• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlyCoug88

Jan 10, 2018
Wow, so glad Tom was able to help make this happen. Just watched FFH again last night for the first time since theaters, and I had forgotten just how MCU connected it was. Not to mention a lot of bonus features have interviews where they reference being excited for what Spidey's future in the MCU could look like. It really would have been such a huge letdown to not be able to at least finish out the trilogy in the MCU.

I'm going into this 2-movie deal expecting it to be the end of the road for Spider-Man in the MCU for now in order to keep my expectations in check, though. I would be thrilled if a further deal is made, and I'd lose a lot of interest in non-MCU Spider-Man films if there isn't a further deal, but 7 films is certainly a good run that cements Spider-Man's place in the history of the MCU, which is absolutely awesome.

That said, Tom Holland IS Spider-Man right now and it will be interesting to see if his contract actually plays a part in the future of Spider-Man in the MCU. Either way, I'd assume he would need a new contract to appear in any of the SUMC films, so he surely has some leverage there no matter what's to come. Hope the man get paid well for all he has done.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I wonder when we'll get our first "good" (I'll quantify "good" by a Certified Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes) live-action video game movie
Sony's Jumanji and Dora are both certified fresh, and Uncharted will certainly be in the vein of those, but those actions from Rothman are definitely concerning
Warner Bros. Mortal Kombat is going to be phenomenal!!

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Disney just launched its "For Your Consideration" campaign page for Endgame.

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

BEST PICTURE

Kevin Feige, p.g.a.

BEST DIRECTOR

Anthony and Joe Russo

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Christopher Markus &
Stephen McFeely

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Trent Opaloch

BEST FILM EDITING

Jeffrey Ford, ACE
Matthew Schmidt

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN

Production Designer

Charles Wood

Set Decorator

Tonja Schurmann

BEST COSTUME DESIGN

Judianna Makovsky

BEST MAKEUP & HAIRSTYLING

John Blake
Janine Thompson
Brian Sipe

BEST SOUND MIXING

Tom Johnson
Juan Peralta
John Pritchett, CAS

BEST SOUND EDITING

Shannon Mills
Daniel Laurie

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

Dan Deleeuw
Matt Aitken
Russell Earl
Dan Sudick

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

Alan Silvestri

hmmm, no Best Actor for RDJ?

Last edited:

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Johansson and Hemsworth were really great. However, RDJ was no slouch either. The scenes with him and Morgan are so perfect. That being said, everyone was on their a-game in Endgame. Johansson and Hemsworth did their best MCU work though.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
The Spider-Man3 end credits is totally going be him getting "spider-versed" out of the MCU and into Sony's isn't it?

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Why wouldn't Sony want to continue using Spider-Man in both their universe and the MCU?

That door would still be open. He'd presumably be able to move back and forth. they'd use the spider-verse to explain why the events in sony's movies don't influence the MCU and vice-versa.

I'm just speculating based on Feige's comment
Spider-Man is a powerful icon and hero whose story crosses all ages and audiences around the globe. He also happens to be the only hero with the superpower to cross cinematic universes, so as Sony continues to develop their own Spidey-verse you never know what surprises the future might hold.

The universes will most definitely remain separate and distinct, but Spider-Man might be crossing over periodically if the stars align.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
That door would still be open. He'd presumably be able to move back and forth. they'd use the spider-verse to explain why the events in sony's movies don't influence the MCU and vice-versa.

I'm just speculating based on Feige's comment

The universes will most definitely remain separate and distinct, but Spider-Man might be crossing over periodically if the stars align.
As of now, there's no room on Tom's contract for Sony-only movie appearances. That would have to be renegotiated, especially since there's still one other MCU film before all parties involved would return to the negotiation table (the current deal will use up the existing contract with Tom). And given Tom's actions that led to this current deal, he'll likely hinge the renewal of his contract on the continuation of the sharing arrangement.

But assuming that everything is worked out, I'd imagine that it'll be as you described.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
So, outside the costume, editing, and other technical awards - anyone feel confident enough to state if Endgame will get noms for picture, direction, and screenplay?
I think it's getting screenplay (and legit deserves a serious shot at the win too). Since Oscars expanded the Best Picture category years ago to recognize more popular films, I think it could get the BP nom - no way it's winning though. The Russos, alas, will be left out in the cold.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Ahhh okay, you mean like that.

I still think it'll just mean that Spider-Man will also guest in the Sony Spidey-verse, which simply exists in the same world as Spider-Man (as in, it's not a different universe in the movies). It will not get referenced in the MCU, but it will be connected via Spider-Man himself, who lives in both the MCU and the Sony universe. I don't think they need to frame the Sony-verse as a different dimension/universe/whatever. However, as I say all this.. however they choose to do it, if Spider-Man also encounters Venom, Morbius, and whoever, it'll be odd if he won't reference that in his solo movies. And if he will reference that.. then the MCU and the Sony-verse will be pretty closely related..

All in all, it'll be a pretty odd situation if Sony will get Tom Holland in one of their Spidey-verse movies, while also continuing the deal with Disney/Marvel Studios.

So, outside the costume, editing, and other technical awards - anyone feel confident enough to state if Endgame will get noms for picture, direction, and screenplay?
I think it's getting screenplay (and legit deserves a serious shot at the win too). Since Oscars expanded the Best Picture category years ago to recognize more popular films, I think it could get the BP nom - no way it's winning though. The Russos, alas, will be left out in the cold.
Perhaps an adapted screenplay nomination? I don't know. The rest? Nah.

I hope it'll get some recognition for its (and IW's) visual effects, for the work on Thanos, Smart Hulk, combined with simply the gigantic amount of VFX that's in there.

Last edited:

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
At this point, isn't it just easier for it to be a Marvel movie? Sony is the only other studio that produces films with Marvel characters at this point now that Fox has been absorbed.

Explaining jumping between "cinematic universe" is just going to be a headache. Loan someone to Sony who's entire job is quality control.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Explaining jumping between "cinematic universe" is just going to be a headache. Loan someone to Sony who's entire job is quality control.
True, so that's why I don't think they'll explain it. They won't have to. Sony-only characters just won't appear in MCU movies. And I don't think just loaning someone to Sony whose job is quality control will work. Why would Sony want that? Who pays for that? Would they be obligated to listen to that person (so they relinquish creative control)? Who would that person be? Would Feige be involved? My guess is that somewhere in the talks they did try to get Feige involved in the Sony-verse, but that didn't work out.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
True, so that's why I don't think they'll explain it. They won't have to. Sony-only characters just won't appear in MCU movies. And I don't think just loaning someone to Sony whose job is quality control will work. Why would Sony want that? Who pays for that? Would they be obligated to listen to that person (so they relinquish creative control)? Who would that person be? Would Feige be involved? My guess is that somewhere in the talks they did try to get Feige involved in the Sony-verse, but that didn't work out.
I think that's how it should work out. Sometimes Spider-Man will interact with Avengers characters, other times he'll do his own thing with his ordinary villians. Doesn't require too much explanation.

Sony wants 3 movies every two years. By the agreement that was made public, Feige (and/or some other dude, can't remember his name) have to receive drafts, first cuts, final cuts, etc. of all Sony's movies. Feige even weighed in on ASM2.

Given there's no way Feige can balance the MCU, his Star Wars entry and Sony's Universe, Marvel lending Sony someone focused on ensuring their films aren't stupid and somewhat won't wreck MCU cannon makes too much sense. One report stated Disney wanted a cut on Sony's films as well. I feel like Sony paying his salary would be far more agreeable and not cut into their bottom line.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
As of now, there's no room on Tom's contract for Sony-only movie appearances. That would have to be renegotiated, especially since there's still one other MCU film before all parties involved would return to the negotiation table (the current deal will use up the existing contract with Tom). And given Tom's actions that led to this current deal, he'll likely hinge the renewal of his contract on the continuation of the sharing arrangement.

But assuming that everything is worked out, I'd imagine that it'll be as you described.

Yeah I think this deal is setup so that if the vent come to an agreement as terms end, they'll be able to pull neatly pull spidey out of the MCU with a possibly of bringing him back later.

Ahhh okay, you mean like that.

I still think it'll just mean that Spider-Man will also guest in the Sony Spidey-verse, which simply exists in the same world as Spider-Man (as in, it's not a different universe in the movies). It will not get referenced in the MCU, but it will be connected via Spider-Man himself, who lives in both the MCU and the Sony universe. I don't think they need to frame the Sony-verse as a different dimension/universe/whatever. However, as I say all this.. however they choose to do it, if Spider-Man also encounters Venom, Morbius, and whoever, it'll be odd if he won't reference that in his solo movies. And if he will reference that.. then the MCU and the Sony-verse will be pretty closely related..

All in all, it'll be a pretty odd situation if Sony will get Tom Holland in one of their Spidey-verse movies, while also continuing the deal with Disney/Marvel Studios.

Perhaps an adapted screenplay nomination? I don't know. The rest? Nah.

I hope it'll get some recognition for its (and IW's) visual effects, for the work on Thanos, Smart Hulk, combined with simply the gigantic amount of VFX that's in there.

I can't imagine Disney would be keen to allow Sony to independently write stories that occupy the same universe. They wouldn't want to be boxed in/out by Sony's narrative/casting/location choices. I think the same would be true in the reverse direction. Even if they planned not to reference each other's movies, there'd be no way to ensure the don't step on each other's toes w/o close coordination.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
At this point, isn't it just easier for it to be a Marvel movie? Sony is the only other studio that produces films with Marvel characters at this point now that Fox has been absorbed.

I dont see how it's a headache at all. Both Sony and Marvel are headed towards multiverse territory with their franchises. The biggest movie ever just had parallel timelines as a plot device. positioning Sony's Universe as a separate but coexisting universe is no more complex that what we've just gotten from these studios earlier this year.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yeah I think this deal is setup so that if the vent come to an agreement as terms end, they'll be able to pull neatly pull spidey out of the MCU with a possibly of bringing him back later.
But if Sony ends up walking away after this, I wouldn't be surprised if Tom doesn't renew his contract. Like I said, the news that came out today basically confirmed my suspicions that he'll probably use his contract renewal as a bargaining chip to ensure that Spider-Man stays in the MCU in the long-term.

Oct 31, 2017
I think that's how it should work out. Sometimes Spider-Man will interact with Avengers characters, other times he'll do his own thing with his ordinary villians. Doesn't require too much explanation.

Sony wants 3 movies every two years. By the agreement that was made public, Feige (and/or some other dude, can't remember his name) have to receive drafts, first cuts, final cuts, etc. of all Sony's movies. Feige even weighed in on ASM2.

Given there's no way Feige can balance the MCU, his Star Wars entry and Sony's Universe, Marvel lending Sony someone focused on ensuring their films aren't stupid and somewhat won't wreck MCU cannon makes too much sense. One report stated Disney wanted a cut on Sony's films as well. I feel like Sony paying his salary would be far more agreeable and not cut into their bottom line.

Then Sony might as well hire such a person. Makes no sense for a Marvel employee to be 100% focused on Spiderverse to ensure Sony doesn't shit the bed and all Marvel gets in return is the guy's salary is paid. I mean think about it, would you make that deal if you were in charge of Marvel? Or would you want something else in return from Sony? If Sony doesn't want to give anything else, would you rather have that person 100% focused on some MCU stuff where you are getting all the proceeds or "loan" him/her out where their salary are paid but you get nothing, so your net is zero and you still have to pay that person's benefits? I know I sure as hell wouldn't sign off on that without getting something in return; and no, having my employee's salary paid for is something I would scoff at.

Also, as you know, per the contract Marvel execs can critic the draft and movie all they want, but Sony has ultimate creative control and - just like in Amazing 2 - they can ignore what Feige and friends are saying.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
But if Sony ends up walking away after this, I wouldn't be surprised if Tom doesn't renew his contract. Like I said, the news that came out today basically confirmed my suspicions that he'll probably use his contract renewal as a bargaining chip to ensure that Spider-Man stays in the MCU in the long-term.

Tom's gonna renew the contract either

I bet Sony and Marvel will put a nice bow on th Homecoming trilogy with hist next 2 appearances, so fans won't be salty if they split for good, but the door will be open for the possibility of a lengthy stay like the first deal or crossover events.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Tom's gonna renew the contract either

I bet Sony and Marvel will put a nice bow on th Homecoming trilogy with hist next 2 appearances, so fans won't be salty if they split for good, but the door will be open for the possibility of a lengthy stay like the first deal or crossover events.
I'm not so sure about that, especially considering that he moved Heaven & Earth to keep this sharing arrangement going.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Then Sony might as well hire such a person. Makes no sense for a Marvel employee to be 100% focused on Spiderverse to ensure Sony doesn't shit the bed and all Marvel gets in return is the guy's salary is paid. I mean think about it, would you make that deal if you were in charge of Marvel? Or would you want something else in return from Sony? If Sony doesn't want to give anything else, would you rather have that person 100% focused on some MCU stuff where you are getting all the proceeds or "loan" him/her out where their salary are paid but you get nothing, so your net is zero and you still have to pay that person's benefits? I know I sure as hell wouldn't sign off on that without getting something in return; and no, having my employee's salary paid for is something I would scoff at.

Also, as you know, per the contract Marvel execs can critic the draft and movie all they want, but Sony has ultimate creative control and - just like in Amazing 2 - they can ignore what Feige and friends are saying.
I'm trying to think of the best way for both parties to continue this partnership long-term in an amicable manner.

But of course, the smart thing to do would be for Sony to poach someone from Marvel Studios to be the Feige of their SUMC. I mean, the head of Sony Pictures Entertainment and Motion Picture Group came from Fox. The head of SPTV came from Hulu (and previously Fox). The head of Sony Pictures Animation was poached from DreamWorks. Rothman immediately poached Gabler and Fox 2000 to form 3000 Pictures when Disney closed that studio down. So clearly Sony is not above poaching from the competition.

If Sony can get someone with an iota of intelligence to map out their universe from Marvel Studios with Feige's blessing, Marvel can have Spider-Man for crossover events and Sony only shares profits with them for the main solo Spider-Man films, I don't know how this isn't the best way forward for both corporations and fans.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not so sure about that, especially considering that he moved Heaven & Earth to keep this sharing arrangement going.

I think there's a big difference between lobbying for a compromise and turning down lucrative job opportunities.
Here's what he said before these new terms:
"Who knows what the future holds? But all I know is that I'm going to continue playing Spider-Man and having the time of my life. It's going to be so fun, however we choose to do it. The future for Spider-Man will be different, but it will be equally as awesome and amazing, and we'll find new ways to make it even cooler."

There's no indication that he would consider leaving Spider-Man behind. I think he, like most fans, felt the the way things ended was shitty, so he put his two cents in, hoping it would lead to something more agreeable.

Last edited:

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Can DIsney just completely buy back Spidey please?
Another Spidey movie with Sony involved is like a new fresh pair of shoes with a damn rock in it.
After the next 2 mcu appearances we'll just be back here again waiting for them to either pull the plug or - if we're lucky - extend it once again.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
If Sony can get someone with an iota of intelligence to map out their universe from Marvel Studios with Feige's blessing, Marvel can have Spider-Man for crossover events and Sony only shares profits with them for the main solo Spider-Man films, I don't know how this isn't the best way forward for both corporations and fans.
That's one of the most sound things I've heard about the situation. The Spider-verse is big enough for its own thing and not be involved with MCU isn't it?

Another Spidey movie with Sony involved is like a new fresh pair of shoes with a damn rock in it.
After the next 2 mcu appearances we'll just be back here again waiting for them to either pull the plug or - if we're lucky - extend it once again.
Sony won't sell Spidey so Disney needs to buy Sony completely. :p

Nov 1, 2017

Unlikely. With Men In Black disappointing, Sony doesn't really have any more movies to kick-start a new franchise. I don't know how Charlie's Angels going to perform and if it flops, only franchise stopping Sony Pictures from going down under is Spider-Man.

So, They are not going to let go their only money maker for anything. Best case scenario would be to extend the current deal with holland appearing in other mcu films (like Civil War)

Cocamantis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The best for everyone involved (including us) is for Sony to keep sharing Spidey without any restrictions other than also using him for their own Spider-Verse. Imagine if after the last movie in the current contract Spidey went off to Sony's universe and then a few years later he'd come back to the MCU older and with a lot more experience. That would be pretty cool.

Dec 31, 2017
Imagine if after the last movie in the current contract Spidey went off to Sony's universe and then a few years later he'd come back to the MCU older and with a lot more experience. That would be pretty cool.
Yeah, nah.

Sony's lack of understanding of the IP, the lack of willingness to take risks, micro-management of decision-making and writing by committee, can only result in degradation of the Spider-man and MCU brand.

Dec 31, 2017
There is a legal loophole and some precedent that would allow Disney to re-acquire the rights but it involves prolonged litigation, which means years of injunctions on the IP. I am sure Sony is aware of this, too.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Composers for Black Widow and Eternals revealed as per IMDB Pro:

Henry Jackman composed Winter Soldier and Civil War, so that's good continuity, since Widow plays a pivotal role in both films.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
My copy of Spider-Man: Far From Home arrived from Vudu/Walmart. Tried out the Disc + Digital option for the first time ever through Vudu. I wish the discs had the IMAX version like FandangoNOW does. At least I have multiple watching options.

cUl3SXe.jpg

VPmAL8N.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
y'all the bestbuy stellbook cover is so bad lmao

I was taken aback when I realized it wasn't just a slip cover I could throw away and never have to look at again

1563541734280-png.438652

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
My copy of Spider-Man: Far From Home arrived from Vudu/Walmart. Tried out the Disc + Digital option for the first time ever through Vudu. I wish the discs had the IMAX version like FandangoNOW does. At least I have multiple watching options.
The best part of doing disk + digital is that you can still resell the code inside the case and maintain access on VUDU/MA. :)

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah, I guess that's nice. I sent my code to a friend since he and his brothers wanted to see it.
Either way you essentially get 2 digital copes + blu ray and UHD for the same price. Not a bad deal. I always sell them since it brings down my cost from $27 to $17 if I sell the second code for $10.

Status
Not open for further replies.