• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching episode 4. Really disappointed with it honestly. Didn't even look like it takes place in the the SW universe to me.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
This puts into perspective just how tiny baby yoda is.
EKkZdBsWoAEwsZx.jpg

Protect at all costs.
oh my goddd! I'd never allow him to walk around on his own. I'll carry him myself or he stays in the ship :<

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
Man, the writing is really bad.

Did Favreau originally write this to be a video game? Each episode is basically an RPG side quest, complete with NPC dialogue.

Thank goodness for Yodel.
Yep, this episode fits the mold of a typicalA Team episode. It doesn't mean I don't enjoy the show, just looks like it's going to settle into that. Hopefully not.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
This whole "this is a game" thing is hilarious, and one of those clear moments of "ResetEra has a reeeeeeally small frame of reference for visual media".

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
this show is honestly pretty embarrassing and the online discourse it creates in its wake is just the cherry on top.

there's just nothing to it at all, it's extremely vapid with increasingly more awkward writing and even more questionable acting.

I mean I'm not above thinking Baby Yoda is the cutest thing to ever be put on screen but this show is literally just adult men playing with toys.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
I'm not a fan of this show, but damn if that main theme isn't awesome. It's infinitely replayable.

Last edited:

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
It's weird, episodes like this is what I expected out of the show, yet now four episodes in it feels incredibly out of place because the first three episodes focused so much on Baby Yoda-species and the mystery surrounding him. Anyway, yeah, not a very interesting or good episode. The writing was really bad. Cool seeing Bryce Dallas Howard try her hand in directing, though.

Two things that caused some head scratching with me:

- Why did that AT-ST seem robotic and to have a will of it's own? I think the Mandalorian even called it a mech at some point and it was still shooting after the Wrestler lady blew the cockpit up. Did Favreau somehow forget that AT-ST's have pilots and aren't robots?

- How the hell do those tracking fobs work? The first episode I could kinda roll with the explanation 'The fobs just pinpoint a bountry hunter to the closest location the target was last spotted', but how the hell did the tracking fob ever point that one bounty hunter towards that tiny town in the middle of nowhere? It seemed to point him to the exact location the Mandalorian was at. Surely if tracking fobs are that accurate, running wouldn't be very sensible. Or are we supposed to believe that somehow someone at that village ratted them out?

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the show will have mini arcs like TCW.

Next chapter will start a 2 chapter -arc according to the descriptions.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like the show will have mini arcs like TCW.

Next chapter will start a 2 chapter -arc according to the descriptions.
Hmm, not too sure what to think about that if true. I just want them to get on with the storyline they started with the first three episodes (what the hell is 'Baby Yoda' and what does the Emperial Remnant want with it?) instead of just constantly be side-tracked. Hell, if this is the way they'll do it, I wish they would've made Baby Yoda a three-episode arc instead of making him the main plot.

Oct 28, 2017
this show is honestly pretty embarrassing and the online discourse it creates in its wake is just the cherry on top.

there's just nothing to it at all, it's extremely vapid with increasingly more awkward writing and even more questionable acting.

I mean I'm not above thinking Baby Yoda is the cutest thing to ever be put on screen but this show is literally just adult men playing with toys.

I'm not above enjoying shows about adult men playing with toys. See: the CW superhero universe, Stargate, etc.

I think the specific issue here is that this show is stuck somewhere in the middle. It clearly doesn't have the writing chops to elicit any form of emotional response but it doesn't want to lean into the silliness either. It doesn't help that the plot has been pretty meandering so far.

But hey, Mandalorians are cool and baby Yoda is shamelessly exploitative - but effectively so, so I'll probably keep watching.

Oct 25, 2017
I've liked the series overall, but this wasn't a great episode and if that's all we get of Gina Carano I'm going to be pissed.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
I'm not above enjoying shows about adult men playing with toys. See: the CW superhero universe, Stargate, etc.
hm okay maybe this show just inherently isn't for me then as I don't really like those shows either. But I do sincerely love Star Wars so I'm hoping I'll enjoy this more, because, and I swear I'm not saying this to be contrarian, episode 4 was my favorite (or 2nd favorite) so far.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

see, to me it's like a serialized version of Kung Fu (the series). Which is itself a kind of Western bastardization, having already been back and forth at least once.

it's actually quite old fashioned in approach. It's obviously not for everybody. But I do appreciate the spareness and singular focus of it. "Small" stories. It's the sort of thing I would have imagined is going on in the rest of the SW universe.

I particularly loved the stalker droid helping near the weird blue shrimp pools, such a McQuarrie style detail.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I have to agree with some of the lean-negative opinions here. It's so reliant on western/ronin genre movies that it really hurts the narrative. I love baby Yoda as much as any other human being with a functional heart but I really wish it was doing something "more".

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Now this is starting to read like a Star Wars thread.

First of all, y'all need to learn what a filler episode is. A filler episode is when a main character die, then for the next 6 episodes we have the cast figure out the mystery of the locked closet, then show goes back to the main plot and ends the season with the main character funeral.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
This whole "this is a game" thing is hilarious, and one of those clear moments of "ResetEra has a reeeeeeally small frame of reference for visual media".
It's true, and you hear gamer jargon deployed around conversations outside of Star Wars as well. Comparing TV or films (or books, which I've also heard) to games isn't always inappropriate, but I think it actually does a disservice to games and other mediums when the comparison is so uniformly reductive and disparaging.

Also, in this case, it's just fucking stupid. Star Wars fans should have no trouble identifying what sources The Mandalorian is actually drawing on.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

the detective mode bit in episode 4 was when it went too far for me and became more than a funny joke. literally had the 3 points of interest highlighted, with some dialogue to click through for each one to piece together what happened. doesn't help that the writing/acting isn't great furthering the video game comparisons. someone could just edit in button prompts and text boxes and it'd be a dead ringer.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
This show reminds me a bit of how Rebels started. There was an initial plot hook to get things rolling, and then from there they had several episodes of "Monster of the Week" type stuff, with very little plot advancement. But over time, it really delved into a lot of themes and lore/plot that really set it apart. Filoni ran that show, and he has a lot of input on this one, so I can only imagine where this will eventually go.

The different sect of the Way of Mandalore is only a starting point, there is 1000% no possible way that it is ignored going forward. We are going to revisit that Tribe and learn more about how and why they are different from other Mandalorians.

The hints from Twitter of actors filming scenes for S2 only reaffirms that for me. A lot of these complaints about lack of story structure and plot are almost certainly going to be addressed going forward, these initial episodes almost have to just be set-ups to set the stage for what is to come. Gina Carano will almost certainly be back, Werner Herzog will almost certainly be back, the Imperial Remnant is going to play a bigger part, and we are going to get Lore dumps all over the place.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Now this is starting to read like a Star Wars thread.

First of all, y'all need to learn what a filler episode is. A filler episode is when a main character die, then for the next 6 episodes we have the cast figure out the mystery of the locked closet, then show goes back to the main plot and ends the season with the main character funeral.

Honestly the issue was far more production values than plot. It was cast, lit, lensed, edited, and scored like a mid budget TV show in comparison to the prior three. Can't believe we had a Walker Texas Ranger episode and yet people are losing their minds over whether Rian Johnson should be allowed to shoot a season 2 ep.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This show reminds me a bit of how Rebels started. There was an initial plot hook to get things rolling, and then from there they had several episodes of "Monster of the Week" type stuff, with very little plot advancement. But over time, it really delved into a lot of themes and lore/plot that really set it apart. Filoni ran that show, and he has a lot of input on this one, so I can only imagine where this will eventually go.

The different sect of the Way of Mandalore is only a starting point, there is 1000% no possible way that it is ignored going forward. We are going to revisit that Tribe and learn more about how and why they are different from other Mandalorians.

The hints from Twitter of actors filming scenes for S2 only reaffirms that for me. A lot of these complaints about lack of story structure and plot are almost certainly going to be addressed going forward, these initial episodes almost have to just be set-ups to set the stage for what is to come. Gina Carano will almost certainly be back, Werner Herzog will almost certainly be back, the Imperial Remnant is going to play a bigger part, and we are going to get Lore dumps all over the place.
I'm sure there will be more lore and stuff as things go on, like you say, the problem is that despite that (imo) Rebels was never truly was great. It just had moments of greatness. And the reason for that is the main cast just wasn't especially strong + the writing was weak. Now, in that situation it was somewhat "Weak on purpose" because it was intentionally targeted at kids and thus dumbed down. Here though I feel like it's not weak on purpose, and instead just weak because 1. The Mandalorian isn't an especially deep or nuanced character and 2. Favreau is clearly not a particularly good writer.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Was gonna wait till all episodes were available, but I was too curious about baby Yoda, so I watched all four episodes yesterday.

First of all, the show is amazing. It looks gorgeous. I'm loving the story. Baby Yoda.

And like I was telling a friend, this show proves that my apathy towards Episode IX has nothing to do with Star Wars fatigue.

Oct 25, 2017

Yup every Star Wars tv series has trouble finding its pacing and framing at the start, this just feels more enjoyable because its simple, more straightforward and less side characters to deal with.
S2 will likely have everything completely ironed out.

Has it been mentioned if Filoni is definitely returning for S2?

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
This felt like a Stargate sg1 ep a bit, but I liked it a bunch. More than ep 3

Guess I wasn't alone!

Yeah, this formula is fun, was cool to see it in play for a bit.

Hah, exactly what I thought and had to search in the thread. Quite a few felt the same way I see. Pretty much the SG formula, go to a weird planet, help its local inhabitants against something bad. It was still pretty ok though, not bad.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Why did that AT-ST seem robotic and to have a will of it's own? I think the Mandalorian even called it a mech at some point and it was still shooting after the Wrestler lady blew the cockpit up. Did Favreau somehow forget that AT-ST's have pilots and aren't robots?

She didn't blow up the cockpit. She just got a shot in there. Probably threw a bunch of sparks and got the pilot knocked around.

How the hell do those tracking fobs work? The first episode I could kinda roll with the explanation 'The fobs just pinpoint a bountry hunter to the closest location the target was last spotted', but how the hell did the tracking fob ever point that one bounty hunter towards that tiny town in the middle of nowhere? It seemed to point him to the exact location the Mandalorian was at. Surely if tracking fobs are that accurate, running wouldn't be very sensible. Or are we supposed to believe that somehow someone at that village ratted them out?

The fobs point to baby Yoda. That's how Mando found him in the first place. That's why he can't leave him in the village. He can't leave him anywhere.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
My dude the latest episode literally had detective mode with points of interests
lol, yeah, you could actually be reductive like this about pretty much all action movies.
Except that we don't, because... they aren't as video-gamey. There's a reason why we all say that about this show, and it's because it's immensely obvious. I like the show, but let's not kid ourselves, every episode has been as shallow as a side-quest so far with a whole load of gaming mission tropes to accompany them.

Status
Not open for further replies.