• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
In Disney canon Palpatine specifically made sure to spread as much propaganda about the jedi as possible on top of deleting nearly 100% of their records. So the people who were kids and/or born during that time had zero exposure to what the jedi order was like.

Yup. One of the few things I liked about the Force Collector book is that kids even in the ST era either don't believe that the Jedi were even real (which fits somewhat with Rey in TFA) or buy into the old Imperial propaganda that they were all traitors.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
that's dumb though because it seems like sw Empire is far less of a surveillance state than the modern USA.
I mean, take Fallen Order's opening as an example, look how fast the inquisitors came to Bracca when there was just a rumor that there was a jedi there. Palpatine really wasn't playing around and none of the dissent could really be made public. So even if you knew the story about the jedi being traitors at the very least sounded fishy and/or was total bullshit, unless you were joining the rebellion holding your tongue was still a far better alternative than what the empire would do to you. And it's fucked up because it becomes increasingly normalized in the galaxy until a full on rebellion is needed.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Why does every episode have to be linked with a larger plot?

I hear this criticism a lot and it feels a bit unfair. Guess maybe because I haven't seen a modern mainstream TV show in a while and that's the normal now?

Everyone loves "Cinematic Universes" these days

I remember when Logan came out, people were complaining about the "timeline not making sense." The best thing that movie did was not give a fuck about other X-men continuties

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw the latest episode. Why did they let Ming Na get murked like that? She actually brought a significant presence/atmosphere to the show in the couple of minutes she had onscreen. I would've kept her around for another episode.

I agree that the standalone nature is much better than every single episode being connected.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
ELcAasHXYAIsduh

Dec 31, 2017
Mando is a Bounty hunter, and quite well known - since he has his own ship.
You'll actually find that owning your own ship is kinda essential to being a bounty hunter in the Star Wars universe.
It's pretty clear, from the dialogue of the show he is only well-known "in the parsec" <---quote from the show.
you're telling me that he would not know that the most famous Mandalorian in recent memory was Boba Fett, and that he brought Han Solo to Jabba and died while Luke Skywalker orchestrated a rescue?
Jabba didn't know who Luke Skywalker was when he met him. Fett didn't really consider him a threat and ignored him at Jabba's Palace. He didn't even consider him a threat on the Desert Skiff until he had taken out a couple of guards. Too bad there were no witness to Luke's greatness.
Also, the Stormtroopers on Endor referred to Luke as "this rebel".
And you don't think the Rebellion propagnda spreading of a moisture farmer named Luke Skywalker blew up the Death Star would get to the outer rim - especially his home planet of Tattooine?
What Rebellion propaganda? The Rebels were living out of caves or were nomads five years prior to the show.
Given last week's episode, Mando is quite well versed in the top Bounties and other hunters.
It's clear from the show that Mando is a local operator and his preferred modus operandi is under the radar. His ignorance of the Force suggests he is ignorant of Jedi. His ignorance of Jedi supports an inference he is ignorant who Luke Skywalker is.

Last edited:

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So... Kind of complaining about something that's been there from the start. But how exactly do tracking fobs work? And doesn't it seem kind of a dumb idea as a plot point. Like having locational data for them to start an investigation is interesting. But fobs that track across the Galaxy on a target based on what exactly? I'm just not sure I really understand why they would introduce something like that. Wouldn't they be able to find rebels basically immediately, secret bases etc with fobs?

Dec 31, 2017
So... Kind of complaining about something that's been there from the start. But how exactly do tracking fobs work? And doesn't it seem kind of a dumb idea as a plot point. Like having locational data for them to start an investigation is interesting. But fobs that track across the Galaxy on a target based on what exactly? I'm just not sure I really understand why they would introduce something like that. Wouldn't they be able to find rebels basically immediately, secret bases etc with fobs?
It's a completely unnecessary plot device that covers for lazy writing. It's functions have been wildly inconsistent throughout the show.

The stupidest use of the fob was in the last episode when Mando demands the fob from Toro only for him to smash it and say "Don't worry, I have it all memorized". Not sure what exactly he had memorized. The last known location? What if she moved to another location? It was only through blind luck they found another tracking fob.

Last edited:

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I mentioned this last week as well after seeing the Bryce Dallas Howard episode. What's the point of hiding out when a single tracking fob is apparently able to perfectly pinpoint your location from across the Galaxy? This episode was even more ridiculous about it then the last one.

It's a completely unnecessary plot device that covers for lazy writing. It's functions have been wildly inconsistent throughout the show.

The stupidest use of the fob was in the last episode when Mando demands the fob from Toro only for him to smash it and say "Don't worry, I have it all memorized". Not sure what exactly he had memorized. The last known location? What if she moved to another location? It was only through blind luck they found another tracking fob.
Quite a feat, too. To memorize which sandy dune she was at on a desert planet.

Last edited:

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
The fobs have precision in "digits".
Best precision goes beyond planets, poor precision a few kilometers i would guess when you go "4digits" or less.
Seems to be based on something magical though (how the fridge does this work ? magic smell ?)

When they got hold of yoby they increased the signature precision i would say, so they could track him much farther. That's how i took it anyway even if i am far off.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Is it just me or the show feels like it could work as a video game? getting bounties and traveling to different planets, could be pretty fun.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
You know what, the FoBs are dumb. I'm all for suspension of disbelief, but this is too much, lol.

How do these things even work. At least explain it with magic or something. Does it have DNA imbedded in it? He can smell dna from across the galaxy wih magic? Do the fobs come from the Jedi? Do they use the force implanted from Jedi/Sith magic?

Wtf man!!!! Haha.

Dec 31, 2017
Yeah, I mentioned this last week as well after seeing the Bryce Dallas Howard episode. What's the point of hiding out when a single tracking fob is apparently able to perfectly pinpoint your location from across the Galaxy? This episode was even more ridiculous about it then the last one.
I am prepared to give the writers the benefit of the doubt on that one and assume word go out about his feat in defeating the AT-ST (apparently several weeks passed). Mando even suggested that would be the case in his conversation with Cara Dune.

Dec 31, 2017
You know what, the FoBs are dumb. I'm all for suspension of disbelief, but this is too much, lol.

How do these things even work. At least explain it with magic or something. Does it have DNA imbedded in it? He can smell dna from across the galaxy wih magic? Do the fobs come from the Jedi? Do they use the force implanted from Jedi/Sith magic?

Wtf man!!!! Haha.

"They employ multi frequency biometric scanning technology to triangulate a metric bypass spacial geo-location based on a pre-defined nucleic spectroscopic algorithm and the targets' heat signature after rotospanning said signature through a micro-gamma vectoring compensator"

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I am prepared to give the writers the benefit of the doubt on that one and assume word go out about his feat in defeating the AT-ST (apparently several weeks passed). Mando even suggested that would be the case in his conversation with Cara Dune.
While true, the show also explicitly places the planet in the episode as some backwater planet that has basically nothing more advanced than droids. It doesn't even have a proper spaceport. Furthermore, that village they're in is in the middle of nowhere. So while technically word could've gone out across the galaxy about the AT-ST battle, it seems quite farfetched going from the information provided in the episode.

Dec 31, 2017
While true, the show also explicitly places the planet in the episode as some backwater planet that has basically nothing more advanced than droids. It doesn't even have a proper spaceport. Furthermore, that village they're in is in the middle of nowhere. So while technically word could've gone out across the galaxy about the AT-ST battle, it seems quite farfetched going from the information provided in the episode.
Indeed. It's highly implausible and I don't want to give the impression that I am covering for shoddy writing. The line "They know he's here" makes it even worse.

The other possibility is, if indeed the screening order of episodes 4 and 5 were flipped (as somebody argued two pages) then they could have been followed out of Mos Eisley at a large distance. The bounty hunter arrives on the backwater planet and takes him a couple of weeks to track them down, since Mando parked his ship a distance away (which also made no sense after what happened with the Jawas).

Dec 12, 2017
That thread about people petitioning Apple for a Yodling emoji is hilarious. People heated over how over it is with fans and taking it as an opportunity to tell us how they really feel about the show's perceived quality.

You had to know a SW thing couldn't enjoy this much success and positivity without the eventual backlash.

Dec 31, 2017
That thread about people petitioning Apple for a Yodling emoji is hilarious. People heated over how over it is with fans and taking it as an opportunity to tell us how they really feel about the show's perceived quality.

You had to know a SW thing couldn't enjoy this much success and positivity without the eventual backlash.
What success? The only successful thing about the show is how it succeeded in generating free marketing through emotional manipulation.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
The last episode was fine but so far the pilot is still the best one. There are times when this feels like Star Wars and other when this feels like... generic 90's series.

Dec 31, 2017
Millions of people are watching and enjoying it. The overall response to the show is fairly positive. It's ok that you can't see that through your cynicism. 🙂
Considering it's pretty much the only Disney Plus OC, you'd sure hope so.

Also, Star Wars fans are not exactly bastions of literary quality discernment, and I'd say this thread is split 50/50 on what they really think of the show.

Dec 12, 2017
Considering it's pretty much the only Disney Plus OC, you'd hope so.
If the show was objectively trash, you wouldn't have people still tuning in week to week but yes, your subjective opinion supercedes all that.

Also, Star Wars fans are not exactly bastions of literary quality discernment.
Oh i see. You're the "cool guy" fan that has the schtick of looking down on everyone that isn't you. Wow. People still do that I guess. Carry on. 🤭

Dec 31, 2017
If the show was objectively trash, you wouldn't have people still tuning in week to week but yes, your subjective opinion supercedes all that.

Oh i see. You're the "cool guy" fan that has the schtick of looking down on everyone that isn't you. Wow. People still do that I guess. Carry on. 🤭
Why does everything on this forum have to be black or white? Perhaps the premise of the show appeals to me but the quality of the delivery falls below my expectations? Perhaps I am willing to overlook my misgivings in the short-term in the hope that it improves? It's not going to stop me from calling out what I don't like.

Dec 12, 2017
Why does everything on this forum have to be black or white? Perhaps the premise of the show appeals to me but the quality of the delivery falls below my expectations? Perhaps I am willing to overlook my misgivings in the short-term in the hope that it improves? It's not going to stop me from calling out what I don't like.
Lots of people feel that there things that could improve the show. That is a perfectly fine position to have. If you had said that, you would zero pushback from me...but you didn't. You said:

What success? The only successful thing about the show is how it succeeded in generating free marketing through emotional manipulation.

Those aren't the kind of comments one makes when they have a few critiques about a show they claim to still be invested in.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
The thing with the tracking fobs was that wasn't there also a kind of code that was needed for them? Grand Moff Herzog could only give Mando half of the code, but believed that Mando was good enough to be able to find the kid with that info. So what data is in the code? Biometric data probably (why else would he have told Mando that the target was 50 years old?), but I'm also guessing coordinates and proximity information.

We don't know if Mando immediately found the planet Nic Nolte was on, or if he had to search for awhile. And we don't know how long IG-88 had been searching. Nolte's character seemed to indicate that the search for the kid had been going on for awhile, as he had helped many other hunters.

Basically I'm just viewing the fob as a QR code of sorts, that contains a whole shitload of data that needs to be interfaced with a ships nav computer or something, and when close enough to the target begins to act like a GPS beacon.

*shrugs*

That's all I got

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Ep 5 continues with something that has been bugging me and that is that every character that sets eyes on baby yoda immediately kicks into maternal/paternal mode like they are some expert in Yoda lifecycles or care or something. Aliens all around of every shape and size and you immediately think "this thing is a baby I want to hug it" and not "that looks cute but might fart lazers or otherwise might try to ingest me in some way so I'm going to hold up for a minute"

Also obligatory revisit of Tatooine just because I guess.

I appreciate the continued references to Shadows of the Empire though. Fennec was great, hope to maybe(?) see more of her.

Where was the rifle in this episode? Did he lose it in 4? If so, it would debunk an episode switch.
It really stands out as missing when it shows up so much in the art at the end of the episodes.

Last edited:

luqi

Oct 28, 2017
Considering all things, I'm really enjoying the series overall. It gives me a nice Star Wars fix before the movies, it's extremely well produced and an eyegasm to watch most of the time. Well-directed enough and with a nice enough of a script(per episode, in terms of writing) to just chill for 40 minutes and forget about daily life. I think it's a pretty good show for what it's worth. On an episode 5 specific-note, and considering how few of these episodes we're gonna get, I feel like it could've progressed the story further. But hey, we have Yodlings to sell and a season 2 to hype for because >we couldn't fit all the content. I hope the next episode is more fast-paced, but not necessarily action-packed.

Also wtf, he has a disintegration gun but throwing a puck-like bomb with that heck of a helmet is too damn hard? He has at least a few of these, why not strap it to a sling and make it count? But that's just me being a little pedantic.

Status
Not open for further replies.