• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
I'm amazed someone got so upset about a fictional character hitting another fictional character that they copped a ban over it.

Talk about suspension of disbelief.

OT: loved the 'save the village' episode. Still loving Yodaling.

What's the next Kung-Fu episode to get remade? Mando treading on rice paper while in training?

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Had super low expectations (and was ready to dismiss/bash it) but absolutely loving this show - the vibe, the writing, the music, the characters, the plot all fit Star Wars so well in a really intelligent, intriguing way.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the newest one, wasn't a fan. Soon as the village asked if they could fight I groaned. It was so by the books it hurt, montage training complete with the comedy relief fighters and the one person who has unexplained skills in fighting that's suppose to surprise everyone. Then the whole time I'm thinking "A bunch of teddy bears beat these things with rocks and logs, why are you scared?!?"

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
What is it exactly that you like so much about her directing?
Well, as somebody who didn't care for the first three episodes of this show, I can say that the characters actually feel like they had some sort of meaning, interactions were fun, Yodel's tie in with the villagers was sweet.. there was just a sense of actual humanity and not just "the adventures of Helmet Man and the cute baby".

It's little things like the village lady/love interest walking away, and Cara with a huge smirk on her face, waiting to work in how to ask Mando if he's basically gunna stay and marry her/start a new life. Character moments. Interactions of some kind that opens up some dialogue/a chance for some banter. Intense fighting then, "want some soup..?", hard cut to eating soup. These things make me smile and felt like some of the SW spirit we'd see out of the OT.

Seeing Yodel interact with the village kids, grow attached to them. The tearful goodbye from the girl who got to know Yodel/wanted them to stay.

Obviously there were issues with the plotting and writing, but in terms of direction, I thought the episode was quite well done and, for the first time, gave me a reason to care about any of these people we're seeing onscreen, even if reliant on cliches and a little generic. But again, to me, those issues have more to do with the writing than anything else.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The AT-ST was weird. Were they trying to make it seem like a droid? It was all tentative and weird about stepping into that water. Also wow, they really dug it deep, lol.

I dunno, I got real GoT season 8 vibes in how that battle was staged. Just not really convincing.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I'm still surprised so many people got riled up about a woman knowing how to shoot. And that we need an entire backstory for her. I mean, sure? A short comic or novel would be dope a few years down the line, but how is it that some people need an explanation for her knowing how to shoot? In a franchise called Star Wars? Princess Leia wasn't given a backstory before seeing her fire a blaster in the first few minutes of ANH, and nobody questioned that for years. It just made her interesting.

There's dozens of scenarios audiences can imagine, from their experience with these archetypes in tons of stories; pick one and move on. She wasn't THAT important anyway.

Dec 12, 2017
Well, as somebody who didn't care for the first three episodes of this show, I can say that the characters actually feel like they had some sort of meaning, interactions were fun, Yodel's tie in with the villagers was sweet.. there was just a sense of actual humanity and not just "the adventures of Helmet Man and the cute baby".

It's little things like the village lady/love interest walking away, and Cara with a huge smirk on her face, waiting to work in how to ask Mando if he's basically gunna stay and marry her/start a new life. Character moments. Interactions of some kind that opens up some dialogue/a chance for some banter. Intense fighting then, "want some soup..?", hard cut to eating soup. These things make me smile and felt like some of the SW spirit we'd see out of the OT.

Seeing Yodel interact with the village kids, grow attached to them. The tearful goodbye from the girl who got to know Yodel/wanted them to stay.

Obviously there were issues with the plotting and writing, but in terms of direction, I thought the episode was quite well done and, for the first time, gave me a reason to care about any of these people we're seeing onscreen, even if reliant on cliches and a little generic. But again, to me, those issues have more to do with the writing than anything else.
Yodling

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
aZyvE04.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 4 was about on par with episode 3. Might've even liked it more. I liked how they built up the AT-ST as being the boss of this episode rather than a certain Return of the Jedi that just make them cartoon characters. Could've done without the villagers being tropey as fuck villagers but everything else I thought was good.

I'm hoping the actual fighting ramps up the interesting. Mando scaling the Jawa crawler was that last thing I remember having an above-average time with concerning action.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yea I didn't get that at all. We weren't supposed to care about the people aside from the Mandalorian, baby Yoda and the tribe. Cara was cool (why is she a one episode character? maybe we'll see her again later. Seems probable), but the other characters here were complete throwaways. The romance beat made no sense. And it just felt completely off. This was like a last 4th of a film attacked by the raiders before he sets off from the women he loves on a dangerous journey kind of story. But like a week after he meets her. They tried to 7 samurai it, and it was bad. For me the worst episode yet, not sure what Howard and the writers were thinking here. Just felt oddly juxtaposed as an episode for me.

But hey, opinions right.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Also, reading this thread makes me wonder just how the hell Star Wars is supposed to survive with such disparate fan base that strongly believes the franchise must be one way or the other.

The Mandalorian has come the closest in recent years (and TFA, Rogue One, too) I guess, but it's too soon to tell what it is that everybody is expecting from the series In the end. It's best bet is likely a multi-faceted approach in the form a different types of series and movies. Who knows if there will ever be another BIG Star Wars movie ever that will be made to please everybody like the OT and TFA did.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yea I didn't get that at all. We weren't supposed to care about the people aside from the Mandalorian, baby Yoda and the tribe. Cara was cool (why is she a one episode character? maybe we'll see her again later. Seems probable), but the other characters here were complete throwaways. The romance beat made no sense. And it just felt completely off. This was like a last 4th of a film attacked by the raiders before he sets off from the women he loves on a dangerous journey kind of story. But like a week after he meets her. They tried to 7 samurai it, and it was bad. For me the worst episode yet, not sure what Howard was thinking here.
I'm not saying we weren't supposed to care for them. I'm saying, I didn't feel like I actually cared about them until this episode, for the reasons I listed above. I also said the plotting and writing still felt generic, but the character moments made me really enjoy this episode, and that is in large part a quality of the direction.

Also, reviews online seem to be generally as strong as the other episodes, poking around online and looking at RT:
7.75 average, in line with the other episodes

To be honest I was a little surprised to see some of the reactions in this thread. I didn't think it was significantly more generic or cliche than most of the other content we've seen so far. Only thing that really stood out to me was that it looked a little cheaper than the other episodes, mainly in the village areas.

Last edited:

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying we weren't supposed to care for them. I'm saying, I didn't feel like I actually cared about them until this episode, for the reasons I listed above. I also said the plotting and writing still felt generic, but the character moments made me really enjoy this episode, and that is in large part a quality of the direction.

Also, reviews online seem to be generally as strong as the other episodes, poking around online and looking at RT:
7.75 average, in line with the other episodes

To be honest I was a little surprised to see some of the reactions in this thread. I didn't think it was significantly more generic or cliche than most of the other content we've seen so far. Only thing that really stood out to me was that it looked a little cheaper than the other episodes, mainly in the village areas.
Well I mean all that's gauging is thumbs up thumbs down. Which I hate as a matrix for reviews. It's not granular at all. I also didn't dislike the episode, I wouldn't thumb it down. I just feel personally it was the weakest episode and aside from Cara I don't think it added very much.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Fwiw, I like the 4th episode. Felt different from the first three, but it's kinda like a break I suppose and I don't mind that.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Well I mean all that's gauging is thumbs up thumbs down. Which I hate as a matrix for reviews. It's not granular at all. I also didn't dislike the episode, I wouldn't thumb it down. I just feel personally it was the weakest episode and aside from Cara I don't think it added very much.
No, I listed the average review score, and it's line with the others (you'll see reviews with 4/5, 7/10, etc). The percentage (93%) is thumbs up or down.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No it's all good, was just saying that I'm surprised this thread didn't line up with the reviews, which are still very positive and not out of the ordinary. I thought it was at least as good as the others.
I think it just felt wierd. I think what really threw me off was the kind of, you had a long journey, it time to settle down implications and the kind of romantic inspirations between people who seemingly barely knew each other. That just felt so rushed/forced to me. I think that's what bothered me, made this episode feel like it didn't fit right for me.

I get what they wanted to do, which was to humanize the Mandalorian and give him that attachment to baby Yoda being a child, like he was when he became a Mandalorian. To tempt him to want Baby Yoda to be able to lead a normal life, not like his. But I don't think it was very successful at doing that, and kind of felt unecessary to do in that way.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Show is still strong. Feels like Disney is testing the waters here and there for star wars to branch into Stargate/Star Trek/Battlestar serialization territory, but its nowhere near that level in yerms of quality and I love what they are doing with the Lone Ranger vibe they got going on. Dude lands on a planet, turns out it has trouble, there is also a rogue who is using the planet to lay low, the team up to takr care of trouble, they beat the bandits, and at the end it turns out they are being tracked. It's an existing story, but the show was effective in telling it with a Stat Wars flavor.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 4 was a huge downgrade after episode 3. So far, every episode(except for maybe the 3rd episode) feels a bit rushed because of the 30 min runtime.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Something I think a lot of people aren't taking into consideration is that this AT-ST was not piloted by an imperial. The way it acted and attacked was likely entirely self taught, whether that means it acted smarter or dumber than an imperial pilot is up for debate, but I would say it worth considering for your discussions.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
You know, before the AT-ST reveal, when they saw the huge footprint (but before they let us see it), I was really really hoping that the raiders had a Gorax on their side. Favreau is all about the Ewok movies, so my eyes are always alert to easter eggs.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Chapter 5 description.

This is the synopsis for Chapter 5, written and directed by Dave Filoni:

The Mandalorian helps a rookie bounty hunter who is in over his head.

I think its going to be a TCW/ Rebels character.

I think this might turn out to be
IG-11. We know the show's not done with him, and he certainly seemed a little... green.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
Anyone else think they're playing it safe and simple with their first show, much like they did with the movies with The Force Awakens? Maybe we'll get more depth of plot and character and relationship exploration in future shows...

As a D&D GM, I find The Dragon Prince is the game I want to run, The Mandalorian is the game I often end up running because I'm lazy.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Anyone else think they're playing it safe and simple with their first show, much like they did with the movies with The Force Awakens? Maybe we'll get more depth of plot and character and relationship exploration in future shows...

As a D&D GM, I find The Dragon Prince is the game I want to run, The Mandalorian is the game I often end up running because I'm lazy.
The show is basically like live action clone wars in pace in how slow and focused on world building it is. Obviously this makes sense all things considered. However there isn't a large scale overacting plot nor episodes that really show any attempts so far to expand the lore rather than reside primarily in stuff we already know. We'll see where it all goes.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I expect each D+ SW series to be different. The Obi-Wan series is expected to be 6 chapters - a hour long each.

I watch a lot of "prestige tv shows" but there is nothing like the mandalorian currently airing on TV lol.

Kinda refreshing.

Status
Not open for further replies.