• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aeleus

Nov 29, 2018
Could someone give me their reasoning for why using the dark room first is a good idea? I feel like it'd end in an increased amount of fluff posts.
It also seems contradictory to the idea of using bad rooms early given it might be our best one (so you should all pick green).

Also Zip's plays look pretty NAI and I don't like the votes on him, only B-Dubs has any scumread attached to it, Grizzly thinks he's lying about something (why would Scum Zipped need to do that?) and Stuart doesn't have any reasoning attached.

Aeleus why did you self vote to test the voting? why not try it on someone else?
Didn't see this yesterday, only way to vote for someone without getting a sudden hoard of 'explain your reasoning' posts which would have been a pain to deal with.

Aeleus recommends we give him night immunity. I like the cut of his jib.
Thanks for the kind (humorous?) words but please use neutral pronouns when referring to me.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Could someone give me their reasoning for why using the dark room first is a good idea? I feel like it'd end in an increased amount of fluff posts.
someone going from coasting today to fluff posts tomorrow in an attempt to avoid whatever the Dark Room does is highly suspicious activity, and would be called on as it's just as much a detriment to town as not posting at all

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not anti readlists, but doing them few hours into D1 is pointless busywork. We simply lack too much intel at this time.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
I see we have fully descended into the quagmire of mechanics speculation.

I blame everyone, but mostly kits and fats.

cc79226a3559fb92bc5db3d00745d356a70f43a5_hq.gif

Hi, this is my first game :)

Please be nice. Color theory is the worst.

Vote: Splinter

Hecht. Easy.
This new person speaks the truth.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
someone going from coasting today to fluff posts tomorrow in an attempt to avoid whatever the Dark Room does is highly suspicious activity, and would be called on as it's just as much a detriment to town as not posting at all

i think your dreaming if you think that this will actually help ascertain much of a read on anyone that does this this early in the game.

If we have a room that will help deal with low activity posters the worst time to use it would be early in the game when we have an absolute surplus of activity and posts to already wade through, when people noticeable acting inactive always still gets overlooked due to the sheer amount of other people being active and diverting attention.

Use this when the player count has diminished, when the input of those inactive players actually matters more, when we cannot afford players that are still infuriating question marks, and in keeping with your point, when they have a far more consistent history of inactivity to have to turn around from.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
i think your dreaming if you think that this will actually help ascertain much of a read on anyone that does this this early in the game.

If we have a room that will help deal with low activity posters the worst time to use it would be early in the game when we have an absolute surplus of activity and posts to already wade through, when people noticeable acting inactive always still gets overlooked due to the sheer amount of other people being active and diverting attention.

Use this when the player count has diminished, when the input of those inactive players actually matters more, when we cannot afford players that are still infuriating question marks, and in keeping with your point, when they have a far more consistent history of inactivity to have to turn around from.
I think it's better to get through it early in the game.

Late game, I don't think I could compete with some of the people here in terms of posting.

I'd like to get rid of the "punish" rooms early on when there are more people around.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's better to get through it early in the game.

Late game, I don't think I could compete with some of the people here in terms of posting.

I'd like to get rid of the "punish" rooms early on when there are more people around.
pro tip, talking down the benefit something can provide for town for the sake of self-preservation is probably not gonna play well.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think it has much affect late game. I'd rather force people to post early rather than wait for them to be a problem and then try and correct it.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Also inactives don't really get overlooked. Yeah they don't always get lynched as there's usually other more interesting stuff going on, but they're always at least a topic of conversation.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Also inactives don't really get overlooked. Yeah they don't always get lynched as there's usually other more interesting stuff going on, but they're always at least a topic of conversation.
a conversation that goes something like "hey what about those inactive we keep mentioning but not actually doing anything about"
"Yeah they exist, but what do you think of Melon tho?"

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

All of this.

Wait, how do I hate fun? I had fun with Stan and he noticed it. Love you mr coconuts.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
can i not just hate something?

its not some criticisim on you, that was the specific points i made to people.

i just hate when some types of games have long stretches with the dominant conversation being trying to puzzle out mechanics.
is it really too much to just express this?

so judgmental of peoples hatreds round here smh

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

I actually agree with this. One day phase of inactivity isn't much to go on, that could just be life getting in the way, two or three could be indicative of something. If we wait a phase or two for this room it might be more likely to shake something loose.

That said, I get the logic of going for it early. I'd just rather not have to deal with the annoying sounding rooms when we have actual clues to go off of.

OP
OP
Brazil

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
==== DAY 1 VOTES ====
Day Start

Zippedpinhead (3 votes)
B-Dubs - #190
Grizzly - #315
Stuart444 - #406

B-Dubs (2 votes)
Hecht - #206
Flatearthpandas - #293

*Splinter (1 votes)
Melonrabbit - #498

Stuart444 (1 votes)
Godfather - #140

StanleyPalmtree (1 votes)
weemadarthur - #181

Kitsunelaine (1 votes)
Kitsunelaine - #437

Hecht (0 votes)
Stuart444 - #217 #406

Godfather (0 votes)
Kitsunelaine - #359 #437

Kopite (0 votes)
Grizzly - #194 #273

Aeleus (0 votes)
Aeleus - #112 #161

Post Counts:
Fat4All: 58 Grizzly: 53 Stuart444: 50 BronsonLee: 25 saenima: 23 Kitsunelaine: 23 Godfather: 22 B-Dubs: 22 Hecht: 21 Z-Beat: 20 Zippedpinhead: 19 weemadarthur: 15 Flatearthpandas: 13 Kalor: 12 girlofgotham: 12 WhySoDevious: 11 SaucyKaz: 10 Kopite: 9 Aeleus: 8 *Splinter: 8 StanleyPalmtree: 8 LuxCommander: 6 Melonrabbit: 6 Muffin: 3

Click here to go to the Vote Tool!

Day 1 Ends in:

asktlsvue7

OP
OP
Brazil

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
==== DAY 1 MOVEMENT ====
Day Start

dark room (Active votes: 13)
godfather - #140
saucykaz - #164
luxcommander - #185
hecht - #195
fat4all - #198
whysodevious - #250
flatearthpandas - #293
kalor - #318
bronsonlee - #337
z-beat - #514
grizzly - #536
girlofgotham - #541
*splinter - #545

purple room (Active votes: 3)
weemadarthur - #221
muffin - #312
zippedpinhead - #502

green room (Active votes: 2)
aeleus - #213
stuart444 - #364

orange room (Active votes: 2)
b-dubs - #130
saenima - #494

red room (Active votes: 1)
kitsunelaine - #359

Click here to go to the Vote Tool!

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Why votes for purple and green? Those seem like they could be legit useful later.

Aeleus

Nov 29, 2018
Why votes for purple and green? Those seem like they could be legit useful later.
I believe that green will result in a limit to our number of posts, this will mostly have negative utility but if it's chosen early there won't be as much to talk about so its impact is minimised.

It also will lead to inactive players making up a larger percentage of the total posts making them stand out more, leading to similar utility to the Dark Room.

Finally the green room is likely tied to another room if the sister room theory is correct, so it tests that idea out.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
I have a legit question, why are we deliberately trying for a bad room? We have options for some good rooms, since we do not know how the game works exactly (only speculating) why are we trying to "Save" the good rooms when we could get seriously hindered by going directly into a bad room. Maybe this bad room locks us out of a good room?

I think it would be a good idea to vote Teal room! Give everyone, WHILE WE HAVE THE MOST PLAYERS, a blatantly obviously good room. If it is BP it would keep more of us in the game longer ( which actively benefits town because we have the most players), and actively hinder killing roles.

Why are we deliberately trying to get what seems to me punished instead of actively promoting something that, to me, would only hurt scum/threats to town?

move: teal room

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
I have a legit question, why are we deliberately trying for a bad room? We have options for some good rooms, since we do not know how the game works exactly (only speculating) why are we trying to "Save" the good rooms when we could get seriously hindered by going directly into a bad room. Maybe this bad room locks us out of a good room?

I think it would be a good idea to vote Teal room! Give everyone, WHILE WE HAVE THE MOST PLAYERS, a blatantly obviously good room. If it is BP it would keep more of us in the game longer ( which actively benefits town because we have the most players), and actively hinder killing roles.

Why are we deliberately trying to get what seems to me punished instead of actively promoting something that, to me, would only hurt scum/threats to town?

With NKs/lynches we may lose townsfolk, but we gain info. It's the same concept here.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
With NKs/lynches we may lose townsfolk, but we gain info. It's the same concept here.
Yeah but since we only gain information shouldn't town err on the side of caution? Pushing for a bad room out the gate to "get them out of the way" seems backwards to me. Try to mitigate the affect of the first room while we are learning and then once we know SOMETHING decide to burn through the rooms that do not sound so good.

learning through punishment or learning through something that gives town a benefit?

move: green room

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Because I cant really imagine what the purple one does unless he does the same as the uncertainty one, and I want to find out. Would also be one of the obvious ones to test the sister room theory.

That said, I voted that before somebody mentioned the whole "rooms can get unavailable for other reasons than us having used them" thing, so Im seriously thinking about whether we shouldnt just use the teal room.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Because I cant really imagine what the purple one does unless he does the same as the uncertainty one, and I want to find out. Would also be one of the obvious ones to test the sister room theory.

That said, I voted that before somebody mentioned the whole "rooms can get unavailable for other reasons than us having used them" thing, so Im seriously thinking about whether we shouldnt just use the teal room.
I feel like that might have to do with the picture thing. Like we can't go to any room that isn't nearby.

If we did go teal now all we'd do is extend the D1 situation where we have little to no real info.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
You mean the most important thing we could possibly get?
yes, the most important thing we can possibly get outside of flips.

Why risk learning that information and get punished when we can still learn a lot of the same information BUT not intend for us to get punished (in fact I think teal will actively help us)

move: Teal room

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
yes, the most important thing we can possibly get outside of flips.

Why risk learning that information and get punished when we can still learn a lot of the same information BUT not intend for us to get punished (in fact I think teal will actively help us)

move: Teal room
...because we get more information at a time when we can spare having a death? This isn't that difficult to comprehend

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like that might have to do with the picture thing. Like we can't go to any room that isn't nearby.

If we did go teal now all we'd do is extend the D1 situation where we have little to no real info.
I disagree, we could potentially learn if rooms get locked out when you enter other rooms. We would have at least one flip. We would know what the teal room does (since the white room seems to be just a blank space).

We learn all of these same things with a seemingly bad room, we just risk getting a bad effect for tomorrow. With the teal room, specifically, the text is outlined in such a way to imply that it has a good affect.

Now if we don't want to waste our "BP" room, fine. then why not the yellow room? It has protect right there in the text! Maybe however the "voices" plays out will actively hurt the threats to town by muddying up their scum chat? Seems to me like a clear winner!

move: yellow room

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Purple doesn't seem like it's much different from Dark
I'm on purple in case it causes a post restriction of few posts.
Incisive can mean "to the point", which would suggest that elaboration is bad, which might mean death from talking too much, which might mean a post count hard limit.

If that's true I'd rather have it gone early with a high number of players. It would shorten the reading necessary to follow when we have an abundance of players. Dark room could mean post minimum is higher, or lack of vote means death. Both seem more useful later.

It's not because purple is my favorite color. <.<

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Plenty of time to course-correct if the "punish" rooms end up hurting town. if we save them for last, they could irreversibly swing it in an unpredictable way.

Meanwhile, the teal room sounds like a good one to have if town is in trouble. Why waste it on the first day?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It also seems contradictory to the idea of using bad rooms early given it might be our best one (so you should all pick green).
Green seems the most damaging when we have the least amount of info. If it limits our ability to speak we won't actually be able to start the game because we can't discuss D1

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Plenty of time to course-correct if the "punish" rooms end up hurting town. if we save them for last, they could irreversibly swing it in an unpredictable way.

Meanwhile, the teal room sounds like a good one to have if town is in trouble. Why waste it on the first day?
Because it's early game and there is room for error

This is exactly why I'm pushing for a good room TODAY, we have room for error, can spare a life sure. Its a benefit to town in early game Scum is far more likely to target a 'nilla character than anything else and town will go for the people most irking them, typically after scum pushes them towards it by pointing it out.

But since we don't know if rooms get locked out if you chose their opposite, as well as only having an inkling as to what they are I believe it benefits us more to have everyone get a BP and cause a no kill night 2 (assuming teal gives us BP) than to "save it for later" and potentially never use it.

Truth be told, if scum thinks teal is BP, then they can always try to swing the vote away at the last minute by saying " we should save this for later when we really need it".

I think Yellow and teal are probably the best moves for today. let us worry about bad rooms tomorrow after we hurt/bother/prevent scum from doing something.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Muffin has no vote in place and fewest posts right now.

Vote: muffin

Luxcommander is also in the running for this vote.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
This is exactly why I'm pushing for a good room TODAY, we have room for error, can spare a life sure. Its a benefit to town in early game Scum is far more likely to target a 'nilla character than anything else and town will go for the people most irking them, typically after scum pushes them towards it by pointing it out.

But since we don't know if rooms get locked out if you chose their opposite, as well as only having an inkling as to what they are I believe it benefits us more to have everyone get a BP and cause a no kill night 2 (assuming teal gives us BP) than to "save it for later" and potentially never use it.

Truth be told, if scum thinks teal is BP, then they can always try to swing the vote away at the last minute by saying " we should save this for later when we really need it".

I think Yellow and teal are probably the best moves for today. let us worry about bad rooms tomorrow after we hurt/bother/prevent scum from doing something.

You're right. We should use it now, before we get a bunch of claimed PRs and may want to protect them.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

Am I the only one who reads this as scummy? Zipped is trying to take a legit useful looking room off the table super early.