• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
With Kevin Feige announcing 10 projects up till 2021 during Comic Con and saying he has 11 projects up till 2021, and Spider-Man not being a secure deal after all, I'm wondering if one of today's three announced shows is for 2020-2021, or if we're getting a surprise Deadpool movie announcement tomorrow, or if it was likely just a slip of the tongue.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
With Kevin Feige announcing 10 projects up till 2021 during Comic Con and saying he has 11 projects up till 2021, and Spider-Man not being a secure deal after all, I'm wondering if one of today's three announced shows is for 2020-2021, or if we're getting a surprise Deadpool movie announcement tomorrow, or if it was likely just a slip of the tongue.
It just means Spider-Man will still happen

Feige has a plan, you have got to keep faith

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
What are the chances Spider-Man gets mentioned tomorrow? :<

I just hope something reasonable is being worked out behind the scenes....

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
All these dope announcements have been good to ease the Spiderman pain.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
If it wasn't for Netflix we could have had a Daredevil show for Disney+.

b7qFefP.gif

Oct 31, 2017
Watch her be a mutant instead.

That would be lame as hell. Especially since they will undoubtedly retcon bae SW to be a mutant like she's supposed to.

I actually think there'll be as soft/hard reboot to some of those TV properties from netflix and abc. Daredevil, Punisher? Soft reboot. Inhumans definitely a full on reboot and Ms. Marvel is a good way to do that and introduce them and do them the right way.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
In Feige We Trust

He'll pull through.......he has to.
He's said words to the effect in the past year that having Spider-Man is absolutely essential to the MCU. Disney's not just going to ignore his wishes.

I really think that a deal is more likely than not given that Tom Holland has the option in the contract for a third movie. And I don't think it's mainly about the money for him but he'd still be losing all the money he'd be making from future MCU team up movies.

I also think the initial leak was maybe done by Sony and not Disney, because it seems insane to think Disney would do something like that just days before D23. It's more likely Sony would think Disney would agree to a deal by D23.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
He's said words to the effect recently that having Spider-Man is absolutely essential to the MCU.

I really think that a deal is more likely than not given that Tom Holland has the option in the contract for a third movie. And I don't think it's mainly about the money for him but he'd still be losing all the money he'd be making from future MCU team up movies.

I also think the initial leak was maybe done by Sony and not Disney, because it seems insane to think Disney would do something like that just days before D23. It's more likely Sony would think Disney would agree to a deal by D23.
I think a lot of the freak-out is because the details leaked mid-way. I'm just waiting to see how things shake out long-term.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
That would be lame as hell. Especially since they will undoubtedly retcon bae SW to be a mutant like she's supposed to.

I actually think there'll be as soft/hard reboot to some of those TV properties from netflix and abc. Daredevil, Punisher? Soft reboot. Inhumans definitely a full on reboot and Ms. Marvel is a good way to do that and introduce them and do them the right way.

Agreed.

If the Marvel Studios shows break out as big as I expect them to, I think Marvel Studios will be handling all live-action versions of marvel characters (excluding Sony's characters) from here on out.

Marvel Television will probably still be around but working on other ways to adapt characters.

But I expect any Marvel property that was adapted to get "definitive edtions" via the Marvel Studios version if Disney+ and Marvel Studios succeed.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I continue to hear from reliable sources that the notion Feige was too busy to do more Spider-Man films just doesn't hold water; he loves the character and the way those movies served the fans and the Marvel Universe. I continue to hear that Disney asked for a 25% stake where it would finance that much of the movie and receive that much of the equity upside. This arrangement would only have been for any pictures that involved Marvel and Feige.

It wasn't a forever deal, like the one Sony made years ago to continue as distributor of James Bond. Back then, Sony cut MGM into a co-financing relationship on the pictures The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and 21 Jump Street that gave MGM rights to co-finance future installments. The Spider-Man deal was only for pictures where Marvel lent Feige and the weight of its brand and cross pollination in Marvel movies. Still, it was a big ask of Sony, which had been getting a relative bargain at 5% of first-dollar gross. That 25% offer sat for half a year, and finally the conversation was the 50% co-fi stake, before Disney called the whole thing off.

Really wish Sony would have taken Disney up on that 25% offer.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

The offer sounds really good. But I can also understand why Sony would not want to be beholden to MCUs release schedule unless Disney makes some huge financial concessions like with the original deal.

Sony's sitting on a goldmine of like 900 spider-man characters. Theoretically enough to rival the frequency of MCUs output. Sony also has the rights to live-action TV, so looking at Spider-Man's potential on streaming services has got to be enticing as well. They see the potential to make a ton of money by putting out Spidey content more regularly than MCU would reasonably be able to do.

It hurts as a fan, but no ones is really looking at the opportunity costs both companies endure when they make such a deal. I think we're EXTREMELY lucky we got what we got out of the first deal. It's unheard of - so I'm not going to get my hopes up that they'll work something out.

My best case , fantasy scenario- Sony and Disney come to an agreement that allows Tom Holland's Parker to stay in MCU. They'd probably have to squeeze him into Phase 4 appearances to make it worthwhile for Sony - who wouldn't want to wait forever to use him in a movie.

Meanwhile Sony would agree to use Miles Morales as the anchor for their Sony Universe of Marvel Characters.

Then at some point in Phase 5, assuming Sony's Universe isn't utter shit, we get a crossover event where marvel and Sony's universes Collide.

Last edited:

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The offer sounds really good. But I can also understand why Sony would not want to be beholden to MCUs release schedule unless Disney makes some huge financial concessions like with the original deal.

Sony's sitting on a goldmine of like 900 spider-man characters. Theoretically enough to rival the frequency of MCUs output. Sony also has the rights to live-action TV, so looking at Spider-Man's potential on streaming services has got to be enticing as well. They see the potential to make a ton of money by putting out Spidey content more regularly than MCU would reasonably be able to do.

It hurts as a fan, but no ones is really looking at the opportunity costs both companies endure when they make such a deal. I think we're EXTREMELY lucky we got what we got out of the first deal. It's unheard of.
I don't think the deal marvel offer prevent Sony to make non mcu Spider-man movies. They could still do all the spiderverse spinoff they want for example

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the deal marvel offer prevent Sony to make non mcu Spider-man movies. They could still do all the spiderverse spinoff they want for example

You're right, but requiring Feige involvement would both limit Peter Parker films and take time away from releasing Disney's MCU films.

As it stands now Sony will likely use Holland's Parker in their Sony Universe - which stinks. I imagine any agreement would prevent that.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
You're right, but requiring Feige involvement would both limit Peter Parker films and take time away from releasing Disney's MCU films.

As it stands now Sony will likely use Holland's Parker in their Sony Universe - which stinks. I imagine any agreement would prevent that.
But at the same time, Disney would see the benefit of positive optics as well as Peter in other MCU.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Darcy Lewis from Thor and Thor: The Dark World is back for WandaVision!

Kat Dennings!!!!!

YASSSSS

I kinda wanted WandaVision to be a drama with Wanda breaking down and warping reality, but I'll take a sit-com too! I mean, they can do it all in this show.

Pretty sure the sitcom is Wanda's way of dealing with breaking down.... I absolutely predict a gut wrenching finale where the sitcom world starts to break down and get fucked as Wanda's reality starts to shatter.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
But at the same time, Disney would see the benefit of positive optics as well as Peter in other MCU.

I hate to say it, but I doubt the positive optics nor Spider-Man are worth that much to the MCU in the long run. They've got a ton of other characters to generate positive optics around and they won't have to sacrifice release dates nor hundreds of millions annually to Sony to get it.

For their efforts, Disney could have put a character they own in Far From Home's slot and kept the profits from that Billion dollar movie instead of watching Sony collect it all.

When it comes down to dollars and sense,
I get why talks stalled. The Spider-Man IP is a huge opportunity for Sony, and it really not that big of one for Disney, considering the success they have with all of the characters they do hold rights to and they fact they already own all the merchandising. I keep saying it, but it's a miracle we got what we got- Disney basically made 2 blockbuster movies for mostly Sony's benefit, ( no I'm not saying Disney is charitable or didn't get anything, I'm saying CW, IW and Endgame are the same massive hits with or without Spidey) So while disappointed, I can rest easy knowing that we ever had Spidey in the MCU at all.

Last edited:

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone kinda bummed out that Feige seemingly has zero interest in giving the Inhumans a legit shot? Scrap away that shitty short lived show and reboot . Black Bolt was always pretty cool imo.
I'm 100% convinced the Eternals movie replaced the Inhumans one after all the fiasco that happened. It's a shame because it could have been way more interesting given the characters available.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Is there meant to be another panel at D23 where we might get some movie news or was the Disney+ panel going to be the only one with Feige?

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I hate to say it, but I doubt the positive optics nor Spider-Man are worth that much to the MCU in the long run. They've got a ton of other characters to generate positive optics around and they won't have to sacrifice release dates nor hundreds of millions annually to Sony to get it.

For their efforts, Disney could have put a character they own in Far From Home's slot and kept the profits from that Billion dollar movie instead of watching Sony collect it all.

When it comes down to dollars and sense,
I get why talks stalled. The Spider-Man IP is a huge opportunity for Sony, and it really not that big of one for Disney, considering the success they have with all of the characters they do hold rights to and they fact they already own all the merchandising. I keep saying it, but it's a miracle we got what we got- Disney basically made 2 blockbuster movies for mostly Sony's benefit, ( no I'm not saying Disney is charitable or didn't get anything, I'm saying CW, IW and Endgame are the same massive hits with or without Spidey) So while disappointed, I can rest easy knowing that we ever had Spidey in the MCU at all.
So you don't think that they're gonna try negotiating again & that the dream is 100% dead?

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
So you don't think that they're gonna try negotiating again & that the dream is 100% dead?

I'm sure negotiations will continue. But I think In order for it to make financial sense to Disney, Sony is continually going to be asked to concede a lot more than they are comfortable doing. So I'm not optimistic.

The disparity between how the two companies stand to financially benefit from the Movie rights is massive. Spider-Man movies are everything to Sony Pictures and provide negligible benefit to Disney- they are basically just an expense. That sticking point isn't going anywhere.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm sure negotiations will continue. But I think In order for it to make financial sense to Disney, Sony is continually going to be asked to concede a lot more than they are comfortable doing. So I'm not optimistic.

The disparity between how the two companies stand to financially benefit from the Movie rights is massive. Spider-Man movies are everything to Sony Pictures and provide negligible benefit to Disney- they are basically just an expense. That sticking point isn't going anywhere.
I feel like they'll reach some kind of an agreement eventually, probably by year's end. And I wouldn't be surprised if it was a 20% co-financing agreement on Disney's part.

Far From Home made around $1.1 billion, if I'm not mistaken. Obviously Disney's gonna want a decent amount of compensation for diverting their own resources. At least with 20%, Sony would at least see comparable revenue as something like Venom (assuming that the first movie wasn't a fluke in terms of financial success). Though I can also see Disney asking for something else on top of that in compensation, such as access to more of the Spider-Man characters in other MCU films & Disney+ shows (Ex: Kraven in Black Panther, Norman Osborn in Avengers, etc.) as long as Feige & Co. keep pumping out Spider-Man films every 2-3 years. That may not seem like much on paper from the standpoint of the executives, but I could see the idea of having essentially the entire Marvel playground at their disposal as an enticing offer for future directors & writers that Feige may want to bring into the MCU fold in the long-term.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

It hurts as a fan, but no ones is really looking at the opportunity costs both companies endure when they make such a deal. I think we're EXTREMELY lucky we got what we got out of the first deal. It's unheard of - so I'm not going to get my hopes up that they'll work something out.

My best case , fantasy scenario- Sony and Disney come to an agreement that allows Tom Holland's Parker to stay in MCU. They'd probably have to squeeze him into Phase 4 appearances to make it worthwhile for Sony - who wouldn't want to wait forever to use him in a movie.

Meanwhile Sony would agree to use Miles Morales as the anchor for their Sony Universe of Marvel Characters.

Then at some point in Phase 5, assuming Sony's Universe isn't utter shit, we get a crossover event where marvel and Sony's universes Collide.
I'm pretty sure a 2021 release for Spider-Man 3 is a definite thing so he would have been planned to be in Phase 4.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they'll reach some kind of an agreement eventually, probably by year's end. And I wouldn't be surprised if it was a 20% co-financing agreement on Disney's part.

Far From Home made around $1.1 billion, if I'm not mistaken. Obviously Disney's gonna want a decent amount of compensation for diverting their own resources. At least with 20%, Sony would at least see comparable revenue as something like Venom (assuming that the first movie wasn't a fluke in terms of financial success). Though I can also see Disney asking for something else on top of that in compensation, such as access to more of the Spider-Man characters in other MCU films & Disney+ shows (Ex: Kraven in Black Panther, Norman Osborn in Avengers, etc.) as long as Feige & Co. keep pumping out Spider-Man films every 2-3 years. That may not seem like much on paper from the standpoint of the executives, but I could see the idea of having essentially the entire Marvel playground at their disposal as an enticing offer for future directors & writers that Feige may want to bring into the MCU fold in the long-term.

I'm sure there's some formula that would appease both parties. I'm just not sure how much energy they'll put into finding it.

I bet after Venom and FFH they are seriously they have the experience and assets to make Billion dollar movies without having to give Disney a quarter of their profits.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My guess is that Brie Larson will make a guest appearance in the first episode and Kamala will somehow absorb some of Carol's cosmic energy, which leads her to name herself Ms. Marvel after Captain Marvel.

It'd be nice if they played up the mentor-student aspect, which I think the comics haven't really done that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.