• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
im perfectly calm, just dont come in here acting like you were somehow the victim in the thread you created. You created a thread, with un-informed, ridiculous thoughts and opinions and got called out for it.
Obviously I disagree. I'm glad you feel very informed about those movies! More power to you! :)

Also for somebody uninformed with ridiculous opinions I sure guessed a lot from the third movie. Gandalf in the third movie is basically reading my posts out loud. It took him only 7 hours to realize how impossible their "plan" was.

Lucumo

Oct 25, 2017
the CGI holds up incredibly well, not really sure what you're talkinga bout. I literally just watched them on a 106" screen. If you think they're boring, i'm not sure what to tell you, maybe try harry potter? it was made for children afterall.
Not really. The CGI didn't impress me as a child/teenager back then and they certainly don't impress me now - it's just bland and boring. Not sure what Harry Potter has to do with LOTR.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Fellowship is still amazing, but in hindsight even in theaters I thought TT and ROTK had the beginnings of the same issues that the Hobbit movies had. It's just Jackson still had people then who pushed back.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I recently bought all three extended editions and re-watched them for the first time in many years. I think I had actually let peoples' discussions and criticisms taint my opinion of these movies over the years because, after each movie, I was blown away by how good they held up. Among the most powerful movies I've ever seen and the scale of the films and story are beyond most anything we see nowadays. So, to each their own but I definitely disagree with the OP.

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
Yes I do. It moved a lot better and had more engaging action sequences, which is arguably the most important aspect of any movie.
I enjoy action as much as the next person but I'd say LOTR's action scenes were far better. They also weren't plagued with over used CGI, "3D gimmicks" like things flying to the screen and characters being there who shouldn't have been doing stupid things (Legolas jumping on falling rocks and slicing necks whilst hanging from something).

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
pS20VRZ.gif

Even the fucking trees walked in those movies.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I love every second of them. They can meander all they like when they are as good as they are.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The thing that really makes The Hobbit better imo, is the fact that I cannot stand any of the hobbits especially Sam and Frodo. I hate them so much. Every part of the movie that they are involved in, ruins it for me.

LazyPanda

Oct 30, 2017
I mean they are based on a series of books that spend dozens upon dozens of pages on in-depth analysis of the hobbit society and habits, right from the beginning. The books themselves are drawn out and meandering.

Havinf said that, it's hard to find an opening more charming and endearing than Fellowship's.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen these movies in over a decade. Got them all on bluray back in december when amazon had a crazy deal. Listening to the audio book of Fellowship and liking it more than I ever liked the movies. Gonna watch each movie after I finish the book and see what modern-men thinks.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Having just read Fellowship of the Ring, and soon to continue into the other two parts of the Lord of the Rings book, I can say that the books themselves are also this way.

Look, it's not your style. It's true that people can think the movies are long, which they are. But, at least with having read the first part, the movie Fellowship of the Ring is pretty faithful to the source (except for, of course, the lack of a Tom Bombadil).

I really enjoyed what I have read, but the author spends a lot of time describing scenery during their travels. I think PJ did a pretty good job transforming what was written to the screen.

It has been a long time since I've seen the movies, but my guess is that, with having already known the story, and the incredible length of the movies, people might not feel as invested as they would watching it for the first time. They were also made in a time when movies were just different. Movies today are so spastic with their pacing and editing. I kind of relish the fact that I can return to a series of fantasy movies that have a more slow, deliberate pacing.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
I rewatched them recently (the extended, no less) and really only Two Towers suffered from a lack of forward momentum and fracturing the narrative among so many characters.

They're road films so a sort of meandering, episodic nature is to be expected, but I find Fellowship to be an extremely propulsive and well paced adventure film.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This was 1100 pages of books split into 3 movies.

Believe me. There's plenty MORE content that got cut.

Tom Bombadil etc.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Not really. The CGI didn't impress me as a child/teenager back then and they certainly don't impress me now
good for you, i guess? I've seen bad cgi and good cgi, and LOTR is definitely not in the former.

- it's just bland and boring. Not sure what Harry Potter has to do with LOTR.
you said the movies were boring, i was suggesting something more apt to your tastes.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Should have asked the eagles to take the ring to Mt. Doom. Then the Fellowship could have skipped everything.

Or a catapult.

T9CBQ.gif
Lol. I don't remember about in the movies, but in the book, Boromir (or someone else, I forget who) does propose to catapult the ring there, but they quickly shut it down because of lack of accuracy.

And to really take this aspect apart, it really does make sense not to just catapult or send eagles. Reason being, they have to deliver it and make sure it actually gets put in the fire because otherwise it will just appear years later when everyone thought it had been destroyed, thus causing trouble once again just because it slipped out of the damned bird's claw too soon or some other such inaccuracy.

You know, magical rings and all.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Lol. I don't remember about in the movies, but in the book, Boromir (or someone else, I forget who) does propose to catapult the ring there, but they quickly shut it down because of lack of accuracy.

And to really take this aspect apart, it really does make sense not to just catapult or send eagles. Reason being, they have to deliver it and make sure it actually gets put in the fire because otherwise it will just appear years later when everyone thought it had been destroyed, thus causing trouble once again just because it slipped out of the damned bird's claw too soon.

You know, magical rings and all.

Oh I am aware of all the reasons why the eagle plan wouldn't work. But if OP didn't like the trilogy, having the eagles do the job would cut the trilogy down to an hour and a half.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I am aware of all the reasons why the eagle plan wouldn't work. But if OP didn't like the trilogy, having the eagles do the job would cut the movies down to an hour and a half.
lol I suppose that's true. One and done.

And also, my post wasn't necessarily aimed at you, as I could tell yours was more of a joke, but people have proposed this idea seriously as a criticism of the story.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I remember liking Fellowship, being good with TT but man ROTK in the cinema....was a chore and everyone in the cinema you could see getting restless in the last 30min

duxstar

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that people in here are saying the cgi and special effects are not good blows my damn mind. This is like saying the shit in Jurassic Park was bad.

They made the first cgi character to ever feel really alive and won numerous accolades and awards for it and you call it bad ??

Gollum is still the best use of cgi I've ever seen, you could not possibly be more wrong

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be watching these movies again soon after I'm done reading the books and my recollection of The Fellowship of the Ring compared to what I've read of the book so far is that it's actually far less meandering than the book, and that they actually cut quite a bit of stuff out. Contrasted with the film adaptation of the Hobbit where they added a bunch of straight up bullshit, I'm actually looking forward to watching LOTR trilogy again.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
Obviously I disagree. I'm glad you feel very informed about those movies! More power to you! :)

Also for somebody uninformed with ridiculous opinions I sure guessed a lot from the third movie. Gandalf in the third movie is basically reading my posts out loud. It took him only 7 hours to realize how impossible their "plan" was.

Do you plan to start watching the extended Hobbit trilogy now that you're done with LOTR? I'm interested to see what you think of those.

Deleted member 11995

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I just read Fellowship. I don't have the book with me but I can try to find it later. It may not have been Boromir, but someone else at the council. I'm quite sure someone suggested it in the book while discussing what they are supposed to do.

Someone at the council of Elrond suggested using a catapult and firing the ring over the mountains, into Mordor, into Mount Doom?

You sure that you're sure about that?

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Someone at the council of Elrond suggested using a catapult and firing the ring over the mountains, into Mordor, into Mount Doom?

You sure that you're sure about that?
Quite sure, yes, unless I misinterpreted it. The answer to this proposal was that they were not sure it would just land somewhere near the mountain, and that would let the ring be close to Sauron and his minions to easily obtain.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
What's up with these negative LOTR threads? Are kids really growing up these days, not liking these movies? Are we really to a point where folks attention spans are that shitty that they view these movies as slow and meandering? Fuck me just have a meteor take us all out right now.

Deleted member 11995

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Quite sure, yes, unless I misinterpreted it. The answer to this proposal was that they were not sure it would just land somewhere near the mountain, and that would let the ring be close to Sauron and his minions to easily obtain.

Ok cool.

Quick question; just how damn high were you when you read that book? Like, was it a proper fat-ass blunt you had just smoked, you know one of those ones that's just a touch too much?

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Ok cool.

Quick question; just how damn high were you when you read that book? Like, was it a proper fat-ass blunt you had just smoked, you know one of those ones that's just a touch too much?
Eh? No need to criticize. I was in the right mind when reading. I can find the exact passage and see if I just misinterpreted the text.

Let me just ask: When was the last time you read the book? Also, which edition? There are small inconsistencies between the different prints. For reference I am reading the Harper Collins British print which is based on the 50th Anniversary corrections.

Last edited:

Real Hero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
marvel, new star wars, basically any major blockbuster wishes they could evoke the feelings and texture of the LOTR trilogy. LOTR sits along side all time film classics rather than forgettable action adventure movies that are forgotten after the year they release.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't disagree more. The pacing for the entire trilogy is perfect.

Now the Hobbit trilogy, THAT shit felt bloated and drawn-out.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
marvel, new star wars, basically any major blockbuster wishes they could evoke the feelings and texture of the LOTR trilogy. LOTR sits along side all time film classics rather than forgettable action adventure movies that are forgotten after the year they release.

This. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Marvel movies but to suggest that even a few of them will be remembered as classics is probably pushing it. To this day, the sheer level of emotion during the Ride of the Rohirrim is almost enough to bring me to tears (and that's just one of many moments I could point out).

Deleted member 11995

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I can totally understand if people think the LoTR movies drag a bit. They are long as fuck. But personally, I do think they're like proper, old-school epic filmmaking at it's finest, and probably the greatest fantasy films ever made.

Also, as a Middle Earth geek, watching them is so endlessly satisfying that I just can't find any criticism these days, even for the things I think they got wrong.

Oct 26, 2017
I feel that if you are not captured by the world of LOTR, you will not enjoy the movies. I don't like fantasy so I didn't particularly enjoy them, but I can still tell that they are well produced films.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
only the 1st one is likeable.

the 2nd one was a slog with its tripple play going nowhere, the 3rd one was like an extension of the 2nd but with multiple never ending endings

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do you plan to start watching the extended Hobbit trilogy now that you're done with LOTR? I'm interested to see what you think of those.
Nah. I didn't hate LOTR, but I realized that it's not my cup of tea. My biggest issue with the movies is that Sam is the only likable character as far as I'm concerned and he is treated the worst throughout the movies. I don't have confidence in Jackson to create characters that I like. In fact I should have been clearer upfront that the "movie" aspects of this trilogy are the reason why I just could not buy the story. I'm sure that Frodo is great in the book, but the way Jackson portrayed him made me REALLY hate that character. I'm still pissed that Sam didn't just push him with the ring into the lava. I would pay for that alternate ending! :) Just in general tonal shifts didn't work for me. I think I would have loved this trilogy if it just stayed more "whimsical" like the first half of the Fellowship. This is probably the reason why I liked the second movie the most. It's has more consistent tone.

Also it was a HUGE mistake to watch extended editions, but once I started I was committed.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The attention span of the average hotdog silo has shrunk significantly since the 90s.

The LOTR trilogy is a cinematic landmark.

Untouchable.