• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I'm going to try to not make this an overly fan-boyish Nintendo thread (dat thread title tho) but I'd like to just discuss the magic of Nintendo with you guys for a moment and share some of my memories from the various consoles.

For some reason I've been thinking about this a lot lately, just good memories of the past where I've had some of my best gaming moments. I've found that a lot of these moments always seem to revolve around Nintendo consoles.

A little backstory, I was born in the 90s so I pretty much missed out on the NES console and never had one. I would have probably also missed out on the Sega Mega Drive/SNES except that my older brother had a Mega Drive. I played this console almost exclusively and I loved it. I must have cleared Sonic the Hedgehog 1 50+ times.

Fast forward to the release of the Nintendo 64. I remember eagerly awaiting Christmas for months. I'd often see Banjo-Kazooie in my local Xtra-Vision (video/game renting store) and I'd state at the box art of it for such a long time. I remember my Mother asking me in a round-about way if I'd prefer Goldeneye or Mission Impossible (I think both were back in games so you could pick one or the other). I picked Goldeneye after some thought (I almost went for Mission Impossible).

That time was glorious. I poured hours upon hours into Goldeneye and Banjo-Kazooie. My father, who is not a gamer in the slightest, even played a bunch of Banjo-Kazooie too, he still talks about the bear with the bird on his back to this day.

I had other consoles around this time too, namely, a PS1. An oh-boy was I hooked on that too. In terms of singleplayer games I've definitely put more hours into my PS1 and there is a reason it's one of my favourite consoles of all time.

But this is where I want to talk about the magic of Nintendo which for some reason has the power to bring multiple people together to play games quite unlike other Companies and Consoles. Some of my greatest memories revolve around myself, my brother and my two cousins.

They often visited our house, at the very least once a week and sometimes more than that. They would bring their two Nintendo 64 controllers with them and we would play hours upon hours of Goldeneye. I couldn't tell you how much time was put into that game, it must be huge.

large.jpg

On top of that we would play Mario Kart 64 battle mode, WWF No Mercy and Mario Party. Mario Party was a bit rarer because I always insisted we would play the longest turns for the board (it had to be an epic adventure!) so the game would take us like 4 hours to do one board. So many fantastic memories of multiplayer on the Nintendo 64.

Fast forward to the launch of the Gamecube. I got both Super Smash Brothers Melee and Super Mario Sunshine with the console. Can you guess what my most played game on the console is? With the same two cousins and my brother, we poured hours into Super Smash Bros Melee. The minute they arrived in the door it was always "Melee?". I think the power on count for it is around 500 hours or so. We usually always did 1 v 1 v1 v 1 in Hyrule Castle with items. Sometimes we'd mix it up with 2 v 2 or 1 v 3 but the formula usually stayed the same.

During this time we also played some 007 Nightfire (and then a bit of From Russia with Love) on the Gamecube and while we put a lot of hours into it, it wasn't nearly the same as Goldeneye.

After the Gamecube, things got a bit quiet. We were all getting older and we kinda moved on a bit from Nintendo consoles. I did pick up a Wii and Super Smash Bros Brawl but I don't have any fond memories of playing much multiplayer in it. The same goes for the Wii as a whole. Also around this time my two cousins whom we played so many hours of video games, slowly grew away from video games.

Next up, we have the Wii-U. I bought this console on a whim because it was going dirt cheap a year after it's launch in an Argos near me (€199 including one game). I mainly stuck to single-player games on this until the next iteration of Smash came out, Super Smash Bros Wii U.

Around this time another cousin of mine who was a few years younger than me and my brother started hanging around us. We started playing a small few games of Melee while he was over and he got really, really into it. Then things got competitive and played more and more of it. A month or so later was when I picked up Smash Bros on the Wii U. The 3 of us played around 200 hours or so of Smash on the Wii U. Almost always 1 v 1 v 1 with no items and Omega stages. We've had so much fun with it and so many funny and fond moments. Moments of rage, moments of joy and just extremely funny moments. We would call over to us multiple times a week to play it and we all loved it and still play it to this very day.

Super-Smash-Bros-for-Wii-U-Best-Multiplayer-2014.jpg

And just the other day, I've created some new memories. This time with the Nintnedo Switch. I was at a BBQ with a group of my friends and our girlfriends. My friend who was hosting the BBQ asked me to bring my Switch along and some controllers which I did. I later found out he bought Pokken for his own Switch and decided we'd all play it, great! We had some good fun with it but the girls were kind of left out while we all played. That's when I decided to throw in Super Bomberman R and best of all, we had enough controllers for 8 people to play. It was absolute mayhem but we all had a blast with it, it was such a fun night. It makes me extremely excited for Smash on the Switch and hopefully many more good memories to come.

Whew. That was quite a long retrospective. I'd absolutely LOVE to hear any similar stories you guys might have.

My point of all this was, that every single person in these stories are people who generally had various consoles at the time (Xbox, PS2, etc. etc.) and while we did play some multiplayer games on those consoles, it was always the Nintendo consoles that really brought us all together and gave us some of the best memories.

There's just something about it.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
It's totally exceptional that I play multiplayer games on a non-Nintendo console. In the last years it's been exclusively Soul Calibur and the occasional FIFA match. I have three friends that play Nintendo games and we regularly meet up to play Mario Kart, Smash, Puyo Puyo Tetris. We could fit a Switch + dock in a suitcase when we went to Barcelona for the Zelda Symphony concert, and we took turns playing Doom at night in our hotel room. Try doing that with a PS4! And now there's Mario Tennis coming.

So yeah, I like games in general and I game on different platforms, but Nintendo will always scratch an itch that nobody else does. And local multiplayer is great.

Bartend3r

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. Nintendo is really something different and gives me my fondest memories of gaming life. The N64 was a real power in terms of multiplaying with friends.

Nowadays the Switch still gives me the chills. This year ia packed with good games but all I can think of is Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Da magic!

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Nice story :)

For me it has been like riding a roller coaster.

Down: I played on Commodore 64 during the NES era and the little I saw didn't impress me much, censor everywhere and weird controller (grew up with joysticks)

Up: But I loved the SNES and still have Super Metroid at #2 on my best game of all time list...

Down: I didn't like N64 though and it's over hyped 17fps Zelda OoT which I thought was nearly unplayable...

Up: GC was a lot better though and the Metroid Prime serie was in the top 10 that whole generation...

Up: In came the Wii and just blew me away, everything else seemed boring, for awhile...
Down: but eventually I just stopped using it...

Up: WiiU was better and when Switch came I actually had more games on WiiU than PS4 and XB1...

Up: Switch was awesome year 1, Mario Odyssey is my favorite platformer ever and Zelda BOTW took the #1 spot at my best game of all time list...
Down: But 2018 has so far been lackluster and after E3 it looks like it'll keep being like that at least until 2019.

The thing with Nintendo is that when they get it right they pretty much makes everyone else look like rookies. Like some other dev said about BOTW, he didn't get how the game was even made by humans. But they take so many chances so once in a while they mess up too and make people forget all the awesome things they've done.

Last edited:

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Mario Odyssey, SS and BotW drag the Nintendo magic down in recent releases for me as those are the main Nintendo franchises that carry the torch IMO, and I'm desperate for something better.

Odyssey is great though, as was BotW... But they seemed to have too much litter and not enough moments that wowed me in gameplay itself.

But yeah, it is still as if Nintendo is the only company that manages to give their games an aftertaste similar to all those excellent animation movies from Disney in the 90s.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The jump from 2D to 3D was both awkward and incredible, and games like Mario, Zelda and Star Fox pulled it off better than anyone could have expected.
N64 was the pinnacle and that kind of jump is never going to happen again until we're plugging ourselves into games to feel them for real.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The only time I was truly dazzled by the 'Magic of Nintendo' was the N64 and playing Mario, LoZ, and 4 player Goldeneye. 10/10 perfection when I was but a young boy first getting into gaming.

From there I got the GBA with Pokemanz and Advance Wars and FE. Now that was eye opening right there.

Gamecube and DS original were also fucking great. So many good games not named Sunshine came out on that purple cube. DS had AA and 999 and Advance Wars and FE.

I got the Wii and the Wii U but eh. What a fall from the Gamecube... 3DS was dope though.

Switch has that same feeling of the N64 and Gamecube. Finally!

Also Conker BFD. That is all.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really a 'fan' of Nintendo. I've rarely played their first party games as they just don't appeal to me.

Looking back in my past, definitely Pokemon Red/Blue stands out as a unique multiplayer experience though, one that I loved.

Grim Patron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
BOTW was peak magic imo.

But then you have Splatoon 2's intro that wastes your time with more "magic"

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure I would call Nintendo magic, they mess up like everyone else. The difference is that they cultivated their family friendly IPs and generally ship their games in better than average playable states most of the time.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Some of my fondest gaming memories are from playing Smash and Mario Party on N64 with my childhood friends. Something about the level of polish in their multiplayer titles stuck with me back then.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
I have no emotional attachment to the Nintendo brand stemming from my childhood even though my first console was the SNES, they made/make some fun games, that's pretty much it for me.

Tamath

Oct 31, 2017
Vienna, Austria
I have very fond memories of Nintendo couch multiplayer, including every (console) iteration of Mario Kart and Smash Bros., Goldeneye, TimeSplitters 2, Mario Party, the list goes on...

I wish I had friends to regularly play Nintendo games with... Since moving I never really met anyone with a passion for it. I've managed to coax some friends a couple of times to play some 4-player Switch (MK8D, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Overcooked) but nowhere near as often as I would like. It sort of mutes my enthusiasm for Super Mario Party and Smash Bros. Ultimate, but I guess it's on me to either be more assertive on having a game night or straight up finding some more friends... Although that's easier said than done.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Nintendo fans much like Disney fans tend to romanticize their IPs way more than they deserve. There is nothing more magical about smash bros versus a SOTC or a Halo.

They have some products that are good and some that are mediocre like any other company. Having a kid friendly art style does not mean something is magical.

I have no emotional attachment to the Nintendo brand stemming from my childhood even though my first console was the SNES, they made/make some fun games, that's pretty much it for me.

Pretty much where I stand.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I would call Nintendo magic, they mess up like everyone else. The difference is that they cultivated their family friendly IPs and generally ship their games in better than average playable states most of the time.

50% badass software development studio

50% nostalgia and bias

give or take

It's less nostalgia and more of the first post.

It's the ability to generate revenue and profit from other sources that make them confident about delaying games. We see other devs can't keep up. We see other devs stick to a formula and release yearly editions.

Even if you don't like their games, they take a lot of time to improve the gameplay, the thought behind decisions.

It works a lot of times and I'm glad.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has always understood that multiplayer gaming is all about creating moments or memories together. I think that it the magic you are talking about. It's why I love Nintendo.

But then there's is also magic in good storytelling. A great RPG is as good as, no, better than a good book. It's why I love Final Fantasy.

I'm not really someone in to online multiplayer, but I can understand that brings its own kind of magic.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's less nostalgia and more of the first post.

It's the ability to generate revenue and profit from other sources that make them confident about delaying games. We see other devs can't keep up. We see other devs stick to a formula and release yearly editions.

Even if you don't like their games, they take a lot of time to improve the gameplay, the thought behind decisions.

It works a lot of times and I'm glad.

What Nintendo has cultivated more than anything is a feeling of culture surrounding their consoles. What Nintendo actually offers is almost nothing compared to the feeling they set out to install in your head about what you owning one of their products is supposed to be like.

This is why I call Nintendo "The Apple of Gaming". They sell an image, an idea, a feeling. But it's more about the WAY they sell it to you, than it is about what you're actually BUYING from them.

"We're all about the games." -- Every gaming console is about games, and Nintendo consoles almost always have the narrowest selection.

"We don't focus on what doesn't matter." -- a vague statement, this almost doesn't even mean anything as we're talking about videogames where everything potentially matters. But this generally just means "whatever we aren't offering", which is probably why hardcore Nintendo fans are generally quick to push the "graphics vs gameplay" angle. But that's just my own observation.

"We focus on being close and playing with friends." -- Every console is heavily focused on playing with friends, and Nintendo is actually extremely late to this party as they've only VERY recently begun jumping on the netplay bandwagon that literally everyone else has been riding for well over a decade.

This isn't much different from what Apple does. When a new feature comes out, they focus less on the feature itself, and instead aim to sell you an image of just how much more advanced you're going to look by making use of it. They are far more exclusive with hardware/software and deliberately distance themselves from other manufacturers like LG or Samsung, who have no qualms about using more accessible technology. Apple doesn't bother trying to compete through a numbers game (who has better camera, processor, ect) because they know that it's easier to make people buy into a popular image instead.

It's a subtle difference but it has a HUGE effect, and I think this is why Nintendo is able to develop such a fiercely loyal fanbase with such strong emotional ties, despite the fact that, honestly speaking, you aren't ever really getting that much when you decide to spend your money on a Nintendo console. (Outside of their first party bangers, of course)

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Same. I had a NES and SNES but I just don't have an attachment to anything Nintendo. My emotional attachment comes from the PS1/DC era but it's all comes down to tastes.

SmashN'Grab

Oct 27, 2017
For me the 'Magic of Nintendo' is very much the opposite of what it is for you - I'm more enamoured with their single-player games such as Mario, Zelda and Metroid than the couch multiplayer stuff. I love the polish and imagination that goes into their titles. Growing up the game that made the deepest impressions on me were SMW, LttP and Super Metroid. Incredible titles and incredible memories.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's definitely something special about their best games. I got into gaming with NES and SNES as a kid, though Nitnendo hasn't been my main platform since early in the N64 generation as my tastes shifted more to western games, narrative-driven games, shooters with the Xbox and 360 and so on. But even in the generations since they always have a few games that end up among my favorite games of the generation—even the Wii as much as I disliked the hardware.

For me it's all the single player stuff though—Mario, Zelda and Metroid especially. I never did much local MP growing up, and only a brief stint of Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye and Tekken 3 (PS1) during the year I was in dorms in college.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think Nintendo has local MP on lock though.

No one else is close.

This is...sort of true?

But they don't have any kind of lock at all on Online multiplayer which is where all the modern magic is happening :(

And I say "sort of true" because unless you're playing Smash, most of the great competitive games of the last few years have skipped Nintendo entirely. And it doesn't get any more Local Multiplayer than a fighting game tournament.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I too enjoy playing multiplayer games with friends. The "with friends" is the magical part. Playing VF2 nonstop with friends on Sega Saturn every Saturday was great fun not "Sega magic" . Staying up all night with an out of town friend trying to beat uncharted for the first time swapping controllers every level was a lasting memory not "Sony magic" .

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I and many other people spent our youth playing Halo CE and Halo together in local multiplayer. I don't see that many posts about "Xbox magic". So I have to wonder how much of this supposed magic is just a result of marketing.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I too enjoy playing multiplayer games with friends. The "with friends" is the magical part. Playing VF2 nonstop with friends on Sega Saturn every Saturday was great fun not "Sega magic" . Staying up all night with an out of town friend trying to beat uncharted for the first time swapping controllers every level was a lasting memory not "Sony magic" .

I do agree with this sentiment. There is kind of a cultish following around Nintendo, much like Apple in some ways.

People act like Nintendo is a game studio or something rather than a publisher/platform holder. Sony and MS have fanboys too of course, but you don't hear them talk about how "Sony" or "Microsoft" make great games or have "magic." People actually talk about the studios and how Naughty Dog makes great games or Guerilla or Bungie when they were exclusive to MS and o on.

That makes more sense to me. I have zero loyalty to the platform holders and over various generations have mained consoles from all of them—NES, SNES, PS1, PS2, 360, PS4 have been my mains across my gaming history. I do have some loyalty/fond feelings toward various studios. With Nintendo it's just different as I couldn't even tell you which studio of theirs made most games I love. Occasionally I can tell you who produced it if it was a big name like Miyamoto, but that's about it.

It's just down to how Nintendo brands themselves and markets themselves. They're much closer to Apple in that sense of having a consistent imagine and trying to build a cult of loyal customers who buy the brand as much as the products.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
This is...sort of true?

But they don't have any kind of lock at all on Online multiplayer which is where all the modern magic is happening :(

And I say "sort of true" because unless you're playing Smash, most of the great competitive games of the last few years have skipped Nintendo entirely. And it doesn't get any more Local Multiplayer than a fighting game tournament.

No it's pretty true.

Playing online will never be able to replicate it for me.

Their online efforts are pretty weak which is a shame but it echoes their 3rd party woes. They have more to offer than just Smash. Even though Smash is the best :P.

Deleted member 16743

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me, Nintendo have the air of a development team (already a simplistic view I'm aware) who will make a game they believe is great to play. If we buy into it, like we have done with the many reinventions and de-inventions, then great! They have a well selling product! If we don't... well, they made a great game. "What do we want to make? Let's make that!"

Where-as the playstation was aggressively targeted (originally) at people who would spend money - and catered to that audience. "What will sell? Let's make that."

I no longer believe that as the management of Sony's first parties has been terrific this gen, but the studio closures have been awful. So... still undecided where I fall on that.

And the current version of Microsoft's Xbox Division that Phil Spencer is heading haven't had enough time to show their colours. The previous rein showed their's and we all thankfully hated it. I like what I'm seeing and hearing from Phil Spencer's juggernaught so far though, but a little reticent to "jump in" due to previous behaviour. Which leaves in the spot of wanting an Xbox One X... but never buying one. Perpetually in a state of internal conflict.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I do agree with this sentiment. There is kind of a cultish following around Nintendo, much like Apple in some ways.

People act like Nintendo is a game studio or something rather than a publisher/platform holder. Sony and MS have fanboys too of course, but you don't hear them talk about how "Sony" or "Microsoft" make great games or have "magic." People actually talk about the studios and how Naughty Dog makes great games or Guerilla or Bungie when they were exclusive to MS and o on.

That makes more sense to me. I have zero loyalty to the platform holders and over various generations have mained consoles from all of them—NES, SNES, PS1, PS2, 360, PS4 have been my mains across my gaming history. I do have some loyalty/fond feelings toward various studios. With Nintendo it's just different as I couldn't even tell you which studio of theirs made most games I love. Occasionally I can tell you who produced it if it was a big name like Miyamoto, but that's about it.

It's just down to how Nintendo brands themselves and markets themselves. They're much closer to Apple in that sense of having a consistent imagine and trying to build a cult of loyal customers who buy the brand as much as the products.

Purely anecdotal.

Depends on your own bias imo.

I have been bashed on here for saying Horizon wasn't all that, and I've seen people lose their shit when someone shits on BoTW. Or is someone doesn't think ND games aren't the pinnacle of gameplay purely because of their visuals and whatnot.

There is very much a "lol go play your kiddie games" attitude towards Nintendo, although, it's a lot more subtle than it used to be.

I don't buy into the whole Nintendo Magic thing though. But I do think there was a magic to games back in the day before the internet ruined any element of surprise or going into something completely fresh unless you had a magazine subscription.

Goonopher

Oct 27, 2017
Much like Disney, it's something I grew up with and something that my kids are growing up with. When I was young my siblings and I would play NES (used to play loads of Speccy with my dad before that and then later Mega Drive), as we got older, we got the SNES and played that loads too and then with friends, again with the N64 etc. Now I have a young family we play loads of Switch and Wii U before that.

I'm a PlayStation guy and have been since 1997 but I still get pulled back to Nintendo.

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo are no more inherently magical than any other games company. Makes me chuckle when people say this. The emotional attachment stems from the fact a lot of people played Nintendo games during their formative years and it shaped their gaming tastes and gave them their first glorious gaming memories. It's the experiences around and surrounding the games in many ways, not necessarily the games themselves.

For me, without a Nintendo system when I was young it was the magic of Sega (Master System, Megadrive, Sonic, Alex Kidd etc)

For my kids it will be the magic of Sony and PS4 or the magic of my shitty laptop and Roblox.

Nintendo's output is not, and I dont believe has ever been, more unquantifably 'magical' than anyone elses.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Splatoon 2's DLC is pure Magic.

Actually, everything about Splatoon 2 besides the Pack-In Story is good.

I don't even know what happened to that Story really. Probably a casualty of the quick turn-around.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Purely anecdotal.

Depends on your own bias imo.

I have been bashed on here for saying Horizon wasn't all that, and I've seen people lose their shit when someone shits on BoTW. Or is someone doesn't think ND games aren't the pinnacle of gameplay purely because of their visuals and whatnot.

There is very much a "lol go play your kiddie games" attitude towards Nintendo, although, it's a lot more subtle than it used to be.

I don't buy into the whole Nintendo Magic thing though. But I do think there was a magic to games back in the day before the internet ruined any element of surprise or going into something completely fresh unless you had a magazine subscription.

Like I said there are fanboys of all of them, and there's definitley backlash against Nintendo. Though a lot of it is backlash against Nintendo fans for being so hyperbolic (with threads like this one as an example), though there are plenty of examples of fanboys of the other two being terrible as well. A good current example is Sony fans defense forcing them blocking crossplay with Fortnite and other games.

But I agree it comes down to your own bias—in my case it's just bias against Nintendo fans. I love a lot of Nintendo games, but can't stand their fanboys more than the others for whatever reason and have a fuckton on ignore and will watch this thread to ID more to block. :D. My real bias is I just fucking LOATHE people with loyalty to corporations. It's not just gaming, just any product. I use Apple products (other than computers) and can't stand Apple's cultish fans. I think that's why the Nintendo fans rub me so much the wrong way— there just seems to be more of a monolithic cult of them like there is for Apple who just think there's something "special" or "magical" about that company itself where as the fanboys of the others are often more fanboys of the big games/franchises moreso rather than just Sony or MS overall (with exceptions of course).

In any case, whatever my bias is I end up with way more Nintendo fanboys on ignore on every site I've ever posted on in 20+ years on forums than any other company despite enjoying Nintendo and having owned every console and portable they've made sans Virtual Boy. *shrugs*

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Largely cartoonish, non-realistic games. Other posters mentioned the likes of Disney and Pixar earlier, and they're often compared to them for a reason.
I can think of plenty of great cartoonish, non-realistic games from non-Nintendo developers. Capcom has Monster Hunter and Street Fighter, Ubisoft has Rayman, etc.

As for the comparison with Disney: Both are companies that spend an enormous amount of time and effort on cultivating brand identity and loyalty. I don't see a comparison between the two as positive, because it's more about their shared approached to marketing than their quality.

This is all coming from someone who enjoys Nintendo games and Disney movies.

hypostatic

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I totally believe in the magic of Nintendo. I grew up in the 90s and the NES was my first console—the only non-Nintendo console I owned until the PS2 launch was a Genesis.

Any time I hear my younger relatives talk about video games (regardless of age), it's always about Call of Duty and usually on the Xbox. I don't think any of them have ever played a Nintendo game other than games like Wii Sports or Mario Kart.

I have my first kid on the way and I'm going to try my best to expose them to as much of the magic of Nintendo as possible. I hope the first games they ever play are on the NES and we can make our way through the generations from there.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
great thread

I don't know how they've kept it going for over 30 years but I'm here until it's clear they don't have it anymore

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I can think of plenty of great cartoonish, non-realistic games from non-Nintendo developers. Capcom has Monster Hunter and Street Fighter, Ubisoft has Rayman, etc.

As for the comparison with Disney: Both are companies that spend an enormous amount of time and effort on cultivating brand identity and loyalty. I don't see a comparison between the two as positive.
I mean, I guess your views on that largely match your user name, then, if you don't see it as a positive comparison.

As far as your examples, I wouldn't call Monster Hunter, a game where you slaughter giant dinosaurs and animals and then carve them up for meat and parts, at all like a Nintendo game in style. As for Street Fighter, there are some similarities I guess, but it doesn't play anything like what Nintendi outputs.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
NES got me into video games but SNEs was where the magic happened and I became addicted to video games. Didn't care to buy the GB but I played a neighbor's GB back in the day from time to time. DS and 3DS got me back into playing more portables again.

N64 era made me almost quit playing Nintendo games. Didn't care for Goldeneye or any of the other horrible FPS games and most other games were just blurry and ugly. The only game that I actively played with friends was Mario Kart 64 for the MP. A big group would take turns depending who lost. Was a fun time. In terms of SP, the best game was OoT. It was a game changer. The rest of the games were okay. GC era didn't help much and my library was also pretty small during that time. I spent more time on the other consoles.

Switch is a great lil system but I'm not not playing it that much atm.

Hammee

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
My childhood memories are similar. The first time I really got in to console games was as a little kid, maybe five or six, going over to my friend Steve's house to play NES. We spent countless hours playing Mario, Zelda, etc. I believe it was that year I was fortunate enough to get my very own NES for Christmas which solidified me as a gamer. I found out neighbors around me, besides Steve, also had the NES so I'd go over to their houses and play for hours on end. Made several childhood friends this way.

Of course I had a Gameboy too which helped me on long family trips. Most memorable for Gameboy is probably Tetris.

Before the SNES came out, I remember going to my buddy Chris' house and seeing his dad playing some new Mario game. Turns out he had a Super Famicom he had imported and was playing Super Mario World. What a mindblowing moment! SNES was also part of my childhood and the last Nintendo system I owned until the Wii, Wii U, 3DS, and Switch.

I'll tell you what. Nintendo is one of the few companies that has remained true to making video games that are fun and not interactive movies like so many games are nowadays. Give me a Mario game any day of the week over Last of Us or any other game like it. I want to have fun. I want to enjoy the game. I want to play the game.

Sylmaron

Oct 28, 2017
I wish I could have that enthusiasm but ultimately the Zelda games are the only ones that I really like.