• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Will you be doing any live coverage of the event through twitter or something like that? The fact that there is no livestream really sucks for us overseas fans.

Will live Tweet the panel. They smack down people trying to periscope them. But pictures and live tweets are fine. Some people do film the whole thing (not live) for after the fact, but I'm not going to do that this time since I'll be live tweeting everything.

For that panel, live Tweeting is best since it's the fastest way to get info out. Blog live blogging plugins are too slow in comparison.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Will live Tweet the panel. They smack down people trying to periscope them. But pictures and live tweets are fine. Some people do film the whole thing (not live) for after the fact, but I'm not going to do that this time since I'll be live tweeting everything.

For that panel, live Tweeting is best since it's the fastest way to get info out. Blog live blogging plugins are too slow in comparison.

Excellent, thanks!

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Looks like the Russos are bringing back Community!

For the Russo Brothers, Avengers: Endgame was the culmination of an unprecedented four-film, seven-year journey through the Marvel Cinematic Universe that has included some of the most iconic experiences in modern cinema. Come hear directors Joe and Anthony Russo reflect on Endgame and their epic road to it as they segue into life beyond Marvel with their new company, AGBO, which happens to include an exciting array of new and old creative friends. With AGBO, the Russo Brothers aim to nurture talent and create best-in-class content while keeping creative control fully in the hands of the artists. Moderated by Collider's editor-in-chief Steven Weintraub.
Friday July 19, 2019 11:00am - 11:50am

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Some "Blip" questions answered

Specifically, you have Aunt May raising money for people that were displaced by the blip. What sort of blip nitty-gritty did you get into as a writers?

Erik Sommers:
You spend a lot of time in a room with the team just talking about all this stuff. There were some things we definitely talked about a lot. "Okay, let's say you were in an airplane and you blipped and then you come back, but the airplane is not in the same place anymore, so do you just blip back in the sky? And then is it half of all life? Does that mean, like, cats and animals? And what happens to the bees? They're already having so much trouble, the bees." So we got bogged down in the nitty-gritty.

What answer did Marvel give for the airplane question?

McKenna:
We were told that when Bruce [Banner] brings everyone back that he accounted for that, that was part of his wish. Everyone came back safe and sound. We don't have to worry about people falling out of the skies.

And the bees?

McKenna:
The bees were fine too. They all came right back to their hives.

But animals did disappear during the blip.

McKenna:
All life forms. Even down to the bacteria in your digestive system. We were wondering if we could make a whole plot point about people's digestive systems that were really screwed up.

Because Peter is a hero on the ground level, we wanted to see everything in the most trying part of a person's life in a way which is high school. We really wanted to get into the nitty-gritty of it all, but in the most fun and the most realistic way to deal with these great cosmic things that happened in the previous movies.

Much more at the link!

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully Sony will be reasonable and sign a deal with Marvel Studios for another set of movies beyond the third Spider-man. The state of the MCU right now is perfect for the Dark Reign storyline.

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Hopefully Sony will be reasonable and sign a deal with Marvel Studios for another set of movies beyond the third Spider-man. The state of the MCU right now is perfect for the Dark Reign storyline.

It seems like Venom 2 is up in the air right now.

CB: What about a Venom sequel? Just an outright sequel to that movie?

AP: Yes, that is in the works.

CB: That's on the way? Okay, cool. Any time table?

AP: No time table.

"No time table" is interesting because it was originally going to be October 2020. Woody Harrelson just signed on to a Netflix movie that will keep him tied up through December.

Morbius is coming, but that October 2020 date Sony set is now up in the air?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
It seems like Venom 2 is up in the air right now.

"No time table" is interesting because it was originally going to be October 2020. Woody Harrelson just signed on to a Netflix movie that will keep him tied up through December.

Morbius is coming, but that October 2020 date Sony set is now up in the air?

That's strange. What could it mean? Maybe a Venom integration in the MCU in exchange for a new Spider-man deal, hence a possible need to rework Venom 2? Or the exact opposite, a new plan with Spider-man joining the Venomverse?

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Avengers: Endgame smashed box office records in the days following its release, becoming the quickest film ever to break the $2bn barrier and ranking as the second-highest grossing film in history after only 11 days. The Marvel epic is still creeping towards Avatar's top spot and, with the recent announcement of a strategic theatrical re-release including unseen footage, looks very likely to overtake it any time now.

The culmination of the 22-film "Infinity Saga", Endgame represents an impressive accomplishment – not only for Marvel but also for the franchising trend in Hollywood, which shows no signs of slowing down either.

I've been researching how the landscape of Western cinema has been undeniably transformed by a shift towards the production of film sequels. Looking at the raw data, I found that box office takings of the most economically successful films of the past 17 years are a good way to understand the dominance of franchising on the film industry.

Of the 100 highest-grossing films worldwide since 2001, 86 are part of a cinematic franchise (all figures taken from Box Office Mojo). Of this 86, eight were the first instalments of their respective franchises, meaning 78% of the most economically successful films since 2001 have been sequels, follow-ups or new instalments to existing series.

The number of franchises represented among these 86 films is 32, so each franchise has on average two or three episodes to its name within the top 100, though the Marvel Cinematic Universe boasts 12 films, the wizarding world of JK Rowling has nine (Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts) and Middle Earth has six (Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit).

Of the 14 non-franchise films within the top 100, three have sequels in planning or production (Avatar, Frozen and Maleficent), while two have had sequels rumoured (Zootopia and Coco). Three more of this 14 are remakes or live-action versions of existing films (Beauty and the Beast, Alice in Wonderland, The Jungle Book).

This leaves just six of the 100 most successful films since 2001 that are entirely original and not being franchised, extended or added to – Inception, Gravity, 2012, Inside Out, Up and Bohemian Rhapsody.

Edit: And this:

jjj-laugh.png

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Definitely go watch it. It wrapped the series nicely too.
FUCK YEAH
All 3 seasons
Thanks, it's pretty good so far and I'm glad I finally got myself to watch it. My main take is that he's a better Batman that Batman.

Definitely wouldn't fit with the tone of the MCU though, way too dark. I know this depiction Fisk gets a lot of praise but I'm honestly just not that interested in his story and I'd prefer if he was more Trumpian. And I hate Foggy.

Last edited:

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Some assembling and rocking the box office up this weekend is required, so I thought that with July 13th it only makes sense that the theme of my countdown update it's...

THIS:

Last edited:

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Some assembling and rocking the box office up this weekend is required, so I thought that with July 13th it only makes sense that the theme of my countdown update it's...

THIS:

You make it sound very exciting, and in one way of viewing, it is remarkable to see how close to the long-standing worldwide box office record this film is creeping. It's still a long way off, though, at the current rate of progress. Any prospects of a bump from the Spider-Man marketing must be over by now, so who is estimating that the film will eventually overtake that film with the blue aliens, Papyrus?

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
You make it sound very exciting, and in one way of viewing, it is remarkable to see how close to the long-standing worldwide box office record this film is creeping. It's still a long way off, though, at the current rate of progress. Any prospects of a bump from the Spider-Man marketing must be over by now, so who is estimating that the film will eventually overtake that film with the blue aliens, Papyrus?
It's a staggered re-release, which makes for some slow numbers overseas, but this weekend and the next should be good, since it's getting an widespread re-release in a lot of markets that are big for Endgame: Brazil, Argentina, India, Indonesia, Philippines and I'm probably forgetting some other locations. It's holding extremely well in the domestic market, and it should have at least $7m more in the tank from the domestic market alone, if not more. With the film only $13.8m away from the worldwide record, it's only a matter of time.

Also one thing important to consider: the actual numbers are skewed lower because we are only getting overseas updates in the Mondays, it's likely that the difference will be lower once the actuals come this next Monday. Either way, it's way too close to miss the record, and regardless of the Spider-Man bump, the film is still holding extremely well and working basically as a companion film for Far From Home. I still think it's possible to get there still in this month, and half of August at the latest.

I definitely think it's exciting and something that it should be celebrated by MCU fans, it's absolutely absurd what Marvel Studios has accomplished with these 23 films, and having Endgame to get to claim the title of biggest film of all time seems like the perfect accolade for what is arguably the best and biggest cinematic franchise of all time. We truly take for granted how fucking amazing these times are for fans of superheroes or comics, and I'm thankful I'm getting to witness it first hand.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I definitely think it's exciting and something that it should be celebrated by MCU fans, it's absolutely absurd what Marvel Studios has accomplished with these 23 films, and having Endgame to get to claim the title of biggest film of all time seems like the perfect accolade for what is arguably the best and biggest cinematic franchise of all time. We truly take for granted how fucking amazing these times are for fans of superheroes or comics, and I'm thankful I'm getting to witness it first hand.

My feelings exactly. The MCU is such an impressive achievement that it deserves that little cherry on top.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I was thinking about how much I love Spider-Man: Far From Home even more so than I love Captain America: The Winter Soldier or Civil War and I had a realization:

When I saw The Winter Soldier, I knew that I wanted the Russo Brothers to take over the Avengers franchise. After Far From Home, I really want Jon Watts to finish his Spider-Man's trilogy that might defy even Cap's in term of excellence and go for the actual big leagues:

Get Jon Watts to direct either the X-Men or the Avengers sequel. Hear me out: few teen assembly films work as well and feel as genuine as both Homecoming and Far From Home. In a lot of ways, there is a certain tradition already in the MCU with the directors jumping to bigger projects.

What I'm saying is that I know that James Gunn would do an excellent job, same for Ryan Coogler. But there is something special about Jon Watts direction and I do think that he is on the path of earning something like I'm suggesting in the future.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
I don't see a reason to assume Gunn would do a good job with Avengers, nor would Watts. Plus, there is little assembly about Homecoming or FFH. Only Peter and MJ had anything of significance to do in FFH, with Ned turned into a (fun) running gag and Flash being pretty close to absent. A far cry from the likes of Avengers, AoU, IW, Endgame or GotG 1 & 2.

Anyway, I really enjoyed FFH, but I still don't think Watts is that special a director. Another Spider-Man film? Sure. X-Men or Avengers? No thanks.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Yet Endgame fails to take (even get near) TFA's domestic record.
It's not a Christmas release, neither needs the domestic record to become the biggest film of all time. And this is coming from someone that loves Star Wars as much as Marvel.

Yeah but saying "MCU is bigger than Star Wars everywhere" is wrong, at least for now.
Nothing is bigger than the MCU when it comes to a cinematic universe. Absolutely nothing, not even Star Wars. The scope that the MCU is going for is just too big to get matched, and probably nothing in our lifetime will. And it's okay for Star Wars to have a smaller scope, it doesn't make it less important, maybe the opposite: every chapter matters more.

Last edited:

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I don't see a reason to assume Gunn would do a good job with Avengers, nor would Watts. Plus, there is little assembly about Homecoming or FFH. Only Peter and MJ had anything of significance to do in FFH, with Ned turned into a (fun) running gag and Flash being pretty close to absent. A far cry from the likes of Avengers, AoU, IW, Endgame or GotG 1 & 2.

Anyway, I really enjoyed FFH, but I still don't think Watts is that special a director. Another Spider-Man film? Sure. X-Men or Avengers? No thanks.
I am 100% in agreement with this post. FFH was really enjoyable but not top-tier MCU, and I'd rather them select another director for X-Men

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

In my modest opinion, Far From Home is not only the best Spider-Man film of all time, but top tier MCU, both in story, heart, relentless action and I just see a lot of what I saw in The Winter Soldier with the Russo Brothers. Jon Watts is going to be fucking HUGE. I love James Gunn like it is extremely well documented here, but I do think that Watts if he keeps proving and outdoing himself should be considered for either X-Men or the next Avengers film.

Whoever he picks, I have complete trust in Feige at this point.
Same. But I do think Feige realizes the potential there. FFH is special. Also elevated Homecoming which already was fucking amazing into a whole new level.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Yeah but saying "MCU is bigger than Star Wars everywhere" is wrong, at least for now.

I didn't say that. I'm taking the MCU as a significant achievement over a decade or so. The worldwide success counts but it isn't the whole story. This is a series of sometimes critically acclaimed films that have had immense success in a short period. Star Wars is a very successful franchise but for historical reasons it lacks penetration in several important markets. It's also had long periods of disappointment after the huge success of the original trilogy.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
That MCU Facebook pages talk has suddenly made me impatient about a Moon Knight MCU film or show.

Do it, Kevin. Dan Stevens is your man for that!

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Hear me and rejoice: this is the kind of shit we will NEVER have to endure again since we are done with Singer and Kinberg shit:

On the topic, last night when I was supposed to be studying for an exam I ended up daydreaming about Wolverine's MCU look for about 2 hours. As I scrolled through all of the more popular mutants, I think Wolverine might be the hardest of the mutant designs to faithfully translate to live action. That cowl is just... something else. BUT it's so fucking iconic. After the greatness of Mysterio I don't doubt that they'll find a way to do Wolverine proud, but I still can't imagine it'll be a 1:1 translation from the comic.

I think in the end Hugh Jackman nailed the role so fucking hard that people started accepting the more civilian look for Wolverine... as long as he had the hair and the black leather was nowhere to be found. However, a great man once said...

Jonathan Hickman said:
OK, so one of my big rules is that mutants wear mutant clothes and not human ones.

I think it's safe to say Wolvie will debut with a yellow and blue outfit more faithful to the comic design than anything we've seen before on film. But head pieces in the MCU have always been iffy. Looking at Wanda, for instance, the head piece from her comic design is just gone altogether. I'm sure they tried it but it just didn't work in live action.

I found this concept that I really like:

9ac2c758c98d80d22c09ee2j9s.jpg

There is history in the comics between Captain America and Wolverine circa World War II, and I do think that will be a part of his MCU "origin story". Wolverine's outfit will take a lot of influence from Cap's design wise, but obviously with Wolverine's patented color scheme instead. Cap's helmet was modified for live action, as the helmet wings just didn't work in live action. Similarly, I think Wolverine's cowl will be a lot less exaggerated compared to the one we all know, but the influence will still be clear. The design above resembles his design from Whedon's Astonishing X-Men.

Again, like Cap, I think we'll see a lot of helmetless Wolverine just because that shit will fall off sometimes mid fight. And they'll want the actor's face not obstructed.

Finally, the cowl/helmet itself. The white eyes design has never been easy in live action (unless you just say fuck it like they did with Deadpool, where he looks that way because it's cool... but tonally I don't think the MCU X-Men won't be able to pull that off). Luckily, the MCU was able to do the impossible and logically give Spider-Man a reason for the eyes on his mask to move like they did in the comics and cartoons. That reason being focus since his Spidey senses were all over the place... but also Iron Man tech. It always comes back to tech. There's tech in them shits! So don't think too hard about it.

I'm hoping Wolverine gets the same treatment. What Shuri is to T'Challa and Tony is to Peter, Beast will be to Wolverine and the X-Men. He'll program some cool ass tech into that cowl, giving a logical reason for the white eyes to finally become a part of Wolverine's live action design.

And there's your MCU Wolverine design, complete with logic because the people demand logic.

tl;dr Feige probably figured all this shit out 7 years ago

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
"test offers"? First I'm hearing that term.

As in, we have a group of actors we like for the role and now we want you to do some screen tests?

Status
Not open for further replies.