• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game will sell more units globally during its lifetime?

• Animal Crossing Castaways

Votes: 1,027 54.1%
  • Final Fantasy 7: Remake: Part 1: Midgar

Votes: 870 45.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I cant see scenario where SE doesn't release a definitive edition of FFVIIR Part 1 on PS5 and eventually port it to PC. That's easy money for them.
Not to mention the X1 and successor ports down the line as well.

To think that a massive selling title on just one console will be able to outsell the multiplatform juggernaut is definitely a bit uhh... strange.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

To think that a massive selling title on just one console will be able to outsell the multiplatform juggernaut is definitely a bit uhh... strange.
FFVII have sold +11 million after like 25 rereleases, I think some people overestimate it, haven't the recent AC games sold more than that?
Isn't VIIR coming to PC too?
Not at launch.
I assume that VII Remake will appeal to some people who don't even give a fuck about FF anymore, but will buy VII Remake because of their childhood.
Possible I guess, but I honestly don't see it doing much better than XV.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
they arent even on the same console...lol. animal crossing is huge for nintendo, but FF7 is also huge. i dunno who could take it and im not gonna bother to try to find out. im not really into animal crossing, but i wish that game all the success

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
FF7: Remake will *probably* be the better game.

However, as shown in the past, Animal Crossing does stupid numbers, especially with casual fans. It'll probably do better sales wise worldwide.

Though I might be underestimating how many people love FF7.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Final Fantasy will have a bigger opening. Its audience skews towards the more "traditional" gaming crowd, who are more likely to be pre-purchase/day one buyers.

But Animal Crossing could sell more long-term. Its audience is younger, older, and more female than not only FF7R, but also most of Nintendo's own series. It's like the Titanic of video game series. Teenage girls and old people kept that movie in theaters for almost a whole-ass year because they kept going back to see it over and over. Animal Crossing: New Leaf, that 2013 3DS game, still makes the occasional appearance in sales charts, particularly in Japan.

One other thing though will make this super close in the end is that PS4 games with Sony's marketing backing (which FF7R will surely have) have had freakishly long legs lately. Spider-Man for example is still selling great more than a year after release, albeit heavily discounted. On the other hand, the fact that FF7R is episodic could hurt it. I don't know. We'll have to see. I don't think FF7R is like other episodic games where you're literally just getting an unfinished part of a whole. FF7R will likely be bigger in scope and more self-contained than any other episodic game in the past.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
some numbers:

Final Fantasy 7: 12.3 million in ~22 years, released on PS1, PS3, PSP, Vita, PS4, PC, XBO, Switch, iOS and Android

Animal Crossing Wild World: 11.7 million on DS, sold in ~12 years
Animal Crossing New Leaf: 12.36 million on 3DS, sold in ~7 years, had an expanded re-release also available as a free update

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I'm sure you're aware of the other comparison threads that were locked right?

It isn't as easy as that, XV was a new mainline title, VII is a remake and is only a part of the whole game, there isn't even guarantee that it'll sell more than XV.
The game sold 12.3M as of now

Many people who played the game will buy the game due to nostalgia, and many others will see the game as a new release (like myself, since I've never completed the original).

It will have more going for it than a new entry in the franchise would, by a mile.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
I'm more interested in the Fairy Tale RPG tbh. But yeah, AC will probably take this.

There's also the possibility of Nintendo doing a AC + Switch lite bundle similar how they did with Pokemon lets go and Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
some numbers:

Final Fantasy 7: 12.3 million in ~22 years, released on PS1, PS3, PSP, Vita, PS4, PC, XBO, Switch, iOS and Android

Animal Crossing Wild World: 11.7 million on DS, sold in ~12 years
Animal Crossing New Leaf: 12.36 million on 3DS, sold in ~7 years, had an expanded re-release also available as a free update

Interesting. New Leaf only barely pass Wild World. Granted, the DS was much bigger than the 3DS, but still worth noting.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
AC on switch is coming off the series only having new leaf as its last entry 6-7 years ago, with no console release of the series in like 11 years and the mobile game, which has been a mild success.

nostalgia will be a strong play for both games,

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
I wonder how FF7 will resonate with younger audiences, does FF even appeal to the younger generations and people who didn't grow up with the series?

I predict AC will win this easily.

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I'm 36, grew up playing all FF games, and I will still be getting Animal Crossing. Might get FFVII part 1 at some stage later on in the year if I don't have anything else to play

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I expect VII Remake to be the much better game, but I think Animal Crossing is going to have legs.

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
If I were to really choose one on what to spend first? Animal Crossing for me. I love both games to death but because I'll be away from my ps4 during that month due to work, Animal Crossing is the one for me.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Life time maybe animal crossing. I'm guessing final fantasy has to do well right? Maybe if it has a bunch of other late releases on PC and Xbox too it can do even better, but Nintendo games have better legs. I think Final Fantasy will win in 2020 at least. I'm going to buy it! But I think I'll also buy Animal Crossing on switch as my first time playing the series.

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
It really depends.

The next AC game is a bit of a departure from the norm. Don't know how fans will respond to it, so I don't think it's a slam-dunk as historical sales would lead you to believe.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
True, but by the way people talked about New Leaf, I expected the numbers different to be a bit bigger.
It's kind of the way people talk about both Wild World and New Leaf.

I do think it's worth noting though that there was a game that came out between Wild World and New Leaf - City Folk came out on Wii in 2008 and it sold nowhere near as well as either the DS or 3DS game. I'm not an AC fan so I couldn't tell you why. At a glance, it has a significantly lower score on Metacritc than either WW or NL.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why are people so sure about FF7R rerelease on PS5/Next Xbox doing good number?
I thought the rumor is that PS5/Next Xbox will be backward compatible?
If so, what's the necessity of porting to a device that can already play it lol?
And even if there's slight upgrade on re-release, I'm not even sure many people is going to double dip considering the game is already playable.
Not to mention audience on PS4 and PS5 and XBox and Next Xbox are extremely likely to be the same crowd anyway, so little chance of reaching new audience.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, FF VII Remake Part 1 is maybe 1/3 of the whole experience. We should wait for all the parts to see how well the game as a whole did.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
It's kind of the way people talk about both Wild World and New Leaf.

I do think it's worth noting though that there was a game that came out between Wild World and New Leaf - City Folk came out on Wii in 2008 and it sold nowhere near as well as either the DS or 3DS game. I'm not an AC fan so I couldn't tell you why. At a glance, it has a significantly lower score on Metacritc than either WW or NL.

It was mostly because the Wii version of the game really didn't do anything new, the city part being undercooked, and it came off as just an up-res handheld game instead of a full console release.

That and Animal Crossing just lends itself better to handhelds since the game wants you to play everyday, which is easier when you can take your system with you.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Animal Crossing will keep selling as long as people are buying Switches, and then probably again on Nintendo's next platform. FFVIIRR will, IMO, have huge front loaded sales and then slip away quietly over the course of a year.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FF7R part 1 is going to be ported so many times I can't see any way how it will lose in the end to a Switch exclusive.

PS4, X1, PC, PS5, X2, Switch 2, who knows what else.

After seeing The Witcher 3 being able to run and DQXI having pretty good sales in Japan for the Switch, I actually wonder if FF7 Remake Part 1 itself may not be the next "no way that can't be on Switch ... oh shit it just got announced for Switch!" game after the exclusivity period on it runs out. As in ported to the Switch 1 itself. If not Switch 2 for sure.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Lol c'mon guys. I've no interest in animal crossing as a whole but the only way FF7 would sell more is at launch and that's a big maybe. AC will sell more in the long term easily and can still sell more at launch too

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

OP doesn't seem to be really talking about future possible entries or a possible complete edition or etc unless I missed something?

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I'm just curious.

Have you actually seen the sales for Last of Us Remastered?
The PS3 version of TLOU is notably not playable on PS4.

Not that I think it makes that much of a difference. I don't think the number of people who would double-dip for enhanced visuals, but wouldn't if the game was already playable on current hardware is significant. FF7R especially being an episodic release, with future episodes presumably being cross-gen or even next-gen exclusive, may see more double-dippers than usual. People like having their stuff in one place.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
FF7R part 1 is going to be ported so many times I can't see any way how it will lose in the end to a Switch exclusive.

PS4, X1, PC, PS5, X2, Switch 2, who knows what else.
I could see FF7 selling more initially, then Animal Crossing overtakes it, but over the course of the next 10 years with constant ports FF7 sells more.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
These will be two very successful games for two different audiences (with a little overlap of course). Probably VII Remake in the short term but AC will sell more by the end of 2020.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I could see FF7 selling more initially, then Animal Crossing overtakes it, but over the course of the next 10 years with constant ports FF7 sells more.
yeah this. as always SE games will just get bundled and sold for cheap. i got FFXV for less than a $1 and i didn't even want it. AC will remain full price for years.

units: FFVII
revenue: AC

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm the biggest FFVII fan going and am unbelievably hyped for the remake... I think AC will sell more units.

I know people who don't even play games who are looking forward to it. Don't understand the appeal myself but the games must do something right.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
I will buy Animal Crossing but I still believe FF7Remake will always be a step ahead sales wise

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think that will be enough to outsell the next AC game. As a matter of fact, most of Nintendo's bigger IP are surpassing that number these days.

AC is now where near UC right now which has done over 17 million plus in a shorter time.
In fact even most of Nintendo IP not reach that number yet on switch but i expect some will of course ( not that i think FFVIIR part 1 will sell that much).

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I'm getting Animal Crossing and probably won't get FF VII until next gen, I might even wait till all episodes are out.

Status
Not open for further replies.