• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game will sell more units globally during its lifetime?

• Animal Crossing Castaways

Votes: 1,027 54.1%
  • Final Fantasy 7: Remake: Part 1: Midgar

Votes: 870 45.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's very possible, especially if there are another set of Pokemon games in 2020

It will be nearly impossible to match New Leaf sales in Japan (that was monstrously successful) but I believe it will be up significantly everywhere else. Especially in the US

And the degree of this boost is what I question when looking at (albeit fairly old, the point has been made many times) Switch Demographics in its largest non-japan region, and the trend of Lite VS Regular sales in a global context.

I realize it may well be an unpopular position, but thats the position I'm taking based on the data I have. It's far harder to predict the performance of a title like FFVIIR than AC, which may throw everything to the cosmic winds.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Switch Install base is what, 20 million? FF7R is releasing on PS4 a 100+ million platform, and very likely other platforms in the future, not to mention other episodes, ultimate edition, and endless ports for decades to come including Switch 5 in 2035. AC games are 1 and done.

But even if we're just talking 2020 alone, I think FF7R easily outsells AC based on vastly superior install base and decades of hype. Theres going to be a 4K PS5 version probably in 2020.

Mzril

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sword/Shield sales in Japan after 2 weeks are higher than every Pokémon game outside of Black/White and (probably) X/Y.

Famitsu has 1.740.084 is Sw/Sh after 2 weeks. Famitsu has 2.327.453 for Sun and Moon. You're going to need to give me a source.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
FFVII Remake will have a massive launch - AC the much better legs.
I can see AC still charting 1 year later, Final Fantasy however not

hannybunny24

Jun 25, 2018
Germany
Famitsu has 1.740.084 is Sw/Sh after 2 weeks. Famitsu has 2.327.453 for Sun and Moon. You're going to need to give me a source.
Frist week was at 2m in Japan, 1.36 retail, 650k digital. It shows slightly better week on week drops then the 3DS games. So it is sightly better then sun/moon (and if you ask that game had 100k digital sales lifetime) on half the install base, and on par or maybe slightly worse then XY.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
LTD digital sales for Sun/Moon are lower than 100k as shown by shipments from Nintendo.
Nintendo has announced that Sword/Shield sold over 2 million units retail + digital in 3 days in Japan, Famitsu has it selling 382.540 more at retail during its second week (digital is missing for that week).

OP
OP
Jimmy Joe

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019

According to Nintendo, Sword/Shield sold through 2 million units in the first week in Japan. Taking Famitsu numbers as a baseline, that would suggest the games had a 30-35% digital share for that week.

You seem confident that Animal Crossing on Switch will be less popular than it was on DS or 3DS; where do you see the game ending up, more or less?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lifetime? Animal Crossing and it's not a contest. In March 2020? My money's on FFVIIR

This post nails it. FFVII will have the early lead, but Animal Crossing will benefit from sales for years as the Switch is currently in it's prime. The PS4 has 12 months before the PS5 comes out.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Animal Crossing, as I think FF7: Remake being episodic will diminish its sales. As much as I want it personally, I'll never buy a game day one when it's likely I'll be waiting a while for the next episode to drop.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
That's not how this works this is about lifetime ffvii remake vs lifetime animal crossing includes all editions.
The poll specifically states part 1 though (granted it also jokingly refers to the next Animal Crossing game as "Castaways") and even the op stated we probably shouldn't count complete editions
Irresponsible though it may be, I left these qualifiers off specifically because I'm curious to see the reasoning that people end up using; there have been arguments in favor of FF7 coming from the perspective of one SKU as well as from a multiplat

Given that we're counting all the re-releases that the first FF7 got (I think they ended up adding an additional 2 million units over the course of 15 years?) I suppose it would make sense to count eventual ports of Part 1 of the remake? But I might not count ports of a complete collection, myself

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
FF7 might outsell AC during the launch period but AC will overtake it in lifetime sales. I think the people that are so confident that FF7 will outsell it are overestimating the popularity of the series on a broad scale and underestimating the appeal of AC.

Mzril

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

According to Nintendo, Sword/Shield sold through 2 million units in the first week in Japan. Taking Famitsu numbers as a baseline, that would suggest the games had a 30-35% digital share for that week.

You seem confident that Animal Crossing on Switch will be less popular than it was on DS or 3DS; where do you see the game ending up, more or less?

So apparently my assumptions about Pokemon in Japan were wrong, and that changes things. I was predicting a far bigger drop in Japan. Like a +33% drop. Pokemon Data doesn't 1-1 correlate to AV due to a difference of demographics, but the fact that Pokemon grew in Japan no less is quite honestly shocking.

I'm still expecting drops in Japan compared to NL due to the trend of Switch Lite sales but without the drastic drops I was expecting global numbers are up in the air. If Japan pulls 4.5 Million on NH I can see it beating NL. Before this I had put NH at 10 million, possibly under.

So looks like AC is the likely winner now as far as the thread goes, but I will still hold on to the prediction that NL will still outsell NH. I think NH will cap out at 12 million, slightly under NL, but too close for comfort to call decisively.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Appreciate the updated numbers. Its still a 2:1 ratio and FF7R feels like a much bigger project that SE plans on profiting on for literally decades. The only kinda interesting comparison will be month 1 sales.
Install base being in favor of Sony doesn't matter at all when multiple switch titles have become best selling in their respected franchises.

Zelda
Fire Emblem
3D Mario
Smash Bros ultimate.

And I'm probably missing some.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
FF7 might outsell AC during the launch period but AC will overtake it in lifetime sales. I think the people that are so confident that FF7 will outsell it are overestimating the popularity of the series on a broad scale and underestimating the appeal of AC.
the issue is the skus. since it's ltd, FF7 could come out on xbox 1, scarlett, ps5, PC, and possibly Next Switch tbh. AC could be on NSW and maybe next Switch, but AC doesn't get ports/remasters much.
if it's just ps4 FF7 vs NSW AC then it's AC for sure imo.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Animal Crossing will have longer legs.
Does anyone recognize that the original FF7 has been on 7 platforms and has legs that have lasted 20+ years? Across all its platforms FF7 has sold more than New Leaf, the highest selling AC game. New Leaf Amiibo edition came on 3DS at a time it had a greater install base than Switch will have, and at 3DS game prices. You know SE plans on milking FF7R for 20+ years again. After all the episodes there will be ultimate bundles, PS5 port of course in 4K, and eventually mobile and Switch 3 some day. Nintendo won't port this AC game even once.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I was honestly a bit surprised when I learned that FFVII - with all it's legacy and fandom, and all it's releases on various platforms - still "only" managed to sell 12 million units in 22 years.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've never had an interest in a animal crossing game. That remains the same after what I've seen so far.

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
the issue is the skus. since it's ltd, FF7 could come out on xbox 1, scarlett, ps5, PC, and possibly Next Switch tbh. AC could be on NSW and maybe next Switch, but AC doesn't get ports/remasters much.
if it's just ps4 FF7 vs NSW AC then it's AC for sure imo.
It's kinda hard to say I guess. Time and time again we have seen Switch exclusives outsell multi platform stuff, but yeah, I can see a next gen version of FF7 hugely bolstering its sales again. Hadn't considered that.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I forget, how much did Welcome amiibo contribute to the overall New Leaf sales?
June 2015 - 9.17 million units shipped globally
September 2015 - 9.44m
December 2015 - 9.86m
March 2016 - Selects in Japan & 10.00m
June 2016 - Selects in Europe & 10.11m
August 2016 - Selects in North America
September 2016 - 10.34m
November 2016 - Welcome Amiibo launch
December 2016 - 10.45m (without Welcome Amiibo)
March 2017 - 10.97m (with Welcome Amiibo)
June 2017 - 11.09m

Nintendo only decided to add Welcome Amiibo shipments to New Leaf's total shipments when they revealed March 2017 numbers so the December 2016 figure is missing late November-December shipments.

Neither Selects nor Welcome Amiibo seem to have had much of an impact imo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jimmy Joe

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Does anyone recognize that the original FF7 has been on 7 platforms and has legs that have lasted 20+ years? Across all its platforms FF7 has sold more than New Leaf, the highest selling AC game. New Leaf Amiibo edition came on 3DS at a time it had a greater install base than Switch will have, and at 3DS game prices. You know SE plans on milking FF7R for 20+ years again. After all the episodes there will be ultimate bundles, PS5 port of course in 4K, and eventually mobile and Switch 3 some day. Nintendo won't port this AC game even once.
I may be wrong here, but I believe that New Leaf actually outsold FF7 across all of its original and download releases according to the latest numbers for both games—though, granted, this was only to the tune of about 60k copies

FF7 sold the vast majority of its copies in its original run; the following 15-20 years only added about another 2 million copies

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I reckon both will be huge. I think initial sales of FFVII Remake may pip Animal Crossing but Nintendo's Exclusives have a tendency to keep selling long after release at an impressive rate - especially given they barely go down in price!

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
how is ff7 taking 22 years and 10 platforms to sell less than what new leaf sold in 7 years on one platform impressive?

OP
OP
Jimmy Joe

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
June 2015 - 9.17 million units shipped globally
September 2015 - 9.44m
December 2015 - 9.86m
March 2016 - Selects in Japan & 10.00m
June 2016 - Selects in Europe & 10.11m
August 2016 - Selects in North America
September 2016 - 10.34m
November 2016 - Welcome Amiibo launch
December 2016 - 10.45m (without Welcome Amiibo)
March 2017 - 10.97m (with Welcome Amiibo)
June 2017 - 11.09m

Nintendo only decided to add Welcome Amiibo shipments to New Leaf's total shipments when they revealed March 2017 numbers so the December 2016 figure is missing late November-December shipments.

Neither Selects nor Welcome Amiibo seem to have had much of an impact imo.
Thsi is pretty wild, that New Leaf managed to move another million copies and change after the launch of the Switch. I know half the point of this thread is that Animal Crossing has wild, wild legs, but still: those are some legs.

May I ask where you're getting these numbers? I thought Nintendo's yearly reports didn't cover games that sold under a million in a given fiscal year

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Thsi is pretty wild, that New Leaf managed to move another million copies and change after the launch of the Switch. I know half the point of this thread is that Animal Crossing has wild, wild legs, but still: those are some legs.

May I ask where you're getting these numbers? I thought Nintendo's yearly reports didn't cover games that sold under a million in a given fiscal year
Nintendo updates global shipments for the top 10 selling games of every system since the DS every quarter (or half of the year).
You can find them via web archive:
(For December 2016 and later Nintendo changed the links ->)
https://web.archive.org/web/2016091...intendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/3ds.html

Last edited:

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
how is ff7 taking 22 years and 10 platforms to sell less than what new leaf sold in 7 years on one platform impressive?
My point wasn't that it was or wasn't impressive. My point was that the original FF7 game has 20+ year legs and AC won't. The poll specifies lifetime sales. Based on lifetime sales, no AC game has ever outsold FF7. We could say that the answer to this poll question won't be answered for 20 years due to SE selling the game that long or perhaps even longer with the remake.

Like I said in an earlier post, the more interesting question would be 1st month sales, or perhaps 2020 sales. But in 2040 SE will still be selling FF7R and Nintendo will have made 5 AC games since this one, if history repeats.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My point wasn't that it was or wasn't impressive. My point was that the original FF7 game has 20+ year legs and AC won't. The poll specifies lifetime sales. Based on lifetime sales, no AC game has ever outsold FF7. We could say that the answer to this poll question won't be answered for 20 years due to SE selling the game that long or perhaps even longer with the remake.

Like I said in an earlier post, the more interesting question would be 1st month sales, or perhaps 2020 sales. But in 2040 SE will still be selling FF7R and Nintendo will have made 5 AC games since this one, if history repeats.
once you start selling a came for less than a McD's combo, I think using it as "legs" doesn't tell actually tell you anything meaningful

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017

Animal Crossing was the 38th best selling game of last year in Japan.

The game came out November 2012 and the 3DS successor came out March 2017.

Dem legs.

038./017. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2016.11.23} (¥2.700) - 137.318 / 481.813 (-47%) (16.916 <32,39%>)

OP
OP
Jimmy Joe

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019

New Leaf did outsell Final Fantasy VII. It's been selling about 80k copies a quarter this year, and passed it up sometime between June and September. It continues to outsell Final Fantasy VII, and will probably maintain that lead for a long time.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
super_smash_bros____isabelle_by_schalternate_dcmu2ua-fullview.jpg

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Status
Not open for further replies.