• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
They want to cast an openly gay actor for the role. Madden isn't openly gay. So it's probably someone who hasn't been revealed yet.
Oh, right, I forgot about that (I guess I saw some talk here about Madden and assumed he was gay -because others assumed so-, but I really don't think that's the case). It's cool that they're doing that, I hope the character is important within the film. Hercules?

The cast is already diverse as hell. Particularly loving Kumail. Dude got jacked.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Oh, right, I forgot about that (I guess I saw some talk here about Madden and assumed he was gay -because others assumed so-, but I really don't think that's the case). It's cool that they're doing that, I hope the character is important within the film. Hercules?

The cast is already diverse as hell. Particularly loving Kumail. Dude got jacked.

Personally I think it's Starfox/Eros. Since Feige said the character was married with a family.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is literally crazy talk.

Parker is the most recognizable and marketable hero marvel has. Deadpool and Iron Man close #2s.

Ms. Marvel is B list at best.

You completely misread what dude was saying.

He's not denying that Peter isn't popular but among characters created in the past 10-20 years Kamela has become super popular super fast.

Kamela, Miles, and Spider-Gwen have gotten insanely popular relative to how long the characters have been around.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Silly, but I wonder about what kind of look Kit will have in the film. He must be tired of having to sport long-ish hair and the beard, so I can see them going for something different.

Curious to see the armour too. I enjoyed the little I read of Black Knight.

Oct 31, 2017

This is true. Spider-man is not in my Top 10 favorite super heroes. Not even my Top 10 Marvel super heroes. He might not even make the Top 20 Marvel list. However, it's undeniable the character's worldwide appeal and love from the fans. To say Ms Marvel is like Spiderman is simply wrong.

That is not, however, to say that these other heroes can't get to that level of popularity at some point, but the proof is in the pudding.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
When they announced Kit Harrington as Dane Whitman (Black Knight) in Eternals, it made so much sense how he is made to be the human perspective into this mythology as opposed to just adapting Margo. There's no need for her, when this character was added. It would be cool if Sersi don't know about her ancestry and abilities, and that they together will discover this whole thing.

Zero-ELEC

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
An executive making money to the company he/she works for is irrelevant. You heard it here first folks!
Unless you're part of the company (which, I assume you're not), yes it's irrelevant.

Rothman is famously a pit of bad creative decisions. As a person that's going to be sitting in the audience, that's all you're getting. You're not going to make money of these movies.

Oct 31, 2017
Unless you're part of the company (which, I assume you're not), yes it's irrelevant.

Rothman is famously a pit of bad creative decisions. As a person that's going to be sitting in the audience, that's all you're getting. You're not going to make money of these movies.

I own stock in Sony, so I do care what decisions they make that will affect the shares that I own.

Even if I didn't I like to look at things objectively and looking at it objectively Rothman is not doing anything wrong from a financial perspective. From a creative perspective and as a fan? Yes, Rothman is not creative at all and I would prefer SM and their lore in the MCU, but it's much more complicated than that.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I like that Bucky is finally back to his short hair, and that's a pretty retro-look. Liking that Falcon suit as well. And the shield in the sky.

fff2gjds.jpg

Nice edit:

Last edited:

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
You completely misread what dude was saying.

He's not denying that Peter isn't popular but among characters created in the past 10-20 years Kamela has become super popular super fast.

Kamela, Miles, and Spider-Gwen have gotten insanely popular relative to how long the characters have been around.

No I didn't. Read what he wrote again. That dude is high as a kite and I'm not the only person that called it out for being ridiculous.

"Ms. Marvel is one of Marvel's most popular heroes..."

This one is heavily questionable. With no TV or Movie appearances to her name (yet), You need to lean on print to get an idea of how popular she is.
And by print she's...not doing that well.

For the month of July, The Ms. Marvel Annual was the 152nd best selling book overall, and the 86th overall best selling title Marvel put out that month with an estimated 15,000 copies.
Issue #5 of the Magnificent Ms. Marvel (this book JUST started, new books tend to sell better than ones on their 15th or 20th issues) was the 164th best selling title, and the 94th best selling title Marvel put out with an estimated 13,000 copies.

This is pretty bad. To give you an idea where Marvel's other titles were that month:

Ignoring team books (House of X and Powers of X were #1 and #2)

Amazing Spider Man #25 was 3rd overall and 3rd from Marvel, with an estimated 113,000 copies sold.
Black Cat was #8 and #3, with an estimated 83,000 copies.
Immortal Hulk was #9 and #5, with about 83,000 copies.
Aero #1 was #12 and #6
Invisible Woman was #15 and #7
Amazing Spider Man #26 was #18 and #8
Venom was #20 and #9
Immortal Hulk was #23 and #11
Loki #1 was #25 and #12
Silver Surfer Black #2 was #30 and #17 with about 47,000 copies
Captain America #12 was #35 and #23
Jane Foster: Valkyrie was #39 #25
Thor #15 was #43 and #29
Sword Master was #44 and #30
Daredevil #8 was #55 and #35
Deadpool was #57 and #37
Thanos was #65 and #40, with about 33,000 copies

Other titles for the month that outsold Ms. Marvel by significant margins? Miles Morales, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Spider Gwen/Ghost Spider, Punisher, Death's Head, Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Captain Marvel, Conan, Superior Spider-Man, and Domino.

Even if you restrict that list to "people only created within the past 20 years" she's still behind virtually all of them.

That being said, the diamond lists have a huge blind spot- they don't reflect titles sold digitally, or through venues like Scholastic. Ms. Marvel is one of those titles that kinda/sorta skews towards younger audiences, and definitely is targeted at female audiences so there may be a decent amount of issues we can't see reflected in those channels.

The only significant titles that did WORSE than Ms. Marvel that marvel puts out were titles that similarly skew towards young women- Impossible Wasp, Squirrel Girl, Moon Girl, Ironheart, and Shuri. Ms. Marvel's team up book (Champions) did similarly poorly, selling at #166 and #95.

She isn't one of Marvel's most popular heroes in print by any means- even if we assume Scholastic is pushing titles. They don't move THAT many copies. Ms. Marvel and the rest of those titles DO hit a demographic that Marvel is looking to grow (young, female, diverse audiences as opposed to 35 year old legacy fans) so they get a bit more rope than traditional titles do.

...the closest thing to another spider man marvel has

This is delusional. There are a LOT of characters that have caught on faster with broader audiences and easily pushed multiple books- Deadpool is the obvious one here. He guest stars in nearly everyone else's titles, carries multiple books by himself, has several videogame appearances including a standalone and two blockbuster films. Deadpool was technically created in 1991, but the concept for that character (basically a deathstroke ripoff) has little resemblance to the modern interpretation which was revamped by Joe Kelly during his 1997 series, 22 years ago.

Captain America and Iron Man after the Avengers hit are somewhat behind Deadpool (though this is a tough one to gauge) as is Venom. If you really want to get nitpicky, Jessica Jones' Netflix series was by all accounts phenomenally popular as was her standalone series (Alias) when Bendis was writing it. It's not currently running, and Netflix never published any ratings for their series, but it's not hard to tag Jessica Jones as also being a stronger IP right now- Jones was created in 2001.

Ms. Marvel is nowhere close to the level of those characters. "But she's getting a TV series so-" Doesn't hold much weight either. So are Moon Knight and the Eternals. current popularity doesn't seem to have much to do with what shows up on screen, and those last two have been bottom basement IP for a VERY long time.

..she is peter parker for the new generation

See the above. PETER PARKER has been the Peter Parker of the next generation since the Mid 1960s. Boomers, Gen X, Millennials...Spider Man is the Spider Man of their generation and this isn't likely to change, with Pete being as popular as he's ever been.

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the She Hulk show will be about her being a lawyer, which would be the first time an MCU property is just about everyday stuff, or if it'll be more about superhero type stuff.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I wonder if the She Hulk show will be about her being a lawyer, which would be the first time an MCU property is just about everyday stuff, or if it'll be more about superhero type stuff.

The lawyer thing has been such a part of She-Hulk's character that it's tough to see them ditching it completely.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
If that Eternals casting call is true (which I have strong doubts about), then I'm pretty sure "Karen" is Hayek's Ajax and she was never actually meant to be human. It sure as hell sounds a lot more like her than Dane.

The studio is looking to cast an actress in her early 30s for the role of "KAREN." Open to any nationality or ethnicity particularly Middle Eastern, African and Native American. Powerful, a timeless quality, a leader. Warm, nurturing and intuitive… AKA she can kick- ass but had warmth. Should have an international/ timeless feel.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Black Widow poster. Red Guardian looks amazing. Yelena looks great. And this is the closest we've come to Nat's comic book suit. There's also concept art of Nat in her new white suit.

Last edited:

luca

Oct 25, 2017
WandaVision poster from D23.

I feel like the outside world through the window being black and white, and everything in the apartment being in color signifies that this is a reality Wanda has created in her apartment. The red coming out of the radio signalling audio could also be a visual cue at her using her reality warping power.

Notice the shadow in the top-left too. That's Scarlet Witch's headpiece in the comic books.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
WandaVision poster from D23.

I feel like the outside world through the window being black and white, and everything in the apartment being in color signifies that this is a reality Wanda has created in her apartment. The red coming out of the radio signalling audio could also be a visual cue at her using her reality warping power.

Notice the shadow in the top-left too. That's Scarlet Witch's headpiece in the comic books.

Oh damn, she's finally getting her headpiece.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I can't decide if I want a TV show for X-Men or a film. So many stories to be told, I think I'm leaning towards a show.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
You think they can do let's say 8 seasons with 2 films in between that stretch?

I feel like it'd be brutal for the cast but I'm game for anything!

I don't think they'd do one cast for tv show -> movie -> tv show

But I could see New Mutants or another sub team getting a show with characters from the films actually guest starring.

Like everyone was originally expecting shield to do.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017

But I could see New Mutants or another sub team getting a show with characters from the films actually guest starring.

Given how big the X-Men franchise is, I feel like mutants being introduced into the MCU will warrant a movie.

But then a spin-off TV show about the academy would be kind of cool. Cable and Scarlett Witch retconned?

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

No, but what they'd do is do solo characters on Disney+. Like a Weapon X origin, the Kitty Pryde movie Fox was planning turned into a series, a Storm series, etc; then team them up in a movie. Or do a show like X-Factor Investigations.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
The last report that said anything about terms from THR (I think) mentioned that Rothman was willing to go like 25% which suggests to me that Sony is the one that actually really wants the deal despite their posturing that they think they're good enough to go on their own (they know that trying to continue on post FFH outside of the MCU is a dice roll they don't want to make) and that Disney is the one holding out.

Still, I've ran out of hope.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man being all over Marvel Land in California is so sad. Is he gonna just be a silhouette!?

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
The last report that said anything about terms from THR (I think) mentioned that Rothman was willing to go like 25% which suggests to me that Sony is the one that actually really wants the deal despite their posturing that they think they're good enough to go on their own (they know that trying to continue on post FFH outside of the MCU is a dice roll they don't want to make) and that Disney is the one holding out.

Still, I've ran out of hope.

It's been five days since Deadline ran the article, and literally every Disney exec including Iger, Horn, and Bergman have been in Anaheim for the last four days.

Status
Not open for further replies.