• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
If this was made 20 years ago it would be probably the biggest console wars/flame wars/trolling moment in internet history:

github.com

GitHub - fgsfdsfgs/sm64-port at ps2

PS2, PS3, OG Xbox and DOS ports of sm64-port. Contribute to fgsfdsfgs/sm64-port development by creating an account on GitHub.

Super Mario 64 now is playable on PlayStation 2. It's far from perfect, as you can see on this video, but it's still absolutely impressive for me.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Is there a list of ports anywhere? I'd love to see this on the regular DS.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wait, a github repository with known stolen intellectual property?

EDIT: Assumed it was from the leaks, it is not. Glad to hear it!

Last edited:

J75

Sep 29, 2018
This is mind blowing. It's nuts how people can port stuff to the PS2 with no devkit. This source port of SM64 stomps on the official release of 3d world.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
There's also a MS-DOS version for Voodoo cards.

It will be the next Doom hahaha

J.Devesh

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Ok, I want it ported on everything now... Like PSP, PSVITA, NDS, 3DS, PS1, Game Cube... Everything!

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
if you listen real carefully, you can hear Nintendo executives screaming while tearing apart their walls.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Oh hey, that's me. Also I just broke my own record now that there's a new build that's much less nightmarish.
www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Ok, I want it ported on everything now... Like PSP, PSVITA, NDS, 3DS, PS1, Game Cube... Everything!
Ok we need a native vita version
PSP→https://github.com/z2442/sm64-port
Vita→https://github.com/bythos14/sm64-vita (best version)
3DS→https://github.com/sm64-port/sm64_3ds (with some stereoscopic 3d support)
NDS→https://www.amazon.com/Super-Mario-64-DS-Renewed-Nintendo/dp/B07VMBPLPV/
PS1→not happening
Dreamcast→maybe happening?

Last edited:

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Wow.

I might finally crack my Vita. That's amazing.
Just a note, the 60fps patch is prone to crashing hardcore on Vita.

But you should mod your vita for Mario 64, absolutely. The process of dumping Mario 64 is pretty long and complicated (easiest if you have a Wii U), but it's ultimately worth it for all the fun things you can do with it. And you can still buy Mario 64 on the Virtual Console, so there's still time to do this legitimately.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I thought all these ports were possible because of the leak?

No, these ports are possible because of the (legal) clean-room decompilation effort done by fans over many years that was finished a couple of months before the leaks happened. You still need to rip your own copy of Mario 64 for the assets, which aren't included.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I thought all these ports were possible because of the leak?
Nah.

It turns out that for one reason or another, the retail version of SM64 was not ran through automatic optimizer, but still written in something C-ish. This combination makes it relatively easy to get a lot of code properties back from what lies in the cart, though not all of it. The Mario 64 part of Nintendo gigaleak happened after this thing got public.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
And yet Nintendo still seems unable to run SM64 natively on current gen consoles without emulation.

huh

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
That's very impressive. I was honestly expecting a Dreamcast port to show up long before any PS2 attempt given that the hardware architecture is much more commonly understood and easier to work with, and a very robust DC homebrew community.

Just port it over to Sega Saturn or PS1 for shits and gigles

I think the PS1 flat out can't handle the game. The two main obstacles are 1: the 3D rendering not being able to handle large open polygon environments and 2: the CD format coupled with the memory limitations making it unfeasible to load/stream an entire level's worth of data, which was not an issue on cartridge. Only the later generation disc systems made enough of a leap to handle games with the same scope as N64.