• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
With them getting X-Men and FF4 not too long ago, I would imagine things might still be a bit in flux for the later films.
I feel like they can act more quickly on F4 since they don't need to be set up for nearly as long. That plus it's already been four years since Fant4stic.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I mean if they did it a full blowout for 3 I don't see why they don't do the same for 4.
Kevin Feige has said that their phase 4 announcement won't be revealing films as far out as their Phase 3 announcement.

He said, "I don't think we'll be announcing five or six years, but we know sort of where we want to head in the next five or six years."

He's also mentioned Marvel not doing "Phases" anymore, so I think the idea is giving themselves more flexibility by not announcing films too early. Just the whole structure of each phase having to culminate with an Avengers team up film as the centerpiece of an event is something I think they'll want to change up for the same reasons as well.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I totally expect them to announce 3 years of content. So Black Widow, Eternals, Shang-Chi, Doctor Strange 2, Black Panther 2, Thor 4 and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. And one more maybe, maybe two if we're lucky.

We will get full title reveals for them all. They'll announce the whole cast for Eternals. And if we are lucky, they'll bring out Shang-Chi himself. They will also give us little details for each movie like they did during the Phase 3 reveal. And show concept art for at least Black Widow, Eternals, Shang-Chi, Doctor Strange 2 and GotG3.

That's what I expect.

The thing is, I also want to be surprised. So I'm hoping for at least one or two genuine surprises. And to me, that would be something like an announcement for Deadpool, Ms. Marvel or Nova.

I do not expect an Ironheart announcement. That character may have a script in the Black Vault. But there's a bunch of scripts in the Black Vault. I'm not sure what to think of the Avengers franchise. We know Marvel Studios aren't much into repeating the concept of Phases, so maybe they'll hold back for now. I kinda don't expect Young or Dark Avengers. And instead they could mention a Young Avengers movie or show for Disney+ at D23. Or announce an Avengers movie the closer we get to 2023. That said, it would make sense to announce an Avengers on Saturday and get us hyped for the next chapter in that franchise, so I dunno.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I barely know anything re: Shang Chi, so I'm very excited about that.

Do y'all think he'll have an overhaul in terms of his outfit/powerset/origin? The red suit looks alright, but it's a bit plain looking imo. The multiplying power (I think it's temporary and only recent-ish? Again, really don't know about him) could lend itself well to a martial arts film, so that'd be cool.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
I'm gonna get all the bingos

ae0inZL.jpg

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a round up anywhere of all the Marvel figures on the SDCC show floor?

I need shots of that sweet sweet fat Thor Hot Toy

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Seemingly came out of nowhere too so i'm not sure if it's people getting caught up in the record-breaking hype or what. Either way, it's impressive.

I think it could also be the fact that there haven't really been other break-out hits during June or July so people may just be resigning themselves to seeing Endgame again. My wife and I had some friends ask us if we wanted to see Endgame again just a few weeks back.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Is EG scheduled to leave theaters? Cuz I'm sure it's gonna keep trickling in money and pass Avatar but 3bil is surely out of reach, isn't it?
It'll stay in theatres in North America for at least another 3-5 weeks. Internationally, it has probably half of that and has already been pulled from several countries. $3B is definitely out of reach and the closest realistic milestone is going to be $2.79B and then (although unlikely) $2.8B.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
The McFeely and Markus panel is over. One of the ideas they toyed with at some point was pretty dark:

Russos panel up next.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Did anyone feel relieved after Mysterio on how mutants with reality warping powers could actually be shown on the big screen? I like Legion, but it's pretty hard to follow, but after FFH, I think Proteus could actually be done really well.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
The McFeely and Markus panel is over. One of the ideas they toyed with at some point was pretty dark:

Russos panel up next.

That would have been dark AF! But also pretty cool. As it stands the 2014 timeline, is the best since Thanos and co just leave and never comeback. This route, that timeline would have been screwed, despite Thanos never snapping.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017

Russos panel up next.

I think Thanos' decapitation seemed to be pushing the PG-13 rating, but I don't see how a human character being decapitated would have gotten a pass.

Interesting idea though. It would show how cunning and ruthless warlord Thanos is, like he's figured out who is biggest threats would be in the future and puts a stop to them in the past before going to the future to finish them off again and take the stones.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

Russos panel up next.

dang. I actually love that. makes you hate 2014 Thanos a bit more and could have made the final battle a bit more satisfying.

would have been awesome, but definitely pushing pg-13 at that point.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I think it would have worked just as well, if Thanos went to kill the Avengers in 2014 and just brought Cap's dead body (instead of a decapitated head) with him to 2023. It would be the same message but with a pg13 friendly presentation.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I think it would have worked just as well, if Thanos went to kill the Avengers in 2014 and just brought Cap's dead body (instead of a decapitated head) with him to 2023. It would be the same message but with a pg13 friendly presentation.
Or Cap's shield and said something along the lines of "I have one of those too. I pried this one from your cold dead body, along with the rest of your friends."

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Or Cap's shield and said something along the lines of "I have one of those too. I pried this one from your cold dead body, along with the rest of your friends."

This would have been better than Steve's head. It would have shown that Tony's vision of the future did come to pass, but in a different timeline.

I mean with the decapitated head thing I could 100% see Thanos doing that, but it's too much for the MCU I think to have a hero, let alone Captain America, shown like that.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah it wouldn't have to be his body... It could've been his broken shield - it would be as if Tony's nightmare came true 100% true in that timeline.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
This would have been better than Steve's head. It would have shown that Tony's vision of the future did come to pass, but in a different timeline.

I mean with the decapitated head thing I could 100% see Thanos doing that, but it's too much for the MCU I think to have a hero, let alone Captain America, shown like that.
Yup, that would have brought the whole vision and Thanos and Tony's connection full-circle. You could see the look in Tony's eyes like "I won't let that happen this time" and give even more emotions to his sacrifice.

Yeah it wouldn't have to be his body... It could've been his broken shield - and would have been a good explanation for how he could perform so damn well in the climactic battle.
There was so many different ways they could have done it that was PG-13 appropriate. Now i'm a bit disappointed we didn't get that.

Unrelated but kind of related question, in Ragnarok, when Hela catches Thor's hammer, she is able to keep it lifted and then destroys it. Does this mean she was also worthy of wielding Mjolnir?

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, that would have brought the whole vision and Thanos and Tony's connection full-circle. You could see the look in Tony's eyes like "I won't let that happen this time" and give even more emotions to his sacrifice.

There was so many different ways they could have done it that was PG-13 appropriate. Now i'm a bit disappointed we didn't get that.

Unrelated but kind of related question, in Ragnarok, when Hela catches Thor's hammer, she is able to keep it lifted and then destroys it. Does this mean she was also worthy of wielding Mjolnir?

She didn't really wield it, as far as I could tell. She was just physically strong enough to keep it from flying along its intended path. So, I don't think she was worthy

Just the way it was shaking, as if it was still trying to follow Thor's intent, rather than coming to a rest in her hands, leads me to believe she was overriding the enchantment via brute strength.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
She didn't really wield it, as far as I could tell. She was just physically strong enough to keep it from flying along its intended path. So, I don't think she was worthy

Just the way it was shaking, as if it was still trying to follow Thor's intent, rather than coming to a rest in her hands, leads me to believe she was overriding the enchantment via brute strength.

It was Odin's enchantment, and Odin was newly dead. As his children, Thor and Hela both had claim to the Odinforce at that point, so the enchantment was all wibbly-wobbly.

That's my half-assed noprize explanation.

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been off the grid for a few days( having a baby) any juicy MCU rumors heading into comic con weekend??

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
The panel began with a description of a lost scene from Infinity War where, in the battle on Titan, Doctor Strange was going to send Thanos through a mindscape where he'd be faced with all his past crimes and, ultimately, be put up in front of the Living Tribunal, who would judge him guilty. The scene was apparently shot but cut from the scene because detouring a big fight for an LSD trip slowed it down too much.
Maaaaaan.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Another plus of that was it was able to fix a mistake they made. Originally, in Infinity War, Hulk became "Smart Hulk" in the final act and he won a big victory against Thanos' army. But they realized that was "tone deaf." Too heroic a moment too late in the movie where everyone was about to die. So, it got cut. But...they'd already shot Endgame where he was Smart Hulk throughout the film. So they had to fix it's beginning before the jump and then the jump made the footage that was shot work.

I'd argue that I like the original idea more than what we got. Relegating probably the biggest character development point for Banner/Hulk to an off-screen mention moment felt cheap.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue that I like the original idea more than what we got. Relegating probably the biggest character development point for Banner/Hulk to an off-screen mention moment felt cheap.

If Smart-Hulk was to be part of the resolution to Banner/Hulk's issues in IW, i'd agree that it would have been better.

I love both movies, but I think Hulk/Banner character development got the short end of the stick.

Also having big heroic moments that end up with the heroes losing anyway would have been so bitter it would have been awesome. That's basically what we got when Thor showed up anyway.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
If Smart-Hulk was to be part of the resolution to Banner/Hulk's issues in IW, i'd agree that it would have been better.
It still was. It's exactly the resolution to his issues in IW, as he says, but it's less cheap than if it happened during battle in IW. If it suddenly happened during the final battle of IW it would've felt undeserved and it wouldn't fit with the downer ending at all. Now it really got a place to shine, plus you actually get the feeling he had to put some effort into getting there. I prefer the version we got endlessly more.

Status
Not open for further replies.