• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
WTF, come on, Whedon wouldn't do that in Star Wars of all places.

While I enjoyed the show, it's light years behind Firefly in writing and characterization, no question.

I loved Firefly but the stuff about what Whedon would've done made me glad it got cancelled: https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-firefly-episode-were-really-glad-joss-whedon-didnt-5959794

I'm also still mad about Black Widow in Age of Ultron:

Being rendered infertile made her feel unnatural, made her feel cut off from the natural world.

I don't have any faith in him being able to write strong women characters so yeah I'd rather it be bland than problematic if that's the choice I've got.

I'd much rather see some new talent being given a chance though as a pathway to bigger things.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved Firefly but the stuff about what Whedon would've done made me glad it got cancelled: https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-firefly-episode-were-really-glad-joss-whedon-didnt-5959794

I'm also still mad about Black Widow in Age of Ultron:

I don't have any faith in him being able to write strong women characters so yeah I'd rather it be bland than problematic if that's the choice I've got.

I'd much rather see some new talent being given a chance though as a pathway to bigger things.
So, to sum up: Inara gets gang-raped by Reavers, who all die due to her drug use. And this finally convinces Mal to stop slut-shaming her, at least for a while.

I've been a fan of Joss Whedon since 1992, when he wrote an ass-kicking teenage girl character who can locate rape monsters by following her menstrual cramps. Which was before he decided to become a showrunner out of spite because those damn actors in this laughable B-movie were ad-libbing his genius words.

Wait... where was I going with this?

Oh yeah, remember that time when Warner Bros considered hiring Whedon to write a Wonder Woman movie, and he turned in a script that was just page after page of his creepy sex fantasies?

And then WB hired him to punch up the jokes in Zack Snyder's Justice League, to make it more like Avengers, so he included an "LOL, Flash falls face-first into Wonder Woman's boobs" joke (which was a repeat of one of his Avengers "jokes"), and Gal Gadot refused to do it, so Whedon hired a body double, stuck her in the Wonder Woman costume, and made the body double do it.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Only at episode 4 and so far it's great. Baby Yoda is pretty cute.

Gina Carano is great.

Last edited:

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I'm glad most people adjusted their expectation for this series, because some of the takes here are ludicrous.

I love top tier award winning television as well, but The Mandalorian is the side of Star Wars that strives for pulpy action with a more contemporary production. And the first season is a great start to that promise.

The writing is indeed cartoon level in some parts, but I can't lie that just makes it easier to focus on the action, visuals and expansion of the universe. It does feel like a live action Star Wars animated series and... I love it for that? Hope it grows and evolves in season 2, and it has some great talent behind it so I think it's not misplaced hope, but I wouldn't mind if season 2 is just a continuation of this.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got around to watching The Mandalorian on Sunday and really enjoyed the first season. There were some episodes that were slower than others and ones I really enjoyed. One of my favorites is Sanctuary, and the last two episodes were probably my favorite.

I am really looking forward to season 2 later this year.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it finally. I was down on the show after episodes 4 and 5 (4 was decent but 5 was just frustratingly bad as it had a good premise but a silly and boring style) but they ended strongly with 6-8. The acting and writing can be poor at times and I don't like that it feels like a kids show (by sticking with simple moral parables - it is Star Wars after all I guess) but I'm enjoying seeing a different side of the Star Wars world enough to stick around for the second season.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Me and my wife just finished the last three episodes last night. Fuck, this show is a blast, especially the two parter at the end. Poor Kuill. Loved that dude. In fact, the characters, while mostly simply sketches a lot of the time, really work because they're (heavily western) archetypes played by really compelling actors. Pascal, Carrano, Weathers, and Esposito are fantastic in their roles. Can't wait to see more of Esposito next season. Gina Carrano is great as Cara Dune, and that's straight down to Carranos charisma in the role (she's not a spectacular actor, I agree, but she does really well here).

Pedro Pascal is great as the Man with No Name (who ends up having a name) archetype, and I fucking love Baby Yoda (my wife got pissed everytime Baby Yoda was in trouble haha).

Specific moment call outs in the finale (great episode of television):

Those two stormtrooper dickheads. So funny. Taika is a gem. Hope they come back with limps in the next season.

IG-11 is a motherfucking G. That whole speeder bike into full tilt gun battle scene was fantastic and better than most battles in the sequel trilogy for me. It was thrilling and I loved the music and atmosphere. Hope there's some way to bring him back.

Can't wait for season 2. And Gideon with the darksaber, wtf

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I liked this show a lot, and I don't even care that much for Star Wars or Westerns. This show was everything The Rise of Skywalker was not, and that was a very good thing.
The Star Wars universe shines the most when presented in a smaller, more detailed, more personal scale and from the perspective of a non-overpowered hero. I felt so much more immersed in the universe and I was more rooting and scared for the characters. Some episodes, especially the last two, had me on the edge of my seat. That never happens to me for the big Star Wars movies.
I just wished each episode was a bit longer though. The episodes and series in general was over so fast. Binge watched it in one afternoon.
Damn, now I can't wait for season 2 to arrive. :(

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
the "baby yoda" moniker really bugs me. Yoda was the dude's name, not his race. And the child is not Yoda. So, I wish they'd given the child a race or name so we could stop the pop culture name....

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
This LED wall technology is some mindblowing stuff.

8JPPwQX_d.jpg

oauQflm_d.jpg

zgZmdgl_d.jpg

02mh3gI_d.jpg

More here: https://m.imgur.com/gallery/G1nIFMU

Last edited:

pedrothelion

Oct 28, 2017
Was there ever any confirmation on who the character was at the end of episode 5 (you only see his feet and the bottom of his cape?. Was this Giancarlo Esposito's character or someone different?

blazinglazers

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
The LED volume tech is an absolute game changer. This is a real inflection point for the industry where game engines (in this case UE4) are going to completely alter blockbuster pipelines. You're going to see pre&post shops switch over to UE4 workflows, so the same assets travel all the way from previs to final pixels on screen. Especially if you're an IP that already has an extensive 3D asset library from vfx or games. I believe Dune, Batman, and several other big shows are currently *deep* into this.

Special shout outs to the geniuses at Lux Machina & Epic for making this magic possible.

Oct 25, 2017
Was there ever any confirmation on who the character was at the end of episode 5 (you only see his feet and the bottom of his cape?. Was this Giancarlo Esposito's character or someone different?
That tease remains without payoff, presumably to return in season 2.
Though it's like 90% intended to make us believe that it's Boba.
Though making us believe it's Boba and it actually being Boba are not necessarily the same conclusion. We'll see.

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Finished this last night and found it pretty meh. It's definitely the scale of stories I prefer to see in the star wars universe, but I find the Mandalorian mythology to be pretty dumb and the plot reminds me of fetch quests in an RPG. I'll probably watch the second season, but I'd prefer the plot/characters to be able to stand up on their own merits, not just because they are star wars dudes

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The LED volume tech is an absolute game changer. This is a real inflection point for the industry where game engines (in this case UE4) are going to completely alter blockbuster pipelines. You're going to see pre&post shops switch over to UE4 workflows, so the same assets travel all the way from previs to final pixels on screen. Especially if you're an IP that already has an extensive 3D asset library from vfx or games. I believe Dune, Batman, and several other big shows are currently *deep* into this.

Special shout outs to the geniuses at Lux Machina & Epic for making this magic possible.
It really, really is, and I'd love to read more about it!

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It will (eventually) be revolutionary for micro-low budget filmmakers, as well.

blazinglazers

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
It will (eventually) be revolutionary for micro-low budget filmmakers, as well.
Eventually, for sure!

Right now though it's still cost prohibitive. Good quality LED panels, the trussing & rigging to mount them, the camera tracking, generating the 3D assets, computers powerful enough to render them in real-time, the servers to get everything talking together, the tech teams to operate... it's quite a feat.

That said, aside from Lux Machina and big players like Sony pushing the concept, you got teams like AR Wall that have Indie roots and arrived at a similar solution.

This is the future.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Took a break because frankly I've really enjoyed this show and just didn't want it to end.

Luckily starting with episode 6 the episodes got a little longer.

Episode 6 was filled with some great scum and villiany despite the Twi'lek siblings being completely obnoxious, what are they vampires now? That was dumb. But otherwise that episode was great. I don't know who "bill Burr" is so it didn't take me out the episode.

Episode 7 has been great so far getting the gang back together. The creatures at nightbwhere great and looks like we are finally seeing the big bad Gus Fring in a cape. Complete with evil mustache.

Episode 8 now.....really do not get the hate this show gets. It's been a blast so far.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Yoda was a Jedi master at age 100 in the new canon, he had a youngling stage with the Jedi and everything. There were never ever indications that his purposefully unnamed species has weird quirks outside of living for about a millennium.
I am game with what the show is doing but this is new and I can see the clone theory. The Kamino badge didn´t find itself on set out of the blue. The cub is also here to stay for the whole show. Daigoro aged in the manga btw as it had 2 sequels.
Toddler Yoda who walks, now there is a toy for you.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Yoda was a Jedi master at age 100 in the new canon, he had a youngling stage with the Jedi and everything. There were never ever indications that his purposefully unnamed species has weird quirks outside of living for about a millennium.
I am game with what the show is doing but this is new and I can see the clone theory. The Kamino badge didn´t find itself on set out of the blue. The cub is also here to stay for the whole show. Daigoro aged in the manga btw as it had 2 sequels.
Toddler Yoda who walks, now there is a toy for you.

I'm still thinking he's going to undergo some kind of transformation at the end of the series. Yoda (at 900 years old) said he had been training jedi for 800 years, for all we know he could turn into an adolescent in 20 years (assuming the show does not time skip.. That could be a minimum of 12 years after the show ends, assuming it goes for 8 seasons and 1 season = 1 year at minimum in lore). There has been no indication of weird quirks because we know literally nothing about them. He could be a weird clone, or there could be more to him. His species has a natural connection to the force, so maybe the "mature" as the force deems it necessary, as this species has an uncanny knack for teaching others. I mean... Fuck. They could even be somehow related to The Father, The Son, and The Daughter in that they are a long living species with a connection to the force. I know that's reaching but even they were not immune to death from old age and very connected to the force.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
argh
i do not need a $350 figurine

Status
Not open for further replies.