• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Yes but now they are run under the same house when before the tv and movie department were basically Timmy Turner's Dad and Dinkleberg.

Marvel Television is still separate; they just aren't involved with the Disney+ series. Even the documentary series, while still from the Perlmutter side of the company, are from a different division (Marvel New Media).

On that note, I'm honestly surprised that no original programming from Marvel Television, either live-action or animated, has been announced or reported to be coming to Disney+ thus far. I half-wonder if Feige requested that they be kept off the service to avoid muddying the waters for Marvel Studios' shows.

ABC stuff is high tier. Netflix stuff is low tier. Everything else is nebulously in-between.

Marvel Studios Disney+ stuff is full canon, Agent Carter is canon enough because it's the only Marvel Television show Studios had any real creative involvement in. everything else is in a sort of liminal semantic space where it doesn't really matter if it's canon or not because there's such an infinitesimally small chance of it ever being acknowledged on the Studios side

Last edited:

Slyonic

Oct 29, 2017
Marvel Television is still separate; they just aren't involved with the Disney+ series. Even the documentary series, while still from the Perlmutter side of the company, are from a different division (Marvel New Media).

On that note, I'm honestly surprised that no original programming from Marvel Television, either live-action or animated, has been announced or reported to be coming to Disney+. I half-wonder if Feige requested that they be kept off the service to avoid muddying the waters for Marvel Studios' shows.

Agent Carter is on there. It was in a picture of their catalog.

Oct 29, 2017
Didn't realise there was somebody who has supposedly seen the movie answering very, very spoliery questions in the speculation thread. Shit.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Does anyone have a high resolution of the scene with everyone holding their fists together at the end of the new promo?

That's wallpaper material.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I'm kind of think that the iron man show flying in the trailer is actually Pepper.

There's nothing about it in the wiki.
Oh, so he was just a typical corporate takeover guy. That's a shame, wish they would have tied him in with Hydra and somehow made him the person who ordered the hit on Howard Stark.

Rewatching Ironman last night and man has Tony been through A LOT! I also found it funny that Yinsen is never mentioned again by Tony after the cave scene. Seems like you would honor the man with a statute or something.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Oh, so he was just a typical corporate takeover guy. That's a shame, wish they would have tied him in with Hydra and somehow made him the person who ordered the hit on Howard Stark.

Rewatching Ironman last night and man has Tony been through A LOT! I also found it funny that Yinsen is never mentioned again by Tony after the cave scene. Seems like you would honor the man with a statute or something.

What got me to like Stane was that despite being a corrupt douchebag they gave him relatable and silly scenes like when he came to Tony's house to eat a pizza with him. He felt human, and complex. He was a breath of fresh air for corrupt execs.

edit: Retconning him to be HYDRA would be plausible, too.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
What got me to like Stane was that despite being a corrupt douchebag they gave him relatable and silly scenes like when he came to Tony's house to eat a pizza with him. He felt human, and complex. He was a breath of fresh air for corrupt execs.

edit: Retconning him to be HYDRA would be plausible, too.
I agree, 100%. It's a bit of a shame that they killed him off after one movie since I would have liked to see him and Tony interact further down the line. Thinking about it, perhaps retconning him to be Hydra would lessen the impact of his betrayal of Tony. Him and Howard being genuine best friends adds more meaning to his willingness to sacrifice Tony for power.

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Ok then that;s my Endgame tickets bought. Going to a showing of Infinity War with a friend on the Wednesday night that leads into Endgame at midnight. Can't wait.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I agree, 100%. It's a bit of a shame that they killed him off after one movie since I would have liked to see him and Tony interact further down the line. Thinking about it, perhaps retconning him to be Hydra would lessen the impact of his betrayal of Tony. Him and Howard being genuine best friends adds more meaning to his willingness to sacrifice Tony for power.

With his portrayal I could buy Stane thinking he was genuine friends with Tony and his father and still wanting to kill them. He's that kind of screwed up, like Ward was.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obadiah Stane being Hydra is a dumb idea.

He was just a power hungry asshole.

Insisting that every character in a universe fits into one of like 3 boxes is how you end up with "The Rise of Skywalker".

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017

Insisting that every character in a universe fits into one of like 3 boxes is how you end up with "The Rise of Skywalker".

What if Rocket was a Hydra experiment like the twins? That would explain why he looks like a raccoon - because he actually is one.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if Rocket was a Hydra experiment like the twins? That would explain why he looks like a raccoon - because he actually is one.

"What if the black kid who approached T'Challa at the end of Black Panther was Miles Morales? He could be visiting family in Oakland." ~an actual theory I heard from friends

It can't actually require a ton of creativity to understand why these are dumb ideas, and yet...I need to work on my screenplay more. Fuck it, I can do this shit.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017

Ya know, you don't have to come off as a condescending ass just because you don't like an idea.

Stane had motivations to kill Howard Stark in order to take control of the company and since we later find out that Howard was killed by Hydra and the Winter Soldier, it would make sense for them to be connected. We've already seen HYDRA members attempt to gain access to Stark tech in the way of Senator Stern, so it would be plausible to suggest that Stane was also a part of this initiative and used Stark Industries as a way to destabilize the world in order for HYDRA to take control.

The examples you and The Kree mockingly suggested aren't even comparable to my question and even then I said it was a bad idea because it cheapens the impact of the betrayal.

People come into this thread to ask harmless questions and this is how ya'll respond? lol that's cool I guess.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya know, you don't have to come off as a condescending ass just because you don't like an idea.

Stane had motivations to kill Howard Stark in order to take control of the company and since we later find out that Howard was killed by Hydra and the Winter Soldier, it would make sense for them to be connected. We've already seen HYDRA members attempt to gain access to Stark tech in the way of Senator Stern, so it would be plausible to suggest that Stane was also a part of this initiative and used Stark Industries as a way to destabilize the world in order for HYDRA to take control.

The examples you and The Kree mockingly suggested aren't even comparable to my question and even then I said it was a bad idea because it cheapens the impact of the betrayal.

People come into this thread to ask harmless questions and this is how ya'll respond? lol that's cool I guess.

I think the idea is dumb. If that's me being a condescending asshole *shrug* You'll be ok. I didn't insult anyone.

It's not even a creative idea. It's just trying to force a connection where there isn't an organic one, for the sake of fan service ("Stane was Hydra all this time?! That doesn't effect any plot details at all, but it tricks me into thinking this universe is larger than it is by shrinking it down so that two completely unrelated parties are connected. Awesome!")

It's absolutely as shallow as "Peter Parker was in Iron Man 2", for all the same reasons. Stane just wanted to run the company because he felt it was owed him and was tired of living under the shadow of the Starks.

Sometimes the kid is just a kid.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I think the idea is dumb. If that's me being a condescending asshole *shrug* You'll be ok. I didn't insult anyone.

It's not even a creative idea. It's just trying to force a connection where there isn't an organic one, for the sake of fan service ("Stane was Hydra all this time?! That doesn't effect any plot details at all, but it tricks me into thinking this universe is larger than it is by shrinking it down so that two completely unrelated parties are connected. Awesome!")

It's absolutely as shallow as "Peter Parker was in Iron Man 2", for all the same reasons. Stane just wanted to run the company because he felt it was owed him and was tired of living under the shadow of the Starks.

Sometimes the kid is just a kid.
Again, the examples you're trying to compare them to aren't even alike. But you're right *shrug* good luck with that screenplay lol

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, they made Gary Shandling's character a hydra agent for seemingly no reason in Winter Soldier, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that Stane might be too.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I mean, they made Gary Shandling's character a hydra agent for seemingly no reason in Winter Soldier, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that Stane might be too.
I mean this video connects the dots together pretty well and I like that explanation more than just because he was greedy and wanted it all to himself.

The scene where he takes the arc reactor from Tony is why I asked the question in the first place since it seems he has more overarching intentions but they are never explicitly stated.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, the examples you're trying to compare them to aren't even alike. But you're right *shrug* good luck with that screenplay lol

They're the same shit; people trying to shoehorn connections in where they aren't doing anything but shrinking the world.

And thank you for the sarcastic response about a dream of mine. I'll try to use it as motivation instead of letting it seed further doubt in my head about what I'm capable of doing.

No ones saying it's beyond the realm of possibility.

It's just a nothing idea.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
They're the same shit; people trying to shoehorn connections in where they aren't doing anything but shrinking the world.

And thank you for the sarcastic response about a dream of mine. I'll try to use it as motivation instead of letting it seed further doubt in my head about what I'm capable of doing.

No ones saying it's beyond the realm of possibility.

It's just a nothing idea.
Just reciprocating the energy. Doesn't feel good, does it?
Ya know there's a better way to say you don't like something than to call it a dumb idea and then continue to mock them and throw out the fact that you are writing a screenplay so you must know better.

I'm not too proud to admit when an idea of mine is a bad one and even did so with that idea posts later but having a constructive discussion goes a long way rather than how you went about it.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agent Carter is the only Marvel Television series on which Kevin Feige was an executive producer.

Yeah, that checks out.

Just reciprocating the energy. Doesn't feel good, does it?
Ya know there's a better way to say you don't like something than to call it a dumb idea and then continue to mock them and throw out the fact that you are writing a screenplay so you must know better.

I'm not too proud to admit when an idea of mine is a bad one and even did so with that idea posts later but having a constructive discussion goes a long way rather than how you went about it.

I didn't say it was a bad idea because i was writing a screenplay lol. I didn't even bring that up in relation to that, I brought it up in relation to feeling like I could do a better job writing and titling a film than someone currently employed by Disney. That was never about you, and it's weird you'd read that post, in which I laughed at dumb theories from actual friends of mine, and think it was.

My feelings aren't hurt by you, because I don't know who you are. And that's not meant to be an insult to you. I don't even know what you look like. If you want constructive discussion, defend your points when I disagree with them! And if you harbor a ton of negative energy towards me because I picked apart an idea of yours that I didn't like, do me and everyone else in here a favor and ignore me so we never have to interact with each other again.

Good grief.

Last edited:

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Anyways, watching Cap 1 tonight, I wonder if Red Skull was really a child of Thanos this whole time.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Let's not start this again! :)
In all seriousness, watching Ironman last night for the first time in a while made me realize how half-baked some of the other MCU origin films are. Granted, that is mostly because at the time there wasn't an "MCU" proper but I wonder if it'll affect how much I enjoy the rest of the origin films.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
In all seriousness, watching Ironman last night for the first time in a while made me realize how half-baked some of the other MCU origin films are. Granted, that is mostly because at the time there wasn't an "MCU" proper but I wonder if it'll affect how much I enjoy the rest of the origin films.

Iron Man does have a really great origin story. Cap's is okay, but being a super soldier in world war 2 is the least interesting thing about him. Age of Ultron...well, it's okay, but not great, but Vision's origin was good. Wanda's was prefunctory. Falcon didn't really have an origin, tho I liked him in Winter Soldier (best mcu movie. Fite me) Black Widow's introduction in Iron Man 2 is better in retrospective then it might've been at the time. Arrow Guy's intro was wasted, since he spends 75% of the movie under Loki's control. I liked Ant-man's origin okay. Spider-man doesn't have an origin, thank god. We've seen it all before. I liked Black Panther in Civil War more than I did in BP's own movie, which I thought was good, but inconsequential in terms of the meta narrative. Dr Strange was good, if a little...pedestrian. That showdown with Dormamu was amazeballs, tho. And he's great in IW. I've haven't seen CM (waiting for Blu-Ray) Is that all of them? Oh, Guardians. #1 was a good movie. #2 was a little indulgent. What does is say that Nebula's my favorite character from that series. Hulk? Who cares. Oh, yeah, Thor. Ragnarok is great....I haven't seen the original Thor. I'll see it when I do my complete rewatch before endgame. Is that it ?

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know that anyone's gonna fight you on "Winter Soldier is the best MCU movie".

I mean, I disagree, but that's a strong contender nevertheless.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

I did the whole rewatch thing for Infinity War last year, and tbh, I don't think that Iron Man has aged particularly well. RDJ's performance seemed incredibly fresh at the time but no longer has the same novelty after he's reprised the role so many times, and politically, the vibe of the film (vaguely Islamic terrorist villains, veneration of the military) is extremely post-9/11/late George W. Bush presidency in a way that doesn't hold up well a decade later.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Would be so cool if Disney and Marvel Studios would make a Celebration event similar to what Star Wars has. I actually think Kevin Feige talked about it once.

"Over the years there have been discussions about that […] I think what we try to do occasionally in San Diego we're very proud of and think is a fun tradition. That being said, I think [Star Wars] Celebration is pretty amazing. I've been to a few Celebrations and the idea of doing something like that … I think we have enough content, and enough fans, and enough ideas that we could easily do something like that, I'm just not sure where or when."

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't sarcasm. At most you could have been accused of being a little curt. To then call you condescending and attack something you are invested in was ridiculous

Thanks for making me feel a little less insane.

That's so cute

I wonder whose Game Boys those are

Shit, I wonder what game they're playing.

It's cool that they're all so close. I'd hate to think none of them liked hanging around each other.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I did the whole rewatch thing for Infinity War last year, and tbh, I don't think that Iron Man has aged particularly well. RDJ's performance seemed incredibly fresh at the time but no longer has the same novelty after he's reprised the role so many times, and politically, the vibe of the film (vaguely Islamic terrorist villains, veneration of the military) is extremely post-9/11/late George W. Bush presidency in a way that doesn't hold up well a decade later.

This is the reason why I can't take Iron Man films seriously. The first one is almost like a non-satirical live action remake of Team America, complete with terrorists running around yelling "daka daka" at one another. I have managed to watch it up to the point where he cobbles together his first suit, apparently from left over ration tins and an old lawn mower. Then I had to turn it off before I lost the will to continue breathing.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Iron Man does have a really great origin story. Cap's is okay, but being a super soldier in world war 2 is the least interesting thing about him. Age of Ultron...well, it's okay, but not great, but Vision's origin was good. Wanda's was prefunctory. Falcon didn't really have an origin, tho I liked him in Winter Soldier (best mcu movie. Fite me) Black Widow's introduction in Iron Man 2 is better in retrospective then it might've been at the time. Arrow Guy's intro was wasted, since he spends 75% of the movie under Loki's control. I liked Ant-man's origin okay. Spider-man doesn't have an origin, thank god. We've seen it all before. I liked Black Panther in Civil War more than I did in BP's own movie, which I thought was good, but inconsequential in terms of the meta narrative. Dr Strange was good, if a little...pedestrian. That showdown with Dormamu was amazeballs, tho. And he's great in IW. I've haven't seen CM (waiting for Blu-Ray) Is that all of them? Oh, Guardians. #1 was a good movie. #2 was a little indulgent. What does is say that Nebula's my favorite character from that series. Hulk? Who cares. Oh, yeah, Thor. Ragnarok is great....I haven't seen the original Thor. I'll see it when I do my complete rewatch before endgame. Is that it ?
You went much deeper than I meant lol I was speaking in terms of solo origin films but nonetheless I think you got all of them right. I agree that Civil War introduced Tchalla better than his own movie but Black Panther is still too good. Captain Marvel does a good job or hitting all the necessary marks for a decent origin but doesn't do much beyond that.
Yeah it's definitely very heavy handed in the Murica tone and in that aspect you're right but I think it does the best job of establishing how Tony is and does a good job at showing you why you should like and care about him. Its been a while since I've watched any of the Ironman films since I don't particularly care for them but it was nice to see how far Tony has came in a span of 10 years. A bunch of nice character moments and some things like "not having a family" still are true and make his character even more tragic compared to where he's at now post IW.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
So Endgame broke the day one ticket sales record here in my country as well. And although we're a small population of 5.5 million, it still sounds awfully low, that the record was smashed with 47.000 tickets sold within a day for Endgame.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never felt much of the praising of the US military from the first Iron Man considering Tony's realization that he has blood on his hands very much implicates the military as well as himself.

I know the military got to sign off on the film and whatnot, but I don't think they come out of it looking like anything better than inefficient warmongers themselves. Especially considering the courtroom precedings that follow in Iron Man 2.

It might be Boggle, they mentioned that in the roundtable this week.

I could tell they weren't trading Pokemon, but I'm still heartbroken to hear confirmation lmao

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Don't know that anyone's gonna fight you on "Winter Soldier is the best MCU movie".

I mean, I disagree, but that's a strong contender nevertheless.

It's more of a joke than a real challenge. I know most people consider it to be top tier MCU, so I just say fite me cause it makes me laugh.

Did they go back in time to CM's movie? What's with the original gameboys?

Probably Tetris. The only game worth playing.

Yeah, it's tetris. You can tell.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017

Hey your idea was better than the opinion that Ant Man is phase 3

Status
Not open for further replies.