• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Just call it Disco.

Disco is back.

99912-1532336916.jpg

The shirt so cool they made it merch.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Finally caught up on the last episode. It was easily the best of the series (it had the best director too), but it still left me unconvinced of the entire series. The problem is I just don't care for these characters at all. It's cool to see cool Star Wars stuff, but the heart is missing. The whole series was a string of some ups and a lot of downs, mostly due to mediocre scripts and a lack of real character development (it has some moments springled here and there, but it's all very undercooked).

If it wasn't a Star Wars series I would've probably given up on it after three episodes or so.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
holy shit, the intro of ep 8 with the two stormtroopers is, no joke, my favorite Star Wars "thing" probably since the OG trilogy. Its amazing and now I need a Taika directed movie.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Just finished it

Regardless of my individual thoughts of each episode, one thought is mostly consistent - personally I'd put Favreau in charge of the overall direction of the SW cinematic brand if he would accept

After the ST, it's clear SW sorely needs one person steering the ship closer to the ground than Kennedy and he's earnt his stripes. He's a smart guy

yankeeh8er

Oct 26, 2017
Dracula Georgia
Just finished it

Regardless of my individual thoughts of each episode, one thought is mostly consistent - personally I'd put Favreau in charge of the overall direction of the SW cinematic brand if he would accept

After the ST, it's clear SW sorely needs one person steering the ship closer to the ground than Kennedy and he's earnt his stripes. He's a smart guy
I am really shocked that with how well having feige in charge of marvel movies has worked disney hasn't done that for Star Wars. They need to clean house of everyone in charge of the movies now and bring in one person to have final say.

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished episode 8. It was fun.

But I have to admit...without Baby Yoda, this series would be incredibly mediocre. The 30 minute episodes aren't long enough for anything to be developed properly, and the CGI, acting, and writing is pretty damn bad most of the time.

The Mandalorian was not good imo but what show has better CGI??

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I am really shocked that with how well having feige in charge of marvel movies has worked disney hasn't done that for Star Wars. They need to clean house of everyone in charge of the movies now and bring in one person to have final say.

Bigtime. It wouldn't interfere with touted plans of giving a trilogy to Johnson here, or letting some fresh talent let loose there. If anything it needs to bridge the transition between them.

SW has coasted on the Skywalkers until the tank is entirely empty and a JJ / Johnson / JJ sandwich was misguided - regardless of what LFL say, a lack of a whole 'vision' hurt it more than any individual choices made in the three movies. If the brand is to survive, it needs a rock solid guiding voice and Jon is my pick - but entirely if someone else is upto it, go get them

Edit: some people have issues with the Mandalorians CG?? Yikes. I thought production values and art was A+. A fun little romp and a palet cleanser after ROS

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it

Favreau or Filoni would be great. Heck, use them both if you can. Filoni might not have much experience directing actual people but you can tell just how good he is at building a consistent narrative across multiple shows and, unlike Favreau, he's less likely to be busy with other projects.

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
Amazing series so far, hope season 2 keeps the quality. This is all I want from Star Wars, movies can rest for a long, long time as far as I'm concerned.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished episode 8. It was fun.

But I have to admit...without Baby Yoda, this series would be incredibly mediocre. The 30 minute episodes aren't long enough for anything to be developed properly, and the CGI, acting, and writing is pretty damn bad most of the time.

Agreed. I can't say this show did anything well other than good production values

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of my minor regrets about Rebels is I kind of wish Sabine had been Force-sensitive.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
So I finally caught up with this. Overall a good series, despite half the episodes ranging from bad to very bad. First part and last part are the best.
But I can't believe how people love this and seem to hate on the movies, since they mostly share the same problems of exposition and cliché. Plus, Mandalorian has bad acting and boring setpieces. I think baby Yoda and the fact that this doesn't touch the OT are what makes people comfortable.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Was not feeling that last episode as much as others - felt like the setup was squandered and it was by the numbers. Average show at best.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it last night. Really enjoyed it. Does a good job of being an adventure serial/space western. Fantastic music.

The setup has lots of potential to play with different genres/characters with the size of the universe.

Favreau or Filoni would be great. Heck, use them both if you can. Filoni might not have much experience directing actual people but you can tell just how good he is at building a consistent narrative across multiple shows and, unlike Favreau, he's less likely to be busy with other projects.

Just building a consistent narrative and mapping out where you're going is what's needed. There's room to try a lot of different things creatively.

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I finally caught up with this. Overall a good series, despite half the episodes ranging from bad to very bad. First part and last part are the best.
But I can't believe how people love this and seem to hate on the movies, since they mostly share the same problems of exposition and cliché. Plus, Mandalorian has bad acting and boring setpieces. I think baby Yoda and the fact that this doesn't touch the OT are what makes people comfortable.

Yeah it's kind of terrible other than the visuals and music. Cinematographer needs a raise, he is singlehandedly making the show.

Story is nothing.
Dialogue is terrible.
Acting is mostly downright bad.
Characters are nothing.

Even the action is blah.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah it's kind of terrible other than the visuals and music. Cinematographer needs a raise, he is singlehandedly making the show.

Story is nothing.
Dialogue is terrible.
Acting is mostly downright bad.
Characters are nothing.

Even the action is blah.
Then you should probably just skip the show from now on.

Oct 25, 2017
One of my minor regrets about Rebels is I kind of wish Sabine had been Force-sensitive.
Idk, I don't think i'd want her as a full Force sensitive.
maybe something like Chirrut at most.

Could have been interesting if she could clearly use the Force for simple stuff with a lot of effort but never remotely as strongly as Kanan and Ezra despite them trying to train with her throughout.

Honestly the whole thing COULD have been better if Sabine and Ezra were fused into a single character but im glad that wasn't the case.
I'll take the family aspect and 2 good interesting characters over just 1 near perfect character.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The general vibe of this series is strong.

It is full of utterly stupid stuff that is fully contrived for the sake of forcing plot points.

They have shot their way out of far less intimidating situations than the end of e8. No need for what happens. They could easily have found another solution, especially as they had the drop on the drop.

The show is full of stuff like this, and it drags it down for me.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Well, it's okay to have differing opinions.
Sure if you state them as opinions and not as absolute statements to emphasise how factual said statements are. Then yeah, it's nice to discuss things.

But in this case, there really isn't anything to discuss and the post is just there to shit on thing that others like, it would appear.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Of course, if we really do get Sabine on the show I'd rather she went even crazier with her armor paintjob. Add some cyberpunk-ey LED detailing that'll pop in HDR.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I hope we'll see some nods to Mando in Clone Wars S7. I think a cameo of Lil' Din Djarin in the care of Death Watch isn't inconceivable.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
holy shit, the intro of ep 8 with the two stormtroopers is, no joke, my favorite Star Wars "thing" probably since the OG trilogy. Its amazing and now I need a Taika directed movie.

I know you're a TV-Era user- the two actors cameoing as the stormtroopers are favorites of that thread.

It's Adam Pally and Jason Sudeikis

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Enhance!

arj2l.jpg

Screw it, I'm guessing Sabine.
The armour's colour shading screams Sabine.

omg it's happening

Edit: Why would they make a funko of this character so early.

Also, I just noticed that this Mando is using a rifle; Sabine uses dual blasters. So it's probably not her, alas.

Last edited:

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching the season. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I wouldn't mind of Disney held off on big Star Wars movies for a while and just made tv series to get in the groove of the universe and let it breathe. Still looking forward to Rian's trilogy though if they are still happening.

Oct 25, 2017
It would be hilarious and kinda suck if Sabine showed up but suddenly decided to follow Mando's group's code
so Rebels voice actress just dubs a suit actor

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I the plot thread of seeing Mando without his helmet seems so unnecessary. I think not asking the question "what does he look like" in the first place would be the best thing to do. Sure the viewer might be curious, but how does seeing his face actually add to his character? Or contribute to any theme?
Weapons and armor are a Manadalorian's religion. To that end, they are never allowed to take their helmet off in front of another person, because they're not allowed to show vulnerability.

Mando hates droids. He doesn't think of them as droids, he thinks of them as people, and he hates them, because they massacred his village and killed his parents when he was a child. He doesn't think that droids can be programmed for good or evil, he thinks they're fundamentally evil, and that their evil will always emerge. So he hates IG-11 (particularly since IG-11 tried to kill Baby Yoda).

All sorts of people keep on trying to get Mando's helmet off, not because there's anything special about his helmet or his face, but just because Mando doesn't want them to get his helmet off (because his religion says it's not allowed). If Mando doesn't want them to do it, then that makes them want to do it, because doing so means that they have utterly "beaten him".

Near death, IG-11 (someone Mando specifically hates) gets Mando to take his helmet off to save his life, because "I'm not a person, so it's okay." But Mando still thinks that IG-11 is a person. A person (droid) who didn't betray Mando, who actually saved him, and protected Baby Yoda, and who is trying to save Mando again.

Which is why Mando doesn't want IG-11 to sacrifice himself to save the team, and he's sad when IG-11 says he has to do it, because there is no other way. Because while Mando still sees droids as people, he's come around to seeing that droids can be good people. And IG-11 isn't just a good person, he's the person Mando has had the most intimate contact with in decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.