• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
tenor.gif
How do you use that gif instead of Mando's flame thrower?

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Episode 4, especially the beginning with the villagers going about their business and then getting ambushed by an enemy, gave me some hardcore Stargate: SG-1 vibes. Costuming, general scenario, and action felt very similar to many SG-1 planets and aesthetic.

This is a good thing. The rest of the episode is more polished than SG-1 ever was, but that intro really gave me some nostalgic planet hopping sci-fi vibes.

Last edited:

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Weakest episode of the bunch, but overall I've been enjoying the series so far.

I just hope they beef up the supporting cast. The two main characters are a faceless guy with little dialogue and a baby that doesn't talk, there's only so much mileage they can get out of that. And we know that both of them have plot armor, so it makes these battle sequences feel like they have such low stakes when there's no one else to really care about or put in peril. If half of the villagers got wiped out in this episode, would anyone even give a shit? We had just met them 15 minutes before.

Cara Dune is a good start but I want more.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
Give the guy that does the soundtrack and audio for this a raise. Damn been a while since the audio of anything has got me pumped.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, the writing is really bad.

Did Favreau originally write this to be a video game? Each episode is basically an RPG side quest, complete with NPC dialogue.

Thank goodness for Yodel.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Though perhaps not as strong as some of the other episodes, I personally still loved it overall. Sure if was a bit on the nose and corny in places, but it was still thoroughly entertaining and charming. It gave me a Seven Samurai, Classic Western vibe.

I thought Cara Dune was a bad ass and loved their fight, along with the training, build up, planning, infiltration and stand off, and just the general cinematography and shortfire adventure feel of it all.

Baby Yoda also continues to be unbelievably adorable, and there was more bitsize titbits of lore/back story here and there too.

Overall this show continues to be amazing.

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
Cool episode. I like the idea that random gangs are using leftover/ abandoned Empire equipment thats laying around.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
That episode was kind of bad

Villagers acting and dialogue was bad, the AT-ST was so obviously ripping off Jurassic Park. The widow love interest was incredibly forced. The episode's way too short to feel any long passage of time. The best part of it is baby Yoda.

Probably doesn't it help that I watched The Irishman last night

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Weakest episode by far, but the series has been surprisingly good. I'm very worried about Gina Carano. Her performance was quite bad and she lacked charisma.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't see how they ever give this baby a name. There's to much buildup now. I've had a cat for ten years I never named and yet if I were Mando you sure as heck bet I would've named my Yoda son by now. It's just cruel not to. But you have to guess Mando doesn't know about Yoda or his nonexistent race's naming conventions so the guy is gonna be named Jeff or Fred or something without a Y.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Guess I'll never align with people on this show because I thought ep. 4 was the best so far, lol. Some wonky camera movements during the fighting aside.

Really made me want to rewatch Seven Samurai.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how they ever give this baby a name. There's to much buildup now. I've had a cat for ten years I never named and yet if I were Mando you sure as heck bet I would've named my Yoda son by now. It's just cruel not to. But you have to guess Mando doesn't know about Yoda or his nonexistent race's naming conventions so the guy is gonna be named Jeff or Fred or something without a Y.
Mando doesn't have a name either. It's part of the show's vibe.

(By which I mean, they rarely mention names, and the main cast coincidentally never has their name uttered onscreen.)

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
Still waiting for some depth to this show. The characters are pretty shallow, as is what there is of a plot. The only lasting relationship during the four episodes are between a faceless protagonist and a character that is too young to properly communicate.

That said, I enjoy the fan service the show provides. This show drips with Star Wars. Which is a good thing, because if it was a random space armor dude and random alien kid on generic sci-fi show, I doubt anyone would care.

Oct 25, 2017
Cool episode. I like the idea that random gangs are using leftover/ abandoned Empire equipment thats laying around.
Its an element I like in Star Wars, just like Clone Wars stuff lingering around into the Civil War era.

Would be cool if we eventually saw something like Rex's AT-TE by some other faction or made into a home.
latest

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Guess I'll never align with people on this show because I thought ep. 4 was the best so far, lol. Some wonky camera movements during the fighting aside.

Really made me want to rewatch Seven Samurai.
I don't know if I liked it any better or worse than the previous episodes but it was definitely refreshing to see a very different side of the Star Wars galaxy than the repetition of material from the films in the first three. Not saying the first three were bad but they were a known quantity.

The farmer's slow transport with the lantern was Miyazaki-esque.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Still waiting for some depth to this show. The characters are pretty shallow, as is what there is of a plot. The only lasting relationship during the four episodes are between a faceless protagonist and a character that is too young to properly communicate.

That said, I enjoy the fan service the show provides. This show drips with Star Wars. Which is a good thing, because if it was a random space armor dude and random alien kid on generic sci-fi show, I doubt anyone would care.

I agree with the bolded.

This episode in particular would've been greatly served by A longer run time. Do we even get the names of any of the villagers? Not even a scene where the " widow"tells you anything about her history or even her name?

I appreciate the homage to the seven samurai of course, but that was a very long film that took a lot of time with the interactions with samurai+ the villagers so it really made you care about them all very deeply.

But I really am appreciating what theyre trying to go for with this show. I'm hoping they listen to the Feedback and make it a little bit "deeper"
for the second season… At the same time I realize it is Star Wars and it's on Disney+ so they are really catering to a really wide audience so I can only expect so much. But I am constantly eager to see where the show goes because it is pure Star Wars, which means ill constantly keep watching.

Also no such thing as too much baby Yoda, within four episodes he's already one of the most lovable, iconic, instantly recognizable creatures in Star Wars. So show him as much as you want lol

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am i only one who get irritated by Mando is still using his old right leg thigh plate. Instead of having a nice shiny Beskar one. Like his left leg.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The widow and Cara Dune asking him about taking off his helmet almost felt like a euphemism here

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
This show is my fav Star Wars material since the OT.

I loved that baby Yody scene in the begining when it kept touching the controls. That was funny and insanely cute at the same time. I love the juxtaposition of insanely cute and shoot em up action in this show. It's just fun. I dont need any real depth TBH. I just want more of what's been shown.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
People saying this felt like a Xena episode hit it right on the mark. I don't think that's bad thing at all though!

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
This felt like a Stargate sg1 ep a bit, but I liked it a bunch. More than ep 3

Episode 4, especially the beginning with the villagers going about their business and then getting ambushed by an enemy, gave me some hardcore Stargate: SG-1 vibes. Costuming, general scenario, and action felt very similar to many SG-1 planets and aesthetic.

This is a good thing. The rest of the episode is more polished than SG-1 ever was, but that intro really gave me some nostalgic planet hopping sci-fi vibes.

Guess I wasn't alone!

Yeah, this formula is fun, was cool to see it in play for a bit.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little weirded out that people are still claiming Mary Sue isn't based in Misogyny.
All I know is that I personally have some issues with Rey, meanwhile Ahsoka and Sabine are 2 of my top 3 characters.
Though I also never really liked Luke compared to Han until I got older and hated Anakin until Clone Wars.
Even Ezra didn't win me over until season 3/4

My issue might just be with chosen one Jedi protagonists in general.

Last edited:

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's fine for people to have problems with Rey without claiming they're "misogynistic" or whatever. Ahsoka is super popular in the modern canon and she too is a woman. Ezra by comparison was super unlikable despite being a man, and many still never really liked him (I'm among those).

Rey's biggest issue is that she never had a mentor figure like both of these other characters, as well as Luke, so we are just supposed to accept she's naturally gifted and great at everything she does. That -is- weird and I don't think it comes from a misogynistic place for many people (even if there are obviously just a lot of anti-woman people who don't like her as well). They're just going retroactively give it some rationale in the new movie by making her related to Luke or Palpatine or Kenobi or something to say THAT is why she was so naturally gifted, but it's still kind of a cop out.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I think it's fine for people to have problems with Rey without claiming they're "misogynistic" or whatever. Ahsoka is super popular in the modern canon and she too is a woman. Ezra by comparison was super unlikable despite being a man, and many still never really liked him (I'm among those).

Rey's biggest issue is that she never had a mentor figure like both of these other characters, as well as Luke, so we are just supposed to accept she's naturally gifted and great at everything she does. That -is- weird and I don't think it comes from a misogynistic place for many people (even if there are obviously just a lot of anti-woman people who don't like her as well). They're just going retroactively give it some rationale in the new movie by making her related to Luke or Palpatine or Kenobi or something to say THAT is why she was so naturally gifted, but it's still kind of a cop out.

Remember when everyone called Ezra an Aladdin ripoff in Season 1?

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't get over how manipulative Yodel feels every time I see him. Like it was designed in a lab for content, memes, cuteness, internet phenom, etc.

Crazy how fucking cute it is and how it puts a smile on my face every time.

Deleted member 3758

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying the hell out of the series.

Looking back at the last four episodes, there's no B-story or really any story other than the Mando's. The structure of the show so far has been a 30 minute a week Mandalorian ride along.

This last episode just made me question whether there was enough substance to for the Mando to carry the episode.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
This is the weakest episode so far and it really feels like it could have been improved with a longer run time.

Still, I was entertained at least.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Episode four was basically seven samurai in 30 minutes

The show is fine, apart from being set in the star wars universe and baby yoda it's not that great personally. The cinematography and sfx are great but the story and way things play out are kinda by the numbers.

Rehynn

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
This is the first time I've felt Disney is mismanaging Star Wars. There's plenty of potential in the series and considerable talent involved, and then they let Favreu write and whoever directed this episode direct.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think they are overplaying baby yoda. It was fine in ep 1 and 2. But now it just feels like it clashes with the tone of the show? Or at least the usual disney humor here is a bit too much(well it was awlays too much in live action)
Basically I just wish the tone was consistent as it was in ep 1 and wanted a bit more drama with Mandalorian. Like its a good show, but it feels its afraid to fully commit to the western/bounty hunting with tragic backstory main character. And despite cgi being overall okay, ep 4 felt really tv show like in its scale and production

Status
Not open for further replies.