• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayers

Oct 28, 2017
So are we to take it Bo-Katan is dead? She was the last to wield the Darksaber that we know of right?

Oct 27, 2017
I think that one steps a wee bit outside of the opinion safety bubble. Saying he should have kept his helmet on is an opinion. Saying that the "dark haired" or whatever boy could not grow up to become "white officer worker" José Pedro Balmaceda Pascal is...incorrect?

Sure if you want to twist my words and make them something they werent. All i was trying to get at was that Mando without his helmet looked like a white guy while the child they showed as Mando to me didnt look like it could be the same person. The child just looked like a different nationality to me. Thats all i was saying.

Deleted member 3758

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's made clear there's only one door out of that bar. Mando says "cover me" and runs out of it.

The door is breached by a Death Trooper. They attack Cara.

After Mando is wounded and dragged back in the bar, the door closes behind them.

I didn't catch it the first time.

They have to go back into the same place because the sewer grating has blast marks on it from earlier.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I really dug the brief pseudo-reference to Revan's fight with Manadalore the Ultimate.

In fact, is that the first direct reference to The Old Republic that we've gotten in any live-action Star Wars media?

Oct 29, 2017
Who cares about any of this...

I guess not you so not sure why you bothered responding?

Others seem to have similar issues and it affects the enjoyment of the show for some of us when the characters just seem to constantly make weird/dumb decisions that dont seem to make much sense...or the show makers dont think through the scenarios they create

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really dug the brief pseudo-reference to Revan's fight with Manadalore the Ultimate.

In fact, is that the first direct reference to The Old Republic that we've gotten in any live-action Star Wars media?

The Mandalorians having conflict with the Jedi is a canon part of Clone Wars and Rebels, it's (no longer) intended as a direct reference to KOTOR or Revan.

Also, the hammerhead ships from KOTOR were in Rogue One and TROS.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps. Order 66 happened during the Siege of Mandalore? If so, Ahsoka would have had to quit the field and flee and then maybe the Clones turned on the Mandalorians.

We know what happened to Bo-Katan after the siege of Mandalore, she's in Rebels. It's what happens after that that we don't know.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Leading the Mandalorians was never Sabine's destiny, she has a greater role to play in galactic history helping Ahsoka and saving Ezra.

KCrZCmz.png

Big One

Oct 25, 2017

There is a mural of a specific encounter from that era in Palpatine's office in Episode III, actually. I'm not sure which it represented but it's now be retconned to "Ancient Jedi vs. Ancient Sith" or whatever aka something less specific.

Deleted member 62221

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
I liked this show but I agree with the post saying you have to turn off your brain a bit because some character decisions are dumb (to be fair I think I do that for all of Star Wars).
Still I'm looking forward to more, I just think the show could be better. I think Star Wars in general could give us smarter shows and movies, just because you have space opera tropes going on doesn't mean that characters need to be dumb.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
So are we to take it Bo-Katan is dead? She was the last to wield the Darksaber that we know of right?

I feel like there are a million ways she could still be alive if they wanted her to be. Her death is only really going to have an impact for cartoon fans if it has already happened off-screen, since Mando would already know about it. I'm betting she's alive, or there was a longer arc from her to Gideon than we're assuming.

The Visual Dictionary for TROS name-checks Revan but I'm not sure if that's something made wholecloth by the writer or if it was intended by production.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Reminder that Revan almost became canon in a Clone Wars episode but the scene was deleted.

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Rewatched the finale. Favreau just hits the sweet spot of obscure references and telling a new story. I hope they keep the train rolling past season 2.

Oct 25, 2017
Why do I see people talking about Boba Fett showing up? It's been a while since I watched the OT, but I'm pretty sure he dead. This takes place after Jedi right?

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017

I don't think it's spoken out loud in the movie but the merchandise and novelizations for Ep 9 RoS point out that Palpatine named each of his armies after a previous Sith Lord, one of them is named Legion of Revan.

Why do I see people talking about Boba Fett showing up? It's been a while since I watched the OT, but I'm pretty sure he dead. This takes place after Jedi right?

Because both the original Legends EU and the new Disney cannon seem to suggest that BF survived the Sarlac pit in Jedi.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's spoken out loud in the movie but the merchandise and novelizations for Ep 9 RoS point out that Palpatine named each of his armies after a previous Sith Lord, one of them is named Legion of Revan.

Because both the original Legends EU and the new Disney cannon seem to suggest that BF survived the Sarlac pit in Jedi.

That's going to be quite the WTF for old farts like me.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
How is it that I care more about the main cast in this series through 8 episodes than I did about any of the new cast in 3 SW movies?

Like I was legit sad for IG-11, and the fact that Mando finally got over his distrust of droids, it was just well done character building.

Stuff like this, Rogue One, Solo, and even Fallen Order still gives me faith in the Star Wars franchise.

SerAardvark

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed the episode and the season as a whole, minus a few quibbles and the Tatooine episode. I'm really looking forward to the next season and to see if they can build off of what they've learned here when it comes to the Obi-wan series.

In terms of this episode:

1. The opening scene with the troopers was really entertaining and I'd actually love to get occasional scenes like that in other contexts too
  2. Esposito was great and I really bought into the general menace and darkness of his background and "presence" in the galaxy.
  3. I was surprised by how much IG-11's sacrifice hurt in the end - I knew it was coming but I still felt really bad about it
  4. Cara being from Alderaan was a great way to explain a lot about her character and also gives her a really strong reason to connect with the Mandalorian. I think Gina Carano does a great job with the role too
  5. The "do the magic hand thing" made me laugh out loud
  6. Darksaber was a great callback and am really looking forward to getting more information as to how he got it
  7. I was really really hoping that Kuiil would have somehow survived :(

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
Death Watch no longer exists after Clone Wars, but Clan Vizsla was still around and they swore themselves to Bo-Katan.

As for the people who rescued Dyn as a child, they were just doing the right thing. Even Death Watch wouldn't want a kid to die like that. Remember, Death Watch wanted to preserve the old ways and Dyn was clearly raised in a very traditional Mandalorian culture.
Cool, I just watched a couple of mando episodes of CW S2 so far. Thanks!

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Mando, don't bury Kuill on miserable-ass Nevarro, bring him back to his valley :(

Oct 25, 2017
I'd probably reverse that, and make following up on the sword as the a-plot, and getting the child back like finding the one piece, in that it only happens at the end of the series.

This is how I suspect they'll chart this, but time will tell and I'm quite excited to see where they go from here.

So yeah, I'm I intrigued by Rebels et al now as well - which one do I go for first? Does it matter?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm considering making a Clone Wars thread to provide information about episodes people need to watch -- that old picture everyone always posts is out of date.

Status
Not open for further replies.