• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
Have him keep the beer gut and then, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, do an 80s training montage with the cheesiest music ever showing him working it off.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Fat Thor worked for Endgame's storyline but it feels like by the end of that movie he had overcome his struggles, it'd be weird for him to remain in that shape.

Dec 31, 2017

Taika has finished a draft of the script for Love and Thunder. And we may be losing Fat Thor:
You would think it's almost a certainty that Taika is gonna get a Thor trilogy of his own, if he wishes. There's a ton of Thor lore still in the bank ("Godbomb", "The Ballad of BRB" and "Whom the Gods Would Destroy" all spring to mind, the latter may serve as a vehicle to introduce Hercules to the MCU)

If that's the case, nobody would have predicted out of all the Marvel characters, Thor would be the one to get 5 titular films.

Ugh, so that means no F4 until 2023?
Yeah, that would be annoying.

Last edited:

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
R-rated superhero movies can make plenty of money. There's nothing to suggest that Deadpool will perform better being PG14

There's lots to suggest that, actually. Higher potential audience is why PG-13 (and PG) movies make up most of the gross that Hollywood makes. Comic book fans are going to see your movie regardless, they don't care what it's rated, so you take the higher potential audience every single time.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
There's lots to suggest that, actually. Higher potential audience is why PG-13 (and PG) movies make up most of the gross that Hollywood makes. Comic book fans are going to see your movie regardless, they don't care what it's rated, so you take the higher potential audience every single time.

But there are always exceptions- this due to factors beyond just Who is allowed in the theatre. Logan outperformed every other solo wolverine film, for example. So no, you don't assume that PG-13 inherently maximizes potential. If the rating inhibits the ability to tell the story and develop the characters in a way that audiences will respond to, the standard assumptions won't apply.

Last edited:

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
But there are always exceptions- this due to factors beyond just Who is allowed in the theatre. Logan outperformed every other Stand-Alone wolverine film, for example. So no, you don't assume that PG-13 inherently maximizes potential. If the rating inhibits the ability to tell the story and develop the characters in a way that audiences will respond to, the standard assumptions won't apply.

Disney isn't in that business though. Logan did well........ but it didn't do MCU well. It wouldn't even crack the top 15 highest grossing MCU movies. Like I said, there is just no incentive at all for them to do an R-rated story in the mainline MCU, unless they're really going for an Oscar or something (but given the success of Black Panther, I don't even think that's the case).

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Ripped arms Thor with a beer belly and messy hair is the middle ground they should go for. It's what the Norse gods traditionally looked like anyway. Not like bodybuilders.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
And why exactly couldn't a God be fat? Odin has been depicted as obese countless times throughout history and it's never been a problem.

Thors storyline is a highlight of endgame.
I meant he's a god in the sense that I'm sure nobody would have a problem with believing his metabolism would allow him to shed the weight in a significantly faster time than a regular human.

I don't need more fat Thor jokes.
The thing about Thor is that he is the most human of the gods in Marvel. He can suffer PTSD and trauma and we the audience bear witness to that. It's a crucial part of his character.
Thor 3 is my favorite MCU film with Thor being my favorite hero. Let's just say that I'm not exactly a fan of what they did to his character progression from the end of Ragnarok through IW/EG.

Agree to disagree.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Disney isn't in that business though. Logan did well........ but it didn't do MCU well. It wouldn't even crack the top 15 highest grossing MCU movies. Like I said, there is just no incentive at all for them to do an R-rated story in the mainline MCU, unless they're really going for an Oscar or something (but given the success of Black Panther, I don't even think that's the case).

The incentive would be to do right by their characters - which has been the MO since day one.

You're talking just about gross, but Logan did $619 mil on a budget of $97. In terms of profitability, it hangs with the pack. Same with Deadpool. Yes quite a few marvel movies did better in terms of gross, but they were generally all more expense AND had the benefit of being tied to the MCU. an R-rated Wolverine movie would have also seen boosts under those same circumstances.

I don't need more Thor fat jokes either. But Thor realizing he's worthy, even if struggling with crippling depression was an awesome arc. And it would be awesome if a subsequent film didnt suggest that the self improvement journey is instant.
I meant he's a god in the sense that I'm sure nobody would have a problem with believing his metabolism would allow him to shed the weight in a significantly faster time than a regular human.

I don't need more fat Thor jokes.

Thor 3 is my favorite MCU film with Thor being my favorite hero. Let's just say that I'm not exactly a fan of what they did to his character progression from the end of Ragnarok through IW/EG.

Agree to disagree.

You can believe what you want about godly metabolism, but there's precedent for God's being depicted as fat, skinny, and everything in between.

Just as easily as we can believe his metabolism works much faster than that of a human, we can also assume that he proportionally consumes much more than a human. So if he doest't alter his behavior, he can struggle with weight just like anyone or anything else.

Last edited:

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Have him keep the beer gut and then, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, do an 80s training montage with the cheesiest music ever showing him working it off.
Add Starlord to this montage and make it so they are both competing against each other to see who can get more ripped and then you can even add a narrative reason for the montage music since it can be playing from Peter's Zune. Comedy gold if you ask me.

Last edited:

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
The incentive would be to do right by their characters - which has been the MO since day one.

Let's pump the brakes a little here. I know this is like a fan thread and all but the MCU's core objective isn't "we just gotta make those fans happy and do right by the characters.............. we aren't in it for the money folks".

You're talking just about gross, but Logan did $619 mil on a budget of $97. In terms of profitability, it hangs with the pack. Same with Deadpool. Yes quite a few marvel movies did better in terms of gross, but they were generally all more expense AND had the benefit of being tied to the MCU. an R-rated Wolverine movie would have also seen boosts under those same circumstances.

R-rated movies do offer more profit potential (which is why cheap comedies and horror movies will go R, because you can work on a small budget and make many times over what you paid) but Disney is not playing the short game. They're not going to sacrifice future fans (kids watching and growing up on the movies) and merchandising (a MASSIVE part of any future movie plans) just to do a small budget movie. The MCU is a brand, a gargantuan one, and it has a defined set of rules and tone. Disney isn't fantasy booking to make sure their movies are faithful to the characters, they are maximizing the largest financial windfall in the history of film. There are billions and billions of dollars at stake.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Let's pump the brakes a little here. I know this is like a fan thread and all but the MCU's core objective isn't "we just gotta make those fans happy and do right by the characters.............. we aren't in it for the money folks".

R-rated movies do offer more profit potential (which is why cheap comedies and horror movies will go R, because you can work on a small budget and make many times over what you paid) but Disney is not playing the short game. They're not going to sacrifice future fans (kids watching and growing up on the movies) and merchandising (a MASSIVE part of any future movie plans) just to do a small budget movie. The MCU is a brand, a gargantuan one, and it has a defined set of rules and tone. Disney isn't fantasy booking to make sure their movies are faithful to the characters, they are maximizing the largest financial windfall in the history of film. There are billions and billions of dollars at stake.

When did I say anything about "for the fans"? I'm saying the best way to make money is to deliver characters as paying audiences want to see them.

If they aren't doing that, then they won't be realizing the characters value, even if more people are allowed to see the films.

Also an R-rated film doesn't sacrifice fans. How does a one or two connected franchises keeps kids from watching everything else? Kids grow up, and will watch what they can when they can.

Wolverine being in an R-rated films and mature comics will hasn't stopped him from showing up in kids films, video games, cartoons, and on toy shelves. Why wouldn't the same be true for any other character?

Hell, my 4 year old loves Deadpool because of the marvel funko pop shorts he sees on YouTube. He gets a kick out of seeing him in the lego games, and on bumper stickers all over the place. He ain't gonna be seeing Deadpool solo films anytime soon, but that hardly means Disney has lost him as a future customer. The same would be true if his films were tied to MCU.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
That certainly makes the package better but still underwhelming and over-priced. Let it fall down to around $350 and I might bite.
I'm kind of on the same boat. I want it, but the price is insane. I was hoping for each of the Infinity Stones to be included in the case that Professor Hulk let Steve use at the end of Endgame.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I'm kind of on the same boat. I want it, but the price is insane. I was hoping for each of the Infinity Stones to be included in the case that Professor Hulk let Steve use at the end of Endgame.
See, now something like that and it would have been 100% worth the money and worthy of being showcased. As-is, you're paying $26 per movie in a badly designed box cover.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Deadpool in the comics has never really relied on foul language or gore. A PG 13 film is enough to make a Deadpool film faithful to the comics.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Yeah I don't really get what Marvel comic would HAVE to be Rated R. I mean certain arcs maybe, but almost everything could be cleaned up.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of 2020 movies have gotten a trailer already or at least a teaser. I'm vaguely familiar with how Marvel Studios/Disney does it, but is it safe to assume there'll be something for Black Widow late December if not next month?

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I just CANNOT believe the Scorsese discourse has gone on as long as it has
I guess it's just something about award season that makes all these celebs crawl out of the woodwork and talk that cash shit about Marvel movies
I've been ignoring all the talk but it would be nice if everyone could just move on

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Bring on the MDU! I loves me some despicable movies then. Especially Despicable Me. ;D
This stuff is all moo 🐮 to me anyway.
Well, back to speculating on Inhumans movie stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.