• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoothcb

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite show now and pretty much a dream realized from when I was a kid.

Funny thing is, every time I go to stream via Airplay (only way to get 4k on a Vizio) the dialogue always starts in German.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I think this episode all but confirms that it was Boba Fett.

Like I said when the episode first aired, it could not be him but the show runners obviously wanted you to think it was a possibility. Now that we know it wasn't Mof Gideon, the only other person it could be is Boba.

Deleted member 18192

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the original trilogy and have always loved the star wars universe only to be disappointed by everything post Jedi Knight.

This show is my jam, more of this pls and less of the modern movies, The new trilogy feels like it was made by people who enjoyed Episode 1

Last edited:

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If by nostalgia pandering you mean the 1 film planet, an IG unit, and an AT-ST

I dunno, that drop between Solo and TLJ is pretty hard, as is the one between RotJ and TPM, and TFA and RotS is weird. Taking the memes away it's a big gap.
We all know the prequels suck. You can't really compare movies made decades later to those prior very well though. Solo is about the same as The Mandalorian if everyone is being honest, quality inconsistency throughout and all.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Highly debatable. Favreau's writing in this series is seriously worse than Lucas' in the prequels most of the time. A lot of the episodes just get by on a severe lack of dialogue. The directors, production design team, and baby yoda are what's making this as good as it is.

Having lows like episode 4 and highs like this past episode is also not consistent quality at all.
Personally I think the writing and acting is consistently pretty bad. This last episode wasn't better than any others, it just had what people wanted more, recurring characters! Poorly utilized though and badly written.

Production, art, and cute Yoda help for me.

And I suppose if I'm going to watch awful writing and acting it should be fun and not take itself so seriously, so this at least hits that.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I think the writing and acting is consistently pretty bad. This last episode wasn't better than any others, it just had what people wanted more, recurring characters! Poorly utilized though and badly written.

And I suppose if I'm going to watch awful writing and acting it should be fun and not take itself so seriously, so this at least hits that.
I completely agree with you. When I mean the last episode was a high, I don't mean the writing was any better. It is just that it is starting to feel like a real show with a cast of characters, and some sort of story we might give half a shit about. Unlike a throwaway generic standalone episode, which was poorly executed. I will say though, Nick Nolte, Carl Weathers, Pedro Pascal, Werner Herzog, and Giancarlo Esposito are all great actors. The writing is just kinda letting all of them down, similar to how the prequels let down a lot of great actors.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I completely agree with you. When I mean the last episode was a high, I don't mean the writing was any better. It is just that it is starting to feel like a real show with a cast of characters, and some sort of story we might give half a shit about. Unlike a throwaway generic standalone episode, which was poorly executed. I will say though, Nick Nolte, Carl Weathers, Pedro Pascal, Werner Herzog, and Giancarlo Esposito are all great actors. The writing is just kinda letting all of them down, similar to how the prequels let down a lot of great actors.
Yeah most of them can be good, but I have to say this feels like absolutely one of the worst acted drama television shows I've seen in a long long time. Granted I'm not tuning some daytime television or basic cable stuff really ever, but still...

The most frustrated thing about the show though is that it'd be so easy to integrate the characters just a bit more and fix so so much about the overall 'plot.'

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

The Mandalorian has been split 50/50 between episodes that are mediocre nostalgic pandering with that thing you recognize and episodes that are awful nostalgic pandering with that thing you recognize, but also actively bad supporting characters and terrible plots that poorly rip off decades old media while ignoring interesting themes or characters.

But there's a cute puppet!

If there's anything that sums up Star Wars under Disney it's this show.

Jesus Christ, I can rarely manage to watch 7 episodes of a show I'm loving. I don't know how (or why) y'all do it.

Oct 29, 2017

Yeah, this is pretty much where I am at. I still watch it because its not much of a time investment and its kind of a guilty pleasure but its definitely falling way short of expectations at this point. I think I keep hoping that the show will hit a stride but...

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

Like I said when the episode first aired, it could not be him but the show runners obviously wanted you to think it was a possibility. Now that we know it wasn't Mof Gideon, the only other person it could be is Boba.
Those boot sounds, man

It's Boba

Deleted member 25834

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can't believe I skipped the credits all this time. The art is amazing and the music is sublime. Better than any of the movies. If Disney continues to produce series like this, I might have to stay subscribed.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So when she said she didn't do that anymore when Mando tried to recruit her for her only to change her mind when he said it was against the Empire 5 seconds later reminded me of Michael Scarn in Threat Level Midnight lol

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ, I can rarely manage to watch 7 episodes of a show I'm loving. I don't know how (or why) y'all do it.
There's more than just writing and acting in a show, though. Production and art are superb. Music is amazing. It's fun and doesn't take itself so seriously so it's a bit of a guilty pleasure despite the writing.

And it's hard to judge something as a mess until you've seen at least a few of the pieces. We're only 7 episodes into a short show. It's the equivalent of watching a movie over the course of two months. It's not that crazy.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Yes have to agree. Much better episode but as had been said the writing and acting is sub-par.

Not seeing his face (because Pablo is probably only voice acting it) is really hampering an emotional connection between characters. If it weren't for Nolte and BY there would be zero emotional attachment

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
They should just give every episode to Deborah Chow for season 2, her episodes have easily been the best ones.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
That was an excellent episode and a reassuring return to form after a poor episode 6. Had everything you love about Star Wars, really. Laughs, drama, and lots of action.

Will certainly agree with criticism of some of the performances, though. Gina Carano in particular is straight up bad. Like one of those actors you'd see on a murder mystery show on ID channel.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Yes have to agree. Much better episode but as had been said the writing and acting is sub-par.

Not seeing his face (because Pablo is probably only voice acting it) is really hampering an emotional connection between characters. If it weren't for Nolte and BY there would be zero emotional attachment
Pedro is in the suit

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

You mean Pablo Hidalgo? Supreme arbiter of Lucasfilm Canon?

99KIpKj.gif

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I feel a bit cheated if Pedro isn't always in the suit, to the point one of the directors didn't work with him at all...

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017

Wait how do we know it wasn't him?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Wait how do we know it wasn't him?
Narratively speaking, it makes no sense.

When a piece of media makes a point to have a tease like that, once the character is revealed, it's shown in a way so you know that's who was being teased. It would be the most amture shit ever if Moff Gideon ended up being teased in that episode and then shown like he's just a normal baddie in another one.

S I C K O

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
IG88 is going to nurse the old alien dude back to health like he did to IG88. That's why they spent so long showing that stupid flashback.

I have spoken. Also this is a kids show for babies so the good guys will always win.

Status
Not open for further replies.