• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Lucasfilms still not confirm that Boba and
Phasma
are "Dead".

Aftermatch books reveal that his Mando's armors Its on the Sandcrawler by Jawas somehow.
Then Character's name Cobb Vanth took it and he becomes a sheriff in the Tatooine town.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Mando: Where did he go!?
Baby Yoda:

giphy.gif

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
The looney toons calling this show a "western anthology series" are the same type of people trying to say that Captain America: Winter Solider was 70s Political Thriller lol

Up until this episode, it has been an enjoyable sci-fi show. Nothing more.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do people still actually want Filoni to direct a full movie, let alone a trilogy?
Yes. Very much so. His direction is better than fine (I do not get the complaints) and he really gets Star Wars. He's Lucas' protege. Clone Wars proves he can tell great feature-length stories as well. This show is hamstrung by not being able to tell lengthy stories and trying to tell everything in under 40 mins -- which is a format decision... and even still, this was by far the best paced episode in that format. It wasn't just jumping from action scene to action scene. There were clear characters here with development and even a twist. Compare it to last week's and it's night and day. I wish that the format was different/longer, but it is what it is.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the episode, and I think this is the first one I didn't like. The plot felt very cliche in the sense that once Mando met the bounty hunter, I got a feeling of where it was heading. Also, at this point, I'm starting to feel a sort of repetitiveness where every episode is "Mando tries to settle somewhere, and a big bad pops up and gets thwarted in one go." and it may get tiring.

I hope Ming Na's character isn't gone already. I was looking forward to seeing her in this show, and it'd be a shame if she were a one-off character with barely any screen time. Also, I know the Mandalorian is supposed to be professional, but, it was a little disappointing how he initially refused to even take the contract because of how deadly Fennec is supposed to be, but they pretty much take care of her in a few minutes (even if she got some shots in).

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's really not. The acting was awful here and that's on him. And even aside there's nothing special about the direction.

I'm really looking forward to Taika.
I just don't agree.

And Amy Sedaris is a good actor. So is Ming-Na Wen. The Canavale kid is obviously green, but his character was literally supposed to be that too -- so it worked for me. He came across as a cocky kid who doesn't know nearly as much as he claims and is way out of his league, and someone we weren't supposed to really like. To me that casting nailed that. All 3 of these characters felt appropriate for what they were meant to be.

It was night and day compared to the last episode with the bad actor bartender, the bad actor villagers, and the okay but could have been much better Gina Carano.

I do think Rick's episode was the best directed so far.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
when the hell is ol billy boi gonna show up? at the start of the episode I thought he was the titular Gunslinger, cause he has like what, 3 guns in the trailer?

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This episode proved Filoni can't direct for shit. The overall direction is flat compared to 2-4, the CGI for those droids were bad, and that guy's performance was especially god awful. I'm sure his animated stuff is fine but it doesn't translate at all into live action.

Oct 25, 2017
Everybody talking about Boba Fett and nobody mentioning...

THE HERO
MY MAN
OUR BOY R5
THE LEGEND D4
THE BAD MOTIVATOR HEARD ROUND THE GALAXY
THE SAVIOR OF OUR REPUBLIC
SKIPPY
THE JEDI
DROID

QoYElSB.png

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
oh

oh fuck

BIG mind blown theory.

That man at the end is Cobb Vanth.

Cobb Vanth, though? HE is Boba.

Somehow rescued from Sarlacc Pit, separated from his armor. Taken as a slave and given that name Cobb Vanth and given that star tattoo. Note that it says he is freed "by the battle of Endor." This is set after he was thrown into the Pit. Explains how Vanth landed on tatooine and why he would demand the armor, finally wanting to use it for a good purpose. Would even explain why he wants to raise a Hutt, think of what a Hutt can do with it's power, now imagine what it could do if raised to HELP people.

This would also further endear people to Boba, making him more than just a bounty hunter.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Last episode: Mando realizes all the bounty hunters are hunting baby yoda.

This Episode: starts with a bounty hunter trying to track him down in which he barely escapes.

Also this episode: leaves baby yoda entirely alone in the first five minutes without any protection or someone watching over him.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
FUCK they just kill off Agent May like that? Fucking waste.
Almost felt like Snoke all over again.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't know... the show MUST be doing something right since I keep watching it... but it's rough. The special effects though? Pretty damn good. This episode just felt mostly like padding and as fan service.

It was nice to see some depth added to the Tusken Raiders instead of them just being assholes and/or blaster fodder.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017

If you look at it, the folds are different above the red thing. And the pant cuff is tighter around the shoe, as well as lacking the ribs. There's more space on Mando's pants between the pad and the red thing. the shoe appears to have a different design. And in the upper picture, his boot is entirely different from Mando's. I don't think the guy in the dark is Mando.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully the showrunner can take the feedback from fans and consider some changes with the direction of the show.
Show is really starting to feel like a procedural disguised as a serialized series. Not to mention the run time still does not help at all.
There's still not enough time to flesh out the world or the characters of this show. I really hope other Star Wars shows like Obi-Wan won't suffer from the same thing.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Btw I read back a few pages and and I'm sure its known by now but that is not Pedro Pascal in the armor, its John Wayne's grandson Branden Wayne. Just funny because some people were "this is how you see how important body language is that you can see its Pascal!" :)

Dec 31, 2017
If you look at it, the folds are different above the red thing. And the pant cuff is tighter around the shoe, as well as lacking the ribs. There's more space on Mando's pants between the pad and the red thing. the shoe appears to have a different design. And in the upper picture, his boot is entirely different from Mando's. I don't think the guy in the dark is Mando.
-- The photo of the inner boot is exactly the same. The two upper layer sections are clearly visible.
-- Same damage on left beskar piece
-- Fabric folds from a studio photo versus a less-than-potato quality photo is your leading piece of evidence?

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
-- The photo of the inner boot is exactly the same.
-- Same damage on beskar
-- Fabric folds from a studio photo versus a less-than-potato quality photo is your leading piece of evidence?

I'm sorry, i thought I was allowed to use the photo as evidence as to why it's not mando, since you're using it as evidence it is. Wouldn't your claims be as weak as mine, due to your last point?

Here:

--Battle damage on a studio photo versus a less than a potato quality photo is your second piece of evidence?

Oh hey, that was fun. How about if you don't complain about the quality of the photo you supplied, hmmm?

Dec 31, 2017
I'm sorry, i thought I was allowed to use the photo as evidence as to why it's not mando, since you're using it as evidence it is. Wouldn't your claims be as weak as mine, due to your last point?

Here:

--Battle damage on a studio photo versus a less than a potato quality photo is your second piece of evidence?

Oh hey, that was fun. How about if you don't complain about the quality of the photo you supplied, hmmm?
NEWSFLASH: Battle damage is unique. Fabric folds aren't.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Btw I read back a few pages and and I'm sure its known by now but that is not Pedro Pascal in the armor, its John Wayne's grandson Branden Wayne. Just funny because some people were "this is how you see how important body language is that you can see its Pascal!" :)

Is he not just one of the stunt doubles? I'm pretty sure we have set photos that show Pascal is actually there in the suit.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
OK, my take on the show so far is that it has cool settings to play with, but not much to do in them. The first few episodes were enjoyable because it's always fun to see familiar Star Wars elements from an everyday perspective, when the story isn't chasing grand drama or whittling itself into a piece of the hero's journey. The intro of Baby Yoda was delightful, and seeing how the Mandolorians operate as a tribe added richness to the background in the same way the Clone Wars series fleshed out the settings of the prequels.

The idea of following a Mandalorian bounty hunter who takes us on a tour of the Star Wars universe in the course of his job is a good one. But there needs to be more. At this stage of the show, it's a problem that our hero is still wandering around letting chance encounters dictate his purpose.

We know he's on the run for double crossing his merc allies and committing the professional uh-oh of stealing back a valuable target. Great! We know he needs money to stay ahead of his pursuers. Great! We know he's committed to protecting Baby Yoda. Great!

So why doesn't he act like it? Why don't these plot points have a stronger influence on the tone and pace of the show?

Why does Mando leave Baby Yoda unsupervised when it's liable to wander? Why does he team up with random jokers? Why doesn't he take the normal precautions of someone who is on the run, whether it be keeping a low profile, bribing the right people, reaching out to contacts, seeking discreet jobs, whatever?

What I'm saying is, the show would be better if it took its own story of a bounty hunter on the run and harboring a valuable target seriously, rather than using it as pretext for a series of short disconnected adventures.

It's fine if the Mandolarian is taking things a day at a time, and has no clue what he's going to do with his little passenger, but if that's the case then it needs to be reflected in his choices and conveyed to the audience.

The drifting and disconnected nature of the show has become a real sticking point for me. If this was supposed to be Mando's Random Star Wars Adventures, the writers shouldn't have set it up like a serial show, with persistent and unfolding problems to solve. It's like the show and its characters forget the events Mando set in motion whenever he decides to amble around and let the winds carry him anywhere or nowhere.

Maybe this is just a tonal problem, because no, I wasn't sleeping during the intro, and I did notice that each episode advances the main story in some way. It's just that something about it feels off, as though the Mandalorian is in a chill adventure series, but the story thinks he's the target of a suspenseful manhunt.

Last edited:

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
when the hell is ol billy boi gonna show up? at the start of the episode I thought he was the titular Gunslinger, cause he has like what, 3 guns in the trailer?
Bill Burr? My friend told me like two weeks ago he said he shows up in episode six on his podcast.

Also, maybe he went back to get her body to use as some kind of leverage to protect the kid.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
This show is a lot of aesthetic with nothing to chew on.

I'm real cold on it. Like it's watchable, but it feels so hollow. The first 3 episodes feel like they've said all this show seems intent on saying thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.