• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Tbf I'm not sure it would have done well even if the MCU deal hadn't expired. The movie already made $1.1B and it's barely out of theaters, a rerelease now seems kind of pointless for a couple extra minutes.

Rothman likely won't be the studio head of the combined Universal/Columbia when NBCUniversal eventually snaps up Sony Pictures so I agree.

I'd expect a bidding war between Comcast, Apple, and Netflix.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Sony, I'll give you Deadpool and, I dunno, Mr Fanrastic's disgusting stretch powers for Spidey.

Babymomo

Aug 14, 2019
Feel like shit just want the Young Avengers and Bloodstone in the MCU
large.jpg

Babymomo

Aug 14, 2019
I really can't get excited for anything right now i'm losing my mind beacuse of corporate greed,

feel like shit just want peter back in the mcu
69afc74555725227da680a4f81e56dad.jpg

Oct 29, 2017
I assume Ike only want inhumans to replace Xmen, now that they have XMen, he probably didn't care about inhuman.
Which is good because it means we can get proper Inhumans.

I was actually wondering if they'd make Kamala a mutant rather than inhuman in some crazy twist but maybe they'll go with inhuman still if they're planning on expanding on it.

Need Black Bolt and Maximus for when they eventually have the balls to do a double-feature of Time Runs Out and Secret Wars.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
At some point Inhumans was obviously going to get a reboot. I just think it'll be a while, since Eternals is kind of filling that "ancient hidden family" vibe.

It's gonna happen to the Netflix crew too, eventually. I think the Agents of SHIELD are the only ones who won't get recast and reintegrated eventually, but Quake is the only "important" one there anyways.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Dr. Strange 2 explores what happened without a Sorcerer Supreme for five years. Seems like a pretty big thing to not have.

doinkies

Jun 20, 2018
Reading the posts in this thread makes me remember around this time last year when James Gunn got fired and people were going on about how he'd never get rehired, Disney management statements made it sound like he was never coming back, that GoTG 3 would never happen...and then he did get rehired for GoTG 3 after all.

I think they'll continue talking in private as rumored and come to a new agreement in several months. I feel like the way the first two movies were written, they made it practically impossible for Sony to continue on their own with that version without it becoming a gigantic mess, because the backstory is so tied to other MCU characters and events. And Sony can't legally reference those in the third movie if the split sticks. Not even by saying "that guy in the iron suit's friend" or "that eyepatch spy guy" or something.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Why would Zendaya not be in a third Spider-Man? I'm sure she and the rest of the cast are signed for three.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Reading the posts in this thread makes me remember around this time last year when James Gunn got fired and people were going on about how he'd never get rehired, Disney management statements made it sound like he was never coming back, that GoTG 3 would never happen...and then he did get rehired for GoTG 3 after all.

I think they'll continue talking in private as rumored and come to a new agreement in several months. I feel like the way the first two movies were written, they made it practically impossible for Sony to continue on their own with that version without it becoming a gigantic mess, because the backstory is so tied to other MCU characters and events. And Sony can't legally reference those in the third movie if the split sticks. Not even by saying "that guy in the iron suit's friend" or "that eyepatch spy guy" or something.

There's a big difference between choosing a director and choosing to share a IP worth billions of dollars and deciding how to split the proceeds.

Anything can happen, but Gunn getting his job back doesn't have much bearing on how likely Disney and Sony are to come to terms.

It really wouldn't be all that difficult for Sony to write a Spiderman movie that doesn't reference the MCU characters.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
It really wouldn't be all that difficult for Sony to write a Spiderman movie that doesn't reference the MCU characters.

It would be pretty difficult if it's in semi-continuity with Homecoming and FFH. By no means impossible if that's really the course Sony is dead-set on taking, but those two films were so immersed in broader MCU continuity, characters, and world-building that I don't see how they could proceed without a roomful of Sony and Disney lawyers first sitting down to determine which elements Sony can and can't retain.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Who said Venom would bomb? EVERYONE knows Venom.

Nobody knows Morbius. Sony thinking that every Spidey character is going to have the same success as arguably his most popular villain is crazy.

Morbius isn't a popular character, but the right vision can make a hit out of anything.

We live in a world where Aquaman is the earningest Justice League movie and Captain Marvel pulled in over 1 Billion despite most viewers having no prior engagement with the character.

It would be silly to assume Morbius would reach close to Venoms gross, but it will likely be even cheaper to produce. It won't need to mimic Venom's success in order to be successful.

Whether or not Sony has a good vision for a Morbius movie remains to be seen.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Only dumb people thought the most popular Spidey Villain and one of Marvel's famous anti-heroes wouldn't make bank.

Venom killing the box office wasnt some obvious conclusion - especially not given the fact that it had no ties to Spiderman.

And you can't owe it am to the character's popularly. Venom outperformed a Justice League.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would Zendaya not be in a third Spider-Man? I'm sure she and the rest of the cast are signed for three.
Yeah, it was a brainfart on my part, but my worry stems from how this messes with her character development.

I don't exactly trust Avi Arad, Tom Rothman, et al. to handle the creative development of her character well. I know they won't be writing the script, but their creative oversight worries me.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Why cut probably the best showcase of comic Spidey we've seen so far? These decisions baffle me sometimes.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Morbius isn't a popular character, but the right vision can make a hit out of anything.

We live in a world where Aquaman is the earningest Justice League movie and Captain Marvel pulled in over 1 Billion despite most viewers having no prior engagement with the character.

It would be silly to assume Morbius would reach close to Venoms gross, but it will likely be even cheaper to produce. It won't need to mimic Venom's success in order to be successful.

Whether or not Sony has a good vision for a Morbius movie remains to be seen.
People's definition of bombing and success is distorted by the MCU.

Ant-Man after 2 movies is clearly the least popular solo MCU character, but it wasn't a bomb, it's still a successful entry, just not in the same vein as other solo entries. I feel like Morbius will be the same thing. Assuming it's half way coherent, it can still be successful without remotely getting close to Venom's gross.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

Ant-Man after 2 movies is clearly the least popular solo MCU character, but it wasn't a bomb, it's still a successful entry, just not in the same vein as other solo entries. I feel like Morbius will be the same thing. Assuming it's half way coherent, it can still be successful without remotely getting close to Venom's gross.

Yeah Antman movies make Disney $100 million per flick. The old Spidey-MCU deal made Disney $44 million and $55 million for Homecoming & Far From Home respectively. If people can't see this and understand why they'd rather focus on exposing people to their other obscure licenses they hold rather than continuing with the old deal THIS should spell it out.

These are the numbers people should be looking at when trying to figure out what Studios want and expect of these films and any related deals. Profits

"Success" is, as much as anything else, a measure of how much profit a film can bring. Sony sees Disney making bank off of characters people never cared about. And Sony thinking they can do it too if the get the right team and the right budget.

Last edited:

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
That restaurant scene is peak Spidey. Peak Spidey in the MCu. PEAK SPIDEY GUYS. WE PEAKED. IT'S DONE.

tumblr_n9pxjn1Fck1r2ogzyo1_500.gif

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, I don't necessarily disagree with most of this post, but I'm not quite confident that an Avi Arad quality film about a character that has less mindshare than Venom is going to break $125-150 million.

It's going to need to be decent. Because MIB was more relevant and had two MCU stars and was under that.

And this was before Spider-Man was pulled so it probably won't have Spider-Man references.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
That restaurant scene is peak Spidey. Peak Spidey in the MCu. PEAK SPIDEY GUYS. WE PEAKED. IT'S DONE.

tumblr_n9pxjn1Fck1r2ogzyo1_500.gif
Yeah, that footage that I saw snippets of on Twitter was fucking excellent, and should've been in the movie, would've helped with the pacing issues that I had with it in the first act
If this Spidey situation wasn't happening right now and they had the extended cut in Dolby/IMAX theaters I probably would've gone back to see it a second time

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, that footage that I saw snippets of on Twitter was fucking excellent, and should've been in the movie, would've helped with the pacing issues that I had with it in the first act
If this Spidey situation wasn't happening right now and they had the extended cut in Dolby/IMAX theaters I probably would've gone back to see it a second time
I actually don't know what I'm more mad about, that we got that cut as opposed to removing something like some of the Ned/Betty boredom, or that we'll never see this exact iteration of Spider-Man again :(

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I actually don't know what I'm more mad about, that we got that cut as opposed to removing something like some of the Ned/Betty boredom, or that we'll never see this exact iteration of Spider-Man again :(
I'm keeping hope alive (for now), but yeah, in full agreement with the first part of your comment
Sony, I'll give you Deadpool and, I dunno, Mr Fanrastic's disgusting stretch powers for Spidey.
They can have Iron Man
574548453594497025.png

Status
Not open for further replies.