• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
That's a very good point. So you think that Marvel Studios will create a separate R-rated brand or will Deadpool still use Fox branding?

I think the only official statement we've heard from any official source is Bob Iger when the deal closed:

On a call with investors, Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger said that Disney will continue to make R-rated Deadpool movies and other adult-oriented Marvel adventures after it absorbs much of Fox.

"We will continue in that business," promised Iger, adding, "There's certainly popularity" with those types of films.

Iger hinted that these films won't be released under the traditional Marvel or Disney banner. The company will make it an effort to ensure it is "carefully branding [R-rated films]…so we're not in any way confusing the consumer," Iger said.

It's a weird situation because traditionally an R-rated movie wouldn't be mainstream friendly, an R-rated superhero movie means kids can't watch which means less money... but Deadpool absolutely destroyed the box office and clearly the R-rating didn't hurt it at all. It's clear kids watched and enjoyed those movies. I see Deadpool all over kids t-shirts/toys/whatever superhero merch at Walmart. He's super popular with all ages at this point. Deadpool is kinda in that Call of Duty/Grand Theft Auto company of... it's technically for adults but it's so big kids are gonna get their hands on it.

That said, I think they want mom and dad to be comfortable with little jimmy browsing Disney Plus and watching his superhero movies without having to hear about how the man in the costume looks like Freddy Kruger face fucked a topographical map of Utah. So if I had to guess they might restrict Deadpool to Hulu or whatever service they're putting R-rated movies onto.

If Deadpool is a part of the MCU, and they really want people to access every single MCU film all on one service, I actually wouldn't be surprised if they made PG-13 cuts for any future R-rated Deadpools just to get them onto Disney Plus.

It's a super weird situation and I'd love to hear Feige clarify it all.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I think Deadpool probably will stay there on his own movieverse with no connection to MCU. I didn't expect any mcu character to have guest appearance either.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
i would love to see "deadpool explains the mcu" educational videos before every mcu film.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I can't see that happening, with Deadpool there's a potential for so many great pairings and 4th wall breaks.
Bob Iger mention that they want to avoid confusing the customer with their R rated marvel film. I doubt they're okay with their pg13 character show up in deadpool movie.

Whenever Marvel decide to reboot XMen again, I think they'll avoid using character like juggernaut and colossus that show up in deadpool

Cocamantis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I think there are quite some weird opportunities when it comes to put Deadpool among other MCU characters together in a film. Like I can't help to imagine Deadpool using a Nerf Gun and a wooden sword or even a fake Mjolnir and breaking the 4th wall explaining why. It would be so dumb and yet so perfect.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Are those Universal Hulk movie distribution rights infinite or something? They can't expire? It has been 11 years since The Incredible Hulk so if we reach 20 and nothing has changed that will be sad.

Eventually I want to see a She-Hulk or Cho Hulk movie.

There's speculation that Universal holding onto the theme park rights to certain Marvel characters (which prevents them from being used in Walt Disney World) is preventing Marvel/Disney from buying out Universal's rights to Hulk, like they did with Paramount.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

How Marvel’s Hulk Got Caught Between Studios

With Mark Ruffalo playing Bruce Banner, the hero has become a fan favorite. But rights issues with Universal holds up (another) stand-alone movie. "We know where we're taking the character," assures Marvel chief Kevin Feige.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Eternals set photos from Pinewood UK. It's a Star Wars instagram page, and they thought the sets were for Rise of Skywalker, but this is the Aztec temple from Eternals where Margo Damian discovers the TOMB OF THE SPACE GODS:

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the video now, as an even older Asian American(or should I say North American) man I know his pain and I love his response. I already knew of him from Kim's Convenience and a Youtube series with a focus on Asian Americans but he didn't cross my mind when it came to his role. Probably because he hadn't been in any big movies yet. But I'm really glad he got the role and I love that he isn't afraid to shy away from these topics and wants to be a voice for change.
Do you have a link to that YouTube series? Would like to check it out.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
I think Deadpool probably will stay there on his own movieverse with no connection to MCU. I didn't expect any mcu character to have guest appearance either.

If they were gonna do that they would have kept him under under Emma Watts at Fox and not move him under Kevin Feige.

All that means is that we are likely to get a Marvel Knights or Marvel MAX label.

If Deadpool is a part of the MCU, and they really want people to access every single MCU film all on one service, I actually wouldn't be surprised if they made PG-13 cuts for any future R-rated Deadpools just to get them onto Disney Plus.

Like I said earlier, I think an "R" rated Deadpool/Blade etc will happen. However, they will also have a PG-13 cut, either simultaneously or at a later date. They would pretty much need that for China, but it would also help with parents and families in the west.

There's speculation that Universal holding onto the theme park rights to certain Marvel characters (which prevents them from being used in Walt Disney World) is preventing Marvel/Disney from buying out Universal's rights to Hulk, like they did with Paramount.

With Mark Ruffalo playing Bruce Banner, the hero has become a fan favorite. But rights issues with Universal holds up (another) stand-alone movie. "We know where we're taking the character," assures Marvel chief Kevin Feige.

I have theorized that Disney hasn't bought Universal's distribution rights due to the theme park contract. Better to get all kinks ironed out at once than piecemeal type of situation. However, I also thought they would have done so when doing the deal for Hulu and that didn't happen, so what do I know?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I think the only official statement we've heard from any official source is Bob Iger when the deal closed:

It's a weird situation because traditionally an R-rated movie wouldn't be mainstream friendly, an R-rated superhero movie means kids can't watch which means less money... but Deadpool absolutely destroyed the box office and clearly the R-rating didn't hurt it at all. It's clear kids watched and enjoyed those movies. I see Deadpool all over kids t-shirts/toys/whatever superhero merch at Walmart. He's super popular with all ages at this point. Deadpool is kinda in that Call of Duty/Grand Theft Auto company of... it's technically for adults but it's so big kids are gonna get their hands on it.

That said, I think they want mom and dad to be comfortable with little jimmy browsing Disney Plus and watching his superhero movies without having to hear about how the man in the costume looks like Freddy Kruger face fucked a topographical map of Utah. So if I had to guess they might restrict Deadpool to Hulu or whatever service they're putting R-rated movies onto.

It's a super weird situation and I'd love to hear Feige clarify it all.

I wonder if they'll continue with the PG-13 cuts Fox experimented with Deadpool 2.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually pretty stoked about What If. So there'll be one small change to the timeline that'll change everything:

"Right now, we're focusing on for the first season, everything you know about the 23 movies in the Infinity Saga and adding one twist to them and seeing how everything turns out different." - Kevin Feige.

I'm thinking it would be cool if Jeffrey Wright's The Watcher crosses over to the live-action movies and shows as well, and back into the animations. We already saw Watchers in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 didn't we.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Hopefully Marvel steps up their animation game for What If, one thing they've always lagged behind DC with (even though DC Animation's recent output hasn't really been up to snuff, but I'm not getting into that as to not incite warz)

Foxhound

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Wow, all of this news from the last few days and knowing that not everything has been announced (Spiderman 3 and future of Deadpool). Some truth, some speculation based on events in or outside of the movies, and flat out rumors has me BUGGIN'

1. Fantastic Four + X-Men in the MCU
  2. Dr. Doom / Galactus / Kang / or possibly Xmen vs Avengers as next team up
  3. More representation (LGBTQ, Asian, African-American Leads)
  4. Establishment of a multi-verse
  5. Kree/Skrulls officially art of the universe
  6. Desire to include Keannu in the MCU (silver surfer PLZ)
  7. Potential for rated-R movies (Blade, Deadpool franchise continuation)
  8. Potential for the most authentic comic representation of Rogue (high flyin' and ass kickin') and Mandarin
  9. Adam Warlock incoming at some point
  10. New takes on genres (Dr Strange 2 being "horror")
  11. New interesting TV shows (give me What If and Loki NOW!) that tie into the movies
  12. New unique properties that the general public isn't that familiar with ala GotG (Shang-Chi, Eternals
  13. Hardcore expanse into the cosmic entity of Marvel

WOW. I could never have imagined this even one year ago. I may be more excited for the future of this cinematic universe than I was when they first introduced Thanos on screen with the Infinity Gauntlet.

BLACK LAC

Nov 5, 2017
Hopefully Marvel steps up their animation game for What If, one thing they've always lagged behind DC with (even though DC Animation's recent output hasn't really been up to snuff, but I'm not getting into that as to not incite warz)

Not quite sure how true this is anymore. Not with Animated Marvel projects winning oscar's and all.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Not quite sure how true this is anymore. Not with Animated Marvel projects winning oscar's and all.
source.gif

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017

Man that sucks if true.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
That was more of an Sony Animation studio thing. They've always had talent among them and finally got to express that with Spider-Verse.

I'm most excited about Shang-Chi and WandaVision. I feel like Wanda's show is gonna be her warping reality which is what'll make it the weirdest and most psychedelic thing in the MCU. It's gonna be a visually crazy trip.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
That was more of an Sony Animation studio thing. They've always had talent among them and finally got to express that with Spider-Verse.

I'm most excited about Shang-Chi and WandaVision. I feel like Wanda's show is gonna be her warping reality which is what'll make it the weirdest and most psychedelic thing in the MCU. It's gonna be a visually crazy trip.

I feel like the television format in general will allow Marvel Studios to do some really cool things. They can experiment more and develop their stories over several hours

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Do you have a link to that YouTube series? Would like to check it out.

Here is the 1st episode

I very much liked him in this series and in Kim's Convenience. But I overlooked him for Shang Chi because I was only thinking about guys that have been in movies and bigger TV shows. So I'm pretty happy that Marvel had to remind me and so many others who he is and why he is the right guy for this role lol.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the television format in general will allow Marvel Studios to do some really cool things. They can experiment more and develop their stories over several hours
I noticed how Kevin Feige kept calling the Disney show "epic events" and that they're gonna do unexpected things. I really think we're in for some real good treats. He's also just trying to assure us it'll be worth it investing 6 hours on their shows.

Here is the 1st episode

I very much liked him in this series and in Kim's Convenience. But I overlooked him for Shang Chi because I was only thinking about guys that have been in movies and bigger TV shows. So I'm pretty happy that Marvel had to remind me and so many others who he is and why he is the right guy for this role lol.
Thanks a bunch! Added to watchlist, gonna check it out when I get home.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
That moment when you realize that Rocket has Star-Lord's scarf from Vol. 2 in Endgame.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
So.. l just watch youtube video say that China didn't like Shang Chi movie casting, because well known actor Tony Leung is playing a villain, and Simu Liu is not a well known actor in China, left China for Canada when he's a kid.

Is this real?

fall_ark

Mar 20, 2019
Shanghai, China
So.. l just watch youtube video say that China didn't like Shang Chi movie casting, because well known actor Tony Leung is playing a villain, and Simu Liu is not a well known actor in China, left China for Canada when he's a kid.

Is this real?

No it's the other way around. People hate Tony Leung for accepting a role that is racism personified.
It was about Fu Manchu (yeah he's not in the movie, but you know that's only by name) before the casting was announced, and it was about Fu Manchu now. Everything else is just added fuel to an already burning fire, including the "wow they cast a Chinese as villain and a fully-westernized Canadian as the hero in a movie that's supposed to appeal to the Chinese audience".

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked all seasons of Daredevil because that tone felt fitting for that type of material but yeah, it can get a bit much sometimes.
Yeah. I'm at the beginning of season 3 and liking it, but there's a lack of self awareness of some of the more ridiculous nonsense lately like Black Sky. And the secret identity element does make sense but has some annoying aspects that I really don't miss in the movies.

If anybody ever worried about pissing off creationists I'd be surprised. They're nearly as bad as flat earthers.
Wait, are you saying that believing in a divinely created universe is nearly as bad as believing in a flat earth, or something more specific like the Earth being created in literally seven days?

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Wait, are you saying that believing in a divinely created universe is nearly as bad as believing in a flat earth, or something more specific like the Earth being created in literally seven days?

Believers in special creation. The evidence for phylogenetic succession is far too strong. Of course the young earthers are even worse because that entails rejecting the geological evidence too. As for seven day absolutists, they're beyond even that.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. I'm at the beginning of season 3 and liking it, but there's a lack of self awareness of some of the more ridiculous nonsense lately like Black Sky. And the secret identity element does make sense but has some annoying aspects that I really don't miss in the movies.

Exactly. If you try to establish a grounded and realistic universe then you'll have all sorts of consistency issues if you try and introduce more fantastical elements.

DvergrBlod

Oct 26, 2017
Is there any good analyses about that new Loki series logo? I mean there has to be a reason for those different letter designs?

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I have a scene proposal for Thor: L&T, it's not a fully fleshed out scene, but more of a basic idea for one that I think would be a funny setup, and then slip it to Taika to be used in the next film.

Since we know that L&T will take place before GotG3 due to reasons, but Thor was last seen with the Guardians leaving earth after Endgame, that will need to be addressed before Thor takes on a whole new adventure with Jane and Valkyrie.

so my idea is that Taika has the MCU's first Pre-Movie scene/one-shot. But disguises it as the start of the actual movie.

The usual Marvel Studios fanfare shot comes on, flipping though the Phase4 characters/scenes, and then it jumps to a scene with Thor and the Guardians. maybe a quick Montage of a few adventuring/pit stops, Thor getting back in shape, and Starlord generally being annoyed at Thor usurping "Team Lead" status from him.
cue the title card Asgardians of the Galaxy.
FjdUP37.png
(minus the Vol. 3)
this will generally leave the audience in brief state of confusion as everyone thought they came to see Thor: L&T.

It will cut back to AotG where they are adventuring and Starlord is visibly irritated and constantly fueding with Thor for control of the ship and the crew, Rocket is indifferent and kinda enjoying that Starlord is so bothered by him. this carries on for about 5 minutes. situation with tons of humor like Taika would want, and Thor and Starlord and the rest of the crews interactions on this would be hilarious (I'll leave all that to Taika to figure out). something then distracts Thor, and causes him to need to attend to other matters, so he then leaves the "nick name for Rocket" in charge, further infuriating Starlord and he leaves the team. thor then uses the teleports off, and we see the Guardians with everyone kinda confused about the sudden departure of Thor, but Starlord seizing the opportunity to take charge, gets ship ready and fly's off before Thor could potentially return.

Credits start to roll, and then in what appears to be a mid credit scene, Thor shows up in Asgard (or how ever the actual movie is supposed to start) and then the real title credit shows up: Thor: Love and Thunder.
that's when the real movie starts.

this addresses where they were left off, gives us a taste of the Asguardians of the Galaxy with that Taika sense of humor, and then leaves GotG3 to be whatever James Gunn had in mind from his original script.

Thoughts?

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Does anyone know where I can do the digital + disk combo for Endgame? I want to watch it asap and purchase it Digital on Tuesday but also want the disk for collection purposes. I know I could always sell the code from the Blu-ray after the fact but that seems like more work.

Cocamantis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I have a scene proposal for Thor: L&T, it's not a fully fleshed out scene, but more of a basic idea for one that I think would be a funny setup, and then slip it to Taika to be used in the next film.

Since we know that L&T will take place before GotG3 due to reasons, but Thor was last seen with the Guardians leaving earth after Endgame, that will need to be addressed before Thor takes on a whole new adventure with Jane and Valkyrie.

so my idea is that Taika has the MCU's first Pre-Movie scene/one-shot. But disguises it as the start of the actual movie.

The usual Marvel Studios fanfare shot comes on, flipping though the Phase4 characters/scenes, and then it jumps to a scene with Thor and the Guardians. maybe a quick Montage of a few adventuring/pit stops, Thor getting back in shape, and Starlord generally being annoyed at Thor usurping "Team Lead" status from him.
cue the title card Asgardians of the Galaxy.
FjdUP37.png
(minus the Vol. 3)
this will generally leave the audience in brief state of confusion as everyone thought they came to see Thor: L&T.

It will cut back to AotG where they are adventuring and Starlord is visibly irritated and constantly fueding with Thor for control of the ship and the crew, Rocket is indifferent and kinda enjoying that Starlord is so bothered by him. this carries on for about 5 minutes. situation with tons of humor like Taika would want, and Thor and Starlord and the rest of the crews interactions on this would be hilarious (I'll leave all that to Taika to figure out). something then distracts Thor, and causes him to need to attend to other matters, so he then leaves the "nick name for Rocket" in charge, further infuriating Starlord and he leaves the team. thor then uses the teleports off, and we see the Guardians with everyone kinda confused about the sudden departure of Thor, but Starlord seizing the opportunity to take charge, gets ship ready and fly's off before Thor could potentially return.

Credits start to roll, and then in what appears to be a mid credit scene, Thor shows up in Asgard (or how ever the actual movie is supposed to start) and then the real title credit shows up: Thor: Love and Thunder.
that's when the real movie starts.

this addresses where they were left off, gives us a taste of the Asguardians of the Galaxy with that Taika sense of humor, and then leaves GotG3 to be whatever James Gunn had in mind from his original script.

Thoughts?
I had the same idea for the Guardians getting rid of Thor. I'm sure we'll see this in a post-credit scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.