• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's safe to assume that Shang-Chi's actor will be at least of Chinese descent if they're being this specific about the casting call.
I would argue it was safe to assume that, ever since Kevin Feige told a Chinese audience in China, that they have a Chinese hero coming. It would be a crime to get them all worked up for that, and then cast an actor who is not of Chinese descent.

I'm excited for this casting in particular.

I do hope they'll make use of some cool South East Asian locations since their base of operation is Australia. And make this movie look and feel unique to everything else in the MCU.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw that Brie Larson is going to do Ace Con in Illinois, did not think she would be into the 'Con' scene, glad to see that she is all
In.
Can't wait to hear reports of some sweaty neckbeards queuing just to ask her this:

RegalPortlyHamadryad-max-1mb.gif

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
So who can we rule out for Shang chi if that individual needs to have Chinese ancestry.

I've been somewhat keeping up with this and a few actors who expressed interest were Mike Moh and Alex Landi. And they would both be out because Moh is full Korean and Landi is half Korean.

I wonder if this would also rule out a few other actors like Ross Butler and Ludi Lin who were rumored to be up for the role a few weeks ago. They specifically mentioned 20's and Ludi is 31 right now and would be 33 by the time Shang Chi comes out. Not sure how much that hurts him. And Ross Butler is half Chinese and that might make him a controversial pick for reasons I'm not going to get into unless any of you guys want to discuss it.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
So I wanted to discuss something with fellow MCU fans and I wasn't sure if I should make a new thread or just post it here. I'll do sort of a test drive here and if there's interest in discussing this I'll clone the post into a new thread. With the recent rumors going around about future MCU projects I'd like to talk about my apprehension towards the concept of heroes passing on the mantle to other individuals. If rumors are to be believed, in the next few years we'll have:

a new Hawkeye, a new Black Widow, a new Iron Man. Also a new Captain America but that's different and I'll explain why.

So before I explain why I am apprehensive towards that direction I'd like to point out that I stopped reading comics a long time ago and I am not familiar with the new characters that may be introduced in the future. It's possible and given Kevin Feige's spotless record really rather probable that these new characters will be introduced in a way that makes them really compelling, so this is more of an academic-type discussion on the concept of hero 'clones'.

Having said that, I am apprehensive because I don't see the reason for copying another character instead of introducing a new one. I watched Into the Spider-verse recently and I found the fact that there were multiple Spider-men... distracting. Yes, I know it was the core concept of the movie, I'm just using that example to avoid posting potential spoilers for future MCU stuff. The backstory of each character was compelling enough on its own so I found no point in them being Spider-men. Again, don't take this literally, translate it through the filter of the rumored MCU stuff.

The exception is Falcon as the successor to Captain America. I am actually super excited for this development, for two reasons. One, Falcon is an established hero with his own identity and two, the title of Captain America was basically a symbol right from the start.

So, thoughts?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
So I wanted to discuss something with fellow MCU fans and I wasn't sure if I should make a new thread or just post it here. I'll do sort of a test drive here and if there's interest in discussing this I'll clone the post into a new thread. With the recent rumors going around about future MCU projects I'd like to talk about my apprehension towards the concept of heroes passing on the mantle to other individuals. If rumors are to be believed, in the next few years we'll have:

a new Hawkeye, a new Black Widow, a new Iron Man. Also a new Captain America but that's different and I'll explain why.

So before I explain why I am apprehensive towards that direction I'd like to point out that I stopped reading comics a long time ago and I am not familiar with the new characters that may be introduced in the future. It's possible and given Kevin Feige's spotless record really rather probable that these new characters will be introduced in a way that makes them really compelling, so this is more of an academic-type discussion on the concept of hero 'clones'.

Having said that, I am apprehensive because I don't see the reason for copying another character instead of introducing a new one. I watched Into the Spider-verse recently and I found the fact that there were multiple Spider-men... distracting. Yes, I know it was the core concept of the movie, I'm just using that example to avoid posting potential spoilers for future MCU stuff. The backstory of each character was compelling enough on its own so I found no point in them being Spider-men. Again, don't take this literally, translate it through the filter of the rumored MCU stuff.

The exception is Falcon as the successor to Captain America. I am actually super excited for this development, for two reasons. One, Falcon is an established hero with his own identity and two, the title of Captain America was basically a symbol right from the start.

So, thoughts?

They ARE new characters though - just reusing an previous superhero's title and talent.

They have different backgrounds personalities, motivations, strengths and weaknesses, etc - and it's these traits that make a character worthwhile to the franchise , not their moniker.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
They ARE new characters though - just reusing an previous superhero's title and talent.

They have different backgrounds personalities, motivations, strengths and weaknesses, etc - and it's these traits that make a character worthwhile to the franchise , not their moniker.

Of course, I understand that, but why reuse an existing hero's template in the first place? Does it serve some storytelling purpose that I'm not aware of?

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

So, thoughts?
I'm doing a 4k hdr marathon and about to watch Ready Player One for the first time, but here are my brief thoughts:

I don't think there is nothing to worry about. Like you, I'm excited for Sam Wilson: Captain America, and as far as he MCU delving into legacy in their storylines: Young Avengers is awesome, and having two Hawkeyes is kinda bad ass, see Fractioj and Aja Hawkeye saga for that. Yelena as Black Widow isn't necessarily a hero, in the comics, Yelena is a flat out bad ass villain, and with things like Dark Avengers brewing in the horizon, there is definitely room for villains turned heroes or anti-heroes in the MCU.

And I think you are greatly mistaken about Iron Man getting a "replacement". Even if we get Iron Heart (RiRi Williams) and Iron Lady (Morgan Stark) in Young Avengers, none of them are Iron Man, none of them are Tony Stark. I don't think we will ever see Iron Man again in the MCU as a living character, or at least for the next 10 years minimum.

Like Slayven, I could lecture you and the board on how Miles Morales in the comics under Brian Michael Bendis writing was a cypher of a character with no personality of his own for hours, but Spider-Man: Into Spider-Verse proved what I've been saying since the character was created: in order for the character to have development and grow, Bendis would have to relinquish of writing him. Miles in Into the Spider-Verse is now one of my favorite takes on Spider-Man and with Far From Home, Into the Spider-Verse is one of my favorite takes of Spidey of all time, and there Miles Morales is Spider-Man and he soars as a character worthy of the mask.

Like you said it yourself, it's Kevin fucking Feige. We are going to be fine.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Of course, I understand that, but why reuse an existing hero's template in the first place? Does it serve some storytelling purpose that I'm not aware of?

IMO, It serves the same purpose as introducing any new superhero - its a plot device for telling new stories. But it has the added benefit of allowing the use of an already established franchise as a spring board.

If they were simply reskinning Tony Stark Clint Barton and Natasha Romanova, we'd have a problem, but they aren't. They'd be introducing very different characters, who have a similar skillset. The question "how would this other person handle the blessing/curse of this ability and/or responsibility" often leads to interesting scenarios.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm doing a 4k hdr marathon and about to watch Ready Player One for the first time, but here are my brief thoughts:

I don't think there is nothing to worry about. Like you, I'm excited for Sam Wilson: Captain America, and as far as he MCU delving into legacy in their storylines: Young Avengers is awesome, and having two Hawkeyes is kinda bad ass, see Fraction and Aja Hawkeye saga for that. Yelena as Black Widow isn't necessarily a hero, in the comics, Yelena is a flat out bad ass villain, and with things like Dark Avengers brewing in the horizon, there is definitely room for villains turned heroes or anti-heroes in the MCU.

And I think you are greatly mistaken about Iron Man getting a "replacement". Even if we get Iron Heart (RiRi Williams) and Iron Lady (Morgan Stark) in Young Avengers, none of them are Iron Man, none of them are Tony Stark. I don't think we will ever see Iron Man again in the MCU as a living character, or at least for the next 10 years minimum.

Like Slayven, I could lecture you and the board on how Miles Morales in the comics under Brian Michael Bendis writing was a cypher of a character with no personality of his own for hours, but Spider-Man: Into Spider-Verse proved what I've been saying since the character was created: in order for the character to have development and grow, Bendis would have to relinquish of writing him. Miles in Into the Spider-Verse is now one of my favorite takes on Spider-Man and with Far From Home, Into the Spider-Verse is one of my favorite takes of Spidey of all time, and there Miles Morales is Spider-Man and he soars as a character worthy of the mask.

Like you said it yourself, it's Kevin fucking Feige. We are going to be fine.
Morgan's too young right now, plus I'm not sure if Pepper is gonna come back beyond a cameo or two. So unless they intend on doing time-travel shenanigans to get Morgan old enough to fight, they're probably gonna go the Ironheart route if they want another hero in Iron Man-esque armor. And since I don't expect us to get Miles Morales (Peter is still a teenager, so Miles is probably gonna be on the young side as of 2023 unless he didn't get snapped) or Sam Alexander (going by what McFly & Feely said, the Nova used in that scrapped Infinity War opening was Richard Rider, so I'd imagine that Richard is the Nova that the MCU is eventually gonna go with first) anytime soon, Peter/Kamala/Shuri/Riri/Kate could be our path to having the Champions in the MCU. Hell, maybe we could get Viv Vision if they want to go crazy with the WandaVision show.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Morgan's too young right now, plus I'm not sure if Pepper is gonna come back beyond a cameo or two. So unless they intend on doing time-travel shenanigans to get Morgan old enough to fight, they're probably gonna go the Ironheart route if they want another hero in Iron Man-esque armor. And since I don't expect us to get Miles Morales (Peter is still a teenager, so Miles is probably gonna be on the young side as of 2023 unless he didn't get snapped) or Sam Alexander (going by what McFly & Feely said, the Nova used in that scrapped Infinity War opening was Richard Rider, so I'd imagine that Richard is the Nova that the MCU is eventually gonna go with first) anytime soon, Peter/Kamala/Shuri/Riri/Kate could be our path to having the Champions in the MCU. Hell, maybe we could get Viv Vision if they want to go crazy with the WandaVision show.

I'm not talking about the child actress who played Morgan; I'm talking about 13 Reasons Why's and Avengers: Endgame's Kath Langford. A big part of Young Avengers is well, this:

images

With the Young Avengers brewing in the horizon, I think it's obvious that they are setting up Kath to play Iron Lady, instead of Iron Lad, coming from the future and it's be absolutely genius if that's the set up for Kang as well.

Funny you mention Sam, but I always thought that maybe Harley is in fact Sam and the future Nova, but that's just a persona theory. I don't see RiRi as part of the Young Avengers, at least not at first. I think she might get her own film or her own series before, setting up a different team of young heroes: Champions.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm not talking about the child actress who played Morgan; I'm talking about 13 Reasons Why's and Avengers: Endgame's Kath Langford. A big part of Young Avengers is well, this:

images

With the Young Avengers brewing in the horizon, I think it's obvious that they are setting up Kath to play Iron Lady, instead of Iron Lad, coming from the future and it's be absolutely genius if that's the set up for Kang as well.

Funny you mention Sam, but I always thought that maybe Harley is in fact Sam and the future Nova, but that's just a persona theory. I don't see RiRi as part of the Young Avengers, at least not at first. I think she might get her own film or her own series before, setting up a different team of young heroes: Champions.
That's what I meant by time-travel shenanigans, though you are on to something in terms of setting up Kang.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Spider-Man: Far From Home is around $790m worldwide through this Saturday.

$260m Dom
$530m Overseas

Source: Jatinder
An update on this:

Jatinder is projecting $836m WW through this Sunday. Some damn sexy box office legs for the best Spider-Man film of all time. We are getting to the $1B milestone before the end of the month or at the most first weekend of August.

Edit:

BoxOffice.com is projecting even higher than Jatinder for the weekend's worldwide:

tumblr_p6m824pE2S1u86ztio1_400.gif

Last edited:

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So Endgame might actually limp past Avatar? If so, hopefully it happens before the Marvel Studios panel.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

nXlFlOJjJhe8pCXCcLb3_VYz0wl_uSov_VcGCq0kGVXL8u1DEowVs-vpAqIxnnt7O-4X2wEnZA=w500-h250-nc

Imagine if it happens before Saturday?

That'd be some victory lap in Hall H with the cast on stage and Feige announcing they're #1.

giphy.gif

It would be absolutely INSANE and I wouldn't discard it, but I think it happens around the TLK weekend, just like BOT's box office insider is projectioning:

So would y'all say it's (almost) all but wrapped up for sure? ZattMurdock

It's definitely DONE. And it was done since the re-release / expansion was announced. I told y'all.

8 million to go then? Party time!

giphy.gif

It will be such a magnificent achievement and it will generate mountains of salt. I can't wait!

IT'S ACTUALLY ONLY $7,164,948 (BEFORE THE ACTUALS)

THE DIFFERENCE WILL BE EVEN SMALLER TOMORROW
tucci.png

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

We need to start planning for the celebration thread! ZattMurdock It has to be you that posts it, let's all brainstorm on what it would contain. I'm thinking a detailed list of alol MCU films with their box office totals, thoughts?

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

We need to start planning for the celebration thread! ZattMurdock It has to be you that posts it, let's all brainstorm on what it would contain. I'm thinking a detailed list of alol MCU films with their box office totals, thoughts?

I can't really make threads any longer, but even if I did, that shouldn't be me. That should be you, homie. I will help you with the content, but you are the one that should make it. I need to come up with something for my worldwide record tweet too, haha.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
If they were simply reskinning Tony Stark Clint Barton and Natasha Romanova, but they aren't. They'd be introducing very different characters, who have a similar skillset. The question "how would this other person handle the blessing/curse of this ability and/or responsibility" often leads to interesting scenarios.
I think this is the most compelling part of new characters taking on an existing mantle. Its definitely what I'm most interested to see with Falcon taking on the Cap mantle.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think this is the most compelling part of new characters taking on an existing mantle. Its definitely what I'm most interested to see with Falcon taking on the Cap mantle.
Actually, I could see Ironheart being the way they pay off the tease for the real Mandarin if they aren't gonna go that route for Shang-Chi.

okdakor

Oct 26, 2017
France
I'm not afraid of the future of the MCU, when I was a kid I found the Avengers comics boring compared to the other Marvel teams... And Feige made them a multi-billions franchise. With their catalogue, if they continue to deliver... I'm really curious to see what are Feige next moves

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not afraid of the future of the MCU, when I was a kid I found the Avengers comics boring compared to the other Marvel teams... And Feige made them a multi-billions franchise. With their catalogue, if they continue to deliver... I'm really curious to see what are Feige next moves

Yeah, I'm actually really excited for the future. A big chapter has ended but there are so many characters to introduce and so many stories to tell. Just think that Feige has the next three or so years already planned out and the Fantastic Four and X-Men are right around the corner. The MCU can easily go on for thirty years without any need for a reboot.

Nov 1, 2017
Does marvel comics has anything equivalent to the Lazarus Pit? Maybe it's just me, but i really hope they bring back aaron taylor's quicksilver. It's would be nice to witness a sibling drama/rivalry between him, scarlet witch and polaris!

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Does marvel comics has anything equivalent to the Lazarus Pit? Maybe it's just me, but i really hope they bring back aaron taylor's quicksilver. It's would be nice to witness a sibling drama/rivalry between him, scarlet witch and polaris!
The mechanics of time travel in the MCU is basically multiverse theory, so there's that.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
There's also a canon way to

de-age Cap if they want him to return in the future. Pass time through him like in Hulk's time machine test.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
The Ace Comic Con shows are some straight up bulllllllllshit. 500 bucks for a photo op and autograph with 4 celebs. GTFO.

Or 550 bucks for just Brie Larson

OCTOBER 11-12-13, 2019

Price: $550

Brie Larson VIP ADMISSIONS INCLUDE:

● 3-DAY WEEKEND Admission to ACE Comic Con Midwest
● Exclusive Brie Larson VIP Badge
● Exclusive ACE Comic Con Lanyard
● 30 minutes of early VIP access to the show on Saturday & Sunday!
● Exclusive ACE Comic Con Collector's Pin
● Funko POP! Figure (Random)
● Exclusive ACE Comic Con Travel Blanket
● Exclusive ACE Comic Con Lenticular Luggage Tag
● Plus More!
● VIP Only Autographs & Photo Ops Times
● Kids (10 & Under) are FREE when accompanied by a paid VIP Admission (Limit 2 Per Paid VIP Admissions)
● All 3-Day Admissions include a Chicago Tax of 6%
● All VIP Wristbands, Badges, Lanyards, Q&A Panel, Autograph and Photo Op Tickets must be picked up at the VIP Window
● All Admissions will be e-mailed as a QR Code after purchase. Bring your printed, mobile or e-mailed QR Codes to the event to gain admittance.

PHOTO OPS
● (1) Photo Op with Brie Larson (Limited to up to 2 Adults & 2 Kids per Photo Op. If you have additional Adults or Kids then an additional Photo Op must be purchased)
◦ Includes 8"x10" Print
◦ Includes Digital Download
● *Note: Photo Op Ticket is provided at VIP registration. Photo Op tickets are collected at the Photo Op booth for redemption

AUTOGRAPHS
● (1) Autograph of Brie Larson with JSA Authentication. You may have your own item signed or an 8x10 Photo will be provided for you.
● All Brie Larson VIPs may purchase up to two (2) additional Autographs at $200 each (WHILE SUPPLIES LAST, to be redeemed at the same time as your VIP Autographs). Once you have completed your purchase, log back in to GrowTix and you will see the option to purchase VIP Admission Add-On Autographs on the left hand navigation
● *Note: Autograph will be picked up at the VIP Redemption Area

Q&A PANEL (Day TBA)
● (2) Guaranteed Seats for Brie Larson Q&A Panel at TBA on Main Stage. (You get two Guaranteed Seats regardless of how many kids you have with you. Infants over the age of two must have their own seat)
● There are no individual Q&A Panels

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The Ace Comic Con shows are some straight up bulllllllllshit. 500 bucks for a photo op and autograph with 4 celebs. GTFO.

Or 550 bucks for just Brie Larson

OCTOBER 11-12-13, 2019

Price: $550

Brie Larson VIP ADMISSIONS INCLUDE:

● 3-DAY WEEKEND Admission to ACE Comic Con Midwest
● Exclusive Brie Larson VIP Badge
● Exclusive ACE Comic Con Lanyard
● 30 minutes of early VIP access to the show on Saturday & Sunday!
● Exclusive ACE Comic Con Collector's Pin
● Funko POP! Figure (Random)
● Exclusive ACE Comic Con Travel Blanket
● Exclusive ACE Comic Con Lenticular Luggage Tag
● Plus More!
● VIP Only Autographs & Photo Ops Times
● Kids (10 & Under) are FREE when accompanied by a paid VIP Admission (Limit 2 Per Paid VIP Admissions)
● All 3-Day Admissions include a Chicago Tax of 6%
● All VIP Wristbands, Badges, Lanyards, Q&A Panel, Autograph and Photo Op Tickets must be picked up at the VIP Window
● All Admissions will be e-mailed as a QR Code after purchase. Bring your printed, mobile or e-mailed QR Codes to the event to gain admittance.

PHOTO OPS
● (1) Photo Op with Brie Larson (Limited to up to 2 Adults & 2 Kids per Photo Op. If you have additional Adults or Kids then an additional Photo Op must be purchased)
◦ Includes 8"x10" Print
◦ Includes Digital Download
● *Note: Photo Op Ticket is provided at VIP registration. Photo Op tickets are collected at the Photo Op booth for redemption

AUTOGRAPHS
● (1) Autograph of Brie Larson with JSA Authentication. You may have your own item signed or an 8x10 Photo will be provided for you.
● All Brie Larson VIPs may purchase up to two (2) additional Autographs at $200 each (WHILE SUPPLIES LAST, to be redeemed at the same time as your VIP Autographs). Once you have completed your purchase, log back in to GrowTix and you will see the option to purchase VIP Admission Add-On Autographs on the left hand navigation
● *Note: Autograph will be picked up at the VIP Redemption Area

Q&A PANEL (Day TBA)
● (2) Guaranteed Seats for Brie Larson Q&A Panel at TBA on Main Stage. (You get two Guaranteed Seats regardless of how many kids you have with you. Infants over the age of two must have their own seat)
● There are no individual Q&A Panels

Holy shit. I can't believe they charge that much....

Status
Not open for further replies.