• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Would the target even know they had been targeted?

Maybe i'm just being a noob here and am missing fundamental mechanics information.

It would depend on how they were protected. Not a risk that's worth taking as scum so early, and when there's been no scum deaths yet.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok forget all that then.

That idea came under the assumption that a blocked NK would leave no information behind for either the target or the blocker. If that's not the case then the idea is too risky i agree.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm super weirded out by Kaz's soft claim. It makes no sense to me, and muddies the waters with Hecht a little bit, IMO.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
"Burn me alive" is some pretty specific language to use in a mafia game.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I still maintain it's a bad move. The only thing this claim does is protect Hecht.
Here's my reasoning. Most PRs don't know when they successfully stop something. Doctors, Roleblockers, and Jailers don't generally know that they have protected or blocked something during the night. Scum most likely thinks that happened since the chance of one of those roles existing is pretty high, rather them shooting the 1 player that may have some self-protection.

However, they did that, so I know for a fact that I was the one that was targeted. I figured that could be useful information, and why I'm looking closely at people that currently scum-read me.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's my reasoning. Most PRs don't know when they successfully stop something. Doctors, Roleblockers, and Jailers don't generally know that they have protected or blocked something during the night. Scum most likely thinks that happened since the chance of one of those roles existing is pretty high, rather them shooting the 1 player that may have some self-protection.

However, they did that, so I know for a fact that I was the one that was targeted. I figured that could be useful information, and why I'm looking closely at people that currently scum-read me.

Ok but now that scum knows you're protected they'll shoot somewhere else. If you hadn't claimed they might try you again to no effect. Your claim makes scum job easier.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Ok but now that scum knows you're protected they'll shoot somewhere else. If you hadn't claimed they might try you again to no effect. Your claim makes scum job easier.
True, but that happens with any claim. If I claimed, say, Vigilante, scum could either take the chance and shoot me, but I might be protected that night because I claimed. They run the risk that I would be able to shoot that night

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Also if we have a doctor and/or a roleblocker, the doctor no longer needs to protect me, and the roleblocker needs to target someone else tonight

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I was in Berserk with you guys then Console Wars which I think might have been a year ago or so? I'm honestly ignorant to whether or not that phrase has significance here.

Any fire related language in Mafia can sometimes be tied with an Arsonist, who would be a role that sets people on fire. Maybe you're being truthful and it's a coincidence but having the weird soft claim followed by the fire language sticks out to me. Not that I think it's likely because no-one would be hinting at being an arsonist since they're usually neutral.

SaucyKaz

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Any fire related language in Mafia can sometimes be tied with an Arsonist, who would be a role that sets people on fire. Maybe you're being truthful and it's a coincidence but having the weird soft claim followed by the fire language sticks out to me. Not that I think it's likely because no-one would be hinting at being an arsonist since they're usually neutral.
Well I know it's not worth much but I'm not an arsonist. I'll choose my wording more carefully. I should honestly probably just read a list of terms before I join another game.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Because then I get counter-claimed, I get lynched, and Town then has the opportunity to maybe protect the person that claimed. At best Scum kills a PR but loses a member, at worst they just lose a member. Neither are really that great of a tradeoff
Err, no. There's no way you'd get a counterclaim because the doctor or whoever wouldn't know for sure they stopped the kill.

...you even point this out yourself a few posts later!

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Err, no. There's no way you'd get a counterclaim because the doctor or whoever wouldn't know for sure they stopped the kill.

...you even point this out yourself a few posts later!
Well, yes, they wouldn't have definitive proof, but I know people have done that in the past - "Hey we had a no kill night! my protection must have stopped it!" etc.

I totally haven't done that before >_>

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
The point is that based on my information, a roleblocker didn't stop the kill, hence the person they targeted isn't the killer

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Well I know it's not worth much but I'm not an arsonist. I'll choose my wording more carefully. I should honestly probably just read a list of terms before I join another game.
Don't worry, that's an odd concern from Kalor

Noone claimed they were doused and noone is dead. We have even less reason than usual to worry about arsonists.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, time to wait and see if Hecht gets counter claimed in anyway I guess.

SaucyKaz I guess I read too much into your post. It looked like you were implying you had an outside reason to believe hecht's claim. Your phrasing in this case was unclear.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
True, but that happens with any claim. If I claimed, say, Vigilante, scum could either take the chance and shoot me, but I might be protected that night because I claimed. They run the risk that I would be able to shoot that night

Sure. I just don't see what's to gain here from claiming. You weren't under any pressure or risk. Nothing of note was happening. I don't want to tunnel on this so i'll drop it for now but i just don't see any benefit from a town's perspective here.

SaucyKaz

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Well, time to wait and see if Hecht gets counter claimed in anyway I guess.

SaucyKaz I guess I read too much into your post. It looked like you were implying you had an outside reason to believe hecht's claim. Your phrasing in this case was unclear.
I am VERY surprised you aren't just going in on me. I messed up in my phrasing and I thought I was done for. Thank you for listening to me.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Sure. I just don't see what's to gain here from claiming. You weren't under any pressure or risk. Nothing of note was happening. I don't want to tunnel on this so i'll drop it for now but i just don't see any benefit from a town's perspective here.
I had information, I know it carries risk, and we are severely lacking in information due to a no-death night. I don't feel like you have to wait until you're under pressure to claim if you think it can at least be a little beneficial.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
anyway, that's the reason I've been thinking Dubs, wee, and muffin, since they all have expressed doubts to me today before I mentioned my vests