• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 12, 2017
How is baby Yoda lifting and hovering the beast off of the ground.. any less control than what Rey exhibited with the Force? Rey is also not a baby (a grown adult who has fended for herself since she was a child) and had a lesson on what the Force even is.
I told you.

Yodling's usage was raw and completely wiped it out. Rey was basically at mastery and control from TFA and we were off to the races.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I guess this series is on a tight budget because these episodes would be much more enjoyable and not feel truncated if they were a full hour.

I think the episodes are already very long with the story they are telling; for example we don't need to see the Mandalorian enter his ship, turn on every single thing on the dash, decide he's not coming back, and then see the entire process in reverse. One could only simply have used the part inside the ship. These episodes would work as half hour episodes, but the extra length lets them breathe.

I told you.

Yodling's usage was raw and completely wiped it out. Rey was basically at mastery and control from TFA and we were off to the races.

What are the differences between raw and mastery?

Because in both TFA and TLJ, Rey was very much raw. In fact, that's literally how Luke described her.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I told you.

..how was it at mastery when it took her three tries to even do the mind trick? There was no "mastery".

I would say holding something in place in the air is an impressive amount of control (that's massive and lunging for an attack, trying to shake free). More so than Rey ever accomplished physically in TFA, and even TLJ.
The real shit they pulled of came after training. Pretty sure Anakin wasn't force choking kids back on Tattoine.
Luke also force pulled his saber with the same amount of training Rey had in TFA, the same act that's apparently too unbelievable for Rey to have accomplished (while hanging upside down and almost passed out).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
The real shit they pulled of came after training. Pretty sure Anakin wasn't force choking kids or force pulling shit out the walls back on Tattoine.

No but Luke force pulled his lightsaber out the ground with a grand total of 5 seconds of instruction from Obi-wan back in ANH

He also managed to guide his shot straight into a 2 meter exhaust port moving at great speed in an Xwing with the masterful training of "Use the force Luke!" from a voice in his head

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
I have also never heard a single person complain about Anakin doing the absurd shit he does in the PT in the context of "he's too powerful!"

Why would anyone complain that Anakin is too powerful when the movies outright tell you that he's suppose to be powerful? He's "the chosen one". Virgin birth. Super high midichlorians count and all that goofy stuff. The movies hammer you over the head with the fact that Anakin is special and just some random dude.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Why would anyone complain that Anakin is too powerful when the movies outright tell you that he's suppose to be powerful? He's "the chosen one". Virgin birth. Super high midichlorians count and all that goofy stuff. The movie hammers you over the head with the fact that Anakin is special and just some random dude.
Yoda is almost as powerful in terms of potential, yet he is basically nameless and without any sort of background. Why can Anakin be so powerful without any explanation but Rey cannot? How do we know Rey's Force Dick is not as big or even bigger than his?

Yoda even tells us that the prophecy may have been misread, indicating that he might not be the chosen one. It's debatable in the films themselves who it ended up being in the OT (death of the author).

The ST stands as more evidence that he's either not the chosen one or the prophecy is bullshit, considering Vader's name/memory lived on through Kylo Ren and the empire became the FO.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Was could do it because (aside from the supposed mind melding or some shit) because she's a... "true believer" whose mind was open. Force Projected Luke inspired people to believe, unlike Luke or Anakin who were seen as too old and why Jedi preferred training as young as possible because cynicism, doubt and life experiences in general jading people and making it harder to accept and all that stuff starts to take over the older you get. Both Luke and especially Anakin used the Force passively for years before their training.

Dec 12, 2017
..how was it at mastery when it took her three tries to even do the mind trick? There was no "mastery".
I said once did a thing, she was then at mastery. Meaning, force pulls became basic work for her after that. Force Piloting, Force levitation, Force Skype, you name it. It is my assumption now that Rey knows all things the force. Ok, cool.

I would say holding something in place in the air is an impressive amount of control. More so than Rey ever accomplished physically in TFA.
Not when it completely wipes you out to do it.

Luke also force pulled his saber with the same amount of training Rey had in TFA, the same act that's apparently too unbelievable for Rey to have accomplished (while hanging upside down and almost passed out).
No but Luke force pulled his lightsaber out the ground with a grand total of 5 seconds of instruction from Obi-wan back in ANH

He also managed to guide his shot straight into a 2 meter exhaust port moving at great speed in an Xwing with the masterful training of "Use the force Luke!" from a voice in his head
IIRC, in the old EU, between ANH and ESB, Luke communed with the Force but that is actually irrelevant. Who cares.

The point is, (for my tastes) the hero having one thing they start off with, fine. Anakin had twitch reflexes, so did Luke. Yodling is a 1 trick pony to so far.

Where it becomes eye rolling for me is when our hero effectively becomes Superman (another character i have MAJOR problems with; Neo from the Matrix as well) and just has all the superpower gifts. Weeeeeeee!

Oct 25, 2017
Yep all this

Luke and Anakin both pulled some mind numbing bullshit with the force with little to no training and no one has an issue
What bullshit exactly did Luke pull while untrained?
Luke flew(which he was already trained at with his T-16) and used the force to make a hard shot with guidance from Obi-Wan.
he then gets captured by a Wampa, gets shot down in a snowspeeder and is finally owned when he actually fights Vader and loses a hand(and would be dead if he wasn't Vader's son).

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Yoda is almost as powerful in terms of potential, yet he is basically nameless and without any sort of background. Why can Anakin be so powerful without any explanation but Rey cannot? How do we know Rey's Force Dick is not as big or even bigger than his?

The fuck are you even talking about?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I said once did a thing, she was then at mastery. Meaning, force pulls became basic work for her after that. Force Piloting, Force levitation, Force Skype, you name it. It is my assumption now that Rey knows all things the force. Ok, cool.

Not when it completely wipes you out to do it.

IIRC, in the old EU, between ANH and ESB, Luke communed with the Force but that is actually irrelevant. Who cares.

The point is, (for my tastes) the hero having one thing they start off with, fine. Anakin had twitch reflexes, so did Luke. Yodling is a 1 trick pony to so far.

Where it becomes eye rolling for me is when our hero effectively becomes Superman (another character i have MAJOR problems with; Neo from the Matrix as well) and just has all the superpower gifts. Weeeeeeee!
None of those things shown exhibit any sort of mastery. The "Force Skype" wasn't because of a mastery, it's because of Snoke, the film tells you this outright. She had no control over it.

What does that have to do with control. Luke passed out at the end of his projection, clearly he had control. It's just draining.

Just because Rey does more things than Luke did in ANH doesn't mean mastery, by any stretch of the imagination. She is clearly more capable than whiny ass Luke during this time and in TLJ.
The fuck are you even talking about?
Midichlorians. I was joking around because of their absurdity. It's a measuring contest, and Anakin has the most, followed by Yoda. How do we know Rey doesn't have a similar or even higher count than Anakin?

Oct 28, 2017
That's.. my point. If Rey were a man, "Rey is a Gary Stu" simply wouldn't exist. If baby Yoda looked feminine and it was clear the baby were a girl, you'd have an uproar over it, there's no question.

The idea that a baby that's the same species as Yoda can freeze and move a massive beast literally in the cradle is far more unbelievable than Rey simply being really attuned to the Force/capable in TFA (having known literally nothing about her).

It's really that simple. I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to suspend disbelief for baby Yoda. I'm saying there's absolutely no reason why people shouldn't have been able to do the same thing in TFA without jumping to some Rey is a Mary Sue sexist bullshit.

Plus, the prequels have already established that humans can be more powerful than whatever species Yoda is. Therefore humans should technically be capable of pulling off the feat baby Yoda pulled from the cradle, even.
Yoda wasn't even more powerful than Anakin, so there's in-canon precedent for humans being more attuned than whatever species Yoda is. There's literally nothing in-canon that the Yoda species is just more connected with the the force. What a disingenuous argument that other dude is peddling

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yoda wasn't more powerful than Anakin, so there's in-canon precedent for humans being more attuned than whatever species Yoda is. There's literally nothing in-canon that the Yoda species is just more connected with the the force. What a disingenuous argument that other dude is peddling
It's baseless. Not impossible, as something like that could become canon of course, but completely baseless thus far.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
I'm a little weirded out that people are still claiming Mary Sue isn't based in Misogyny.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Episode was fun, but I wish the show had an actual hour. Cara's a great addition and was really badass.

She also defended Baby Yoda, which is something that makes her even dearer to my heart.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Screenshot_20191130-184433_Instagram.jpg

Wowowowowowowowo

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I think the episodes are already very long with the story they are telling; for example we don't need to see the Mandalorian enter his ship, turn on every single thing on the dash, decide he's not coming back, and then see the entire process in reverse. One could only simply have used the part inside the ship. These episodes would work as half hour episodes, but the extra length lets them breathe
i disagree greatly.

I find the episodes like the last one frustrating because they attempt to introduce multiple characters and get the audience to buy partially into a possible relationship for Mando. Oh and train some farmers to be ready to fight armed raiders. Sorry but all of that needed a lot more time to simmer as many have already discussed the problem with brevity here throughout the thread. On this very page, even.

I also find your characterization of Mando making a decision then changing his mind and deciding to help the farmers to be disingenuous at best. Like, that was one of the more consequential moments in the entire episode and it reinforced his priorities while finding an excuse to let him stay and help, both building and further cementing his goals and values for us in the audience. Imagine thinking that exchange was a waste of your time.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Midichlorians. I was joking around because of their absurdity. It's a measuring contest, and Anakin has the most, followed by Yoda. How do we know Rey doesn't have a similar or even higher count than Anakin?

We don't know. And that's probably the problem. Midichlorians were basically Lucas's lazy ass way to explain to the audience why Anakin is so strong in the force and just how strong he is. I'd agree that Midichlorians are stupid but that was his attempt at trying to explain Anakin's power.

Dec 12, 2017
None of those things shown exhibit any sort of mastery. The "Force Skype" wasn't because of a mastery, it's because of Snoke, the film tells you this outright. She had no control over it.
Coming out of TFA, i felt like Rey can probably do anything with her powers. Coming out of TLJ, that was confirmed (just like I felt with Neo at the close of Reloaded). I feel the same way now as I did then. "Cool, let's see how they wrap this up." That's because i don't really see the stakes anymore. The Jedi journey ended in TLJ in terms of mastery.

By comparison, going into ROTJ, we didn't know what Luke would become, especially after that ass beating he took.<shrugs>

With Rey, anything she does as a Force User from this point, I just expect it to happen.

What does that have to do with control. Luke passed out at the end of his projection, clearly he had control. It's just draining.
I concede this point.

Just because Rey does more things than Luke did in ANH doesn't mean mastery, by any stretch of the imagination. She is clearly more capable than whiny ass Luke during this time and in TLJ.
I have no idea why you are clapping at Luke here. Do you dislike Luke?

What does he have to do with what i have maintained this entire day. It started off with me saying i didn't want my hero protag to feel like the finished product so soon after we meet them. That got praise.
I extend that to Rey and i get boos.

Last edited:

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
We don't know. And that's probably the problem. Midichlorians were basically Lucas's lazy ass way to explain to the audience why Anakin is so strong in the force and just how strong he is. I'd agree that Midichlorians are stupid but that was his attempt at trying to explain Anakin's power.
The funny thing is

You don't actually need to explain his power. His actions and feats should speak for themselves. You also don't need him to be Space Jesus. We literally got an "over 9000" moment in SW lol, absolutely terrible

Invictus

Oct 25, 2017
Good episode but the weakest so far.
Reminded me off that episode of Star Trek enterprise where the miners are being bullied by Klingons that keep coming back and Tpol teaches them that silly martial arts duck and roll. Or the Rodin hood men in tights stick maneuver.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Episode 4 was pretty trash. The only thing keeping me going is seeing baby Yoda do his thing. The characters just aren't doing it for me I guess. I feel like nothing too crazy plot wise happens between each episode, they really could've released this all at once. The Armor is A1 outside of people loving to punch is helmet lol.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
What did Anakin's mom say about his dad? Does he know he's space jesus?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Coming out of TFA, i felt like Rey can probably do anything with her powers. Coming out of TLJ, that was confirmed (just like I felt with Neo at the close of Reloaded). I feel the same way now as I did then. "Cool, let's see how they wrap this up." That's because i don't really see the stakes anymore. The Jedi journey ended in TLJ in terms of mastery.

By comparison, going into ROTJ, we didn't know what Luke would become, especially after that ass beating he took.<shrugs>

With Rey, anything she does as a Force User from this point, I just expect it to happen.

I concede this point.

I have no idea why you are clapping at Luke here. Do you dislike Luke?

What does he have to do with what i have maintained this entire day. It started off with me saying i didn't want my hero to feel like the finished product so soon after we meet them. That got praise.
I extend that to Rey and i get boos.
This is a baseless and absurd assumption though, I'm not quite sure why you think she has mastered anything. I understand not feeling like there were stakes. But that's a separate issue from "Rey is too powerful", which has always been a dumb talking point and whether intentional or not, an alignment with "Rey is a Mary Sue".

Lol? My comment about him being whiny was a jab at how sheltered and how normal of a life he had lived compared to Rey, who had no one to take care of her and had no reason to feel bad about just how hard she's got it. Luke is great, I love his character. This is a weirdly defensive response.

The reason why we are here is because your argument still amounts to "Rey is a Mary Sue", whether that's your intention or not. Which is a very bad and tired argument.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is

You don't actually need to explain his power. His actions and feats should speak for themselves. You also don't need him to be Space Jesus. We literally got an "over 9000" moment in SW lol, absolutely terrible

I agree but that's what we got. Nothing we can do now but blame Lucas for writing that shit.

Oct 27, 2017
What bullshit exactly did Luke pull while untrained?
Luke flew(which he was already trained at with his T-16) and used the force to make a hard shot with guidance from Obi-Wan.
he then gets captured by a Wampa, gets shot down in a snowspeeder and is finally owned when he actually fights Vader and loses a hand(and would be dead if he wasn't Vader's son).

Perfectly deflecting 3 consecutive rapid shots from the remote completely blind because Obi-Wan said "reach out with your feelings"

Obi-wan's "guidance" with the death star amounted to his disembodied voice saying "use the force"

Force pulling his lightsaber (which he didn't even know was possible) to him without any guidance or instruction on how to do so

Its definitely irrelevant as that's now non canon. Which then brings us back to how did Luke - with no instruction or training on how to do so - perform a technique he didn't even know existed and had never seen or heard done and pull his lightsaber too him while freezing, upside down and dazed?

As I explained Luke had a little more than twitch reflexes but sure, Rey shows a greater variety of use with the force than Luke, and if you dislike that its your opinion and that's okay

But lets not pretend there isn't a precedent for what she's doing through Luke and lil green

The obvious answer is the one Obi-wan gave in ANH

They're not just "doing" these things its the force doing it through them, flowing through them

Luke: you mean it controls your actions?
Obi: partially, but it also obeys your commands

In response to necessity and due to their natural connection to the force, Luke, Anakin, Rey and Yodel's actions are letting the force flow through them and the force is answering their call for help and guiding their actions

Dec 12, 2017
This is a baseless and absurd assumption though, I'm not quite sure why you think she has mastered anything. I understand not feeling like there were stakes. But that's a separate issue from "Rey is too powerful", which has always been a dumb talking point and whether intentional or not, an alignment with "Rey is a Mary Sue".
I felt like she had unlocked everything, much like Neo could "see" the Matrix at the end and could fucking fly. I was like, welp, I guess he is all leveled up now. That got even MORE absurd in Reloaded when he not only took on 100 Agent Smiths but also saved Morpheus and the Keymaker off and exploding truck.

Everything i saw in TLJ concerning Rey's force powers confirmed how I felt about Neo. Same feelings.

Lol? My comment about him being whiny was a jab at how sheltered and how normal of a life he had lived compared to Rey, who had no one to take care of her and had no reason to feel bad about just how hard she's got it. Luke is great, I love his character. This is a weirdly defensive response.
I just didn't understand it. It was weird and outta left field.

The reason why we are here is because your argument still amounts to "Rey is a Mary Sue", whether that's your intention or not. Which is a very bad and tired argument.
It's an oversimplification of my issue and a means of putting in a neat little box of Rey hatred.

Neo is a Marty Stu. Clark Kent is a Marty Stu. I have issues with both for the EXACT same reasons.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I felt like she had unlocked everything, much like Neo could "see" the Matrix at the end and could fucking fly. I was like, welp, I guess he is all leveled up now. That got even MORE absurd in Reloaded when he not only took on 100 Agent Smiths but also saved Morpheus and the Keymaker off and exploding truck.

Everything i saw in TLJ concerning Rey's force powers confirmed how I felt about Neo. Same feelings.

I just didn't understand it. It was weird and outta left field.

It's an oversimplification of my issue and a means of putting in a neat little box of Rey hatred.

Neo is a Marty Stu. Clark Kent is a Marty Stu. I have issues with both for the EXACT same reasons.
Well, to each their own, but I'm not quite sure why you feel like she's "unlocked everything". She couldn't even read her force vision right and mistakenly thought it meant Kylo would turn if she came to him. She didn't master beating literal red shirts, and needed a lot of help from Kylo to do it, once she got completely bailed out after Snoke had her captured/tortured her.

I like Luke. He's a whiny little kid in ANH. There's nothing wrong with that, it adds to his personality and character.

I'm not saying you hate her. I'm saying your views align with Mary Sue talking points.. not the best company to have, even if you're well meaning.

We're gunna have to agree to disagree here.

Dec 12, 2017
Well, to each their own, but I'm not quite sure why you feel like she's "unlocked everything". She couldn't even read her force vision right and mistakenly thought it meant Kylo would turn if she came to him. She didn't master beating literal red shirts, and needed a lot of help from Kylo to do it, once she got completely bailed out once Snoke had her captured/tortured her.

I like Luke. He's a whiny little kid in ANH. There's nothing wrong with that, it adds to his personality and character.

I'm not saying you hate her. I'm saying your views align with Mary Sue talking points.. not the best company to have, even if you're well meaning.

We're gunna have to agree to disagree here.
🤝

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Such a good episode, even if I found the end fight disappointing.

Baby Yoda still stealing the show

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i disagree greatly.

I find the episodes like the last one frustrating because they attempt to introduce multiple characters and get the audience to buy partially into a possible relationship for Mando. Oh and train some farmers to be ready to fight armed raiders. Sorry but all of that needed a lot more time to simmer as many have already discussed the problem with brevity here throughout the thread. On this very page, even.

I also find your characterization of Mando making a decision then changing his mind and deciding to help the farmers to be disingenuous at best. Like, that was one of the more consequential moments in the entire episode and it reinforced his priorities while finding an excuse to let him stay and help, both building and further cementing his goals and values for us in the audience. Imagine thinking that exchange was a waste of your time.

I wasn't saying the scene should have been cut, but to deliver that storytelling, you only need a fraction of what you gave the viewer. There was padding used in that scene, which is understandable because it's a TV show and it needs to deliver a set amount of time. You don't get an AT-ST, the horn creature, or the entire Sandcrawler without doing something like that on a TV budget.

I don't see what else we needed from the town. We spent a lot of time in there already, we even got multiple named secondary background characters.

Jun 23, 2019
Just watched the new episode and I liked it! When he was explaining his helmet, did he basically confirm he's not a native Mandolorian?

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
So what was that woman's name ? why they did not use a remote bomb to destroy the AT-ST directly ? did they really trained the villagers in a single day ?

The writing is this show is really not good. And another poorly directed action scene (lol at the AT-ST not shooting at the villagers 5 meters in front him)

edit : oh and Mando removing his helmet in front of the entire village wtf ?

Status
Not open for further replies.