• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
So here's a fun recent video I stumbled upon today, fun for a specific kind of person who likes getting dev insight into game and visual design anyway.

via the channel "Game Brain"

I'm actually just coming off my first replay of the TF2 campaign since 2016 and am still hugely impressed by its very to the point campaign.
This video of course focuses on the game's standout stage that has you jumping back and forth through two time periods, the mechanic used to find the correct path, avoid obstacles, gain platforms and of course, engage two different sets of enemies at the same time, the humans being wonderfully bamboozled by your character flitting in and out of their time space.

Getting to glimpse the early development stage really helps you appreciate the design work that goes into these games, the madmen having to build two versions of the same stage with wildly different visuals was as they put it "a black hole of resources" but it paid off well.
It's funny because alongside this TF2 replay I was going through Uncharted 4 for the first time and just couldn't help thinking (and even saying to myself out loud like the nutjob I am) about the staggering amount of work that goes into designing so many rooms, buildings, objects, visual flourishes that can be swiftly passed and/or completely missed. This one TF2 stage has that in spades thanks to the two time periods, almost wish I took more time to stop and smell the roses but alas it's TF2 and the movement is too fun and fluid for such things.

Gaining a few tidbits of insight into the overall creation of TF2's campaign like having the obvious advantage of TF1 laying a base first and leaving the team hungry to deliver a single player mode has me wondering if we could get something equally brilliant eventually spawn from Apex Legends own quirks and additions to the formula, until that day comes let us all take the time to remember that TF2 is very cool and formed one hell of a one two punch with the same years Doom to reinvigorate the (in my opinion) tired FPS campaign formula of the time.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This was an amazing concept for a level. The entire game is fantastic but this was definitely a high point

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Super cool look at the behind the scenes. I love videos like this. Especially for such a famous level.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
This is one of the 4-5 greatest moments of the generation for sure.

I also love that they had this really high-concept level and only used it for a short burst and not the whole game. Worked as an amazing stand-alone level that allowed it to be a nice change of pace in the middle of the game.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Few moments in gaming nail the power fantasy of Effect and Cause as you effortlessly hop through time and wreck the enemies. The escalation in the encounters and platforming with the time mechanic is also ace.

soul

Oct 27, 2017
I actually just finished that level a few days ago for the very first time, it's fantastic. Always had TF2 in my backlog and never booted it up, until I read a thread here on Era recommending it. Super impressed by TF2 SP.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
TF2 has one of the best FPS campaigns of all time, and this level was the absolute highlight of the campaign.

Masterclass of game design.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Easily the coolest level in First Person Shooters. It was amazing experiencing it for the first time.

OP
OP
Nocturnowl

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Few moments in gaming nail the power fantasy of Effect and Cause as you effortlessly hop through time and wreck the enemies. The escalation in the encounters and platforming with the time mechanic is also ace.
I love the reversal every now and then when you feel like you're some slick genius as you pop into the other time period for a flank only to first encounter the roaming monsters in said time period suddenly pounce on your face, that might be my favourite wrinkle to the concept.
Two gunfights for the price of one that puts a limiter on your ability to cheese the humans.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
"Press X to Time Travel" was such an amazing moment. Love this game dearly. I should replay it again sometime.