• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game will sell more units globally during its lifetime?

• Animal Crossing Castaways

Votes: 1,027 54.1%
  • Final Fantasy 7: Remake: Part 1: Midgar

Votes: 870 45.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
R41kgws.jpg

The face of chaos. The harbingers of all doom.

So come March there's going to be a bunch of games coming out. Doom Eternal's coming, that game's gonna be real cool. Bloodlines 2 is coming, I think? That's wild. Wild that that's being made. Half-Life Alyx is tentatively slated for that month, right? Man. Another one. Nioh 2's landing; remember when we thought Team Ninja would never make another good game? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

But we're not here to talk about those games. We're here to talk about two games. The two biggest games, I think, and which of these titans will end up selling more in the long term.

On the one hand we have Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Animal Crossing is the quiet juggernaut of Nintendo's lineup, with the last two mainline entries casually strolling past the ten million unit mark, and the Switch audience eager as all get out to sink their teeth into a game that will let them live out the most extreme of all video game fantasies: home ownership. God knows it'll be my first Animal Crossing.

On the other hand we have Final Fantasy VII, a remake of the seminal classic that people have been asking for since the Playstation 2 days. FF7's the best-selling single SKU in franchise history, and speaks to an audience who want both the classic Final Fantasy and also something different from the series. Final Fantasy fans want this one, and some of these are waking up for the first time in a long time.

Which of these two games will sell more over the course of time? Can Animal Crossing really be that popular, I mean really? Can Final Fantasy VII overcome the problem that it's only like half of Disc 1, maybe less? Is there an upper limit for these games? Where will they land?

In this completely arbitrary comparison, brought on by close release dates and Isabelle and Cloud standing next to each other in the Smash Ultimate banner, which one will be played by more people? Let's hear everyone's thoughts on which and on why.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
User warned: threadwhining
I fucking hate these comparison threads, what's the point in doing this exactly OP?

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't bet against a Nintendo game in terms of lifetime sales. FFVII will easily outsell Animal Crossing in 2020 though.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's gonna be AC. I know a lot of people who don't even game too much who will get AC, it has broad appeal.

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Both games will be massively successful and drain their fanbase wallets, so Nintendo and SE wins.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
both games will be successful

but AC appeals to just way too many people of all ages and gaming types

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
They will both do very well

But AC beating FF7?

People are taking crazy pills

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
If they don't f... it up with microtransactions AC will sell more during its life. FF VII might sell more if you add the inevitable PS5 version and the countless people who'll double dip.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
FF7R part 1 is going to be ported so many times I can't see any way how it will lose in the end to a Switch exclusive.

PS4, X1, PC, PS5, X2, Switch 2, who knows what else.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I fucking hate these comparison threads, what's the point in doing this exactly OP?

What's wrong comparing and discussing two juggernaut ips in term of which will sell better, considering they release in similar time frame and each represents the biggest game of competing consoles? We discuss sales of games all the time.

It's not like the OP asks which one will get better score in reviews.

I swear some of you are logging on to ResetEra everyday just to get upset about something.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
R41kgws.jpg

Amazing foreshadowing. These two were meant for each other.

DnRV-wtU4AAH0rQ

I'm sure those who like both will buy both and check in on AC daily while working on FF7 at the same time. AC is made to be played during certain periods at a time.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
either way its not like these two are even competing. They gonna sell what they gonna sell no matter how close they are to each other

FF7R may do better in the very short term possibly. As its a frontloaded game where AC will have a burst, then gradually get more and more

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it will be a tough call, the most successful animal crossing sold 12 million ff7 sold also 12 million this year.
animal crossing appeals to all ages and a broader audience, ff7 released originally in a time where games sold way less than today
hard to tell

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Animal Crossing New Leaf life time sales ended up being over 11m. Animal Crossing is going to take this.

Jan 2, 2018
55a1c2-1575354357.png

Nice!

But I'm baffled how many people think FF VII: Remake will outsell Animal Crossing. The first part of the remake of a JRPG won't sell 15+ million copies.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Huh? AC is also a sale monster series.
Ehm....

Go check AC sales and come back here
I know that AC sold like crazy (12M with New Leaf)

But we are also talking about FF7.
The most beloved entry in a franchise popular as fuck.

FF XV sold 9M by the end of 2018. Goddamn FF XV.

FF 7 would sell well regardless of the game's quality, but its shapping up to be an amazing remake. Won "best game at E3" by many publications.

It will be a monster

Maybe AC will beat it in the long run, but I think that they will go side by side.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
FFVII baby, never even played the original but been waiting eons for a modern way to experience the game

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I look forward to playing my first AC game. I'll get FFVIIR when the whole thing is out in 2172.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I mean of course FFVII is going to sell a lot, but it's going to be front-loaded.
Animal Crossing will sell consistently well for the next 5 - 10 years.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
This thread made me realize I had a dream Animal Crossing was further delayed a while back and just... thought that was the truth until now.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
XV was on three platforms. VIIR so far is only going to be on one. And XV was a single entry where as in people know VIIR is going to be multiple parts.
Dude, do you really think that FF 7 will struggle to beat FF XV? You crazy

The announcement video has 15M views on the Playstation channel. And thats one channel alone.

I expect Uncharted 4 numbers

I'm sure that SE will eventually port the game to the next generation of consoles, but I'm not even considering that

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
both will succeed, both FF7 will sell more, much more, day 1 and lifetime.

Also lol, Nioh 2 is march release too.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What's wrong comparing and discussing two juggernaut ips in term of which will sell better, considering they release in similar time frame and each represents the biggest game of competing consoles? We discuss sales of games all the time.

It's not like the OP asks which one will get better score in reviews.

I swear some of you are logging on to ResetEra everyday just to get upset about something.
I'm sure you're aware of the other comparison threads that were locked right?
I know that AC sold like crazy (12M with New Leaf)

But we are also talking about FF7.
The most beloved entry in a franchise popular as fuck.

FF XV sold 9M by the end of 2018. Goddamn FF XV.

FF 7 would sell well regardless of the game's quality, but its shapping up to be an amazing remake. Won "best game at E3" by many publications.

It will be a monster

Maybe AC will beat it in the long run, but I think that they will go side by side.
It isn't as easy as that, XV was a new mainline title, VII is a remake and is only a part of the whole game, there isn't even guarantee that it'll sell more than XV.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Animal Crossing is the safe bet.

But who knows, maybe FF7 will be this crazy zeitgeist game like the original did back in the days when the gaming market was tiny compared to now.

Status
Not open for further replies.