• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmood88

Oct 28, 2017
It has been years since I listened to Smodcast, and I forgot that I was subscribed to the feed, but there's a new episode with Markus and McFeely and it's great. There's a lot of insight into how they wrote Endgame, plus it's genuinely funny.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
The guy has mad gymnastic skills and has behind him an illustrious career as a child actor and dancer. For him to also have had time to be like the guy he plays onscreen is asking too much. While not practising and auditioning and acting and filming and studying I don't think he'd have the time. This guy is seriously career oriented. I get exhausted just reading his Wikipedia biography. It's just an endless stream of superlative achievements.

Yeah, Holland has been working his ass off since he was a kid. Not watching the biggest pop culture films isn't a big deal for someone like him.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
It has been years since I listened to Smodcast, and I forgot that I was subscribed to the feed, but there's a new episode with Markus and McFeely and it's great. There's a lot of insight into how they wrote Endgame, plus it's genuinely funny.
I'm not finding a link, but I did find this:

Pretty interesting interview with tidbits I didn't know before.

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking about The Fantastic Four earlier. Anyone else kinda hope their MCU debut is a total period piece taking place in the early 1960's? Then they arrive in the present day at the end of the movie for sequels obviously. Also, they should let Doom be a slow build . Use Mole Man for movie 1.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, considering the deluge of questions in the wake of A4, the hypothetical continued use of time travel is really going to rankle some people.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Avengers: Endgame comes to Disney+ exclusively on December 11.

And Captain Marvel comes out digitally on May 28. And on blu-ray on June 11.

Variety: Bob Iger has also said the slate of future MCU films will likely happen this Summer.

Last edited:

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I mean, after the swerve with the Mandarin in Iron Man 3 (I know, I know... that was quite a while ago now), I wouldn't totally discount the possibility of Mysterio being "good" - the only question is, who would the actual villain be? It's definitely not the elementals and there doesn't appear to be anyone else in the trailer that could be a "covert" villain.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, after the swerve with the Mandarin in Iron Man 3 (I know, I know... that was quite a while ago now), I wouldn't totally discount the possibility of Mysterio being "good" - the only question is, who would the actual villain be? It's definitely not the elementals and there doesn't appear to be anyone else in the trailer that could be a "covert" villain.
Remember this thread, when Numan Acar joined the cast last summer. Today Jon Watts confirmed there's a character in the film named Dmitri. Not saying he'll end up being the iconic character we know, since he could be a different interpretation for this movie.

"Well, Dmitri in the film works for Nick Fury and I think anyone who works for Nick Fury, they certainly have a mysterious past," the filmmaker teased. "We're not specifically saying that he's...but we're not not saying."

Jon Watts also seem to be confirming that they're playing with that whole "Daily Bugle" thing but modernizing it to fit with the times. He wouldn't deny J.J. Jameson either, which J.B. Smoove could be playing.

Far From Home will also have a very surprising scene apparently:

Tom Holland: "There's a scene in this film where audiences will feel like they've been punched in the face. Even filming it, I remember walking out and then watching it again on the monitors and asking Jon, 'Are you sure that's okay?' And he's like, 'No, it's not. People are going to hate this scene.'

But it really, phew, God, it's pretty crazy and it's very similar in the way that it's very tense and it whips the rug from underneath your feet. It's pretty awesome."

I feel like they are trying to set us up and surprise us like they did with Homecoming. And I hope they pull it all off, cause after today's set reports I'm very excited for everything in Far From Home.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
A second Mysterio? Ah, whatever, we'll know when the movie comes out.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Watching a new Russos interview I wasn't aware before of how much Spider-Man's MCU entrance and the deal with Sony was driven specifically by the Russos for Civil War

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
So one thing I never really got in AOU was what Ultron was. Rewatching it makes it clear it's not Tony or Banner's AI..

Tony: "They deep-sixed the data, but...I gotta guess he was knocking on a very particular door."
---
Jarvis: "Our sentience integration trials have been unsuccessful so I'm not certain what triggered your... "
---
Tony: "We didn't. We weren't even close. Were we close to an interface?"

And they suggest Strucker was developing AI. So was it Hydra AI? A trojan horse inside the gem? Or was Ultron's personality the mind-stone itself that hydra was trying to use like Tony? Thanos' "I'll do it myself" always made me wonder if he was involved.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
So one thing I never really got in AOU was what Ultron was. Rewatching it makes it clear it's not Tony or Banner's AI..

Tony: "They deep-sixed the data, but...I gotta guess he was knocking on a very particular door."
---
Jarvis: "Our sentience integration trials have been unsuccessful so I'm not certain what triggered your... "
---

And they suggest Strucker was developing AI. So was it Hydra AI? A trojan horse inside the gem? Or was Ultron's personality the mind-stone itself that hydra was trying to use like Tony? Thanos' "I'll do it myself" always made me wonder if he was involved.

Agreed, it's completely and utterly muddled. Far from the only reason why AoU was a disappointment, but it's definitely one of the bigger ones.

I also half-wondered if Wanda's "you took everything from me" in Endgame means she blames Thanos for Ultron and hence her brother's death, but maybe that's a stretch.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017

---
---

I'm pretty sure that it's intentionally vague. The whole point is that Tony doesn't really have any idea what he's dealing with but decides to screw around with it anyway.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

---
---

That first line is talking about the Mind Stone research iirc, not AI. I think Ultron is a mix of Tony and Banner's program + the Mind Stone (Banner remarks about the inside of the Mind Stone being like an alien AI).

okdakor

Oct 26, 2017
France
I saw posts wondering about snapped people reappearing in the sky, but has anybody thought about Ghost ? She was dying without quantum energy, and with all the Pyms snapped... Actually it would have been better for her to be snapped...

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So for the inevitable new Team-Up series(New Avengers/Ultimates/etc.), you think they're gonna grab long established side characters for the 1 or 2 headline slots, or bring in new characters? Which or who would you want?

Or do you believe the next team will only have members that have their own series?

Last edited:

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

holy jesus god in heaven

i don't have any room for anything in my house

BUT THIS

giphy.gif

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine

---
---

I'm pretty sure that it's intentionally vague. The whole point is that Tony doesn't really have any idea what he's dealing with but decides to screw around with it anyway.

The vague-ness around Ultron is likely one of the many, many results of the tension between Whedon and the Marvel Creative Committee. It's unclear if Whedon was ever going to put a definitive answer on what Ultron was - but it's likely the need to tie in to the infinity saga meant he was trying to shove a round peg into a square hole, and so just fudged some of the details.

Personal head-canon is that Thanos and Maw developed the blue housing shell for the mind stone to both hide the true nature of the mind stone and to trojan horse a malicious AI that would use the gem to subconsciously influence the people around it.
1) Marvel already put out a statement that Loki himself was under the staff's influence, turning his bitterness and need for affirmation into something more malevolent and bloodthirsty.
2) It's stated in the Avengers that the staff is making the team irritable and paranoid - but the stones themselves don't actively influence the world around them unless used (with the possible exception of reality in the Dark World, but Jane touched it so the idea still holds) - so something was actively using the stone.

So, what would be the point? Not only to drive Loki to commit to conquering Earth, but in the event he failed the AI would work to influence the people around it to further destabilize the planet - making it easier for Thanos to send another crony to collect the stones from Earth.

Ultron was the result of Thanos' program co-opting the Ultron program - twisting Tony and Bruce's "protect humanity" into something that was destructive.

Again, just head canon. The Russos (or maybe it was Marcus and McFeely) admitted they had no idea what was up with the Thanos stinger in Age of Ultron.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Any good supercut/refresher videos for Endgame? One condition, they can't be too long. Ten minutes or less. My dad's seeing Endgame tomorrow; he's seen Infinity War and a bunch others, but not Dr Strange, Captain Marvel, the Ant-Man movies, Dark World, etc.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the confusion about Ultron, or the insistence that the mind stone can't possibly be the one stone able to kinda...use itself. It's the physical manifestation of the universe's mind.

Hell, all the stones are somewhat sentient. It's been stated (in the comics, anyways) that, on some level, they want to be found, utilized, and reunited with one another.

O captain my captain.

This is legendary tier shit.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
The vague-ness around Ultron is likely one of the many, many results of the tension between Whedon and the Marvel Creative Committee. It's unclear if Whedon was ever going to put a definitive answer on what Ultron was - but it's likely the need to tie in to the infinity saga meant he was trying to shove a round peg into a square hole, and so just fudged some of the details.

Personal head-canon is that Thanos and Maw developed the blue housing shell for the mind stone to both hide the true nature of the mind stone and to trojan horse a malicious AI that would use the gem to subconsciously influence the people around it.
1) Marvel already put out a statement that Loki himself was under the staff's influence, turning his bitterness and need for affirmation into something more malevolent and bloodthirsty.
2) It's stated in the Avengers that the staff is making the team irritable and paranoid - but the stones themselves don't actively influence the world around them unless used (with the possible exception of reality in the Dark World, but Jane touched it so the idea still holds) - so something was actively using the stone.

So, what would be the point? Not only to drive Loki to commit to conquering Earth, but in the event he failed the AI would work to influence the people around it to further destabilize the planet - making it easier for Thanos to send another crony to collect the stones from Earth.

Ultron was the result of Thanos' program co-opting the Ultron program - twisting Tony and Bruce's "protect humanity" into something that was destructive.

Again, just head canon. The Russos (or maybe it was Marcus and McFeely) admitted they had no idea what was up with the Thanos stinger in Age of Ultron.
I like this, it is shown to be affecting Banner on the Helicarrier in A1, for instance.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Anthony Mackie implied that he's getting a full out Captain America suit for the Disney+ series.

A whole series with Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan is going to be amazing but at the same time I don't like the idea of the new Captain America being relegated to a TV series.

Status
Not open for further replies.