• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, it can't. Most heroes are defined by their willingness to sacrifice. Even some villains aren't out for themselves. You should probably try to put forth a little thought before hot taking.
Wasn't a hot take. Almost always you can argue motivation for characters is survival. Either for themselves or for others. If anyone should be doing some thought to something it very clearly should be people attempting to use "survival" as a descriptor for what the protagonist's motivations are in this show (or people attempting to justify that response).

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
I think my brother has the right idea. He's planning on waiting until all the episodes are up and then watching through the whole season.

Solid episode. They clearly spent some money (despite some rather notable hiccups).

Yeah after watching the second episode I think I'll wait until this is finished, with how short these episodes are (so far) and as it's only eight episodes the weekly release don't really fit this show.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Wasn't a hot take. Almost always you can argue motivation for characters is survival. Either for themselves or for others. If anyone should be doing some thought to something it very clearly should be people attempting to use "survival" as a descriptor for what the protagonist's motivations are in this show (or people attempting to justify that response).

Fair enough *thumbsup*

Also sorry for coming off as dickish, I'm kind of tired

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Wasnt a fan of this episode at all. It was only 30 minutes, and barely anything actually happened. Felt like filler and an excuse to show jawas for nostalgia.

And after two episodes, this show didnt need to be released one week at a time.

Huge let down for me after how much I enjoyed episode 1.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I actually liked that episode. I'm surprised I'm enjoying watching a Star Wars. Typically it's the video game department I get my "enjoyable" SW fix.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Liking it a lot far, wasn't at all what I was expecting which is good. So am I correct in thinking Mandalorians go through some rite of passage building their full set of armor or something? Don't really know much about the universe besides the movies.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad this releases weekly. It's fun to watch with everyone else each week.
30 minutes of show, 30 hours of discussion. The Mando promise.
Liking it a lot far, wasn't at all what I was expecting which is good. So am I correct in thinking Mandalorians go through some rite of passage building their full set of armor or something?
I'm not certain, but it seems like beskar (a type of metal?) holds special significance to them, perhaps even religiously. They appear to be awarded it to augment their suit, so Mandalorian armour becomes their equivalent to a trophy case or medal collection; it is the core of their being.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
If Filoni hasn't graduated to the point of deciding the main story beats for where Star Wars is headed at this point, then we've got a problem. The man knows what he's doing and its time to give him the ability to decide the overall direction of where future films are headed as well.

Not taking anything away from Favreau here of course.

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
I saw some people saying they dislike the music because it didn't feel like Star Wars which is whatever to me, but what really got me about the music in the first two episodes is that both of them had a moment where the music annoyed me at some sort of core inside me. Like I never have this feeling even in movies with boring scores or whatever, but this had like random noises playing through a few moments that drove me nuts. I don't remember where it was in the first episode, but in the second it was right after he was thrown out of the cave after going into the egg nest and he's "locking horns" with the beast. What is up with that?

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I saw some people saying they dislike the music because it didn't feel like Star Wars which is whatever to me, but what really got me about the music in the first two episodes is that both of them had a moment where the music annoyed me at some sort of core inside me. Like I never have this feeling even in movies with boring scores or whatever, but this had like random noises playing through a few moments that drove me nuts. I don't remember where it was in the first episode, but in the second it was right after he was thrown out of the cave after going into the egg nest and he's "locking horns" with the beast. What is up with that?

If you don't like this music you worship Satan point blank

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
The Mandalorian's pistol is a early Bergmann No. 1, one of the first semi-auto pistols ever made, and with only some slight modifications (it even has the cleaning rod on the side that were only on early versions of the gun). They replaced the lip on the side used to open the magazine with a decorative disc, new sights, new hammer (that looks a bit like a C96 Broomhandle hammer), a muzzle cone, and a new grip (that reminds me a bit of the borchardt or Luger with the disc on the magazine).

Nuka1

Oct 28, 2017
The Mandalorian's pistol is a early Bergmann No. 1, one of the first semi-auto pistols ever made, and with only some slight modifications (it even has the cleaning rod on the side that were only on early versions of the gun). They replaced the lip on the side used to open the magazine with a decorative disc, new sights, new hammer (that looks a bit like a C96 Broomhandle hammer), a muzzle cone, and a new grip (that reminds me a bit of the borchardt or Luger with the disc on the magazine).
I too watch Forgotten Weapons.

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
If you don't like this music you worship Satan point blank

Most of it I do. The "main theme" or motif if you will I really like. The drums and the wind instrument stuff that was pretty freuqent in episode 2 is really good. Like I said there are like two moments where it sounds like random electronic noise just thrown in. I thought it was a sound effect of some weapon or armor malfunctioning at first. The sound plays during what is already a modern sort of chaotic electronic piece of music, but it just feels like one to many things on top of each other. I guess he is trying to go for something that I just don't get.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Most of it I do. The "main theme" or motif if you will I really like. The drums and the wind instrument stuff that was pretty freuqent in episode 2 is really good. Like I said there are like two moments where it sounds like random electronic noise just thrown in. I thought it was a sound effect of some weapon or armor malfunctioning at first. The sound plays during what is already a modern sort of chaotic electronic piece of music, but it just feels like one to many things on top of each other. I guess he is trying to go for something that I just don't get.

You're talking about the rhino fight sequence right? Yeah that part sounded a bit weird to me, quite different then the usual sound/music we have heard so far.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The more I read this and other threads the more I think people just don't pay attention to shit
You don't have to think it, when it's a fact.
Every fucking time.

"It's confusing and poorly written!"
*displays clear evidence they can't follow basic-ass shit*

Ywqtsdi.gif

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Story context is never irrelevant. We're talking about how well this story orients its audience into the larger mythos. I'm arguing there is confusion from some viewers about this because the show hasn't done a proper job of explaining it. There's been some throwaway lines here and there but from a visual storytelling perspective I don't think the show has done a good job of this. It might get better as the story progresses but I'm not at all surprised that some people have had trouble placing what time period the story is set in.

Agreed. That so many people are confused about the timeline just goes to show that the writers haven't quite done a good enough job of establishing the exact setting. "Imperial credits no longer work" isn't going to mean much to causal fans and some of the other hints like the Stormtroopers having dirty armor is like...not all that conclusive. There was a brief line about the Empire not being around anymore or something but clearly a lot of people missed it. I think it would have been nice to have an opening scroll (just in the first episode) that established the setting and maybe a little info about Mando - especially since that first episode was so short and sparse on exposition.

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
Agreed. That so many people are confused about the timeline just goes to show that the writers haven't quite done a good enough job of establishing the exact setting. "Imperial credits no longer work" isn't going to mean much to causal fans and some of the other hints like the Stormtroopers having dirty armor is like...not all that conclusive. There was a brief line about the Empire not being around anymore or something but clearly a lot of people missed it. I think it would have been nice to have an opening scroll (just in the first episode) that established the setting and maybe a little info about Mando - especially since that first episode was so short and sparse on exposition.

The pacing of some of that dialog was pretty iffy in those scenes to me plus I don't think the audio mix was great. Doesn't surprise me that people didn't internalize all that was being said, and if that wasn't enough the people I watched it with missed it because they were on their phones :)

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How I understand it is every 10 years of Yoda species years is 1 year in human time. So baby yoda is probably like 5 years old in terms of development.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017

Yaaas

Soundtrack feels like Trent Reznor/ Atticus Ross x John Williams x Sergio Leone

Last edited:

S I C K O

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
slice of life episodes is what i want from star wars

theres enough other SW media out there for everyone else who wants some grand story or plot

i wish all fictional universes worked like this, thats why i really liked spiderman homecoming and joker.

Duo VII

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
I think the series is going for a Lone Wolf and Cub feel and I really, really like that. It reminds me of Lucas' Akira Kurosawa inspirations. In short, he'll die saving the babe?

Last edited:

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
We are two episodes in
He was a foundling
All he knows is the Mandolorian way
He legit is a black and white bounty Hunter....until he isn't when he kills the Droid and saves the child. The story will obviously be about him protecting the child from outside forces that wiSh to do him harm, because like himself a former foundling that had to survive with no parents since an early age.

I can also just sum that all up by just saying "surviving"

Dec 22, 2017
The lack of an opening crawl is a positive for me. Same with not having title cards for each planet. Having a little mystery and ambiguity can be fun, and is fitting for a story like this.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
There's also a element of internal conflict he's facing since turning in the baby will net him a ton of Beskar steel which is clearly damn near sacred to him, his people and their culture.

OP
OP
WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I was hoping to add a new poll to gather people's thoughts on Chapter 2 but I can't see any options. Anyone know if there's a way to do that?

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
I think the series is going for a Lone Wolf and Cub feel and I really, really like that. It reminds me of Lucas' Akira Toriyama inspirations. In short, he'll die saving the babe?

Are we going to let that one go? Given my avatar I kind of feel I cant.

Anyway, I have really enjoyed both episodes so far. This one felt a bit too brief, more like essentially what could have been the last ten minutes of a longer episode one, but I would rather have that than too long etc. Love the music choices and action scenes so far.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
So poll, are people going to complain about baby Yoda being a "Mary Sue/Marty Stu" trope character, or no?

I vote that people aren't even though so far it fits the trope.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goddammit, baby Yoda is fucking adorable. My girlfriend was squealing every time he was on screen. I was too, lol. A wise old baby, lol.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Wasnt a fan of this episode at all. It was only 30 minutes, and barely anything actually happened. Felt like filler and an excuse to show jawas for nostalgia.

And after two episodes, this show didnt need to be released one week at a time.

Huge let down for me after how much I enjoyed episode 1.

This episode wasn't a filler, it was clearly meant to show us the Mando bonding with the kid, explaining why the Mando will most likely kill a bunch of imperials in the next episode(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.