• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
In my head Sony can easily make this Spider-Man work outside the MCU. They don't really need to reference anything that is strictly MCU. His identity is out there and they can build a movie around this whole concept without ever mentioning Mysterio. Just play it straight, he's open it with him being hunted by Scorpion, mix some JJJ in there, get away and introduce a new villain. Forget Tony Stark, forget Quentin Beck, forget the Skrulls. Hell, use Kraven (or Venom) as the big villain and you got a soup brewing, sprinkle the supporting characters in there. No, I'm not writing a script here, but I don't see why it would be so hard to ignore all things MCU in the third standalone Spidey. Sure Pete's dealing with the aftermath of Tony, and becoming his own responsible hero, but they can still play with that without ever referencing what came before. Look to the future.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
In my head Sony can easily make this Spider-Man work outside the MCU. They don't really need to reference anything that is strictly MCU. His identity is out there and they can build a movie around this whole concept without ever mentioning Mysterio. Just play it straight, he's open it with him being hunted by Scorpion, mix some JJJ in there, get away and introduce a new villain. Forget Tony Stark, forget Quentin Beck, forget the Skrulls. Hell, use Kraven (or Venom) as the big villain and you got a soup brewing, sprinkle the supporting characters in there. No, I'm not writing a script here, but I don't see why it would be so hard to ignore all things MCU in the third standalone Spidey. Sure Pete's dealing with the aftermath of Tony, and becoming his own responsible hero, but they can still play with that without ever referencing what came before. Look to the future.

I'm sure audiences will love that.

I mean ignoring previously stablished build up worked wonders for GOT right?

luca

Oct 25, 2017

I'm just saying, as much as he was ingrained in the MCU, it's not impossible to make it work. Some people make it sound like it's not an option. And who's to say the GA won't love it if it's the same cast and has the same vibe. People grew in love with Tom Holland Spider-Man first and foremost.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'm just saying, as much as he was ingrained in the MCU, it's not impossible to make it work. Some people make it sound like it's not an option. And who's to say the GA won't love it if it's the same cast and has the same vibe. People grew in love with Tom Holland Spider-Man first and foremost.
I don't think people have said it's totally not an option, it can work, it just doesn't mean it's the best option or that they should.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I mean, I don't necessarily disagree with most of this post, but I'm not quite confident that an Avi Arad quality film about a character that has less mindshare than Venom is going to break $125-150 million.

It's going to need to be decent. Because MIB was more relevant and had two MCU stars and was under that.

And this was before Spider-Man was pulled so it probably won't have Spider-Man references.
It's got a favorable release date in the summer. I'm assuming they'll make a reference to Venom in the trailer. The trailer will have the Marvel logo. All it needs is to be competent and it probably won't do too poorly.

It's from the writers who made Dracula Untold. That film was panned critically and released in the fall and made $216mm against a $70mm budget. I'd say $400mm globally wouldn't be shocking if it's a better movie. But again, who knows how the quality will be.

I was wondering why they decided on two films instead of 3 in the original deal when it's clearly meant to be a trilogy. I don't want to assume Disney structured it that way to incentivize Sony to come back to the table. Ballsy move if so I feel.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Man YOU look to the future, the present was fine as it was
tenor.gif

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017

Even if they made it work, I still wouldn't give much of a shit if Spidey is relegated to a world that he shares with Jared Leto. I know a ton of people liked Venom, but I personally hated it.

Maybe something happens, but it's been awfully quiet.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Even if they made it work, I still wouldn't give much of a shit if Spidey is relegated to a world that he shares with Jared Leto. I know a ton of people liked Venom, but I personally hated it.

Maybe something happens, but it's been awfully quiet.

It's better quiet. Sony never shuts up when they got shit going.

Remember how they paraded Hardy before the film?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

This is my thing. Building a story around Parker being exposed doesn't really need a Shield tie in, and Tony's dead. The only MCU thread that can't be built upon is Happy's relationship with Aunt May.

The problem with GOT is that all of the characters the characters behaviors and decisions stopped following their development arcs - the writers were rushing to hit certain plot points and didn't make time to get to them in a way that made sense for the characters they'd been portraying.

There's nothing preventing them from continuing Peter's arc without MCU characters. In fact, they've got the perfect setup to have him dealing with social isolation. And of course, the villain would get a healthy amount of time to develop as well. As long as the arcs are organic and not forced like GOT, theyd be fine

Last edited:

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
It's got a favorable release date in the summer. I'm assuming they'll make a reference to Venom in the trailer. The trailer will have the Marvel logo. All it needs is to be competent and it probably won't do too poorly.

It's from the writers who made Dracula Untold. That film was panned critically and released in the fall and made $216mm against a $70mm budget. I'd say $400mm globally wouldn't be shocking if it's a better movie. But again, who knows how the quality will be.

I was wondering why they decided on two films instead of 3 in the original deal when it's clearly meant to be a trilogy. I don't want to assume Disney structured it that way to incentivize Sony to come back to the table. Ballsy move if so I feel.

That's just it though. If it's competent. And right now I'm not convinced that is the case.

The Marvel logo doesn't save everything. It certainly didn't save Dark Phoenix.

Release date being good doesn't necessarily help. If audiences are responsive to it, it will give a better shot a good legs.

But we're banking on the idea that it's competent and that audiences will care enough.

I'll give you the Venom reference. But I'm not so sure that's going to be enough. It's going to come down to if audiences are invested enough in Venom's world if this isn't looking good.

I just don't have a good feeling about Morbius. I don't think Leto is going to help matters either. Matt Smith may help, but I don't know.

I just know between the two Sony Spider-Man films, I knew Spider-Verse was going to be the better one to watch. I'm getting a gut feeling again that Morbius isn't going to be that

But hey. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
That's just it though. If it's competent. And right now I'm not convinced that is the case.

Release date being good doesn't necessarily help. If audiences are responsive to it, it will give a better shot a good legs.

But we're banking on the idea that it's competent and that audiences will care enough.

I'll give you the Venom reference. But I'm not so sure that's going to be enough. It's going to come down to if audiences are invested enough in Venom's world if this isn't looking good.

I just don't have a good feeling about Morbius. I don't think Leto is going to help matters either. Matt Smith may help, but I don't know.

I just know between the two Sony Spider-Man films, I knew Spider-Verse was going to be the better one to watch. I'm getting a gut feeling again that Morbius isn't going to be that

If the next Minions bombs I will exit attempting to guess box office results for films because I have bombed hard this year lol.

Black Widow and Eternals I keep going back and forth on. I feel Ant Man 2 for BW (fan service movie of a very attractive actress but she's had some bombs) and Guardians for Eternals (that cast) make sense but IDK.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
If the next Minions bombs I will exit attempting to guess box office results for films because I have bombed hard this year lol.

Black Widow and Eternals I keep going back and forth on. I feel Ant Man 2 for BW (fan service movie of a very attractive actress but she's had some bombs) and Guardians for Eternals (that cast) make sense but IDK.

Minions I keep going back and forth on. I honestly don't know. I mean, Despicable Me 3 did a billion at the box office, so I think interest is still there for that franchise. And honestly, looking at SLOP 2's legs, it could have done way worse considering the opening. I think Minions 2 can probably pull at least $200 Million.

I agree on your prediction for BW and Eternals if that makes you feel better. And I was pretty confident Ant-Man 2 was not going to be under $200 Million.

TwoDelay

Apr 6, 2018

I have a feeling this movie is going to be pretty freaky
edit: another thing interesting about infinity is that there is a difference between infinite infinity and finite infinity. For example counting every single number is infinite infinity because it has no start nor end and goes forever. Compare this to counting all the numbers between 1 and 2, sure it goes on for ever but It has a start and finish meaning it's finite infinity.

Last edited:

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017

Aw man Matt Smith's going to be in Morbius? I'd really like to see him in something... y'know... good. He's also the only New Doctor apart from Joide missing from the MCU.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I just can't bring myself to rewatching Endgame anymore with Iron Man, Captain America, and now Spider-Man all out

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Sigh.

Buoyed by four minutes of new footage — and recent headlines over the controversial Sony-Marvel Studios divorce — the rerelease of Spider-Man: Far From Home paid off at the Labor Day box office picnic.

The film earned an estimated $4.3 million for the three day weekend and $5.4 million for the four day holiday frame, not far the rerelease of Avengers: Endgame earlier this summer and up more than 200 percent from last weekend's gross of $1.7 million after expanding its theater count from 1,008 to 3,162 locations.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Wouldn't that technically mean this week if they were reporting on it over the weekend?

No this came out today.

They weren't going to do anything over D23 Expo week or last week due to the holiday this weekend. So all that WGTC bullshit of a seven-movie deal was just crap made up by a YouTube channel called Lords of the Long Box who just makes up bullshit or reads things on DanielRPK's Patreon and claims it as theirs.

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
I really just hope they come to a good conclusion on what to do for the deal soon. No reason for it to take months when most of the potential things that could solve the issue seem so simple IMO.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I really just hope they come to a good conclusion on what to do for the deal soon. No reason for it to take months when most of the potential things that could solve the issue seem so simple IMO.
Outside of Cinderella in February, Masters of the Universe in March and Hotel Transylvania 4 in December, Sony's 2021 slate is pretty open. So I'd assume if they're planning Spider-Man 3 and/or Kraven for 2021, they'd likely have to get a new deal in the coming months (especially if Kraven's script still calls for Spider-Man).

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
Outside of Cinderella in February, Masters of the Universe in March and Hotel Transylvania 4 in December, Sony's 2021 slate is pretty open. So I'd assume if they're planning Spider-Man 3 and/or Kraven for 2021, they'd likely have to get a new deal in the coming months (especially if Kraven's script still calls for Spider-Man).
Aww man I hope the MCU deal continues. And I hope it's real soon, because there's no need for it to take so long to get dealt with. It seems so simple!

Status
Not open for further replies.