• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
Do you think, that maybe, they might explore that plot line...in the coming episodes? That haven't been released?

Man, being able to binge shows has really done a number on people's sense of patience, huh.
I mean, obviously that's a possibilty, yes, and one what wouldn't surprise me at all.
But considering that he left the planet without her and they had a whole intimate moment where she tried to take his helmet off and NOBODY, not even him, questioned her skills even once (yet we got Gina Carano's backstory, who, while a much more important character, wasn't his love interest) and the whole thing felt really rushed.

If they don't actually resolve that plotline in a future episode, that's just really bad writing.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't think this show is outstanding in a vacuum but as a Star Wars fan it's basically perfect and proves that live action episodic (ha) content works very well in this universe.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Not like the bandit camp had a map to the AT-ST's location.

Indeed, he had footprint vision on the raiders and they saw huge AT-ST tracks with their eyes in the woods but all of that including their eyes stopped working in the bandit camp, I guess the bandits had scramblers?

This show lost credibility with ep2 when they causally re-assembled the spaceship and flew into the vacuum of space with it.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I mean, obviously that's a possibilty, yes, and one what wouldn't surprise me at all.
But considering that he left the planet without her and they had a whole intimate moment where she tried to take his helmet off and NOBODY, not even him, questioned her skills even once (yet we got Gina Carano's backstory, who, while a much more important character, wasn't his love interest) and the whole thing felt really rushed.

If they don't actually resolve that plotline in a future episode, that's just really bad writing.
She's a jedi. Bet 100

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
That's more of a Mandalorian thing than anything else.
The Mando's prowess & status is shown through his armor, weapons etc ..
In the beginning he doesn't have anything with Beskar steel (except the helmet I think), so he gets a pauldron.
Then he gets the chestpiece and other pauldrons + the little birds.

It's explained better in the EU but yeah, they really need to do some worldbuilding in you're going in completely blank.

See I think the show makes this all pretty clear, the reverence of getting the armor made, how the beskar is special and considered something that can be used as payment. Getting new armor that is shown to be able to take hits from blaster fire and survive. They don't need many words but this is all pretty easy to figure out.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
What if they do a subtle change in the intro to make the light that flashes across the Mandalorian helmet blue instead of red?
I keep waiting for it to happen.

Oct 25, 2017

I don't like this show at all but not exploring every potential character beat is not bad writing. It was all in all a minor moment it doesn't need exploration.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Was an OK episode. Felt like pretty bog standard TV, like something from Stargate SG 1, rather than uniquely Star Wars.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Show continues to be great. liked the change of pace and place, excited for next week.
Baby Yoda is the cutest
that bit with the waitress had me smiling
Lothcat easter egg was hype
Cara punching Mando so hard is feet go in the air was hilarious
want some soup

Oct 30, 2017
Also I couldn't look at that one native dude without thinking about how he wouldn't let Michael Scott call the office to get someone to pick him up after Jim leaves him at the gas station bathroom.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"this is the way" feels immediately iconic and strong enough to stand with the other great phrases on the sw universe

okdakor

Oct 26, 2017
France
One can only suspend their disbelief to a certain level.

It's Star Wars, the level has been up the roof since the beginning... Rocket Racoon has a magical techno spray that repairs his ship... You really want them to spend 2 seasons repairing a damaged ship (and die in the final when they reach the atmosphere ?

Dec 31, 2017
It's Star Wars, the level has been up the roof since the beginning... Rocket Racoon has a magical techno spray that repairs his ship... You really want them to spend 2 seasons repairing a damaged ship (and die in the final when they reach the atmosphere ?
The simple solution is not to introduce it as a plot element to begin with.. The Jawas only needed to steal one vital component to render the ship dormant. It would have saved us that ridiculous 5 second repair montage. It's schlock writing at its finest.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
it doesn't have the dramatic chops of a prestige show but it also doesn't have the likeable leads or fun one-off characters that you'd want with the case of the week program. It's a big bag of nothing.

It has no value except as a baby Yoda GIF delivery system
I'm starting to think this might be the issue for me. There's no "meat" to this series so far. It's barebones. I thought the first episode and the third episode were great. But I think we have a better clue of what the plot is now... and I don't think it's gonna do it for me. And a part of me is getting tired of baby Yoda. I get it. He's cute. I was hoping they would leave him on the planet honestly. Now that the bounty hunter thing went to shit I'm not sure about the direction this series is headed in.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
it doesn't have the dramatic chops of a prestige show but it also doesn't have the likeable leads or fun one-off characters that you'd want with the case of the week program. It's a big bag of nothing.

It has no value except as a baby Yoda GIF delivery system
Hell, for all the clusterfuck that Game of Thrones became it still had 1) interesting characters, 2) a compelling, serialized story, and 3) interesting commentary on the nature of political power. The Mandalorian briefly raises an interesting point about the fall of the Empire leaving anarchy in its wake, but does absolutely nothing interesting with it (such as bringing in a New Republican character to try and/or fail to provide a counterpart).

Episode 4 was Seven Samurai/The Magnificent Seven IN SPACE with two mercs defending the peaceful villagers, but it completely ignores the moral of Magnificent Seven where the peaceful villagers fuck over the gunslingers. So there's nothing there but a cool action bang bang scene.

Dec 31, 2017
I'm starting to think this might be the issue for me. There's no "meat" to this series so far. It's barebones. I thought the first episode and the third episode were great. But I think we have a better clue of what the plot is now... and I don't think it's gonna do it for me. And a part of me is getting tired of baby Yoda. I get it. He's cute. I was hoping they would leave him on the planet honestly. Now that the bounty hunter thing went to shit I'm not sure about the direction this series is headed in.

The only way this show is going to generate long-term "heat" with viewers is if the Imperials get the Child back for a couple of episodes and he forced to assemble a team to get it back.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Punching him flush on his beskar helmet with her bare fists and knocking him down used up MY quota of suspension of disbelief

Armor doesn't stop a physical hit from knocking a person down. Ever get hit while wearing a helmet? You still feel an impact and can be knocked out, get whiplash. Armor doesn't stop physical kinetic blows, it just prevents the damage done and penetration. But a physical blow is still going to knock your head around and you don't just ignore it. Folks who do full metal medieval dueling know how hard those hits still feel, especially in the head. Your head is getting smacked around with sudden impacts in a tight helmet, your head and neck don't just ignore that.

Body armor doesn't fully stop attacks from doing any damage and body armor does only so much against kinetic blows, as it's still flesh inside that armor.

The most unrealistic thing about the scene is Cara punching him and not feeling it in her fists. Yea she could knock him down but her fist probably will be smarting hardcore

Last edited:

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
The simple solution is not to introduce it as a plot element to begin with.. The Jawas only needed to steal one vital component to render the ship dormant. It would have saved us that ridiculous 5 second repair montage. It's schlock writing at its finest.
This.
Honestly the writing in this show is absolutely horrendous, by far the worst I have seen this year in a "premium" TV show.
Favreau is really not a good writer. And he's already back for Season 2... yikes.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Do we know who directed the upcoming episode?
I wonder when we meet Ming-Na Wen or Giancarlo. This cast is so cool.
Mando hopefully meets back up with his squad at some point too.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Something that has surprised me is that the other cast members like Taika, Herzog, Nolte, are getting one or two episodes of screentime and then they are done (seemingly). I wonder if we don't see anymore of cara or omera and this is the way it is. It's an interesting choice, i guess i expected a little more of a squad type thing with IG-11, Nolte naught and Cara. But really our focal point is just Mando and bb yoda. I'm not complaining, just noting a difference of expectation vs reality.

okdakor

Oct 26, 2017
France
The kid first words will be "the way this is" after Mando toast Herzog with his flamethrower in the last scene of season 1.

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
58e474ff-9ff3-4b2e-894k0o.jpeg

Godamn.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 5 description.

This is the synopsis for Chapter 5, written and directed by Dave Filoni:

The Mandalorian helps a rookie bounty hunter who is in over his head.

I think its going to be a TCW/ Rebels character.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 5 description.

This is the synopsis for Chapter 5, written and directed by Dave Filoni:

The Mandalorian helps a rookie bounty hunter who is in over his head.

I think its going to be a TCW character.
timing-wise if you was going to pull the character from a series it would probably make more sense for a rebels

I can't think of anybody off the top of my head

Status
Not open for further replies.