• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If that guy at the end would have been Boba Fett they would have show it and end it there so Star Wars nerds go crazy and ramp up hype for the next episode. Not showing who this person is make people speculate that is Boba Fett only to be shown next week that it is not.
That's how TV shows work.
Maybe he'll keep showing up like this for a couple episodes, then BAM!

The Leewit

Oct 27, 2017
Tattooine, speeders, dewbacks, and bargaining Tusken Raiders...and toss in a crusty starship mother-mechanic, a wayward bounty hunter neophyte, and a deadly assassin bounty. Someone somewhere is drinking to a heady tale of betrayal. And Baby Yoda too. Great episode.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Why did they kill Ming Na's character? I was more interested in her backstory then I was in the plot. That bounty hunter dude ruined the episode for me. I didn't hate it, but he brought what could've been a "good" episode down to just an "okay" episode. And yeah it feels like there was no substance to this episode. It was lame altogether.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Why did they kill Ming Na's character? I was more interested in her backstory then I was in the plot. That bounty hunter dude ruined the episode for me. I didn't hate it, but he brought what could've been a "good" episode down to just an "okay" episode. And yeah it feels like there was no substance to this episode. It was lame altogether.
Who cares about her? Who cares about the in-universe dialog the bounty hunter used?

Much of Star Wars is a abrupt and unexplained. The extended universe can try to expand, but when you start getting into too much detail, it loses the mystique.

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
After Episode 1 I thought IG-11 would come back as a newer model or something. Have a strong feeling that's not the case now and I'm lowkey disappointed

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
Who cares about her? Who cares about the in-universe dialog the bounty hunter used?

Much of Star Wars is a abrupt and unexplained. The extended universe can try to expand, but when you start getting into too much detail, it loses the mystique.
Yeah I care because she looked cool and had a cool gun.

Much of Star Wars is getting a bunch of stories written about you because you look cool.

Oct 28, 2017
Very definition of a filler episode. And that kid playing the young bounty hunter was a horrible actor. Felt like he was auditioning for a SW role or something.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Am I the only one who thought the young bounty hunter's acting was fine? Probably

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Mando is pretty damn careless about his baby lol

Very definition of a filler episode. And that kid playing the young bounty hunter was a horrible actor. Felt like he was auditioning for a SW role or something.
Maybe too early to say but I don't think the show is interested in a grand, overarching narrative. Episodes 2, 4, and 5 are basically what most people characterize as filler in other TV shows, but in Mando... that is the show. Every episode is a new adventure.

Oct 28, 2017
Mando is pretty damn careless about his baby lol

Maybe too early to say but I don't think the show is interested in a grand, overarching narrative. Episodes 2, 4, and 5 are basically what most people characterize as filler in other TV shows, but in Mando... that is the show. Every episode is a new adventure.
Don't even really care about grand narrative. How bout a good episode with good characters, good writing and acting?

A lot of these supporting characters are just bad actors. All this money spent on the show and they couldn't find decent actors.

Dec 12, 2017
It's odd seeing people that clearly don't like this show, showing up each week to tell us all about how they still don't like it.

It's ok if this ain't your jam. It is also ok to recognize that and move on.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
This last episode proved to me Filoni shouldn't get a film just yet. He needs to hone his skills on directing live action. His way of storytelling I feel doesn't translate to full on live action shows either.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Don't even really care about grand narrative. How bout a good episode with good characters, good writing and acting?

A lot of these supporting characters are just bad actors. All this money spent on the show and they couldn't find decent actors.
I don't see what acting has to do with whether or not an episode is filler.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
The story just isn't compelling. The Clone Wars cartoon had more substance than this show.
I mean, yeah. The Clone Wars had a lot going on. This is closer in tone and form to the Tarkovsky CW than the Filoni CW. I don't care about the story besides Mando and the baby, but that's actually all there is, and I'm cool with it.

I don't mean to deflect your criticism about the writing or the acting because it's totally valid. I'm only speculating about what Favreau is going for, which, surprisingly, appears to be low-stakes and only loosely serialized, rather than long-form and plot-driven like most prestige TV we're used to.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Probably my least favorite, Feloni needs work as a director. Loved the start, loved the tattooine reveal, loved seeing the cantina, pit droids and so on. But man the kid bounty hunter felt like a Disney channel reject. Why waste Agent May with that role?! The action wasn't all that great, really simple episode.

The end though, here we go! Would be really shitty to do that tease and it not be Boba

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

It's amazing really. All 3 support characters in this episode were horrible actors. And the dialogue wasn't much better. Is this really the best Disney can do?

These episodes are so aimless. Nothing is connecting, and the narrative that was established in the first 3 episodes has been abandoned.

The third episode had me intruiged at what was to come, but the quality has dropped off dramatically since then.

Decepticonprime

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Am I the only one who thought the young bounty hunter's acting was fine? Probably
I thought it was also. He was just some kid out there who wanted to be a bounty hunter and he acted like just someone out there. I am not sure what people are basing "how" a random person in a backwater system in the middle of nowhere would be acting. These are normal people living their day to day lives.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It's amazing really. All 3 support characters in this episode were horrible actors. And the dialogue wasn't much better. Is this really the best Disney can do?

These episodes are so aimless. Nothing is connecting, and the narrative that was established in the first 3 episodes has been abandoned.

The third episode had me intruiged at what was to come, but the quality has dropped off dramatically since then.
Amy Sedaris is a fantastic actress, it's just for me it was weird seeing her not play a bumbling buffoon in a comedy series or Princess Carolyn

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
I was underwhelmed by the previous episodes, but this was the best one yet. Loved seeing the pit droids from Phantom Menace. And I was surprised that was Amy Sedaris as the mechanic.

Decepticonprime

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Probably my least favorite, Feloni needs work as a director. Loved the start, loved the tattooine reveal, loved seeing the cantina, pit droids and so on. But man the kid bounty hunter felt like a Disney channel reject. Why waste Agent May with that role?! The action wasn't all that great, really simple episode.

The end though, here we go! Would be really shitty to do that tease and it not be Boba

How is it wasting anyone? I am pretty sure Feloni has actors and other people come up to him all of the time and say "Hey, got any parts for me I would love to be in Star Wars" and they love it even if it is a small part. How many people do cameos just as stormtroopers because it is Star Wars.
And again, the kid (the son of another actor) got his chance too and was not bad as a kid who did not know shit about shit and just tried to make his mark.

Dec 12, 2017
And again, the kid (the son of another actor) got his chance too and was not bad as a kid who did not know shit about shit and just tried to make his mark.
The kid is a coward that is in over his head, trying to be something he isn't. He is cocky when he shouldn't be, arrogant without qualification.

I mean, he has his legs up in Han Solo's booth FFS. They want you to dislike this brat.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Did Mom Eisley have some kind of economic downturn after the New Republic was established? I understand the show doesn't have a movie-level budget, but Mos Eisley felt dead compared to what we have seen in the movies just 8 years prior in-cannon. They took us to what is possibly the most iconic town in all of science fiction and it looked like only a few of the extras showed up, but they still decided to film anyways. It was just disappointing to see.

Though I did like the irony that droids now worked the cantina and that we got another glimpse into how Tusken Raiders survive.

Last edited:

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
This was actually Tatooine though lol, idr if they said that or not but yeah Mos Eisley is in Tatooine.
I know, but it's still pretty weird to visit a second Tatooine only a few short episodes apart. Gotta make the most of those sets, and all those Companion Cube props would fit right in on Jakku or any of the other Tatooines.

Dec 12, 2017
Did Mom Eisley have some kind of economic downturn after the New Republic was established? I understand the show doesn't have a movie-level budget, but Mos Eisley felt dead compared to what we have seen in the movies just 8 years prior in-cannon. They took us to what is possibly the most iconic town in all of science fiction and it looked like only a few of the extras showed up, but they still decided to film anyways. It was just disappointing to see.

Though I did like the irony that droids now worked the cantina and that we got another glimpse into how Tusken Raiders survive.
We actually haven't seen Mos Eisley since ANH. Is that only 8 years?

Hmmm...you may be right. ESB was 2 years after ANH, ROTJ is 1 year after ESB and Mandalorian is 5 years after that. Huh.

Yeah, under new management. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.