• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Love and Thunder is going to begin with the Guardians dumping Thor in the middle of space somewhere for being a drunken mess, and then Valkyrie finds out, feels she has to go find him, and ends up bringing Jane along because she was working with inaccurate old information that they were dating.

But then! It turns out that Jane actually dumped Thor because she realized she was a lesbian and Valkyrie and Jane fall in love, get married, and forget about Thor.

Post credits scene of Thor floating in the middle of space wondering where Valkyrie is. The end.

I'm fine with this as long as we get a steamy Thor/Darcy aftercredits love scene to make up for it

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Manabyte and DanielRPK have been saying that there's gonna be some really good stuff there
The latter specifically teased some Deadpool news(?)

IlliterateDirtyIberianemeraldlizard-size_restricted.gif

fingers crossed these madmen saved some megatons for the next show taking place a month later

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Trades said Falcon and Winter Soldier is August 2020.

Personally I ain't expecting anything for D23.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I feel like the only people on the planet opposed to Spidey characters heading to the MCU are Sony execs

Venom-verse is a silly concept... And it bothers me that the Venom film was successful enough to justify it.
It's not really fair to call it a venom verse. Venom was the first to be released of Sony's Universe of Marvel Characters. They're developing an animated and separate live action adaptations of Silk, so they won't be shy from using Spider-powered individuals.

It also makes a lot of sense. Every other film and TV studio is searching through their IP library to create successful reboots/relaunches of prized content (CBS going in on Star Trek, Viacom leveraging Nickelodeon IP, Warner utilizing Cartoon Network, HBO and Turner's catalogue, Universal with Fast spin-offs). Sony is doing the same (leveraging PlayStation through PlayStation Productions which has 5 projects in development, Sony Music working with Sony Pictures to develop biopics and Cinderella starring Camila Cabello) and it'd be really unintelligent for Sony to not capitalize on their largest IP.

Tony Vinciquerra a few months back stated they have the next 7-8 years of Spider-Man related content planned across film and TV (with Lord and Miller handling all animated TV productions).

That should be accomplished by the end of the summer. From there, Hopkins is ready to jump-start growth, with big plans for the company's content library and a new cost-efficient, indie film-style model for making television shows.
The Sony team is in the midst of figuring out how best to exploit its intellectual property across the film and television groups. And not just for its crown jewel, "Spider-Man," but also in areas where it has a potential competitive advantage, such as its access to IP from PlayStation and Sony Music.
That said, the studio is aware of its association with one of the most popular Marvel characters of all time. So look for more amazing adventures of the web-slinger to populate not just theaters but TV screens.
"We have the next seven or eight years laid out as to what we're going to do with that asset, and that will not only be on the film side — it'll be on the TV side," says Vinciquerra. "Our television group will have its own set of characters from within that universe that we will seek to develop."
Sony is essentially internally auditioning its more than 900 Spider-Man-adjacent characters, to which it has attached the moniker Sony's Universe of Marvel Characters.

Spider-Man is blessed with a large rogue of characters that there are a horde to include in MCU films.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
You know I've been thinking, with movies and now TV shows on regular rotation we'll always have something new to talk about, all year long.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I somehow completely missed the news about Teyonah Parris being cast as adult Monica in WandaVision. Hype.

luca

Oct 25, 2017

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
D_-Yf2TU4AEFLug

Man, I can't wait to see how the rest of this cast is filled out, it's charming af already
But is anyone else hoping they hold off on Keanu for Adam Warlock or Silver Surfer? I'll be hyped regardless of what role he signs up for anyway

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
It's not really fair to call it a venom verse. Venom was the first to be released of Sony's Universe of Marvel Characters. They're developing an animated and separate live action adaptations of Silk, so they won't be shy from using Spider-powered individuals.

It also makes a lot of sense. Every other film and TV studio is searching through their IP library to create successful reboots/relaunches of prized content (CBS going in on Star Trek, Viacom leveraging Nickelodeon IP, Warner utilizing Cartoon Network, HBO and Turner's catalogue, Universal with Fast spin-offs). Sony is doing the same (leveraging PlayStation through PlayStation Productions which has 5 projects in development, Sony Music working with Sony Pictures to develop biopics and Cinderella starring Camila Cabello) and it'd be really unintelligent for Sony to not capitalize on their largest IP.

Tony Vinciquerra a few months back stated they have the next 7-8 years of Spider-Man related content planned across film and TV (with Lord and Miller handling all animated TV productions).

Spider-Man is blessed with a large rogue of characters that there are a horde to include in MCU films.

This is my point - call it what you want - this separate Marvel universe makes Sony execs happy, but for everyone else, it just means some legendary Marvel character interactions have a low probability of ever happening.

Of course it makes sense for them to do this... They are attempting to maximize the return on their investment.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
The Ten Rings easter egg nobody had noticed in Ant-Man, was those the guys who came to buy a sample of the quantum particles? If so, Mandarin would probably be in possession of it now. But I haven't put on Ant-Man to figure out the scene.

Slyonic

Oct 29, 2017
The Ten Rings easter egg nobody had noticed in Ant-Man, was those the guys who came to buy a sample of the quantum particles? If so, Mandarin would probably be in possession of it now. But I haven't put on Ant-Man to figure out the scene.

At the panel they showed some scenes with the Ten Rings in them. One of the guys buying the Yellowjacket particles was indeed a Ten Rings mercenary, he had a tattoo on his neck.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
This may be a nitpick but the thing that almost ruins The First Avenger for me is that every gun uses the exact same sound effect as an Iron Man blast

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think the biggest news here is Deadpool going to Feige, since that some thought that Deadpool would stay at Fox, cause Marvel Studios wouldn't do R Rated films.
I guess they can use Marvel MAX as the branding for Deadpool if they want to make it distinct from their other works while keeping it in the MCU.

Borshay

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
Now that Phase 3 has ended, and Feige already has me super excited for Phase 4, I put together the 3rd MCU Movie Tournament!

Link Here

Captain America: Civil War won the first(Spring 2018), Infinity War won the second(Fall 2018). I'll be curious to see how things shake out!

Oct 31, 2017
does universal have live action tv rights?

I believe Universal only has the rights of first refusal to live action Hulk (and family) movies. I even question if they own anything on Namor, I don't even know where that started.

Regarding Live Action TV rights, ABC was rumored to be developing it in 2010 and 2012:

So if that's true, then they can make a Hulk, She-Hulk and whatever else they want on TV without having to deal with Comcast.

Reason Universal owns Hulk movie RoFR, apparently, is because they were part of the team who loaned Marvel Studios money to get started.

Maisel managed to raise $525 million — a majority from Merrill Lynch, with additional support from Paramount and Universal in exchange for distribution rights — to make 10 films, capped at a budget of $165 million each with a PG-13 requirement, based on what were then considered "second-tier superheroes, who may not resonate with younger moviegoers."

They lost the production rights when they failed to make a sequel to Ang Lee's Hulk. Disney bought Paramount out of their distribution rights.

Even if Disney can make Hulk as tv series, a series where you need cg character for most of the screen time would have been really expensive

I'm assuming you can get around that by spending some of the time as Bruce. If Marvel wants to do it, they can.

I mean while Hawkeye is probably not CGI heavy, Loki and Falcon/Winter Solider can be. I have to think WandaVision is CGI heavy. Maybe not as much as Hulk would be, but heavy enough if they are going to keep the same quality as the movies. I guess that's a reason these shows will be expensive. The Mandalorian clocks in at $15MM per episode. Marvel shows can command that much. Feige has the clout and reputation to ask for that....and he would get it.

Cool thing is they can do a Hulk origin (I personally would like it since we never got one in the MCU. Would also help keep the costs down) or something else (hopefully not World War Hulk or The Immortal Hulk). And you know what else would be cool in a Hulk live action origin TV show? Wolverine's introduction. And they could also have a kickass She-Hulk TV show.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I believe Universal only has the rights of first refusal to live action Hulk (and family) movies. I even question if they own anything on Namor, I don't even know where that started.

re: Namor, the sense I've gotten reading between the lines of Feige's past responses is that while Universal can't use him on their own, they have/had some sort of significant contractually mandated participation in anything Marvel Studios might do with the character, which is a different situation from the Hulk, where that only applies to solo films.

Mind you, I could have been misinterpreting it, and it's possible the rights have changed since then.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
I fucking love Simu Liu. Just seeing that charm and down-to-earth aura from him on stage, to seeing him fight against the desexualization of Asian men and calling out the audience for even laughing at the "Asian man." This guy is my man, and I'm gonna cry in the theater when I've finally seen my first big Asian-cast Hollywood superhero production. I cried multiple times by just witnessing the symbolism out of that famous Mahjong scene in Crazy Rich Asians. I hope Marvel can break some stereotypes, and although the martial artist is pretty stereotype, at least we're not the sidekick, dorky nerd or doctor. They better not make Awkafina a love interest.

Just watched the video now, as an even older Asian American(or should I say North American) man I know his pain and I love his response. I already knew of him from Kim's Convenience and a Youtube series with a focus on Asian Americans but he didn't cross my mind when it came to his role. Probably because he hadn't been in any big movies yet. But I'm really glad he got the role and I love that he isn't afraid to shy away from these topics and wants to be a voice for change.

I can't lie, Multiverse of Madness is my most anticipated Phase 4 movie. But Shang Chi is definitely number 2 and I can't wait to see the 1st trailer for this movie. Now get my man a superhero suit and super powers please lol.

Oct 31, 2017
re: Namor, the sense I've gotten reading between the lines of Feige's past responses is that while Universal can't use him on their own, they have/had some sort of significant contractually mandated participation in anything Marvel Studios might do with the character, which is a different situation from the Hulk, where that only applies to solo films.

Mind you, I could have been misinterpreting it, and it's possible the rights have changed since then.

I guess I found my own answer when looking for it and Feige did mention Universal once. This is what I found that he said.

2018:

It is. I think there's a way to probably figure it out but it does have — it's not as a clean or clear as the majority of the other characters.

2014:

"Yes, but it's slightly more complicated than that," he explained. "Let's put it this way – there are entanglements that make it less easy. There are older contracts that still involve other parties that mean we need to work things out before we move forward on it. As opposed to an Iron Man or any of the Avengers or any of the other Marvel characters where we could just put them in."

2013:

That's at Universal.

No one knows for sure what Universal has/had and what changed.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Daredevil season 2, do I need to watch anything else to continue? I don't particularly want to watch shows about other characters first.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
Are those Universal Hulk movie distribution rights infinite or something? They can't expire? It has been 11 years since The Incredible Hulk so if we reach 20 and nothing has changed that will be sad.

Eventually I want to see a She-Hulk or Cho Hulk movie.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
This may be somewhat of a controversial opinion but I don't think that an R rating is that important for Deadpool.

I don't think it's necessary, but it definitely helped the character stand out amongst the rest of the Marvel movies being released. His two R-rated movies were not only great, but they made a shit load of money, so for that reason alone I see them sticking with the rating. When it comes to Deadpool joining the MCU, he is also joining a universe that isn't lacking in comedic PG-13 movies (unlike the Fox MCU), so I'd argue Deadpool needs that R-rating more than ever now just to keep that uniqueness.

Of course, should Deadpool pop up in another MCU film, he'll have to conform to the PG-13 rating, and in those situations the jokes write themselves (and obviously the character can, in fact, work just fine in PG-13)

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it's necessary, but it definitely helped the character stand out amongst the rest of the Marvel movies being released. His two R-rated movies were not only great, but they made a shit load of money, so for that reason alone I see them sticking with the rating. When it comes to Deadpool joining the MCU, he is also joining a universe that isn't lacking in comedic PG-13 movies (unlike the Fox MCU), so I'd argue Deadpool needs that R-rating more than ever now just to keep that uniqueness.

Of course, should Deadpool pop up in another MCU film, he'll have to conform to the PG-13 rating, and in those situations the jokes write themselves (and obviously the character can, in fact, work just fine in PG-13)

That's a very good point. So you think that Marvel Studios will create a separate R-rated brand or will Deadpool still use Fox branding?

Status
Not open for further replies.