days.

Yeah, they need editing. But fuck it, they're a strange and wonderful beast. I love the trilogy and vividly remember seeing each instalment in the cinema for my birthday. Read the book when I was like 10 and fell in love.

It's still pretty amazing they managed to make these come out over 3 years. I know that's years of prep beforehand, but once they released Fellowship, the schedules must have been super tight to make sure 2 + 3 released on time.
IIRC Jackson didn't even have time to watch his final cut of ROTK before sending it to theaters.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great adaptation as it managed to be as drawn out and boring as the books. They fucked up The Hobbit though.

The Simarillion is still the GOAT and it's not even close.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC Jackson didn't even have time to watch his final cut of ROTK before sending it to theaters.

Really, that's crazy! I need to watch some of the featurettes again, it's been 10+ years. I remember a couple of guys just sat in a shed in New Zealand and did nothing but make chainmail links for like 5 years ha.

"Edited" versions exist. The theatrical ones. Watch those. They're paced as well as they could be.

Yeah, of course. I saw them all at the cinema upon release. It wasn't really even a complaint about the extended editions. I take them as they are and have seen them so many times that I don't have to pay so much attention, but still love them.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
This used to be one of my favorite trilogies ever but I revisited them recently and I found that they are boring, meandering, drawn out and self-indulgent.

This is a 10+ hour series that consists of endless roaming and travelling. The plot is stretched across three movies and nothing really "new" or interesting happens other than the fellowship travelling across Middle Earth and escaping the clutches of the "enemy." They travel, they fight, some characters live and some characters die. Armies clash, and clash again. Sméagol is good, smeagol is bad. Will he or won't he? How long did they draw this out? Did anyone really think he was going to turn out good? There are sequences that go on endlessly. Like Shelob. How long is that scene? Does PJ have to stretch out EVERY scene? There is so little narrative and plot that moments and scenes in this move are always stretched to the extreme. He also repeatedly employs the same framing device: the camera pushes in on an actor and then that actor narrates a scene or explains the plot. This happens with Gandalf, Saruman, Galadriel, Elrond, Faramir. Wash, rinse, repeat. If you watch the extended editions, this is even more egregious and almost impossible to get through. I think by the time I got to ROTK, the constant use of this same "device" just broke me. And then I had to sit through yet another battle of clashing CGI armies. And then yet another drawn out fight between Sam, Frodo and Sméagol for possession of the ring. Endless slow mo, endless fighting back and forth, push ins on Frodo's struggle with the power of the ring. Etc etc. I don't see any way this trilogy can justify its ultimate running time.
Yeah this is pretty much what I thought the first time I saw them lol
There was just one task to get done and it even felt like a foregone conclusion at that.

That might be forgiven if the characterization was well done but it wasn't. Instead of good characterization we got lots of redundant dialogue about how bad things were going to happen if that great evil isn't stopped. I thought The Fellowship of the Ring was the best of the three FWIW.

Overall, I didn't think they were terrible or anything but just amounted to something very average.

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You said Star Wars Episode 4 was derivative of Episode 7, which makes absolutely no sense.

It was a troll thread. You blatantly ignored information directly presented to you and blamed the movie for not properly conveying it. The namecalling was weird shit that I don't know why that happened, but if you're going to pretend that the opinion presented in that thread made any sense whatsoever, then that's a rough mountain to climb. It's not that the fanbase is overly defensive, it's that the opinion you presented was poorly formed and borderline nonsensical.
Sorry, it was not obvious to me that Episode VII was released after Episode IV. LOL What point are you even trying to make. Obviously I was saying how something felt. Is that such a difficult concept to grasp? I can't erase from my memory what I've already seen.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the fact that the movies take their time that makes them so good.

There's a trend towards light-speed pacing in any action films this decade that I think has gone way too far. Lord of the Rings was appropriately paced, imo.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Watched the extended editions last months again for the 10th time. Still the best movies i have ever seen.

Timeless movies.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best parts of LOTR is that it convinced the masses to eagerly sit through three long movies better than just about any movie since, sans maybe Avatar.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I still like the movies alot. I tried to read the Fellowship of the Ring like 3 times but it felt too drawn out. The movie is a godsend.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I completely disagree but you're definitely entitled to your opinion. The LOTR movies are masterpieces in my eyes. They were damn long, but the movies were really all about the journey.

I created a thread on the first one and was called everything from an idiot to an alcoholic. I did finish watching all of them. Only second movie is kind of decent as a film.

I don't agree with some of the comments made in that thread, but you ignored many very thoughtful and well put together posts in there. Those posters attempted to address your issues with the movie and it seemed like you were dead set on not paying attention to any explanations presented.

Hopefully this thread doesn't turn out like that.

Last edited:

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed Fellowship and can't find much wrong with it.

Jackson and the actors did a great job creating that world. I loved and still love that movie. That is also my favorite part of the books. The introduction of the character, the plot and the fellowship.

What did not work for me was the battles. I didn't like the direction or CG of the battles even on release. And there are just too many of them and they just didn't capture me. Though the character and their acting remained great outside of the battles.

Still a really amazing accomplishment IMO.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Do you really think that I didn't know that LOTR came out before Witcher 3??? What point are you even making? LOTR fans are the most defensive bunch of people I've ever encountered. Calm down, you can still enjoy your movie.
im perfectly calm, just dont come in here acting like you were somehow the victim in the thread you created. You created a thread, with un-informed, ridiculous thoughts and opinions and got called out for it.

Has nothing to do with younger generation. The trilogy is boring. It wasn't that noticable back in the day as you only watched one movie but when watching all three right after another, it really shows. Especially the CGI fights really drag it down. Still, the beginning of the first movie will always be excellent.
the CGI holds up incredibly well, not really sure what you're talkinga bout. I literally just watched them on a 106" screen. If you think they're boring, i'm not sure what to tell you, maybe try harry potter? it was made for children afterall.

Didn't we just have this thread?

Yeah, about how it doesn't live up to the Witcher and GoT or something, hah
yes, he's in this thread, in fact quoted above, trying to pretend like he was the victim in the thread he created.